• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Showdown: LOW Trailer (looks surprisingly good)

They have to have the skydome, that's where Hogan/Warrior fought for the championship at WMVI.

If only knowledge like this would advance me somehow in the world.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=050247#000015

Ok I'll try to answer all the questions I can without getting myself into any trouble.

Jester II: The stunner and pedigree are out of the game. You can still find them in the Create-A-Legend section. I also made sure that any motions with obvious and known gestures were removed.

Daniel: The movesets are completely different from the previous two versions of the game. The previous design team wanted everyone to have access to every move, but we did away with that and I assigned each move for each wrestler. Yes, there are still some moves in there that these guys never did, but they are, at least, realistic. I chose moves that each person could have done based upon their individual style of wrestling. IE you will never see Andre doing a moonsault or Kaufman bodyslamming anyone.

Tomer: The control system is light years better than the previous version IMO. Its really easy to pick up and play and no more golf swing meter nonsense. We've had a lot of feedback that its a serious improvement over the previous two games. Lemme know what you think about it...

RW Yajuta: I'm not sure why we didn't do a GC version of the game. I'm not the one that made that decision. Sorry about that...

BPapa: Yea I remember your bugs Brian...they are all pretty dead-on and I could tell you were a wrestling fan like myself. I'm glad you caught the costume bug for the Classic matches, because I submitted that to the programmers for implementation but it got lost in the shuffle and it wasn't noticed until your bug came up.

This is my first bout with game design, and its been a great experience. I think this version of LOW is a serious step in the right direction by Acclaim because they recognize the need for it to be a top-notch franchise. I also give them kudos for hiring a wrestling fan (me) to help with the game. I'm really proud of the job I did, and hope you all enjoy the game.

This guy seems like a pretty well known poster on wrestlingclassics.com I'm familiar with that board, and the people there really know their shit on old school wrestling. I'm going through his post now (Wooo, this is what I do on my Friday!) and I noticed he has topics like "Ten moves that are a must for a pro wrestler?". I like that...it shows he was looking into what fans want.

Kingpen

Wish I could still get an answer on "defend titles in exhibition mode"... looks like the longer it is not revealed, the less likely it will be in. Still sounds like a fun game though.

Things Biff noticed in CA mode-

Oldschool Undertaker shirt (Awww yeah)
Dude Love shirt
Big Bossman shirt (Hell yes)
Kane outfit
Shirt tie/possibly for mankind...
Angle tops
Nash
And of course the cactus Jack top.

Lots of names to select too, nice.

evil ways

Yessssss!! Muta face paint!!

Muta1.jpg

Muuuuuutaaaaaa!!

muta.jpg

Muuuutaaaaa!!

greatmuta08.jpg

I noticed the name Earthquake in the list of pre-made names too. NICE! And it's about time someone recognized the historical attraction of the Greensboro Coliseum!

JohnDoe8865 said:
I noticed the name Earthquake in the list of pre-made names too. NICE! And it's about time someone recognized the historical attraction of the Greensboro Coliseum!

Nice...I just looked back there and I noticed they have a bunch of old wrestler names in the first names section. I imagine the rest of the names would be in the last name part. Here's what I saw.

Bad News (Brown), Barbarian, Big Boss (Man), Blue (Blazer), Booker, Brooklyn (Brawler), Brutus (Beefcake), Bubba Ray, Cactus, Chief (Jay Strong Bow), Christian, Classy (Freddie Blassy), Dino (Bravo), Diesel, Edge, and Elizabeth (Hell Yes).

Demolition.

ISpeaking of them, I'm sure their chest equip is in the game.

Anyhow, this thread will never die (at least until I get the game and see if it suxxx or not).

From gamingring-

NEWS:
Mike and I are teaming up to let me describe each character and how cool it is. First let me say Acclaim, by the looks of things, has really outdid themselves here. Graphics are EXCELLENT, and it looks like a real wrestling match going on.

First, lets profile Hulk Hogan

Hogan has a nice move set, with many of his real moves, and its unbelievable how it looks like him.

Hogan's trademark clothesline where he bounces off the ropes (like no one else) is in the game. So are many other of his moves.

Now, unfortunately, he does not rip the shirt off in the beta version, although that COULD change (it wont, lets be realistic).

Hogan has the taunt of him Hulking up and pointing, it appears to be all one taunt.

Mike is cheating, btw. You can tell which character he plays as because it keeps doing the same move over and over LOL just kidding mike you're my pal.

Mike has good Hulk Hogan(From 02) going against Hollywood Hogan (From WCW 99) and its quite a match. Bad Hulk has pulled a guitar out from under the ring my God. Now he has a broom. What a monstor! (Who cares who did it, its all Hulkster vs. Hulkster).

Some of hulks moves include a back suplex, russian legsweep, half boston crab, snapmare takeover, signature clothesline, bodyslam, military press slam, diamond cutter, as well as the big boot.

Overall, looks like a GREAT Hulk Hogan, perhaps capturing him better than any other game yet. I'd say Hogan fans are in for a treat.

w00t!

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now....wow, big videos. Kick ass match type too...they are really kicking ass with all this coverage. The game must be good to devote this much time to it.

uhm...holy shit. This is awesome. Closest thing to a 3-D wrestlefest ever.

The only problems I see are...

The caws don't look so good, but that could just be this guy's caw making skills. he's said that he's not to hot in that department.

The selling needs work, definitely.

Some moves are repeated.

All that being said, this game looks NICE. The good points I see are...

The action is so smooth. It really flows.

Some really cool moves there.

Reversals are sick. Really, look how well they flow with the action. They look like ones I've seen in matches too...

Character models are fantastic. Hogan looks to be the best. I'm not his biggest fan, but it was cool as hell to see him block the punch and hol up. It looked real.

Match types will keep this sucker going longevity wise. To long I've seen gimmicky match types that had no substance...now with these 8 man tag matches and 4 way tag elmination bouts, there's some real substance.

The action is just incredible. It reminds me of wrestlefest, the amount of characters in the game. The ref...the jam packed arena. They really scored presentation wise.

Best of all it just looks fun.

Gamingring.com gives Showdown 9/10!!!

http://www.gamingring.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000087

To be honest, I wasnt expecting a lot from this game. After all, Acclaim's past wrestling games have left a lot to be desired. But that was then, and this is now. After spending a considerable amount of time with this game, it is safe to say that real wrestling gamers will absolutely love this game. Sure, there are some problems here and there and a few missing items that would have made this title unbeatable, but what is here is enough for me to finally give Acclaim some major props. Showdown: Legends of Wrestling is a absolute blast to play. Its fun, the graphics are realistic, and top of the line realistic, plus, the game provides a ton of replay with its multiplayer options.

The roster is probably one of the most impressive aspects about this game. Pretty much every major superstar and legend thats currently not under a WWE contract is in the game. Acclaim even managed to snag some Latino Heat to be in this game. I hope next time that they add some Japanese wrestling legends to the roster. Imagine the possibilities. Vader, Hansen, Misawa, Kawada, Akiyama, Mutoh, Hase, Chono, and Lyger together with the legends that are currently in the game. It would be perfect. But please, next time for the love of all that is holy, please include Bobo Brazil. You have The Sheik, you have Cobo Arena. This game needs Bobo.

Showdown packs the modes in this time around. Acclaim has always had a large assortment of modes and different match types and this year is no different. From 8 man elimenation tag matches to battle royals to table, ladder and cage matches pretty much all of the modes that a wrestling gamer could want are in the game. The story mode renamed this year to the Showdown challenge is very different from last years LOW 2. Its basically a series of matches with the against the different eras of wrestling champions. The 70s where you face Harley Race and Bruno Sammartino. The 80s where you face Hulk Hogan and the 90s where you face Sting and Ultimate Warrior.

The graphics, as you can see in the movies and screens provided are excellent. This is easily one of the best looking wrestling games released yet. The inclusion of real licensed arenas is a major coup and it makes you wonder why it hasnt been done before as it adds so much to the game.

The gameplay has recieved a significant overhaul from its last outing. Fans of previous LOW games will feel at ease, but there is enough here new for those who found the LOW gameplay to be lacking. For example, there are now 2 grapple buttons.The Y button serves as the ready attack button and by pressing the left analog stick in conjunction with the Y button, you have yet another attack. By pressing the Y button, you can link moves into combos that add more oomph to your attacks. You also can block and counter moves by pressing the X button. The A button serves as the strike button. And depending on the direction you press the the left analog stick you chose from light, medium and hard strikes or kicks. The B button is your primary grapple. Like the other buttons, you can have different moves by pressing the left analog stick in different directions. All told, you can have four ready attack moves, four Grapple attacks and four strikes from the four standing positions. Front, Back, Groggy Front, Groggy Back. The game has a momentum meter that builds when you string together attacks against your opponent. Once your meter is full, by moving the right analog control stick, you can perform your wrestlers finishing move. The right analog stick also serves as your taunt button. The black button calls your partner in the ring or in the steel cage match calls for the ref to open up the door. While outside, the black button takes a weapon from under the ring. The left button serves as a climb button which allows you to climb the cage or turnbuckles. It also allows you to climb in and out of the ring. The controls are much more intuitive this time around than previously, and the matches have a better flow because of that. The wrestlers still don't sell as much as I would like, but what is there is enough to see that is the direction they are going with this series.

The presentation is also greatly improved this time around. The commentary with Tony Schivonie, Bobby "the Brain" Heenan and "the Living Legend" Larry Zbysko is the best commentary ever heard in a wrestling game. I was a huge WCW fan back in 96 to 98 and hearing them banter back and forth really brought back some great memories. The inclusion of the ring announcer who can actually announce your name and hometown is a great feature for this game. From Norfolk, Virginia, Mike Regan. Its perfect, and despite the fact that you wont be able to rip your own music for your entrance its still done very well. The only nitpick that I can honestly say is that sometimes the commentary repeats itself a bit but its nothing that takes away enjoyment from the game. The tutorial with Bret "the Hitman" Hart is a nice feature that helps bring you up to speed to the game quickly.

The create a legend feature has also recieved a significant improvement. I was able to make very good likenesses of Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Doink, Goldust, and Kevin Nash. I just wish that the music ripping option was in this game. Another thing I also wish that they added more options and animations for the entrance for your caws. Many consider that the best feature in Raw 2 and they're right, It is.

Overall, Showdown: Legends of Wrestling is a huge improvement and it jumpstarts this series. THQ finally has competition for themselves. Acclaim has done a bang up job with Showdown. There used to be a old arcade game called WWF Wrestlefest and I used to spend a ton of quarters on that game. Showdown is Wrestlefest brought to the next generation. Its a fun game to play and a absolute blast on multiplayer. There are problems to be sure, but what Acclaim has given is enough to forgive those problems and nitpicks. If you buy one wrestling game for the Xbox this year, make it Acclaim's Showdown: Legends of Wrestling.

Jeremy aka the Peeps will have his take on Showdown Legends of Wrestling shortly.

The Last Word.

Acclaim brings the pain and finally makes a great playing and more importantly fun wrestling game. Showdown Legends of Wrestling is the best wrestling game released this year so far.

Graphics: 8 out of 10
Sound: 9 out of 10
Gameplay: 9 out of 10
Replayability: 10 out of 10
Create A Wrestler mode: 7 out of 10

Overall: 9 out of 10(Not a average)

Follow the link to see hundreds of megs of high quality showdown vids and screens.

DMczaf

Ok, Legends of Wrestling series finally has a good game

Now if Acclaim would make the first good Turok game in 6 years.

The only thing i am worried about is that there seems to be a lack of moves and NO Music RIPPING!!!

I cant wait to get this game!

Biff can't wait. To pass the time I'm watching old WWF matches. I just watched UW VS Macho Man with a run in from Rick Rude. Man, Rick Rude was fucking great. Really, I can't wait to use him.

I also noticed they have Brutus The Barber Beefcake's haircut taunt in the create a Legend. That is fucking cool. I modeled myself after Brutus at a young age.

I'll either make Brutus or classic Undertaker to start with. I watched the survivor series where UT debuts and it reminded me of some of the videos I've seen. Especially Dusty hitting his Bionic elbow. They got that dead on.

evil ways

Biff Hardbody said:
Biff can't wait. To pass the time I'm watching old WWF matches. I just watched UW VS Macho Man with a run in from Rick Rude. Man, Rick Rude was fucking great. Really, I can't wait to use him.

Kazaa is our friend.

I have a few tapes starting from the 89 Survivor Series all the way to the 91 Survivor Series except Wrestlemania 6. So I got a few matches online including Andre vs Warrior, Savage vs Warrior, Hogan vs Bundy(cage) and Rude vs Warrior from WM5.

Last night I was watching WWF Superstars with Mean Gene and Hillbilly Jim, and Mr. Perfect & The Genius stole the WWF title from Hogan and destroyed it, then Warrior defended the IC title against Dino Bravo. Great stuff, especially seeing the commercial for WWF Wrestlemania for Nintendo 8-bit.

evil ways said:
Kazaa is our friend.

I have a few tapes starting from the 89 Survivor Series all the way to the 91 Survivor Series except Wrestlemania 6. So I got a few matches online including Andre vs Warrior, Savage vs Warrior, Hogan vs Bundy(cage) and Rude vs Warrior from WM5.

Last night I was watching WWF Superstars with Mean Gene and Hillbilly Jim, and Mr. Perfect & The Genius stole the WWF title from Hogan and destroyed it, then Warrior defended the IC title against Dino Bravo. Great stuff, especially seeing the commercial for WWF Wrestlemania for Nintendo 8-bit.

Damn right about Kazaa. I just watched Rude/Warrior Wrestlemania V and it fucking rocked. Rick Rude is my new God. I hope they have his wrestlemania V attire, although I doubt they will (It has the WWF IC belt on it).

I also just downloaded a bunch of other stuff, including the complete '89 Royal Rumble.

I hear you about the old tapes and WWF superstars...fun stuff. Really, its great.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm seriously pissed that the Xbox version doesn't support custom soundtracks. I'll get it anyways because of the shortened loading times, but still...the best part (hell, the only part worth mentioning) of Raw 2 was the ability to create your own entrances with custom music.

bishoptl said:
I'm seriously pissed that the Xbox version doesn't support custom soundtracks. I'll get it anyways because of the shortened loading times, but still...the best part (hell, the only part worth mentioning) of Raw 2 was the ability to create your own entrances with custom music.

Some Programmer guy at Operation Sports said it still has custom soundtracks. Since the gamering guy didnt review the final version of the game im still hopping its some last minute edition.

One of the programmers on wrestlingclassics.com confirmed that there are no custom soundtracks.

I wonder when the Ign/GS reviews will be up...

Top Bottom