• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Soul Calibur 4 Character: Scheherazado

Pureauthor said:
I definitely think we're on different wavelengths here. Yes, a large portion of Western world was showing an increased interest in the East, partly because of the wonderful mystical cultures of ours down here, and partly because of the potential for phat loot via trading. But how does this lead to Arabian Nights (Or a Thousand Nights and One Night) to being a tenement of Western Civilisation?

Thanks to Sir Richard Burton, 1001 Nights permeated every aspect of the West during that time frame. It became as common as telling children traditional fairy tales.

It's interesting that the line of thought championed by many here will force those in the future to consider others uneducated if they have yet to listen to the lyrics of eminem or watch an episode of friends...

I can ignore the Anglo-centric questions. What I find harder to ignore is the 'Cannot Find Server' message. :(

Thanks to Sir Richard Burton, 1001 Nights permeated every aspect of the West during that time frame. It became as common as telling children traditional fairy tales.

Huh. I wasn't aware that 1001 Nights was that popular. Point conceded.

It's interesting that the line of thought championed by many here will force those in the future to consider others uneducated if they have yet to listen to the lyrics of eminem or watch an episode of friends...

Did... did you just compare eminem and Friends to the Arabian Nights, Thomas Aquinas, and... and...

Forget it. I'm going to bed.

Pureauthor said:
I can ignore the Anglo-centric questions. What I find harder to ignore is the 'Cannot Find Server' message. :(

Huh. I wasn't aware that 1001 Nights was that popular. Point conceded.

Did... did you just compare eminem and Friends to the Arabian Nights, Thomas Aquinas, and... and...

Forget it. I'm going to bed.

Don't go to bed, explain what elevates Arabian Nights above the lyrics of eminem.. and then I will point out how you're wrong, embarrass you, and send you to bed.

Stumpokapow said:
Left out an "h" at the beginning.

Thanks. Guess I can stay up a little later to-

The article said:
consider the one in five American adults who, according to the National Science Foundation, thinks the sun revolves around the Earth

This article is just going to depress me, isn't it.

While we're talking about edumacationz and all that can anyone recommend a good version of Arabian Nights?

I've read through Three Kingdoms...well..three times and I need something new.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Byakuya769 said:
Don't go to bed, explain what elevates Arabian Nights above the lyrics of eminem.. and then I will point out how you're wrong, embarrass you, and send you to bed.

haute couture
low / pop culture

That's not a knock against pop culture at all. People SHOULD know Eminem and Friends. Choosing not to know anything is a foolish choice. But if you want to talk about which will likely be more historically relevant and which will likely inspire art two hundred years from now... and if you want to talk about which is more likely to be universally relevant to man...

The classical mythos and the more contemporary adaptations of them (IE The Divine Comedy) archetypically affect literature of future times. It doesn't matter whether you live in Singapore like Pureauthor or Canada like me or the US like you, the impact is still present whether you acknowledge it or not. Eminem does not equally impact all peoples of the world. Friends in particular is a sub-cultural study of affluent white New Yorkers. Culturally significant, yes. Culturally significant to people who will never come into contact with affluent white New Yorkers or live in an environment approximating New York? Probably not so much.

A real controversy in the classification of modern literature and art is whether or not sufficiently erudite pulp (for example, Sci-Fi literature or political films) will gravitate into high culture or low culture as time progresses. Is Rashomon culturally significant or not? Who knows.

Prax

lol y'all making me feel bad for not reading many books with fictional stories.

But I really don't feel like doing it.. sounds like a chore.. :(

What's Arabian Nights about? Time to wiki...

Ohhh.. That sounds like a pretty neat story. Scheherazade seems like a pretty smart lady. XD

Watch me instantly forget about this new fact I learned though.

THE END!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Nice. I had my eye on your first listing so I'll run with that for now.
I really don't have the money(or the shelf space!) for the full set unfortunately. Thanks.

Arabian Nights encompasses most of the truly beloved tales that have permeated the West, such as Aladdin and Ali Baba.

I don't have the money for the full set either, but like The Complete Sagas, I lust after it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Byakuya769 said:
So it is acceptable to define somethings literary merit by the economic status of the people who enjoy it.

Where do you purchase your cardigans?

Uh, there was a reason why I linked to the terms instead of just typing them. Read again and come back to me. I also edited in some commentary to help you out. If you want to have a discussion about culture on a theoretical or critical or scholastic level, that's what I would like to do. If you want to say "eggheads suck", I'm not so interested in that.

My alma mater is one of the only universities on the continent that has a degree program dedicated to the study of folk culture and folklore. I'm not knocking low culture.

By the way, I'm also not rich or notably well-educated.

Byakuya769 said:
So it is acceptable to define somethings literary merit by the economic status of the people who enjoy it.

If you read the links and Stumpokapow's post using a critical eye, you would see that his claim is (a) that items in the former category are historically more likely to be remembered and to influence future culture, (b) that elements of both categories of culture have their own value and someone claiming to be culturally literate should be familiar with both, and (c) that the lines between them are blurring in the modern era (for which we can thank recording media, increasing academic interest in folk art, and postmodernism, among many, many other factors.)

Stumpokapow said:
Uh, there was a reason why I linked to the terms instead of just typing them. Read again and come back to me. I also edited in some commentary to help you out. If you want to have a discussion about culture on a theoretical or critical or scholastic level, that's what I would like to do. If you want to say "eggheads suck", I'm not so interested in that.

My alma mater is one of the only universities on the continent that has a degree program dedicated to the study of folk culture and folklore. I'm not knocking low culture.

By the way, I'm also not rich or notably well-educated.

" is a term, now used in a number of different ways in academic discourse, whose most common meaning is the set of cultural products, mainly in the arts, held in the highest esteem by a culture, or denoting the culture of ruling social groups.["

Now, the reason I pointed that out is because half of the shit that is elevated to high art status had its origins within the common class. 1001 Nights, Grecian myths, etc. all started in the oral tradition of commoners who shared such tales for entertainments sake, as well as simple means of imparting life lessons.

Yet, centuries later, an outsider will often arbitrarily decide that these works represent the "high art" of the culture from which they originate. Then these works would become highly regarded by the upper class of other cultures, who had the luxury to purchase such written works. Then they become "high art", and since it has only been a bit over a hundred years since written works could be cheaply and easily reproduced so that anyone willing can purchase them we are still stuck with a pre-printing press concept of what is "high art" and what is "pop culture". Thus, even our contemporary "high art" is merely derivative of an outdated notion of what is to be esteemed or what is to be seen as pop culture.

2zsv211.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I just finished reading The Thousand-and-One Nights.

Seconds later the phone rang and I received a job offer from a beautiful, big-breasted CEO of a Fortune 500 company. She also proposed marriage. We're sending our children to Harvard and Yale to earn their degrees in Arabian Nights.

Minsc

Gold Member
Speevy said:
I just finished reading The Thousand-and-One Nights.

Seconds later the phone rang and I received a job offer from a beautiful, big-breasted CEO of a Fortune 500 company. She also proposed marriage. We're sending our children to Harvard and Yale to earn their degrees in Arabian Nights.
I would say that your lying, but since I'm unfamiliar with Arabian Nights, I shouldn't even be able to read what you just wrote.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Byakuya769 said:
" is a term, now used in a number of different ways in academic discourse, whose most common meaning is the set of cultural products, mainly in the arts, held in the highest esteem by a culture, or denoting the culture of ruling social groups.["

Now, the reason I pointed that out is because half of the shit that is elevated to high art status had its origins within the common class. 1001 Nights, Grecian myths, etc. all started in the oral tradition of commoners who shared such tales for entertainments sake, as well as simple means of imparting life lessons.

A more apt example would be Shakespeare who rather successfully bridged the gap from the lowest of the low art to the highest of the high art. Early oral tradition does not neatly fit into either of the two categories specifically because in both cases there were no prior archetypical works from which to derive new art.

In a more contemporary context (say, this side of the BCE/CE divide) folklore and low culture has been largely eradicated or at the very least lost to time while high art has been preserved in our cultural memory. In the post-enlightenment times this has changed slightly, simply because the newly developed human reflexivity has created an increased emphasis on "what is out there--who we are" rather than "what is worthwhile--who we ought to be" in terms of the focus of academic and cultural study.

In a modern context, Eminem is not generating any ideas or forms of discourse or information that impact anyone other than those with direct exposure to him. Friends is even less relevant because at its most academic and worthwhile it's merely a subcultural study of a subculture that is unlikely to have much historical relevance.

It's important to know Eminem and Friends because they profoundly shape our world today. But it's more important to understand those forces that shape our world historically and are likely to pave the road to the distant future. As I conceded earlier and as charlequin summarized quite well, the line between high and low cultures has been blurred recently--but it's still there.

Let me put it in an oddly meta-analytic way... that fact that most gaffers think of "ethelred" as a gaffer rather than any of the many important historical figures with that name is troublesome.

I firmly believe that everybody should strive to know as much as they can... but if they can't do that, they should at least know the really important stuff that has fundamentally shaped our reality.

Dali

I thought this was the original Scheherazade thread and went back to see when this became a battle between the self-declared intellectuals and everyone else. Imagine my shock when I found out it's been going on since the first page and this is just a totally unnecessary thread on old info that's only still going as a silly flame war.

For the record I always thought One Thousand and One Nights, specifically Scheherazade, was pretty well-known in the same vein as Black Beard, Ahab, Captain Nemo, etc. but to call people who haven't heard of them uneducated or not an academic - not in the pursuit of knowledge - is well... ignorant. Some people really don't care about what they see as useless knowledge (useless, unless you like to pretentiously spout off references that allude to your thorough understanding some fictional tale) and instead focus on something they see as more concrete and useful like math or science.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Prax said:
lol y'all making me feel bad for not reading many books with fictional stories.

But I really don't feel like doing it.. sounds like a chore.. :(

What's Arabian Nights about? Time to wiki...

Ohhh.. That sounds like a pretty neat story. Scheherazade seems like a pretty smart lady. XD

Watch me instantly forget about this new fact I learned though.

THE END!
The Arabian Nights is anything but a chore... it has passed quite a lot of time since I read it, but I remember it being intriguing, exciting, violent, magical and beautiful at the same time. It's also very enriching about the old arabian culture and history.
But "oh noez classical literature, yaawwwnnn, plz gimme (<25) harry potter (>25) da vinci code, i do not read old bookz"

Stumpokapow said:
Let me put it in an oddly meta-analytic way... that fact that most gaffers think of "ethelred" as a gaffer rather than any of the many important historical figures with that name is troublesome.

Well, it really helps to understand ethelred's posting style when you understand that he's still smarting from a string of military defeats that led to England's conquest by the accursed Danes.

DKnight said:
The Arabian Nights is anything but a chore... it has passed quite a lot of time since I read it, but I remember it being intriguing, exciting, violent, magical and beautiful at the same time. It's also very enriching about the old arabian culture and history.
But "oh noez classical literature, yaawwwnnn, plz gimme (<25) harry potter (>25) da vinci code, i do not read old bookz"
Well to be fair, a lot of people simply don't enjoy reading more than necessary unless it's really compelling. I don't read a lot simply because books rarely stimulate my imagination like a movies and music. Even ones that are "classics" can rarely keep my attention. For instance, I couldn't stay awake when reading Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet but I really enjoyed Macbeth, The Tempest, Julius Caesar, and A Midsummer Night's dream. Greek lit and any kind of mythology fascinates me.

Stumpokapow said:
A more apt example would be Shakespeare who rather successfully bridged the gap from the lowest of the low art to the highest of the high art. Early oral tradition does not neatly fit into either of the two categories specifically because in both cases there were no prior archetypical works from which to derive new art.

In a more contemporary context (say, this side of the BCE/CE divide) folklore and low culture has been largely eradicated or at the very least lost to time while high art has been preserved in our cultural memory. In the post-enlightenment times this has changed slightly, simply because the newly developed human reflexivity has created an increased emphasis on "what is out there--who we are" rather than "what is worthwhile--who we ought to be" in terms of the focus of academic and cultural study.

In a modern context, Eminem is not generating any ideas or forms of discourse or information that impact anyone other than those with direct exposure to him. Friends is even less relevant because at its most academic and worthwhile it's merely a subcultural study of a subculture that is unlikely to have much historical relevance.

It's important to know Eminem and Friends because they profoundly shape our world today. But it's more important to understand those forces that shape our world historically and are likely to pave the road to the distant future. As I conceded earlier and as charlequin summarized quite well, the line between high and low cultures has been blurred recently--but it's still there.

I firmly believe that everybody should strive to know as much as they can... but if they can't do that, they should at least know the really important stuff that has fundamentally shaped our reality.

I find no contradiction with what I said in relation to what you are saying now. You say that Eminem/Friends profoundly shape our world today, you then follow up and say it is more important to know the forces that shape our world historically. What I was arguing was that the simple notion that a particular literary work must be known or someone is uneducated will likely lead to current pop culture works to be lauded equally, in the far future.

Also, I do not believe any culture has shown any ability to truly gauge what will and will not be revered by generations to come, and your own sources cite the increasing difficulty in marking what is high art and what is low. Though I would argue that it is not the new variety of media that confuses that distinction, it is the ease of availability of these somewhat new areas of expression that makes it much harder to dictate high art. Anyone can express themselves in a reproducible capacity, and practically anyone can enjoy that expression. No longer is art only available to the upper class.

Basically, I merely stated that to show the absurdity of taking the knowledge of one particular work as a criteria for education. Furthermore, simple knowledge of any work means absolutely nothing without insight into the context of the work, its importance, and the ability to act as one's own critic and offer analysis of said work on one's own.

I believe you have shown the ability of doing so, however, I feel others have merely fallen into the trappings of believing knowing of a work constituents anything of any relevance. Thus I challenged 1001 Nights with Eminem, because I am confident enough in my abilities to offer literary analysis to blur the line of what is and isn't paramount to any notion of education. Yet no one took me on that challenge.. which given the historical relevance of 1001 Nights should have been easy for my opposition.

karasu

I don't like Aladdin, Ali baba, or the Prince of Persia so I probably wouldn't like Arabian Knights. Furthermore, objectivism is shit.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
soul clalibur - the pinnacle of gaf's literacy confirmed.

onegoodlogan said:
I like Soul Calibur.
fuck off.

Prax

DKnight said:

It's not that I think it's a chore as in boring.. I mean to say that...
I would have a pretty big backlog of books to read then!

And I .... have other things to do than read big fairytales (but I do like fairytales.. I like all sorts of things! Greek myths, religious texts, the occult, Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene.... I actually have many books that I bought but haven't gotten around to reading yet! D: ). It even took me forever to finally get to and read The Little Prince.. and that book is REALLY SHORT!

Perhaps if they made it into a high production anime? That's like the both of best worlds for me! Animated art + reading (subtitles. lol)!

Don't even mention Harry Potter. I boycotted reading it! (for little reason other than I find the characters and "magic system" annoying).

I know, I'll make a compromise.. I'll make and name a character Scheherezade or something similar to forever remember the fact that she is the story-telling queen in 1001 Nights!

The art looks ok but not as good as the rest of soul calibur art.

The model looks terrible.

Edit: Wait, i think i am in the wrong thread.

Neo C.

Dragona Akehi said:
The same 19th century where everyone and their mother were gaga over the "Orient" and 1001 Nights?
And as for 21th century, western people should read more chinese stuff. It's a shame that educated asian people know much more about western literature, philosophy, art and music than vice versa, although the chinese culture was like 2000 year on a higher level than the west.

So...how many have read at least Sun Zi's Art of War (Bing Fa)?

D-X

Stumpokapow said:
Soul Calibur introducing people to the Arabian Nights

Obviously they never played Sonic and the Secret Rings - the whole thing is based on twisted versions of the Arabian Nights

RegularMK

I wish this thread had been locked and thrown away. Its not even fucking about the god damn character design. Instead, I'm getting mocked and insulted by haughty dick heads. You know what? I didn't know who Scheherazado is. I'm sorry. I never even heard the name until this character was originally released to the public and I had to endure the first thread's endless asinine mockery.

Scheherazado was never once mentioned in my high school lit classes. You want someone to be angry with? Contact the GISD of Garland, Texas. Just because it never occurred to me to read a classic piece of literature that I had only heard about in passing does not mean you should waste your breath insulting me. So please. Chill the fuck out.

And yeah, I realize this argument has pretty much completely ended but god damn I needed to vent about this crap.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if you've never heard the name scheherazade, you're not just illiterate, you're videogame illiterate: does no one remember 'magic of scheherazade' on nes? that was where i first encountered the name

as for the ongoing argument in this thread, the thing is that people in our time are half-educated at best: if we've got some knowledge of the arts, we're probably ignorant of the sciences, or vice versa. the pseudoscientific tendency of much contemporary literary criticism is a particularly regrettable consequence of this

Chairhome

Has anyone seen the scan with the alleged new character from Mine Yoshizaki (Twinbee, Keroro Gunso, Otomedius)? Someone at SRK posted it, but I can't tell if its real or not. Looks real to me. I'd post it here, but... you know... oh, and I'm not sure if its real... cause the character has huge spikes on her bubz.

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
haute couture
low / pop culture

That's not a knock against pop culture at all. People SHOULD know Eminem and Friends. Choosing not to know anything is a foolish choice. But if you want to talk about which will likely be more historically relevant and which will likely inspire art two hundred years from now... and if you want to talk about which is more likely to be universally relevant to man...
It's complicated. In the late 18th and 19th century several prominent persons like the Grimm brothers were highly interested in the 'Volkskultur' (Folklore?). And Snow White or Redcape are universally relevant.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dali said:
I thought this was the original Scheherazade thread and went back to see when this became a battle between the self-declared intellectuals and everyone else. Imagine my shock when I found out it's been going on since the first page and this is just a totally unnecessary thread on old info that's only still going as a silly flame war.

For the record I always thought One Thousand and One Nights, specifically Scheherazade, was pretty well-known in the same vein as Black Beard, Ahab, Captain Nemo, etc. but to call people who haven't heard of them uneducated or not an academic - not in the pursuit of knowledge - is well... ignorant. Some people really don't care about what they see as useless knowledge (useless, unless you like to pretentiously spout off references that allude to your thorough understanding some fictional tale) and instead focus on something they see as more concrete and useful like math or science.

Well said. People most likely have heard of Arabian Nights, but it's not that shocking if someone doesn't know Scheherazade.

And I doubt most of the people in this thread who claim themselves as 'well read', know multivariable calculus or the like. Does that make them dumb? Judging by the thread, I'd say, probably.

Also..

where the hell are her tits?

This.

Chairhome said:
Has anyone seen the scan with the alleged new character from Mine Yoshizaki (Twinbee, Keroro Gunso, Otomedius)? Someone at SRK posted it, but I can't tell if its real or not. Looks real to me. I'd post it here, but... you know... oh, and I'm not sure if its real... cause the character has huge spikes on her bubz.

Yeah. She seems to fit SC fine (Much moreso than the character who caused this thread). Not into white haired girls though. I guess the anti-breast people are gonna flip out over her spiked tits.

Edit: Sentence fix

No6

Oblivion said:
And I doubt most of the people in this thread who claim themselves as 'well read', know multivariable calculus or the like.
I can claim both, thereby becoming king of this thread.
Well, then you didn't read the Burton translation (which is the only one worth reading, anything else and you may as well be reading Dean Koontz). Because I don't think there's anything particularly magical about Burton's footnotes where he derides other translations or talks about his personal experience in examining the "size" (guess which kind of size) of african males. Also, the tales tend to get a bit repetitive with the whole "women are evil, especially your wife, and your brother the wazir is likely sleeping with her btw here's a djinn" theme.

Although now I have to question my version because while it's pretty big (three thick hardbound volumes including illustrations Burton's outro essay), it's not huge like the version Dragona posted (although maybe the font size is different).

And I have to disagree that knowledge of "Scheherazado" is particularly necessary. You could read the majority of the "common" 1001 nights tales without ever coming across the wrapper-story.

Top Bottom