• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

sublimit

Banned
A Silent Hill(s) with Del Toro give me some Pan's Labirinth vibes, with I think are perfect for the world.

Good for you but bad for those of us who consider Del Toro a mediocre and overated director.

Hopefully he will not have any creative role other than producer.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Because it makes my theory work obviously :p

image.php

:p

Z0mbicide

Banned
If the game ends up being like the teaser I'd probably just stop caring. I don't even have much experience with Silent Hill but if I wanted to play more Amnesia/Outlast/etc. I'd play them.

Seriously...? Silent Hill has years of lore to pull from, I wouldn't be so hasty to write it off. Amnesia and Outlast were fresh IPs with no history to reference.

Dis gon b gud!

ArjanN

I am a bit disappointed that they chose a well known actor to be the protagonist and just plastered his face on the character model.
I prefer it much more when the character models come from the imagination of the artists instead and there's a concept stage when they are brainstorming to "find" the right face.Some of the greatest examples were in this very series with the SH2 cast.

Everything began with simple sketches and the artists transformed them to beautiful renders and believable real time characters.This creation process ads more artistic value to a project than just plastering a real life actor's to an in-game model IMO. Imaginary characters make the game's setting more personal for me and help me more in being immersed in a unique and imaginary otherworld when there are no reminders of real life people.

Walter from SH4 was literally just Brendan Fraser. :p

250px-Walter_Sullivan.png

GavinUK86

If the game ends up being like the teaser I'd probably just stop caring. I don't even have much experience with Silent Hill but if I wanted to play more Amnesia/Outlast/etc. I'd play them.

There's no way it'll be in first-person. They obviously did that to obscure Norman Reedus's face until you (maybe?) get the ending.

This numbers show up a few seconds before the ghost lady kills you.

Compared with the 7780 numbers... any ideas?

2014-08-1313_12_06-jbsaz.png

Room 204 has some key you need from silent hill 2. And 863 is the first three numbers to unlock that one door in silent hill 3.

Maybe the numbers are some code you use in the full game to unlock a lousy t shirt or something.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
teaser was not that good to be honest..it was
too long just to end with a jumpscare

Spoiler alert, you didn't beat it. The thing definitely does not end with a jump scare, my suspect is that you died or thought it ended when it didn't.

teiresias

This game needs to be first person and needs to be a horror showcase for Morpheus. Sony could branch out into selling Playstation-branded adult diapers and make a killing!!!

The demo did get annoying crap near the end though, I didn't finish it waiting for something to happen. Actual game better not be as obtuse.

Kaversmed

The real positive thing to take from this "teaser" is that the team working on this really know how to scare the shit out of people, but I'm not sure a teaser like this would've worked in 3rd person though. Will be interesting to see what Silent Hills end up being.

Piers

Given it's Kojima, it's somewhat possible 204863 might be the code needed for a puzzle in the game itself. (Or at least, might be used for an funny secret) I also hope Del Toro does have some actual input for the real game, and not just "lol teaser director" like J.J Abrams was for Lost's pilot.

The playable teaser is totally 100% Del Toro.
Gave me The Orphanage / Mama vibes (which aren't Del Toro movies lol, just produced but whatever). I'm so fucking in whatever they have ready for us.

UrbanRats

Maybe.But he was in the game that is considered to be the weakest of the Team Silent ones. ;)

I don't enjoy having famous actors either, but Douglas was heavily inspired from Ian Holm in the Fifth Element, and so were other characters.

I hope it won't be too distracting, though.

Flayer

Is this real!? I'm so unbelievably excited. I'd given up hope of Silent Hill ever appearing again but Hideo Kojima making it is beyond my wildest dreams.

And why are people writing off 1st person so readily? We can have a mixture of the two. How many examples do you need that both do work when necessary?

Because if you use a bunch of money on getting an famous actor, you sure as shit show how face in more then just the trailers and cutscenes.

Is this real!? I'm so unbelievably excited. I'd given up hope of Silent Hill ever appearing again but Hideo Kojima making it is beyond my wildest dreams.

I would say that Del Toro's involvement is far more interesting. Hopefully it can push back against the Kojima wackiness.

Dusk Golem

I am not singling you out with this, but reminded me I wanted to mention I have no idea why people said Silent Hill was dead or whatever. Literally two Silent Hill games and a Silent Hill movie came out in 2012, it's been only a year and a half since then, and Konami announced earlier this year they had 7 major games releasing in 2015, many of them we didn't/still don't know. AND on top of this, it's Silent Hill's 15th anniversary right now.

I think people were jumping the gun majorly calling it dead, even as I said at the time.

sublimit

Banned
I don't enjoy having famous actors either, but Douglas was heavily inspired from Ian Holm in the Fifth Element, and so were other characters.

I hope it won't be too distracting, though.

I'm sorry but i don't see any resemblance between Douglas and Ian Holm.

I am not singling you out with this, but reminded me I wanted to mention I have no idea why people said Silent Hill was dead or whatever. Literally two Silent Hill games and a Silent Hill movie came out in 2012, it's been only a year and a half since then, and Konami announced earlier this year they had 7 major games releasing in 2015, many of them we didn't/still don't know. AND on top of this, it's Silent Hill's 15th anniversary right now.

I think people were jumping the gun majorly calling it dead, even as I said at the time.

People called it dead because criminally, the series was taken out of the hands of the original devs after SH3 (?), so for years the series hasn't had its magical Japanese weirdness touch.

This looks like it will rectify that. In a major way.

sublimit

Banned
People called it dead because criminally, the series was taken out of the hands of the original devs after SH3 (?), so for years the series hasn't had its magical Japanese weirdness touch.

After SH4.

And yeah the series finally returning back to Japanese hands (with the exception of Del Toro obviously) is the best part of this reveal.

Dusk Golem

No, I mean people were saying that Konami was leaving the series for dead and not making any more Silent Hill games, it was springing up in many topics even here on GAF about the future of the series. Not metaphorically so.

Cudder

Silent Hill worked because it didn't feel like a movie; the tone, acting, and cinematography was almost Dogmetic. Hopefully Del Toro keeps Kojima in check, otherwise it's going to be way too flashy.

I dunno how most people view this collaboration, but to be honest I'm more "worried" about Del Toro's involvement than Kojima's.

glottis8

Banned
He doesn't like his films i guess?

I think his involvement might bring something new to the series. That and the fact that is going back to Japanese productions. I think they definitely have some weirdness that western culture sometimes lack when it comes to horror.

Also... Del Toro really knows his stuff. You can see some influence of his within that demo.

I think his involvement might bring something new to the series. That and the fact that is going back to Japanese productions. I think they definitely have some weirdness that western culture sometimes lack when it comes to horror.

Sometimes lack? ALWAYS lack imo! Wider Japanese horror is just unmatched as well. There is almost nothing scary that has come out of Western cinema for over a decade, and I watch a lot of films.

Top Bottom