• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Showdown: LOW Trailer (looks surprisingly good)

evil ways

I'm kinda torn on this game, on one hand I've seen actual gameplay videos with crappy animations, bad colission detection, wrestlers getting powerbombed and getting up to their feet before their opponents, and impactless looking moves, but on the other hand the game has Jake The Snake, Ravishing Rick Rude, Savage, Warrior etc.

I think I'll probably get it after it drops to $30.

I'm torn on this game as well. Wrestling games hold a special place in my heart. While I'm happy as hell King Of Colloseum 2 comes out in August, it will not be the early 90's WWF game I've always wanted. The thing is, I don't think this game will be either.

The trailer you posted looks fantastic, and I thank you for it. However, the in game movies I've seen show bad collision detection, lack of match pacing, and unrealistic moves for such legends. That, coupled with the memories of the horrid gameplay engine the first used and the all around shitty production of an Ak-Lame game have me hesitant.

All that being said, seeing all those kick ass legends...Andre throw Hogan across the ring like he's his bitch...Roddy Piper...and yes, The Ultimate Warrior have me thinking I may pick this up.

Those movies you posted aren't half bad, they certainly look better then the older movies I've seen. There's still the problem of non existant selling for certain moves, and the whole engine seems "off" at times. But, they look they'vd eone a good job of setting the old atmosphere up. I liked seeing those big blue mats on the outside, the moves looked pretty cool, and I even liked the cheesy announcing. I'm just hoping not everyone has the hulking up animation like I've heard they do...I might buy this.

yea the selling really bugs me. bish said they do sell moves but it takes a long ass time.

Its just when i see screens or movies of the game so many memories start flodding back. Im gonna take a chance on this game hopefully it has custom soundtracks for the xbox.

Also the commentating sucks.

I agree, the nostolgia has a hold of me. King Of Colloseum 2 will come out in August, and I know it will be a dynamite game. But, it will be a puro/MMA sim. Not a classic WWF sim like I want. We've never really had that, and it looks like LOW3 is the closest it's going to get. The roster is amazing...I wouldn't have to make anyone else, almost.

The commentating does suck...but were the real life commentators that much better? I think not! :D

Here is the updated Roster according to Gamefaqs.

Abdullah the Butcher
Lou Albano
Andre the Giant
Tony Atlas
Bob Backlund
Bam Bam Bigelow
Baron Von Raschke
Big John Studd
Diamond Dallas Page
Ted DiBiase
Jim Duggan
Dynamite kid
Dory Funk Jr.
Terry Funk
Robert Gibson
Eddie Gilbert
Billy Graham
Grand Wizard
Eddie Guerrero
Bret Hart
Jimmy Hart
Owen Hart
Bobby Heenan
Curt Hennig
Hulk Hogan
Iron Shiek
Rocky Johnson
Andy Kaufman
King Kong Bundy
Brian Knobbs
Nikita Koloff
Ivan Koloff
Koko B. Ware
Killer Kowalski
Jerry Lawler
Rick Martel
Mil Mascaras
Ricky Morton
Don Muraco
Mr. Fuji
One Man Gang
Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton
Brian Pillman
Roddy Piper
Ivan Putski
Harley Race
Road Warrior Animal
Road Warrior Hawk
Dusty Rhodes
Jake Roberts
Rick Rude
Sabu
Jerry Sags
Bruno Sammartino
Randy Savage
Tito Santana
the Shiek
Davey Boy Smith
Jimmy Snuka
Ricky Steamboat
George Steele
Rick Stiener
Scott Steiner
Sting
Ultimate Warrior
Greg Valentine
Sid Vicious
Nikolai Volkoff
Fritz Von Erich
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Von Erich
Steve Williams

73 so far

LATEST ADDITIONS

Tony Atlas – E3 Show
Steve Williams – E3 Show

I hope Yokuza is in this too!

:O

Mr Gump

Banned
Animation looks terrbile unconvincing, and the collision detection is absolutely pathetic.

Nothing new for a LOW game, nay, an acclaim game.

Really? I'd like to hear more. I had a dream last night I played this game and it sucked. That's happened before, nd its always been true. Boogie boogie.

I so want this game to rock...I really do.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wrestlers do sell in the game...if you beat on your opponent for about 20 minutes first. Luckily, Acclaim's booth wasn't busy so nobody was bothering me to get off the kiosk. :p Anyways like I said before, if you've played an AKI game in your life, you'll pick the controls in about 30 seconds - and while it's not the most technically polished title I've seen, waiting for a drop in price or renting it wouldn't be a bad idea.*

*based on my E3 impressions. This post is not legally binding.

Bish, bottom line. Was it fun? I know you just said it was basically...but I'm scared and I need you to hold me.

Also, you really found it similar to the AKI games in the control department? That's reassuring...because the first game played nothing like the AKI games IMO.

I'm buying it...I can't resist all the kickass wrestlers in the game. Its my childhood, damnit.

evil ways

bishoptl said:
Wrestlers do sell in the game...if you beat on your opponent for about 20 minutes first. Luckily, Acclaim's booth wasn't busy so nobody was bothering me to get off the kiosk. :p Anyways like I said before, if you've played an AKI game in your life, you'll pick the controls in about 30 seconds - and while it's not the most technically polished title I've seen, waiting for a drop in price or renting it wouldn't be a bad idea.*

*based on my E3 impressions. This post is not legally binding.

A few things I'd like to know, is it better than LOW 1 & 2, and Raw 2 at least?

I've watching a few old WWF PPVs all this week, mainly Wrestlemania 5 & 6, and Survivor Series 89 & 90 and my interest in this game grew quite a bit after checking out the full roster.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It pisses all over Raw 2 and the previous LOWs from a great height.

Ura-Nage, it's a pretty fun game despite the lack of polish at E3. I played it for at least 45 minutes to an hour each day of the expo. My main gripes were the lack of moves and move assignments - certain wrestlers should not be performing high flying leaps off the top rope, ya dig?

Old-school fans will have a good time with this, and I'd definitely pick it up as a second-tier wrestler to pull out when friends are over.

bishoptl said:
It pisses all over Raw 2 and the previous LOWs from a great height.

Ura-Nage, it's a pretty fun game despite the lack of polish at E3. I played it for at least 45 minutes to an hour each day of the expo. My main gripes were the lack of moves and move assignments - certain wrestlers should not be performing high flying leaps off the top rope, ya dig?

Old-school fans will have a good time with this, and I'd definitely pick it up as a second-tier wrestler to pull out when friends are over.

Wow, thank you. I know you have a deep appreciation for wrestling games, so your opinion has a lot of value with me.

I heard you can edit the movesets of in game wrestlers. I don't want Andre doing a moonsault either. To hear its allot better then the old LOW makes me a happy man. Thanks again.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm amazed...it actually looks GOOD in the videos that are linked in this thread. Commentary sounds nice, too. May have to pick this one up.

Nostalgia has really caught hold of me with this game.

I cant wait to set up these matches:
Bret vs Henning
Bret vs Owen
Bret vs Piper
Hogan vs Andre
Hogan vs Warrior
Steamboat vs Savage
Sting vs Vader
King Kong bundy vs The rock and rool express

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Im sure they have a Flair model in CAW too.

"that is the most horrible page I've ever been to. Gee, I know. Let's auto-load 5 movies."

must be your browser.

hey dudes :D

Legends.jpg

^^^^
And, it doesn't have all the spotlight wrestlers. God damn, that's allot of guys. Cool find, Kabuki.

The game doesn't have Vader, hopefully he can be created fairly easily.

btw, there was a caw pic and it had premade movesets. One was "country boy". People speculate that was Nature boy Flair's moveset.

I'm not expecting the second coming with this game, I just want it to be fun and have my old faves. Fuck, I miss that era of wrestling. I really do.

evil ways

Damn, I'm sold. That roster alone is reason enough for me to pick it up. You can literally re-enact hundreds of classic feuds and matches.

First match I'll sim will be Ravishing Rick Rude vs Ultimate Warrior on a steel cage from Summer Slam 90'.

Bog

Junior Ace
I've seen videos of Andre doing Jericho-like moves. Until that crap gets fixed, this is a no-buy.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I really didn't like what I played at e3. Much like previous games in the series, the gameplay felt stiff and unresponsive. Granted, this was after about 10 minutes of play but nothing I experienced drew me back to it on subsequent show days.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hopefully there will be a ton of FAQ's on how to create alot of classic wrestlers.. while this has a ton (and my personal fav the macho man) there are several MIA's that I must have. HBK, Flair come to mind.

To the on about the movesets, well you'll be able to fix those easily.

Every character will have 2 movesets, a Classic moveset which contains ONLY the moves they did. Which in Andres case will be fairly limited.

And the other is the one ou currently see everywhere, with the newer moves and techniques. So no worries, all will be fine.

evil ways

PSW(Playstation World) gave it 6/10
PSM(UK) gave it a 72%

Both magazines complained about bad and repetitive AI, the lack of impact in moves and how wrestlers seem impervious to pain(no selling).

I think I'll wait at least a day after the game comes out and there are more reviews and impressions until I rush out and buy it, I don't want my nostalgia to send $50 right down the shitter.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If I had to guess I would say the person that they were controlling was eliminated... then it just cut to the eventual winner. I noticed that too, but chalked it up to them losing.

Fuck, this game looks fun. Biff's one liners from the latest videos.

+I love the look of the game. The cartoony, action figure look and sets look so cool. They remind me of why I love that era of wrestling. I really love seeing the Sid and Martel vid...they both look so cool.

-Selling is nearly non existant. Guys only hold their backs when hurt. No arms, legs, head holding. Worse, they bounce back up in seconds.

-Life bars suck for wrestling games.

-Submission holds aren't held on long enough.

+Many moves seem to lack impact.

+Some of the animations, while akward are just great. I like that allot of it looks fake, like some of the terrible matches way back when. If this is intentional, I don't know. I really like it though. The duck unders, the way the wrestlers pick themselves up when they are about to be slammed...it looks really real.

+CAW looks pretty good. Huge step up over the first game.

+Camera is pretty good. Especially over the shitty tag team camera of old. Looks just like the AKI camera.

+Lots of cool old school moves like the heart punch, wind up elbow drop...

+good height and weight differences.

-Not sure how much match pacing there is.

+/- Movesets are way off. Valentine doing the stunner, Martel with the flying head scissors...thankfully, the movesets can be edited.

Biff's bottom line: Problems aside and shitty reviews not withstanding, I'm buying this the day it hits. There's nothing else coming out till NCAA that I want, and this game looks like it plays semi decent. That, with the look and roster make it a must buy for me. If it sucks, it sucks. If it's good, well hell...I have a decent wrestling game with the roster of my childhood. Not to shabby.

damn Right Biff

I dont see this game dissapointing me due to already low(pun intended) expectations and nostalgia.

Really if i am enjoying watchign these videos so much im sure ill like the game.

maynerd

Banned
What was the last game that was good from Acclaim (other than burnout) just curious cause I can't think of one.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just wish this game could use old WWF characters. It would be hellasweet if it had Demolition and the old Undertaker.

Still thats one hell of a roster and I will be giving this game a shot.

after (finally) getting King Of Colosseum Green and the 'hacked' save file with Red wrestlers last month, that LOW shit looks like .. well .. shit ..

it's all FP/KOC for me from now on... i don't even play the AKI games anymore...

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
The Faceless Master said:
after (finally) getting King Of Colosseum Green and the 'hacked' save file with Red wrestlers last month, that LOW shit looks like .. well .. shit ..

it's all FP/KOC for me from now on... i don't even play the AKI games anymore...

I agree 100%. KOC2 is going to own me for months. Yuki Kondo is going to eat an endless number of Josh Barnett german suplexes.

If Aki would just make a new VPW, all would be right with the world.

evil ways

+I love the look of the game. The cartoony, action figure look and sets look so cool. They remind me of why I love that era of wrestling. I really love seeing the Sid and Martel vid...they both look so cool.

The game's character models somewhat remind me of the old WWF Hasbro action figure commercials that played right before every PPV on home video.

Oh yeah, here's a question for you, Bish. Did the striking in the game feel clunky? That was a major gripe for me in the first game, and I hear dits still there. If it is, it is. I just hope it isn't.

Top Bottom