• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Oh yes it does
iP3pPInICiZAy.jpg

iThZTCmCyCQfi.jpg

iwwt7GgKUVv5Q.jpg

I think this looks fucking phenomenal.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ok, I was exaggerating when I said "no one" but are you really trying to claim people were heavily invested in SH1 for the story when it first came out? The characters were pretty stiff and the basic plot itself is kinda confusing, and not in a smart way.

Yes, actually. And a single game does not the series make. The mythos have only been built upon and slowly revealed over the series as it has come. It's genuinely one of the best horror realms with quite a bit of depth to it. Things we'll never know or understand.

The resolution of Harry's story in SH3 was the most emotional part of the damn franchise. that guy is high as a kite.

That car ride after the event still gets me.

Ok, I was exaggerating when I said "no one" but are you really trying to claim people were heavily invested in SH1 for the story when it first came out? The characters were pretty stiff and the basic plot itself is kinda confusing, and not in a smart way.

actually, yes. Silent hill was notable when it came out in that the game was completely ambiguous as to whether there was some kind of demon invasion going on, or harry was simply dead and hallucinating the whole thing. There were a LOT of unanswered questions and crazy things but no definitive resolution.

There were massive conspiracy theories all over about what actually happened during the game, and what the canon ending was until silent hill 3 launched. Silent hill 2 not addressing any of it was madness.

Lime

Silent Hill fans are kinda crazy.

Also Kojima's storytelling brought us MGS1-3, if you didn't at least enjoy that I don't know what the fuck to tell you. SH1 and 3's stories weren't exactly amazing either. SH has never actually been about the story as much as its been about the delivery of the world itself. No one actually cared about Harry or the Cult or whatever the hell was going with Alessa, but the atmosphere of the game drew me in.

You need to separate storytelling from story to understand what I am talking about. I.e. plot and discourse are two separate things. And in the case of Kojima in MGS1-3, while the stories were engaging with interesting themes, his storytelling, i.e. the way he/Konami conveyed the plot was extremely simplistic and straightforward. He employed standard narrative discourse devices such as the expository codec calls with characters spelling it out very clearly what the plot was about or what characterized different characters.

Meanwhile, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 subtly used level design, monster design, art direction, etc. to hint at the plot without mostly never explicitly informing the player what the actual plot was about or what the characters in question were suffering from or what motivated them.

There's a world of difference in styles of storytelling (narrative discourse) between Metal Gear Solid 1-3 and Silent Hill 1-3.

...Yeah they did not get Norman Reedus just to to a teaser video at the end of a teaser game.

You're not understanding where I am coming from. Thanks to the final image of the disconnect between the game and the teaser, I was entertaining the possibility that Norman might be a character in the game, but not necessarily the protagonist. Incredibly naive perhaps, but I was just hoping for the sake of hoping :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That twitch stream with her screaming at the end for the reveal is just so great. I mean wow. Totally blindsided.

Amazing.

Tookay

You need to separate storytelling from story to understand what I am talking about. I.e. plot and discourse are two separate things. And in the case of Kojima in MGS1-3, while the stories were engaging with interesting themes, his storytelling, i.e. the way he/Konami conveyed the plot was extremely simplistic and straightforward. He employed standard narrative discourse devices such as the expository codec calls with characters spelling it out very clearly what the plot was about or what characterized different characters.

Meanwhile, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 subtly used level design, monster design, art direction, etc. to hint at the plot without mostly never explicitly informing the player what the actual plot was about or what the characters in question were suffering from or what motivated them.

There's a world of difference in styles of storytelling (narrative discourse) between Metal Gear Solid 1-3 and Silent Hill 1-3.

But the best parts of those games where the parts where he fucked with the player's expectations and sense of reality.

-Stuff like Psycho Mantis breaking the fourth wall in MGS1.
-The whole section on Arsenal Gear where the game literally seems to be breaking down in MGS2.
-The Sorrow boss fight and its creative solution (plus its punishment for killing enemies throughout) in MGS3.

Yes, he's straightforward when he needs to be, but he's also pretty good at the psychological/subversive stuff as well.

MNC

We've had white abled young/middle-aged dudes for 6 out 7 entries in the Silent Hill series. I think it would be nice with some change and experimentation.

But maybe that's just me. I like when developers try to push boundaries and provide diverse experiences within the same psychological horror premises, instead of trite formulaic by-the-numbers experiences, you know.

I've only played 3 Silent Hill games, but James from 2 already felt completely different from all the cookie cutter "white male" video game characters. Does a character need to be a different race to separate itself from the rest?

DNAbro

You're not understanding where I am coming from. Thanks to the final image of the disconnect between the game and the teaser, I was entertaining the possibility that Norman might be a character in the game, but not necessarily the protagonist.

well P.T is pretty ambiguous with it's story. the only thing i got from it is [
the character you are playing as killed his family. I assumed the ghost lady was your wife.

Lime

But the best parts of those games where the parts where he fucked with the player's expectations and sense of reality.

-Stuff like Psycho Mantis breaking the fourth wall in MGS1.
-The whole section on Arsenal Gear where the game literally seems to be breaking down in MGS2.
-The Sorrow boss fight and its creative solution (plus its punishment for killing enemies throughout).

Yes, he's straightforward when he needs to be, but he's also pretty good at the psychological breakdown stuff as well.

I don't disagree. As someone mentioned earlier, Kojima's "crazy" would be amazing if *if* properly executed and implemented in a Silent Hill game. I'm just afraid of his straightforward way of conveying themes, characterization and plot with lots of exposition.

I've only played 3 Silent Hill games, but James from 2 already felt completely different from all the cookie cutter "white male" video game characters. Does a character need to be a different race to separate itself from the rest?

Not necessarily race/skin color. Age or ability perhaps. An old woman. A disabled person. An Arab. Who knows, just mix it up instead of repeating what we've seen for 6 out of 7 entries.

I agree James was different than the usual male video game character (same with Harry). Unfortunately the subsequent games kind of ran the type into the ground, I think.

Yeah just insult me directly that's gonna really change my opinion on it. Harry dying was sad largely due to him being the player character, but beyond that I'm not sure how one argues what was the most "emotional" scene in the series or why that matters.
Silent Hill fans are kinda crazy.

Also Kojima's storytelling brought us MGS1-3, if you didn't at least enjoy that I don't know what the fuck to tell you. SH1 and 3's stories weren't exactly amazing either. SH has never actually been about the story as much as its been about the delivery of the world itself. No one actually cared about Harry or the Cult or whatever the hell was going with Alessa, but the atmosphere of the game drew me in.

Nice double standards there Jones.

Anyway. You are completely wrong when it comes to Silent Hill story. There's a lot, A LOT of people invested in the story and mythos.

And yes, I enjoyed MGS1 & 3's stories because they were a bit simpler and more grounded (even if MGS3 retroactively shat on the MG/S continuity). MGS2 & 4's were just too damn stupid.

Anyway. I am pumped. PUMPED.

Well... that is certainly a thing.

I look forward to seeing how this develops, but it's nice to see Konami at least putting a little more effort into one of my favorite IPs again.

Wasn't there someone else mentioned that Del Toro wanted to work with in a game in addition to Norman Reedus?

Since Reedus is in, could that mean we know of at least one other cast member?

He was telling a different story in those games, one that kinda left itself open for a more direct approach, and somehow even with his "simplistic" storytelling his games managed to have rather in depth articles on them like "Dreaming in an Empty Room". For everything he told directly to the player, there was still a lot left open for discussion until MGS4 shit up everything. He planned on ending the story with 2 so I'm not really shocked that 4 was silly as hell, but when he really throws himself into it the man can write a very deep and layered story with some real meaning to it.

Edit-The kinda crazy thing is a joke. I am a Silent Hill fan. The series is easily one of my biggest influences. Also seriously missing my point about the actual plot being a mess, characters being stiff etc. What people got into was speculation around Silent Hill as a whole. 2 is pretty much the only game in the series where the characters were all the interesting to me.

True enough.

Is Silent Hill still popular enough to move PS4s in Japan?

probably not. this one appears squarely targeted at the west with the whole Del Toro and Norman Reedus bits. Castlevania LOS and LOS2 were also VERY western targeted as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if konami is just writing off japan.

Is this running on the Fox engine?

Damn, I like the concept of the SH series but have never played one entirely though. Get scared shitless too much. But I love the first movie lol. Gotta say this is really fantastic. A really interesting pairing.

Sanke__

I honestly can't remember the last time my mind was this blown by an announcement and I've never even played a silent hill game before.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is this running on the Fox engine?

Damn, I like the concept of the SH series but have never played one entirely though. Get scared shitless too much. But I love the first movie lol. Gotta say this is really fantastic. A really interesting pairing.

Yes.

I honestly can't remember the last time my mind was this blown by an announcement and I've never even played a silent hill game before.

Damn shame it's next to impossible to get a hold of Silent Hill 2 if you don't have an off-shore account or access to a PS2 with the copy of the game.

Astral

So Kojima is finally working on a Silent Hill game like he wanted to. Fucking nice. Holy fuck I need a PS4 right now!

Now here is a scary pic P.T. This might be the type sights we will get from silent hill.

10535640_1460580997546590_6007441654552882222_o.jpg

Wow this pic literally gave me chills. I've gotta look this up on youtube now.

Top Bottom