• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Soul Calibur 4 Character: Scheherazado

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Byakuya769 said:
I disagree, the character has no true cultural relevance. Are we going to call non christians uneducated if they don't know who zachariah is?
Define cultural relevance. I never knew about One Thousand and One Nights before the Arabian Nights set for Magic the Gathering. But a curiosity led me into a little more knowledge. I've never read the book but I know of it.

I'm not bagging people for not knowing things. It happens. But I think both sides of this argument are being a little too self centered.

Speevy

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
It happens. But I think both sides of this argument are being a little too self centered.

One side is saying chill out, the other is calling everyone mongrel retards for not knowing something.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Speevy said:
One side is saying chill out, the other is calling everyone mongrel retards for not knowing something.
Considering the side you're on, it's easy to have that viewpoint. I can't say I agree.

RevenantKioku said:
Define cultural relevance. I never knew about One Thousand and One Nights before the Arabian Nights set for Magic the Gathering. But a curiosity led me into a little more knowledge. I've never read the book but I know of it.

I'm not bagging people for not knowing things. It happens. But I think both sides of this argument are being a little too self centered.

Meaning there is very little outside of academic posturing to discuss about it. I mean you learned about it from fucking magic the gathering... and yet have not even read it. However, you think it may be a mark of being uneducated to not know about it? Come on. Now people know about it because of a Soul Calibur character, so now everyone is more educated? I mean, REALLY?.

Basically what we have here is a bunch of people leveling a trivia fact as something of any relevance. Yet, these same people have not shown any capability to discuss this all important tidbit of knowledge in any capacity other than "you might be uneducated if you do not know about this..."

~Devil Trigger~ said:
or Shenanigans!!! :D

anyways http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080324/sc4.htm

Name: Scheherazado Age: every uncounted, the young people born in the family:隠里Height: 157 cm
体重:42kg Weight: 42 kg
生年月日:謡い月の下12日血液型:不明使用武器:レイピア武器名:ライラライラ家族構成:故郷には頭の固い老人達がいる Birthdate: Noh chant blood type at the bottom of the 12th: Missing weapons used: rapier arms: RAIRARAIRA family structure: home is a stubborn old man who

森の奥に住む、非常に長寿な一族。 Live in the woods behind the very longevity of the family. 「語り部」として外界へ抜け出した折、経験した禁忌の恋……。 "Talk department" to the outside world as抜け出したfolded, the experience of love…… contraindicated. 樹の牢獄で過ごした永い時を経て、彼女は再び森の外へと駆け出していく。永いtree's time spent in prison, after she was out of the woods again and the novice. そう、物語の結末を見届けなくては! Well, the story is見届けなくend!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080324/sc4_03.jpg[/I

[IMG]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080324/sc4_04.jpg[/][/QUOTE]
WTF???

what the fuck? who the fuck names their character Shezeheherado Age? Jesus.

OK, lol, found a more complete scan, but it's small so I can't read it, buuuuuut angol fia seems to be related to angol mois from Keroro gunsou (same artist), it's starting to feel like Namco's just throwing poop at the wall and hoping something sticks...

Barakov

Mefisutoferesu said:
OK, lol, found a more complete scan, but it's small so I can't read it, buuuuuut angol fia seems to be related to angol mois from Keroro gunsou (same artist), it's starting to feel like Namco's just throwing poop at the wall and hoping something sticks...

Wat.....

RevenantKioku

Byakuya769 said:
Meaning there is very little outside of academic posturing to discuss about it. I mean you learned about it from fucking magic the gathering... and yet have not even read it. However, you think it may be a mark of being uneducated to not know about it? Come on. Now people know about it because of a Soul Calibur character, so now everyone is more educated? I mean, REALLY?.
I said it's a mark of being uneducated?
I just think it's the difference from seeing something you don't know and going "What the fuck is this shit?" to instinctively doing some research about it.
But yes, if people do discover more through the naming of that character, they become more educated. That's kinda how it works.

RevenantKioku said:
I just think it's the difference from seeing something you don't know and going "What the fuck is this shit?" to instinctively doing some research about it.
But yes, if people do discover more through the naming of that character, they become more educated. That's kinda how it works.

You gave credence to the notion that not knowing it may mean one is not educated. Who said "what the fuck is this shit"? Who in this thread has been on that extreme?

But hey I just found out the steel metal ps3 might be sold out on konami's jp site... consider me more educated.

Question. What kind of fairy tale is a mark of education?

2nj901u.jpg

1001 nights.

Neo C.

karasu said:
I have. I've also read Journey to the West. But I really have no idea how Snow White or whatever is relevant to actual life an the decisions that are a part of it.
I won't say it's necessary in our life, though it's always nice to know a bit more.
For example, you want to read Ludwig Tieck's "der gestiefelte Kater" which is based on the fairy tale "Puss in Boots". You don't know this fairy tale? Then you miss a part of the fun. You don't know the historian references? You will miss a large part of the fun. The less you know the less you will find it funny - or even worse, you don't understand it at all.
Whatever you read, there are always lots of cultural references, even in an anthropological study of Claude Lévi-Strauss. As someone already mentioned, today it's easy to do some research. It's not really about "educated" vs. "uneducated", because we are all uneducated in some part.

RevenantKioku

Byakuya769 said:
You gave credence to the notion that not knowing it may mean one is not educated. Who said "what the fuck is this shit"? Who in this thread has been on that extreme?

But hey I just found out the steel metal ps3 might be sold out on konami's jp site... consider me more educated.
And I don't thin that's a harsh thing. Being poorly read is a mark of being uneducated. The key is 'may mean'. What we have here is a bunch of people getting antsy that their intelligence may be in question. Sure, you can be well read and educated but some may become surprised when they discover you haven't read or even heard of some more prominent works.
By the by I think we might be going by different definitions of the term 'educated'.

Prax

DKnight said:
Why don't you make this one... read the fucking books! :lol or at least an anthology!

Wait.. did you just ask why I don't just read an 18-volume saga instead of draw a few crappy sketches and make a new character?!

I hope you know why I won't. XD

Besides, I just read the wiki about it! Isn't that enough?! D:

Look..! I even did what I said I would...

My NEW Scheherezade:
0308_scher_c.jpg

To always remind me of my illiteracy. <3

Oh, and to keep on topic, I even did a crappy one of Namco's:
sc4_scher.jpg

I just noticed she was left-handed! I guess they really liked what they did with Link in SC2!
(p.s. I also like how my scribbles make her look more than what she looks like in-game..)

EDIT: Just took out the "left-handed like link!" text if anyone wanted my "tokyopop ameri-manga" rendition of Scheherazade. xD

karasu

Neo C. said:
I won't say it's necessary in our life, though it's always nice to know a bit more.
For example, you want to read Ludwig Tieck's "der gestiefelte Kater" which is based on the fairy tale "Puss in Boots". You don't know this fairy tale? Then you miss a part of the fun. You don't know the historian references? You will miss a large part of the fun. The less you know the less you will find it funny - or even worse, you don't understand it at all.
Whatever you read, there are always lots of cultural references, even in an anthropological study of Claude Lévi-Strauss. As someone already mentioned, today it's easy to do some research. It's not really about "educated" vs. "uneducated", because we are all uneducated in some part.

Yeah, or while my neighbor was reading fairy tales, I was reading something else, or watching great films, or learning to play music, or taking part in any of the other myriad elements of culture in this wide world. Expanding your horizons is important. Experiencing the world you live in is important. Being exposed to challenging ideas is important. But bookshelf enlightenment, especially in reference to fairy tales, isn't much to brag about.

While I don't think it's fair to call anyone who did not recognize the name "Scheherezade" uneducated, I do highly recommend to those who have not read the Arabian Nights, to do so.

With that said, while I don't mind the character design, I do wish we can get some more Arabian themed characters in SC4.

Neo C.

karasu said:
But bookshelf enlightenment, especially in reference to fairy tales, isn't much to brag about.
The good thing is: it's not only about bookshelf enlightenment. You can see references everywhere. I think this is the main reason why social and cultural anthropologists take myths and fairy tales so seriously.

ElyrionX

RevenantKioku said:

But if the subject matter isn't the least bit interesting to us, why should we be doing research about it? And just because we are not curious about a weird-sounding name doesn't mean we're not curious about other cultural elements.

I read more than 90% of the people out there and now just because I have yet to read Arabian Nights, I'm to be considered "uneducated"?

And that argument about the Zachariah thing is equally stupid. No, I do not know who Zachariah is and even what the name means or where it comes from. I am curious about the philosophical arguments for and against the existence of god and have read books about this. I just don't believe in exploring organized religion and a book that was written by humans and passed off as "god's word". Just because some of you are more familiar with certain subjects does not mean that everyone else who does not know the subject should be classified as "uneducated" or "ignorant".

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Prax said:
Wait.. did you just ask why I don't just read an 18-volume saga instead of draw a few crappy sketches and make a new character?!

I hope you know why I won't. XD

Besides, I just read the wiki about it! Isn't that enough?! D:

Look..! I even did what I said I would...

My NEW Scheherezade:
0308_scher_c.jpg

To always remind me of my illiteracy. <3

Oh, and to keep on topic, I even did a crappy one of Namco's:
namco_sc4_scher.jpg

I just noticed she was left-handed! I guess they really liked what they did with Link in SC2!
(p.s. I also like how my scribbles make her look more than what she looks like in-game..)
Well, I just suggested an anthology, I've not read the full 18 book set either :lol . BTW, those drawings are pretty cool!

RevenantKioku

I read more than 90% of the people out there and now just because I have yet to read Arabian Nights, I'm to be considered "uneducated"?
You don't get it and I don't really care anymore if you do. But since you read so much maybe you can find the answer in this thread. Happy hunting!

Dali

Narag said:
Seriously an amazing thread.
Yeah, several people, including myself, have mentioned or described another new character, yet unlike the last thread... the real SCIV Cher thread... those posts are glossed over because know one here is actually interested in SCIV.

I've seen the tiny scan and I have the same question other people have: Is it real? Her thighs look friggin' huge and the titi spikes... oh boy.

edit: Nevermind just read the famitsu thread.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dali said:
Yeah, several people, including myself, have mentioned or described another new character, yet unlike the last thread... the real SCIV Cher thread... those posts are glossed over because know one here is actually interested in SCIV.

I've seen the tiny scan and I have the same question other people have: Is it real? Her thighs look friggin' huge and the titi spikes... oh boy.

Next week will be better. McFarlane is BACK! And he's gifting us with a furry type!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Prax said:
Scheherezade
SC4 Scheherezade

Those are nice pictures. Would it be possible to get a version of the SC4 Scheherezade without the "Left-handed like Link!" comment? Would make a nice simple wallpaper for PC or PSP use.

ElyrionX said:
And that argument about the Zachariah thing is equally stupid. No, I do not know who Zachariah is and even what the name means or where it comes from. . . .Just because some of you are more familiar with certain subjects does not mean that everyone else who does not know the subject should be classified as "uneducated" or "ignorant".
No, just less educated and more ignorant. Wholly comparative measures, I agree. I myself am an idiot compared to some, a genius compared to others.

However, your attitude of dismissal toward subjects you don't know is uneducated and ignorant. Truly intelligent people do always have gaps in their knowledge. . .but are never happy about them. Read the damn Bible. It's incredibly important to understanding a great deal of human history. The 1001 Nights isn't on the same plane, but having at least a passing familiarity with it is expected.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, Arabian Nights isn't exactly an obscure little number either. As "classics" go, it's pretty close to the public consciousness.

It IS the most prominent Middle-Eastern work of literature in the American mindset. More people here have probably read bits from it than they have the Qur'an. Not knowing it is like not knowing who Hans Christian Anderson or the Grimms are.

Prax said:

Doesn't matter.

The awesome character designer Namco has got the job, and you're posting stuff to a gaming forum. :lol

Not to mention Namco's designs don't look like rejected Tokyopop ameri-manga. :X

ElyrionX

Liabe Brave said:
No, just less educated and more ignorant. Wholly comparative measures, I agree. I myself am an idiot compared to some, a genius compared to others.

However, your attitude of dismissal toward subjects you don't know is uneducated and ignorant. Truly intelligent people do always have gaps in their knowledge. . .but are never happy about them. Read the damn Bible. It's incredibly important to understanding a great deal of human history. The 1001 Nights isn't on the same plane, but having at least a passing familiarity with it is expected.

So by your measure, anyone who hasn't read the Quran and has no intention to is uneducated and ignorant, right?

Prax

The Take Out Bandit said:
Doesn't matter.

The awesome character designer Namco has got the job, and you're posting stuff to a gaming forum. :lol

Not to mention Namco's designs don't look like rejected Tokyopop ameri-manga. :X

lol. thanks? Tokyopop americ-manga is what I'm going for?

I'm complaining more about the 3D character models though. I'm so put off by how zombie-like all the lighter-skinned girls look. They really have this dead doll face on them.. kind of creepy! (the concept artwork is ok. I just don't think they were good at capturing it in 3D--or maybe it's all that crazy lighting that makes them look bad)

Other new character model (spikey-chest girl) also looks weird. Kind of like a cat-girl... (but more annoying??). Maybe they were going for some kind of contrast with monochrome costume and rainbow details.

Xapati

Prax said:

I'm complaining more about the 3D character models though. I'm so put off by how zombie-like all the lighter-skinned girls look. They really have this dead doll face on them.. kind of creepy! (the concept artwork is ok. I just don't think they were good at capturing it in 3D--or maybe it's all that crazy lighting that makes them look bad)

Other new character model (spikey-chest girl) also looks weird. Kind of like a cat-girl... (but more annoying??). Maybe they were going for some kind of contrast with monochrome costume and rainbow details.

I think they've fixed the dead look, they've (finally) added facial expressions and eye tracking. I certinately don't feel the characters have a dead look anymore:
1286_0005.jpg

ElyrionX said:
So by your measure, anyone who hasn't read the Quran and has no intention to is uneducated and ignorant, right?
Yes, and the key is the intention. Again, merely not having read any of the Quran makes one less educated, but not uneducated; there's always gaps in people's knowledge. But specifically planning not to learn is the epitome of ignorance. (Unless by "no intention to" you simply mean "doesn't have a step-by-step plan in place", in which case no problem.)

Prax said:

Mine Yoshizaki can do no wrong, do you hear me?!

He could kick a puppy into the path of a school bus causing it to drive over a mountain, and he would be free of guilt! :D

And not to harsh on your drawings dude, but yeah - there are some times when it's best to just walk away and draw something in the OT. :)

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, and the key is the intention. Again, merely not having read any of the Quran makes one less educated, but not uneducated; there's always gaps in people's knowledge. But specifically planning not to learn is the epitome of ignorance. (Unless by "no intention to" you simply mean "doesn't have a step-by-step plan in place", in which case no problem.)

So can you prove the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups for me? If not, do you plan to learn the proofs? I would say that to actively avoid education is ignorance, but only when one is actively avoiding education in general. To say "I don't plan to read book X" is in itself not ignorant as given a finite amount of time (both in the day, and in a life), we can only learn so much. Some things interest people more than others. I don't plan to read Arabian Nights anytime soon because you know what? Theres about a million other things I'd rather read/learn about. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if I ever read it of my own accord because that's just not the thing I'm interested in. Do I recognize that that means there will forever be a "gap" in my knowledge? Sure. But I also recognize for every gap I leave it gives me the oppurtunity to fill another, so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. As such, I don't think you can chastise or belittle someone for electing not to read something. It doesn't mean they're "uneducated" at all, it just means they may choose to be educated in a different area.

Flink

WHOAguitarninja said:
So can you prove the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups for me? If not, do you plan to learn the proofs? I would say that to actively avoid education is ignorance, but only when one is actively avoiding education in general. To say "I don't plan to read book X" is in itself not ignorant as given a finite amount of time (both in the day, and in a life), we can only learn so much. Some things interest people more than others. I don't plan to read Arabian Nights anytime soon because you know what? Theres about a million other things I'd rather read/learn about. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if I ever read it of my own accord because that's just not the thing I'm interested in. Do I recognize that that means there will forever be a "gap" in my knowledge? Sure. But I also recognize for every gap I leave it gives me the oppurtunity to fill another, so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. As such, I don't think you can chastise or belittle someone for electing not to read something. It doesn't mean they're "uneducated" at all, it just means they may choose to be educated in a different area.

Tits.

WHOAguitarninja said:
So can you prove the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups for me? If not, do you plan to learn the proofs? I would say that to actively avoid education is ignorance, but only when one is actively avoiding education in general. . . .As such, I don't think you can chastise or belittle someone for electing not to read something. It doesn't mean they're "uneducated" at all, it just means they may choose to be educated in a different area.
You're restating my position, so evidently I didn't make it clear. I tried to delineate an explicit distinction between "not having an appointment to learn fact [x]" and "not caring to ever know fact [x]". The former is pretty much a default stance in a world overfull of data; the latter is ignorant. That I don't even know what finite Abelian groups are is part of my poor mathematical learning, and I have no clue if or when I'll ever make up that lack. But if I felt pride or at least no chagrin about this, I'd be a dolt.

Akai

Xapati said:
I think they've fixed the dead look, they've (finally) added facial expressions and eye tracking. I certinately don't feel the characters have a dead look anymore:
*picture*

Hmmm...

itslinkcg6.jpg

Yep, she really is Link...

Top Bottom