• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Splatoon Info & Gameplay of Battle Dojo, amiibo, Single-Player

It's kinda weird. On the one hand the single player does look like the one from other multiplayer shootbangs in that it is superfluous. But at the same time their multiplayer is kinda gimped due to lack of voice chat too. So I can't tell what the focus of this game is. I'm guessing it's multiplayer.

It's not gimped. The amount of people who actually use voice chat in games in any useful matter is so minimal. Hell, I remember playing Titanfall on PC and no one would ever say shit. I wasn't even getting any shit talking.

Either way, a lot of my friends just use skype on our phones when we want to talk online while we play something. It's not a huge deal.

Red Devil

You seriously expect this game to sell worse than Wonderful 101? No fucking way, Splatoon already has created way more hype than W101 ever has and unlike the former has the full marketing of Nintendo behind it.

Very hard to guesstimate, but I expect the game to end up anywhere between 500k (disappointing end of the scale) and 1-1.5Mil LT. Depends on word of mouth after launch.

I believe it'll be around TW101, not sure what will the word of mouth of this game.

Was it ever confirmed if you can use the CC Pro for all of the game modes?

If I have to use the uncomfortable bulky gamepad then I'm not going to buy this.

You can't use the CC Pro but you can use the Wii U Pro Controller, no idea where you can't use it though.

NateDrake

I believe it'll be around TW101, not sure what will the word of mouth of this game.

Splatoon will do better than TW101. Nintendo has been putting Splatoon at every event and given people lots of opportunity to play the game. The line at PAX East to demo the game was insane.

Exile20

If I had to guess I'd say Splatoon has the ingredients of a winner.

1)Anecdotally, people seem to find the inklings appealing
2)The multiplayer focus makes it the kind of game you'd get in order to play with friends
3)It fits with Mario Kart 8 (multi-player racing) and Smash Brothers (multi-player fighting) which have sold very well on Wii U relative to userbase.

That doesn't mean it'll do well but I think it has potential.

Hope we see a sequel on Wii U. So much they could still do.

test_account

XP-39C²
Avoids situations such as

Dude: "I am 10th prestige in COD"
*Goes directly into ranked games*
First game in ranked: REKT
Isnt it the same with Splatoon? I might be wrong, but i'm under the impression that leveling up in Splatoon is about XP points that you earn while playing, just like its in Call of Duty (and many other games as well). In that case, everyone can level up to a certain level, its just a matter of time.

I think level 10 being required in Splatoon is just to make sure that people have some basic concept on how to play the game. Its still possible to be a noob in the game regardless of the level =)

Bahlor

This looks totally amazing! I just wish it had a local 2on2 mode... guess I will need another WiiU to totally enjoy this game with my better half or will I be able to play this online with a friend? (Like MK8)

May will be hard month... from the financial side... witcher... project cars... splatoon... oh lord...

Splatoon will do better than TW101. Nintendo has been putting Splatoon at every event and given people lots of opportunity to play the game. The line at PAX East to demo the game was insane.

Not to mention that they've had advertisements for the game up in big box stores like Wal-Mart & Target for a little over a month now. They've done a pretty good job advertising the game, and I think that we'll see commercials popping up soon.

Exile20

Isnt it the same with Splatoon? I might be wrong, but i'm under the impression that leveling up in Splatoon is about XP points that you earn while playing, just like its in Call of Duty (and many other games as well). In that case, everyone can level up to a certain level, its just a matter of time.

I think level 10 being required in Splatoon is just to make sure that people have some basic concept on how to play the game. Its still possible to be a noob in the game regardless of the level =)

But atleast they would be an experienced noob.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, but you earn much faster if you're winning. So the first to play the ranked battles will be less noobs.

Exile20

Battle Dojo

- 1v1 offline multiplayer versus mode
- focus is on popping balloons
- uses the same arenas as multiplayer Turf Wars
- a column of colored rings indicates where a set of inflated targets will spawn
- player with the highest score at the end of five minutes wins
- point value doubles in the later moments of a match
- wooden crates contain surprise abilities
- these have to be used immediately
- not all of the special moves seen in multiplayer show up in this mode
- if you zoom out in front of your opponent, there is a mercy rule
- first player to score 30 points wins

amiibo

- in-game empty amiibo box sits in a corner of Inkopoli
- approaching the container and scanning the figures summons one of the three characters
- each one has a challenge
- certain missions reward you with gold, other hand out exclusive amiibo-only equipmen

Shopkeepers

- if you’re not connected to the Internet, you cannot buy anything to customize your character
- Nintendo will roll out gear over time that provides both a unique look and useful utility
- single player has its own sets of gear
- a separate form of currency called Power Eggs beefs up each one
- there isn’t a gear or equipment link between single-player and multiplayer

Customization

- no custom match types
- user settings for look sensitivity controls can only be adjusted before (or after) a match

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251511-ign-splatoon-battle-dojo-amiibo-shopkeeper-and-customization-info
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...mpressions-of-1v1-battle-dojo-amiibo-and-more

There might be a bit of Perfect Dark in Splatoon

Producer Hisashi Nogami claims Nintendo didn’t start off trying to make a multiplayer shooter with Splatoon, but that hasn’t stopped him name checking one of Nintendo's most famous examples of the genre: Perfect Dark.

Nogami said that Splatoon began with a desire to "to not get too caught up in Nintendo's already existing franchises". Many popular genres already have at least one Nintendo property associated with them - Mario with platforming, Zelda with action adventure, Pokemon with role-playing - so staying away from them dictated Splatoon's direction as much as anything else.

"We went through a period of creating lots of prototypes," Nogami said. "We didn't want a franchise-based game, so we made a bunch of prototypes and one of those prototypes happened to be the game that became Splatoon. The idea was 'something fun, something new, something different,' not 'a shooter.'"

So if the team was trying to do something entirely new, how does Rare's grand old Perfect Dark figure into it? The same way it may well figure into your life: lots of late nights when you really should have been doing your homework.

"The development team is made up of people who play games a lot, and among them are people who play shooting games a lot, including Mr. [Yusuke] Amano, one of the game's directors, who I've heard has spent his college years playing Perfect Dark," Nogami observed.

"As game designers who play games, you can't really help observing things you like and don't like, and having those have some degree of influence on your thinking. The best way to express this is that it forms a base of thought that you bring into game development, but it doesn't directly influence the game development.

http://www.gamesradar.com/splatoon-shooter-perfect-dark/

Neff

I hope it does well but my fear is that it will shift about 100k copies and the community will be dead in weeks. Such an interesting spin away from the usual shooter fare we have.

It is literally, scientifically impossible that this will happen, unless Nintendo decides to shut down the servers forever in the same month of release because Iwata stubs his toe that morning.

It's not like the Wii U community is a hundred or so guys indifferently playing new games for a week, tossing them aside then waiting several months until the next one. You can raise your optimism a bit in this case.

Geg

It is literally, scientifically impossible that this will happen, unless Nintendo decides to shut down the servers forever in the same month of release because Iwata stubs his toe that morning.

It's not like the Wii U community is a hundred or so guys indifferently playing new games for a week, tossing them aside then waiting several months until the next one. You can raise your optimism a bit in this case.

I'm more worried about the online being stable enough to handle the 8 player games

Henkka

Banned
I don't know about this game. The style is great, but character movement looks kinda slow. I know this is probably to encourage players to turn into squids, but covering the environment in paint looks like it could get pretty tiresome after a while.

I haven't played it though, so these are just gut feelings based on footage.

test_account

XP-39C²
But atleast they would be an experienced noob.
Yeah, but you earn much faster if you're winning. So the first to play the ranked battles will be less noobs.
Sure, i just wanted to mention its no "no noob" guarantee =) Just like its other games like Call of Duty as well. Makes sense why they have a minimum level requirement for ranked matches in Splatoon though. I think it is a good design choice.

This game is dead to me with the lack local split screen multiplayer or online split screen co -op. Il wait for the sequel if it gets one

Red Devil

Wonderful 101 sold around 6k in its first week in Japan and barely made 30k in its first month in NA

Splatoon WILL do better than that.

Hopefully so, considering it's dependant of people being online.

- certain missions reward you with gold, other hand out exclusive amiibo-only equipmen

Ugh, I liked this when they ambigously said "rare".

- Nintendo will roll out gear over time that provides both a unique look and useful utility

Now this is interesting.

Razmos

Why would anyone want to play it split screen? isn't a lot of the fun hiding in the ink and ambushing people? that would be completely ruined on split screen.

Bahlor

Why would anyone want to play it split screen? isn't a lot of the fun hiding in the ink and ambushing people? that would be completely ruined on split screen.

Because its fun seeing the reactions of your enemies on the couch?

You can't use the CC Pro but you can use the Wii U Pro Controller, no idea where you can't use it though.
Wii u is only for the second player. Game pad is a must for single and online

Shauni

Were people expecting some kind of in-depth story? I kind of always got a Ninty vibe that it would be pretty minimalistic in that regard.

test_account

XP-39C²
Unless:

18j2m3yd6y1wrjpg.jpg

Hehe ;)

Razmos

Because its fun seeing the reactions of your enemies on the couch?
But if one person is playing on the game pad and one on the screen then you can still see that. It would be more fun in fact because there'd be no cheating by looking at their screen.

DaBoss

Avoids situations such as

Dude: "I am 10th prestige in COD"
*Goes directly into ranked games*
First game in ranked: REKT
I said "lol" because he straight up says you don't want noobs on your team, so your response is unwarranted. But...

10th prestige in CoD means you have gotten to level 50 or something nine times after resetting back to level 1. If someone were at 10th prestige and gets wrecked, then they clearly hacked lol.

CoD also locks certain gameplay modes behind a level requirement, so this isn't entirely new.

I have nothing really against this solution though it sucks that it isn't available as soon as you hit lvl10 though I can understand somewhat to wait for many people to reach lvl10.

And yea, it doesn't make ranked noob-proof at launch or something.

Einbroch

Banned
Turf War looks so incredibly boring. There just isn't enough interaction with you or your opponent. Kills don't really matter and it matters more about coordinating your team to cover as much of the map as possible...but with no voice chat you're just kinda running around doing your own thing. I dunno. Seems like it'll be fun for a few days but have zero legs. Maybe it's just not for me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Turf War looks so incredibly boring. There just isn't enough interaction with you or your opponent. Kills don't really matter and it matters more about coordinating your team to cover as much of the map as possible...but with no voice chat you're just kinda running around doing your own thing. I dunno. Seems like it'll be fun for a few days but have zero legs. Maybe it's just not for me.

Search for reactions of players playing this at expos. I haven't heard one saying it is boring. Without any kind of communication, as you were put there without knowing which ones of the other 7 people were in your team so you don't go shouting around "Player 2! Go back to base!" Not that there was the need for that at any point.

Einbroch

Banned
Search for reactions of players playing this at expos. I haven't heard one saying it is boring. Without any kind of communication, as you were put there without knowing which ones of the other 7 people were in your team so you don't go shouting around "Player 2! Go back to base!" Not that there was the need for that at any point.

Not really refuting what I said about it being fun for a few days but not having legs.

I just don't see the depth and interaction required to have people coming back for more.

Exile20

Did you watch any of the vids in the op? Everyone is still excited about it especially the press who played it since it was first announced in last year E3.

Kills do matter just that they don't define who wins or loses. This isn't your typical shooter and that is it biggest appeal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not really refuting what I said about it being fun for a few days but not having legs.

I just don't see the depth and interaction required to have people coming back for more.

It's your feeling so I can't respond to this. It's so generic that you could apply this kind of statement to any game. But again, if that's how you feel, it can't be argued against.

The depth of the game comes from using the game mechanics (hide in the ink, paint your way forward, traversal movement etc), from the weapons you use and how you adapt to them. The kills don't matter that much in Turf Wars (although the enemies dies in an explosion that splashes your paint around), but everything else you do matter.

You level up, you get new weapons, you have different maps. You get to level 10 and go into Ranked battle. Where the kills also matter if that's the only thing that rocks your boat.

Diffense

But it's missing one major element of both of those series:

Mario

I knew someone would say that. lol
Yeah, it remains to be seen how much the lack of a plumber will hurt it.
The good news is that the inklings seem to be well received.
It's not impossible that they could become popular on their own merit.
Pikuchu and co. are quite a bit younger than Mario.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Mario suspender outfit and FLUDD inspired weapon are coming.

MrPanic

The game still looks great. I am worried about the amount of content though. I really hope there are a ton of maps and more multiplayer modes than they've shown so far. Ninty's marketing always seem to focus on certain aspects a lot so there's no telling atm how much we should expect, but if we don't get over 10 maps some side-modes like a 4 player FFA and a simple TD mode I'll be severely disappointed. A lack of variety killed many past shooters for me and this game seems like gold so I don't want to see the same happening to it.

Exile20

The game still looks great. I am worried about the amount of content though. I really hope there are a ton of maps and more multiplayer modes than they've shown so far. Ninty's marketing always seem to focus on certain aspects a lot so there's no telling atm how much we should expect, but if we don't get over 10 maps some side-modes like a 4 player FFA and a simple TD mode I'll be severely disappointed. A lack of variety killed many past shooters for me and this game seems like gold so I don't want to see the same happening to it.

I am with you on that.

Does anyone have a list of maps announced so far?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't watch video at the moment but do anyone confirm any kind of party where I can invite my friends into my party for 4vs4

thefro

I am with you on that.

Does anyone have a list of maps announced so far?

E3 Stage (I think I remember a video showing "City Streets")
Saltspray Rig
Walleye Warehouse
Blackbelly Skatepark
Arowana Mall
Camp Triggerfish

I believe pretty much all of those except Camp Triggerfish were all in the E3 unveil trailer, so there's definitely some things they're holding back I would think.

EulaCapra

It kills me inside every time to see that this game doesn't support at least 4-player couch multiplayer. My casual friends don't have enough interest in video games to warrant a Wii U purchase, but they love to play the multiplayer games and have been looking forward to this. I guess alternating to play online will have to do for now.

bounchfx

single player looks awesome, but holy hell does whoever playing suck at aiming

also, the second "single player" link goes to a multiplayer video

I believe pretty much all of those except Camp Triggerfish were all in the E3 unveil trailer, so there's definitely some things they're holding back I would think.

Yeah. We know there is also another online mode they haven't revealed.

From Edge magazine interview
"- More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones"

Probably saving stuff for a Direct?

Maffis

the single player mission looks extremely easy. i hope its just the beginning and that the puzzles reach portal-difficulty later.

can't wait, grabbing a refurbed wii u off of Nintendo's web store once I cash my tax refund,
then I can stop hijacking my sisters lol
definitely going to have to invest in a surge protector for my room though

Hatchtag

Banned

Seems like a good sign that they know this game is going to need post-launch support. Hopefully they'll make DLC map packs to keep the community thriving, too.

Top Bottom