• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Soul Calibur 4 Character: Scheherazado

Systems_id said:
Unless you're actually studying literature, I'd wager not a lot of people know who Scheherazade is at all or the story she's in. It isn't on par with something like Agamemnon or The Odyssey as far as common knowledge.
She's name-dropped in one of the most successful Disney animated movies of all-time. At least around the NA parts, you can't buy publicity like that.

Crushed said:
No, her name is Scheherazado.

if they don't leave it like that in the us release i will be so mad at namco for butchering this proud japanese name just like how hellsing was butchered by their renaming of arukardo to the vulgar american "alucard"

But "Arukado" is japanese for Alucard ;x

ethelred

Metalmurphy said:
Well I'm from Portugal and I never heard of her and I aced High School so it's not exactly something I'm supposed to know. Certainly not something to start calling people uneducated ;)

Yes, I'm going to go out on that proud limb and say that if someone is unfamiliar with Arabian Nights they're pretty well uneducated.

Segata Sanshiro said:
She's name-dropped in one of the most successful Disney animated movies of all-time. At least around the NA parts, you can't buy publicity like that.
:lol

That was in a song. I HIGHLY doubt your average 7 year-old or adult is going to be paying attention in that case. The only direct reference I can recall is an episode of the Aladdin television series. I think one of the episodes was loosely (very loosely) based upon the story.

Dragona Akehi said:
I once asked my mom if she knew who Ares was and she told me no. I looked at her in disbelief.:lol

Speevy

Banned
So we're pretty much in agreement that before each battle starts, this character sings a random song from the soundtrack of Aladdin?

Speevy said:
So we're pretty much in agreement that before each battle starts, this character sings a random song from the soundtrack of Aladdin?
Man that would be awesome

New Guest Character: Family Friendly Robin Williams
Alternate Costume (with Soul Edge): Coked out Robin Williams

Desi

Systems_id said:

That was in a song. I HIGHLY doubt your average 7 year-old or adult is going to be paying attention in that case.
Those songs taught so much vocabulary it's amazing.

ethelred said:
Yes, I'm going to go out on that proud limb and say that if someone is unfamiliar with Arabian Nights they're pretty well uneducated.
Well, I'm going to go out on that proud limb and say that if someone is unfamiliar with Lusíadas they're pretty well uneducated, no matter where you live on and on what your local education focuses on.

Speevy

Banned
Not only is it entirely possible that someone doesn't know who Scheherezade is, but unless you're teaching a literature course, it's completely irrelevant to any practical matter in life.

You could run a successful business, fall in love, have children, or even write your own book without knowing or caring about this character.

Get some perspective.

Systems_id said:

That was in a song. I HIGHLY doubt your average 7 year-old or adult is going to be paying attention in that case. The only direct reference I can recall is an episode of the Aladdin television series. I think one of the episodes was loosely (very loosely) based upon the story.

I once asked my mom if she knew who Ares was and she told me no. I looked at her in disbelief.:lol
I dunno if you've spent a lot of time around 7 year olds, but if they like a Disney movie, they are 100% guaranteed to learn all of the words to the songs just so they can sing them over and over and over until you bribe them with candy to shut up.

Metalmurphy said:
Well, I'm going to go out on that proud limb and say that if someone is unfamiliar with Lusíadas they're pretty well uneducated, no matter where you live on and on what your local education focuses on.

<3

I find it so interesting how the Olympians come into play, despite when it was written. Well of course, most people don't realise during the "Dark Ages" that "evil pagan" mythology was still alive and well...

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno if you've spent a lot of time around 7 year olds, but if they like a Disney movie, they are 100% guaranteed to learn all of the words to the songs just so they can sing them over and over and over until you bribe them with candy to shut up.

The only time I bothered with something like that was with the Plagues song in The Prince of Egypt, and that was because the ensuing animation was awesome.

Metalmurphy said:

I agree with this, also.

And Speevy, the same could be said for basic arithmetic, but I'd say someone who doesn't know *that* would be considered uneducated.

Speevy

Banned
And Speevy, the same could be said for basic arithmetic, but I'd say someone who doesn't know *that* would be considered uneducated.
Today 03:25 PM

I couldn't tell you who or what Scheherezade was prior to reading the name on these boards, and I have a college degree.

You're wrong.

Speevy said:
I couldn't tell you who or what Scheherezade was prior to reading the name on these boards, and I have a college degree.

You're wrong.
"You could run a successful business, fall in love, have children, or even write your own book without knowing or caring about this character."

These were the stipulations you laid out. I haven't said beans about Scheherezade, aside from cheeky Aladdin references. My only concern is applying your stipulations to my example, basic arithmetic.

You could run a successful business, fall in love, have children, or even write your own book without knowing or caring about basic arithmetic.

I can stand someone who does't know who is Scheherazade, I've heard much more horrid things about ancient literature- expecially Greek and Latin classics..but I'm not going to be more specific or Dragona would facepalm forever

LiK

kpop100 said:
:lol how could you forget a name like that

it's been years. i read the stories when i was a kid and i only remember the main stories. i forgot about the tale about the princess and that king that was the origin of the stories.

i'm also a huge fan of the journey to the west stories but if i listed all those names, i highly doubt people would remember them off the top of their heads :)

Speevy said:

You're wrong.

Aren't you in America, where Chiropractic Colleges only require a 1.5 GPA for entry into the programme?

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
"You could run a successful business, fall in love, have children, or even write your own book without knowing or caring about this character."

These were the stipulations you laid out. I haven't said beans about Scheherezade, aside from cheeky Aladdin references. My only concern is applying your stipulations to my example, basic arithmetic.

You could run a successful business, fall in love, have children, or even write your own book without knowing or caring about basic arithmetic.

And, I mean, all of this is true. You can go off and have a life in the modern world without being an educated or well read person, but the simple act of having that life and being able to plop out a few kids (as if that's some sort of great achievement of mental fortitude) doesn't make one educated or well read.

Speevy

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
These were the stipulations you laid out. I haven't said beans about Scheherezade, aside from cheeky Aladdin references.

To any rational person, it looks like you're comparing basic arithmetic to knowing about Scheherezade.

Speevy said:
People who aren't familiar with Harry Potter are stupid. I mean, those books are read around the world.

What?.. Harry Potter is just a collection of stories told for entertainment but also with a contemporary moral compass in those tales..... wait a minute, I see what you're doing there.

I'm going to go out on an arrogant limb here and say that anyone who doesn't know at least partially the specific taxon evolutionary path of humans is uneducated.

Speevy

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Aren't you in America, where Chiropractic Colleges only require a 1.5 GPA for entry into the programme?

Yes, and that's why I went to Chiropractic Technical Colleges Online and earned my degree.

Speevy said:
To any rational person, it looks like you're comparing basic arithmetic to knowing about Scheherezade.
I'm just making an argument against your rationale for considering someone educated vs. uneducated.

LiK

Byakuya769 said:
What?.. Harry Potter is just a collection of stories told for entertainment but also with a contemporary moral compass in those tales..... wait a minute, I see what you're doing there.

I'm going to go out on an arrogant limb here and say that anyone who doesn't know at least partially the specific taxon evolutionary path of humans is uneducated.

hehe, nice.

Ooh, ooh, can I play too?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anyone who doesn't know who Thomas Aquinas is uneducated.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I agree with this, also.

No, you're a moron if can't see that not knowing the fundamentals to understanding a whole subject is different to not having heard of one writer who you don't have to of heard of to understand literature. For example you can't exactly understand even basic statistics without a knowledge of basic maths, you can understand the Divine Comedy without having heard of Arabian Nights. The fact is there are so many sources schools can use to help establish basic levels of reading that people are pretty stupid to be shocked that people might of missed one.

ethelred said:
And, I mean, all of this is true. You can go off and have a life in the modern world without being an educated or well read person, but the simple act of having that life and being able to plop out a few kids (as if that's some sort of great achievement of mental fortitude) doesn't make one educated or well read.

Not knowing the works of one author doesn't make somebody uneducated either.

Speevy

Banned
ethelred said:
Basic math and basic reading are the pillars of education.

I can do both exceptionally well. That doesn't mean I know who Scheherezade is 15 years after I might have read the tales.

Byakuya769 said:

Sure, I can get on board with this.

Basic math, science, and literature. By Jove, we just might figure out some sort of "basic educational program" here.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Quite frankly I don't think this topic should stay open any longer with the rate it's going, ESPECIALLY since we already have a 3-page thread open about this very character.

Unless we want to carry on poo-pooing on people's educations and ambitions in life, in which case carry on!

Top Bottom