• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I could definitely see Silent Hills having some aspect of random generation, so each player is seeing a different "Hill". Those parts in P.T. where is seems like things are subtly changing are really unsettling, but it gets dumb with the ending trigger which is hopefully just for the teaser.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The thing that caught my attention is apparently they say they purposely made the graphics and playability worse than the full game so people wouldn't guess it was a professional studio game and think it was independent, and the actual game will look much better.

They consider these graphics bad?

The thing that caught my attention is apparently they say they purposely made the graphics and playability worse than the full game so people wouldn't guess it was a professional studio game and think it was independent, and the actual game will look much better.

The visuals were really nice, but it was still very static. It didn't really have the visual atmosphere that you come to expect from Silent Hill, so I think he just means that it was very plain compared to what the actual game will be like, with an actual character on screen, enemies, animations, particle effects, better textures, etc.

Thorgal

LTTP But :

9nfvwfi7higo.gif

MY BODY IS READY !

llexan

If these were bad, I'm excited and terrified to see how great it'll look when it comes out. Jeebus.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I could definitely see Silent Hills having some aspect of random generation, so each player is seeing a different "Hill". Those parts in P.T. where is seems like things are subtly changing are really unsettling, but it gets dumb with the ending trigger which is hopefully just for the teaser.

Randomised experience for everyone. That sounds fantastic.

Dude...... apart from the aliasing, how the hell can it look better?

ibmtFvWLgzAcBH.jpg

Will it look better? This has to be a joke.

A-V-B

You really think the big thing stopping them from getting the guy who got famous for composing music for SH is a twitter campaign? Yamaoka isn't exactly doing nothing right now.

Besides, they already have a new composer. That german dude or whatever. Saw him in the list.

Dude...... apart from the aliasing, how the hell can it look better?

It looks nice, but it's missing a lot of key ingredients such as interesting art direction and the token grittiness of Silent Hill. I don't really associate plain hallways with no atmospheric filters with the franchise. That's all I think he meant, was that this is a tech demo without all the bells and whistles that we come to expect. It's certainly great looking, but it's not quite that traditional Silent Hill look either, and I think the game proper will have really mindblowing effects, animations, and so on.

A-V-B

It looks nice, but it's missing a lot of key ingredients such as interesting art direction and the token grittiness of Silent Hill. I don't really associate plain hallways with no atmospheric filters with the franchise. That's all I think he meant, was that this is a tech demo without all the bells and whistles that we come to expect. It's certainly great looking, but it's not quite that traditional Silent Hill look either, and I think the game proper will have really mindblowing effects, animations, and so on.

I hope Silent Hill, the town itself, isn't lit up like that with all its street lights functioning. He looked a little silly walking around with a flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, it was very pretty though.

I'm really curious as to how they'll handle his character in this game. Since most people know Reedus as a real tough,capable guy from TWD; and that sort of character doesn't work very well in survival horror games.

I hope Silent Hill, the town itself, isn't lit up like that with all its street lights functioning. He looked a little silly walking around with a flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, it was very pretty though.

This also stuck out to me, but it's a thrown together thing for the game reveal. Really hard to gauge what anything will be like at this point. It's not like the lights working will make or break it though.

dramatis

Are we getting rid of all the Silent Hills post 4? Then yes, the S may be a play on 5 (I think it's unlikely). If not, then this is technically the 9th or so Silent Hill.
Not necessarily, just saying that it might be a play on the number.

I think it's a good idea that Konami dropped the numbering system. I also don't think just because the name is now pluralized, that they're doing a reboot. 'Rebooting' means you're taking the old material and making it fresh, which is clearly not the case with this game.

OK, I'm playing this and HOLY SHIT.
I'm stuck though, I think around the tenth loop or something? All the doors are locked, the radio was going repeating numbers, and now I just hear someone breathing in certain points of the room. What am I missing?

A-V-B

This also stuck out to me, but it's a thrown together thing for the game reveal. Really hard to gauge what anything will be like at this point. It's not like the lights working will make or break it though.

Well, Silent Hill is all about being a dead town, a ghost of life. Remember that sound effect in the mall in SH3 where you hear the muffled voices of people having a good time behind the wall? That's what Silent Hill is kinda all about, mood-wise. Disconnect, loneliness, emptiness, powerlessness, the unknown... and eventually, once you shift to the Otherworld, balls-to-the-wall environmental malevolence.

If all the lights are on, you can see more, there's less fear of what's to come because you physically see what's all around you. "Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh." Right?

So i'm guessing they will stick with first-person? Maybe it's more immersive this way.

I'd like for it to remain first person, but they probably went that route in order to throw people off of what it was since Silent Hill is associated with being in third person. Plus they were trying to hide the identity of the playable character, which is why the mirror in the bathroom obscured his face.

Well, Silent Hill is all about being a dead town, a ghost of life. Remember that sound effect in the mall in SH3 where you hear the muffled voices of people having a good time behind the wall? That's what Silent Hill is kinda all about, mood-wise. Disconnect, loneliness, emptiness, powerlessness, the unknown... and eventually, once you shift to the Otherworld, balls-to-the-wall environmental malevolence.

If all the lights are on, you can see more, there's less fear of what's to come because you physically see what's all around you. "Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh." Right?

Completely agreed, but again we're analyzing a teaser. Which is fine, it's what we've seen so far, but it's not something that gives me any level of worry. I'm with you though on the presentation, for sure.

since silent hill origins and have looked upon this series with severe skeptism. I am genuinly excited to play this. Alien isolation had its skeptics but now it looks like the real deal. since amnesia and then outlast, I think this is the future of survival horror and I could nto be more excited that one of my favorite genres are back in full force.

This teaser kind of reminds me of those internet scavenger hunts they would do with the TV series LOST. I sincerly hope this catches on.

Dascu

Personal hope: They keep this first-person segment like The Room, except it's the entire house. You gradually explore and uncover more parts of the building (or it morphs and changes), that lead to new passages or levels of the third-person part. Extra points for looping corridors and non-rational geometry à la Lovecraft or House of Leaves.

Top Bottom