• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Despera

Banned
Silent Hill was always 3rd person view. When a new developer takes over a franchise they normally want to stay true to the series.

Check the ending of the demo they even said the game won't be like that.

They won't fuck this up.
In what way is changing the perspective to 1st person "fucking it up"?

I understand that it's very likely the game won't be in first person after all is said and done, but I think staying true to the series doesn't necessarily mean following everything they did in the past to a tee.

EGM1966

I don't think it will be first person and after playing the teaser, I think that's a real shame. I feel Amnesia and Zombi U have shown that the first person perspective is ideal for the genre.
I disagree for Silent Hill though - I love that perspective when you're essentially a voiceless avatar and it's all about the experience (works well in Outlast too) but for me the best Silent Hill is Silent Hill 2 and that means characters, characters you come to understand and characters you need to see.

The whole narrative with James and whatever did happen with his wife wouldn't work as well in first person in my view - I don't want to "pretend I'm James" I want to observe him in action and slowly peel back the layers of what's going on in his troubled mind.

That being said if the nail the tone and aim for SH2 I'll take it whether it's TP or FP.

If they make SP work then fine.

Lucifon

I don't think it will be first person and after playing the teaser, I think that's a real shame. I feel Amnesia and Zombi U have shown that the first person perspective is ideal for the genre.

I agree. I think you really lose something when you pull out to third person - the connection between the player and the game character is lost and instead it becomes that you're controlling someone else rather than yourself in a world. That's the only way I can describe it. And with that it would certainly make things less immersive for me and thus less scary.

sub_o

So this is the surprise that Geoff Keighley talking about. I thought some people warned us to not trust Keighley.

Tututruuu

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
In what way is changing the perspective to 1st person "fucking it up"?

I understand that it's very likely the game won't be in first person after all is said and done, but I think staying true to the series doesn't necessarily mean following everything they did in the past to a tee.

Uh yeah making Silent Hill a first person only game is pretty close to fucking it up imo. Everything would change, the combat etc.

Why can't we have both first and third person views?

I'd think this happens yeah. Main is 3rd person but you can switch to first person or something like that.

Lernaean

Banned
P.T. Is a teaser and probably has nothing to do with the final game. I'm certain that first person was chosen to give you fewer hints about it being Silent Hill(s).
I bet and i hope it's standard third person.

omonimo

Banned
I expected this first or later. My only concern it's we will never seen again something like the glorious past silent hill but something of different.

I'd think this happens yeah. Main is 3rd person but you can switch to first person or something like that.

This would be my conclusion.
They're using the fox engine, we can see how much detail they can render in the environments (which we wouldn't necessarily see clearly if it were third person), and how important the first person perspective was to creating the sense of fear in the teaser (with the sound effects as though coming into the player's ear and whatnot) so I can see them having the option to switch to first-person view so we can appreciate both of these things more.

Why can't we have both first and third person views?

I mean, we could considering Silent Hill 4.

202822-header.jpg

UrbanRats

Well, in retrospect, I guess I am glad that this Silent Hill supposedly won't have a female protagonist, sad it may be that we're presumably getting another white dude as the player character.

If people aren't aware of how misogynistic or problematic Kojima can be when it comes to gender representation, read this article or this one or this one
Considering the tweet itself mentions SH2 (male protagonist) i don't think that would change much.
i enjoy MGS in its wacky stupidity, but i don't want Kojima writing a Silent Hill no matter who the protagonist is.

i guess as long as he's there only to supervise the project not being shit, it'll be fine, though.

Despera

Banned
Uh yeah making Silent Hill a first person only game is pretty close to fucking it up imo. Everything would change, the combat etc.
The original Silent Hill games had very basic and sluggish combat. It was never the focus of the series.

But yeah... a mixture of 1st and 3rd person would be fine. As long as they utilize the perspective most fitting of each scenario.

Lime

Considering the tweet itself mentions SH2 (male protagonist) i don't think that would change much.
i enjoy MGS in its wacky stupidity, but i don't want Kojima writing a Silent Hill no matter who the protagonist is.

i guess as long as he's there only to supervise the project not being shit, it'll be fine, though.

Agreed

glottis8

Banned
Just watched that video. That girl was annoying. ... they really need to stop giving announcement or builds to these people... or if they do, still put up a gameplay trailer with no commentary. They just really take away from the immersion of what they are trying to do. She talked all through.

ok.. now thats out of the way. The outside looks amazing.

I hope this is developed by kjp. i hope the combat is finally good IF they decide there should be combat, and i hope finally del toro can deliver a good SH story. There has been not a good one since 3 i guess.

Klyka

Banned
Just watched that video. That girl was annoying. ... they really need to stop giving announcement or builds to these people... or if they do, still put up a gameplay trailer with no commentary. They just really take away from the immersion of what they are trying to do. She talked all through.

ok.. now thats out of the way. The outside looks amazing.

I hope this is developed by kjp. i hope the combat is finally good IF they decide there should be combat, and i hope finally del toro can deliver a good SH story. There has been not a good one since 3 i guess.

Look son, no one gave her that demo. no one asked her or paid her to make that video.
Just like everyone else she downloaded the demo from PSN last night and then she was the first one to actually figure it out and beat it.

That video you see? That's a highlight from her twitch stream which was watched by 3 people at the time.
Then I made this thread and linked her video and BAM Internet explode.

Lime

It's a recording of a livestream of a regular person playing the game, not an official trailer or reveal or anything.

Crunch King

Neo Member
I think this just jumped to the top of my most wanted list.

I mean, DAMN. Kojima and Del Toro? Yes please.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are two of my favourite games of all time. I don't expect this to be like them, but hopefully it can be excellent (and scary!) in its own right.

Z0mbicide

Banned
Any speculation on what the Silent Hill(s) moniker could mean?

Multiple main characters? Separate story arcs? A way to tie in all the disparate game story lines?

I'm excited over the possibilities.

And why are people writing off 1st person so readily? We can have a mixture of the two. How many examples do you need that both do work when necessary?

WITHE1982

Any speculation on what the Silent Hill(s) moniker could mean?

Multiple main characters? Separate story arcs? A way to tie in all the disparate game story lines?

I'm excited over the possibilities.

And why are people writing off 1st person so readily? We can have a mixture of the two. How many examples do you need that both do work when necessary?

I think there was a graphic a few pages back saying "this demo is in no way related to the final product". I'm guessing people are just putting 2+2 together.

I have a hunch it will be 3rd person though. I believe the sole purpose of the 1st person demo was to hide the identity of the main protagonist.

I'll off to GAME after work to pre-order. Even if they've not heard of it I'm just gonna throw £5 at them and demand they keep me a copy.

glottis8

Banned
It's a recording of a livestream of a regular person playing the game, not an official trailer or reveal or anything.

That makes more sense. i just watched the full playthrough from gametrailers... its pretty amazing the mood and atmosphere they are creating. i think the first person adds to the whole apartment.

I think its awesome.

Also.. the loading icon, the 3 circles is a giveaway that it has something to do with SH.

I think it works.. no combat... just well paced atmosphere and events. i think it works. Even with the gametrailer peeps talking all the way through.

Z0mbicide

Banned
I think there was a graphic a few pages back saying "this demo is in no way related to the final product". I'm guessing people are just putting 2+2 together.

I have a hunch it will be 3rd person though. I believe the sole purpose of the 1st person demo was to hide the identity of the main protagonist.

I'll off to GAME after work to pre-order. Even if they've not heard of it I'm just gonna throw £5 at them and demand they keep me a copy.

That could be true, but obviously the advantages of first person horror isn't lost of them. They artfully had narrow hallways and just the right amount of view distance, I don't think they'd put so much attention on keeping the player perceptively blind and not having the intention on using those qualities in the future. It worked very well in segments of Silent Hill 4. I can definitely see them using a combination of both in certain game sections.

Sn4ke_911

This numbers show up a few seconds before the ghost lady kills you.

Compared with the 7780 numbers... any ideas?

2014-08-1313_12_06-jbsaz.png

Shredderi

Watched that gametrailers video and holy fuck I had to look away from the screen a few times so as to not get jump scared.
Didn't work. My heart...

Klyka

Banned
Uh guys....

These are the numbers, right?

now we got 204863

we leave the 20 alone.

so we got 4863.

the difference between 48 and 63? It's 15. 63 - 48 = 15

Silent Hill 2015 confirmed?

Quit being a jabroni, jabroni.
She was the first to figure it out so kudos to her.

Lime

I suppose that the negative thing about inviting Kojima into this series is that we'll have to endure the crazy conspiracy/Illuminati/"professional theorists" fans from MGS, who overanalyze the everything in the teaser, the marketing, the final game and Kojima's food tweets. (
I know some people are joking with this shit but there's always so much of it
)

sublimit

Banned
I am a bit disappointed that they chose a well known actor to be the protagonist and just plastered his face on the character model.
I prefer it much more when the character models come from the imagination of the artists instead and there's a concept stage when they are brainstorming to "find" the right face.Some of the greatest examples were in this very series with the SH2 cast.
Everything began with simple sketches and the artists transformed them to beautiful renders and believable real time characters.This creation process ads more artistic value to a project than just plastering a real life actor's to an in-game model IMO. Imaginary characters make the game's setting more personal for me and help me more in being immersed in a unique and imaginary otherworld when there are no reminders of real life people.

Cosmozone

Thread title sounds awesome! Is it awesome (a game)? Having the real face of a live actor is sort of a bummer, but the rest... Awesome! Will check this out!

chadboban

It's incredibly average, with 2 scenes worth seeing, one of which is balls to the wall incredible. Absolutely awesome and terrifying scene, but the rest of the movie mediocre.

Yeah, it seems like you and brandonh83 have saved me from wasting my time with that one.

VampMuse

Neo Member
Uh guys....

now we got 204863

we leave the 20 alone.

so we got 4863.

If that's what it means FUCK YES! I was creeping my girlfriend out by repeating it to her, and saying Look Behind you lol.

Sn4ke_911

Uh guys....

now we got 204863

we leave the 20 alone.

so we got 4863.

and why would we leave the 20 alone? :lol

Yeah watched this last night after I tapped out around 2am. Funny stuff. Watched all kinds of streams last night, actually. It was like Outlast's release date all over again.
I am a bit disappointed that they chose a well known actor to be the protagonist and just plastered his face on the character model.
I prefer it much more when the character models come from the imagination of the artists instead and there's a concept stage when they are brainstorming to "find" the right face.Some of the greatest examples were in this very series with the SH2 cast.

Everything began with simple sketches and the artists transformed them to beautiful renders and believable real time characters.This creation process ads more artistic value to a project than just plastering a real life actor's to an in-game model IMO. Imaginary characters make the game's setting more personal for me and help me more in being immersed in a unique and imaginary otherworld when there are no reminders of real life people.
If MGSV is any indication, it's likely for performance capture, so we don't have shitty animations and acting for everything as per usual in SH games. His face is "plastered" in this teaser because it's not the actual game.

jgminto

If the game ends up being like the teaser I'd probably just stop caring. I don't even have much experience with Silent Hill but if I wanted to play more Amnesia/Outlast/etc. I'd play them.

GrayDock

A Silent Hill(s) with Del Toro give me some Pan's Labirinth vibes, with I think are perfect for the world.

And Kojima will add another level of weirdness over it, making it unmissable.

Day 1.

Everything about SH2 was perfect. I still to this day think about the game and whenever I watch the ending, I tear up. It is my favorite survival horror game of all time and I don't think anything will replicate the perfection that was SH2.

bombshell

Uh guys....

now we got 204863

we leave the 20 alone.

so we got 4863.

These number games never worked to confirm Half Life 3, so I'm not sure it works here either :D

glottis8

Banned
A Silent Hill(s) with Del Toro give me some Pan's Labirinth vibes, with I think are perfect for the world.

And Kojima will add another level of weirdness over it, making it unmissable.

Day 1.

Agreed. I rather see a psychological twisted horror attempt. Than recycled garbage with poor combat.

Man.. this playthrough is killing me... its so well done. This really reminds me of Eternal Darkness. Love it when games twist perception and really try to mess with your mind.

Top Bottom