• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

DNAbro

Aβydoς;125240348 said:
OK, I'm playing this and HOLY SHIT.
I'm stuck though, I think around the tenth loop or something? All the doors are locked, the radio was going repeating numbers, and now I just hear someone breathing in certain points of the room. What am I missing?

press x on pic next to radio

Personal hope: They keep this first-person segment like The Room, except it's the entire house. You gradually explore and uncover more parts of the building (or it morphs and changes), that lead to new passages or levels of the third-person part. Extra points for looping corridors and non-rational geometry à la Lovecraft or House of Leaves.

This would be cool, but IMO only if they keep it as a HUD type thing, ala SH4. Which is pretty much what you just said, but I don't think I would want the majority of the game to be like it.

dhonk

Personal hope: They keep this first-person segment like The Room, except it's the entire house. You gradually explore and uncover more parts of the building (or it morphs and changes), that lead to new passages or levels of the third-person part. Extra points for looping corridors and non-rational geometry à la Lovecraft or House of Leaves.

There might be a portion like that, but the fact that the trailer shows a likeness and the whole town makes me think it will be more like a traditional Silent Hill structure. Aka third person and a whole town. Just an assumption.

_Ryo_

I'm confused. PT was supposed to be an exclusive for PS4, correct? It turned out PT was secretly a teaser for SILENT HILLS. Does that mean that SILENT HILLS is a PS4 exclusive?

Dude...... apart from the aliasing, how the hell can it look better?

ibmtFvWLgzAcBH.jpg

Will it look better? This has to be a joke.

Good art direction? Or any art direction at all, the teaser might as well be the blueprint of a random apartment, not a Silent Hill game.

Are we getting rid of all the Silent Hills post 4? Then yes, the S may be a play on 5 (I think it's unlikely). If not, then this is technically the 9th or so Silent Hill.

Fifth one by a Japanese team. Also none of the others after 4 included a number, so still accurate. Like Resident Evil or Halo or any other series that have numbered sequels following subtitled "offshoot" games, which I'm sure is how the Japanese devs view the western releases.

Dragon

Banned
I'm confused. PT was supposed to be an exclusive for PS4, correct? It turned out PT was secretly a teaser for SILENT HILLS. Does that mean that SILENT HILLS is a PS4 exclusive?

Konami hasn't said anything and the only information we have is that the game is going to release on the PS4 at some point.

I loved what I played of P.T but it put me on edge big time.

I can't play it alone but when my wife was in the room it was ok.

how fun would this shit be with shareplay? you and a buddy scaring the shit out of each other on chat.

Dascu

This would be cool, but IMO only if they keep it as a HUD type thing, ala SH4. Which is pretty much what you just said, but I don't think I would want the majority of the game to be like it.

Me neither. At the very least not without some level of combat or enemy encounters that are deeper than run/hide. It works in short scare games like this, but it cannot sustain gameplay in the long run. Even Amnesia struggled in its last act and Thomas Grip has acknowledged the limitations of that approach.

The Pt demo is exclusive to ps4. Anything else we can't make assumptions in. Especially on a series that has recently gone multiplat with Kojima who has also gone multiplat.

Lettuce

There hasn't been a decent Silent Hill since number 3 (and that wasn't even a patch on 1 & 2), so cant say im overly hype for a new game.

Silent Hills had its time, create a new IP Konami for fuck sake!!

Any fact or guide yet? My PS4 is still on waiting for an answer to assembling the photo.
-next to plant
-near beer cans/bottles under the photo
-near bear
-pressing start and hitting r3
-facing bathroom door there's columns on the walls. Left one near roof has mold. There.
-second to last staircase before exiting door that restarts loop

Is there anything I need to do to continue theres a baby whining in the bathroom with the door slightly open and cockroaches coming out of there.

A-V-B

Here's a question: If you had to bring just one Team Silent member, who would it be?

These are your choices

Hiroyuki Owaku (scenario)
Akira Yamaoka (music)
Takayoshi Sato (character design and writing)
Masahiro Ito (environment design, monster design)

Tough one for me. I want to say Yamaoka, but I know what Silent Hill is like with just ol' Akira. I'd say Ito. But then, maybe Owaku...

Basically for me, shit will be real when I see something like this in the Fox Engine, with this kind of art direction and attention to detail. And your usual fuckupery, of course. This is why the demo didn't really do it for me, but I know it was just a tech/teaser sort of thing that isn't representative of the actual game. Just saying, this is what I'm anxious to see in the new engine, and what I think Kojima meant by the visuals being heavily scaled back in the demo.

A-V-B

Basically for me, shit will be real when I see something like this in the Fox Engine, with this kind of art direction and attention to detail. And your usual fuckupery, of course. This is why the demo didn't really do it for me, but I know it was just a tech/teaser sort of thing that isn't representative of the actual game. Just saying, this is what I'm anxious to see in the new engine, and what I think Kojima meant by the visuals being heavily scaled back in the demo.

Masahiro Ito! MASAHIRO ITO!

I mean, the guy's off on his own and he's still doing freelance Silent Hill work here and there for himself. He's not tied up like Yamaoka, or off writing little mobile game stories like Owaku (though why not bring him back, too? Unless Kojima and Del Toro are actually writing this themselves.)

Here's a question: If you had to bring just one Team Silent member, who would it be?

These are your choices

Hiroyuki Owaku (scenario)
Akira Yamaoka (music)
Takayoshi Sato (character design and writing)
Masahiro Ito (environment design, monster design)

Tough one for me. I want to say Yamaoka, but I know what Silent Hill is like with just ol' Akira. I'd say Ito. But then, maybe Owaku...

i love Yamaoka's work more than anything pretty much (especially SH2). so yeah, him. he even made Homecoming a good experience for me, just because the music was so goddamn good (not all of it though, but the highs were very high, as always).

I dunno if my body can handle playing this. Ever since playing the first one as a kid in a dark room with my big cousin and his mates all scaring me at the same time I may end up having a heart attack.

Childhood torment right here folks.

I dunno if my body can handle playing this. Ever since playing the first one as a kid in a dark room with my big cousin and his mates all scaring me at the same time I may end up having a heart attack.

Childhood torment right here folks.
I was in a room with two other 20+ year Olds, lights off, all paying attention and trying to solve it together. We were all terrified and screaming at a certain part. Mostly me though.

did the game even get announced yet ?

probably at tgs

why else would this demo only be on ps4 ? sony paying for a teaser ? makes no sense
The end of the teaser shows a trailer. It's been announced already. You're welcome to believe but you are doing some mental gymnastics my friend. I can just as easily say "no mention of exclusive, therefore it's multiplat"

They said the pt demo was exclusive. They didn't say what it actually was because it was a troll demo. Just like with phantom pain trailer.

yeah, I could see an official TGS reveal for this, but I'll set my expectations low and look to E3 2015. :/

I have a bad feeling this is going to be a mid-late 2016 game, though... unless they've done a lot of work on this secretly.

Top Bottom