• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars TFA footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

That shot of the explosion behind the parade is like "FUCK".

If the OT made the Empire look like the Nazis from old American/British war movies, then JJ is making the bad guys look like the Nazis from fucking Schindler's list.

That shot of the explosion behind the parade is like "FUCK".

If the OT made the Empire look like the Nazis from old American/British war movies, then JJ is making the bad guys look like the Nazis from fucking Schindler's list.

More like Nazis from Wolfenstein. :p

Guy.brush

How did I never notice that the red line is actually a giant laser slowly passing by the window before?

It is moving very slow, for a weapon that according to JJ is an upgrade on the Deathstars from before.
Especially if it can destroy
solar systems, you would expect it to move a bit faster. Someone will probably make the calculation how Starkiller base would need to be outside of a system to heat up the system's sun but then this energy beam would take years or even thousands of years to reach its target.
Ah well space fantasy..

LordOfChaos

One of the few good things (for me) about 3D is that 2D screenings are cheaper and less busy.

I just don't enjoy it and have a harder time detecting (being fooled by?) than most. Also can't see those Magic Eye puzzles ever. Although it's getting more convincing. Avatar spores and Hobbit actually delivered convincing moments for me.

PBF217-Magic_Eyes.gif

LordOfChaos

also shoutouts to Finn apparently losing that 1v1 with a Stromtrooper and needin ol' Han to bail him out

to be fair, he did just get a lightsaber. Might need a little work with it.

I'd be pretty happy if the Stormtroopers did some pwning for once, they're supposed to be pretty rare (in the galactic sense) professionals of really high skill. Heck, kill a character to a Storm trooper shot rather than a bigger baddie.

Snake

Andy Serkis' lines sound a lot better here than in the first teaser. I was worried about him coming off as corny before, but he sounds fine/good if this is any indication.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
the best film to have ever been released in the past 10 years

no disappointment will come out of this

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All you guys hype about Kylo can enjoy him for the 1 movie he is in. He's the Darth Maul of this new trilogy. He's not making it out of this movie alive.

You just speculating there or do you think you know something?

Be mindful and all that...

Just speculation based on the logical progression of the story from the trailers and everything we know from press releases. Kylo is a member of a larger group just like Maul was. Chances of such a character making it out alive are slim to none. He is your classic stepping stone antagonist.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All you guys hype about Kylo can enjoy him for the 1 movie he is in. He's the Darth Maul of this new trilogy. He's not making it out of this movie alive.
Why would they kill off Han and Leia's kid in the first movie?

(I know nothing. My speculation entirely)

Uhhhh? What is the point of this? We know Adam Driver is Kylo. Did you mistakenly read that as Episode VIII cause it clearly says Episode VII.

The part where contract negotiations hung up on him needing to do future films.

(this is why putting Uhhhhhs in your posts as some sort of false verbal tic is usually ill-advised)

Uhhhh? What is the point of this? We know Adam Driver is Kylo. Did you mistakenly read that as Episode VIII cause it clearly says Episode VII.

I'm going to spoiler the quote just in case.

The delay in making a decision was due to scheduling issues with “Star Wars” and his HBO show “Girls.”
Sources say it’s not just Season 4 that was the hangup, but also future seasons, since future “Star Wars” installments could also coincide with upcoming seasons of the HBO Lena Dunham comedy.

CasualTR

Banned
Well other than the fact it sounds nothing like Hamill and the fact we have known for over a year that's Andy Serkis.

The desperation for Hamill Luke to secretly be one of the leads that we already know about is something I never expected. I would have assumed people would have moved pas denial about Lukes role in the film by now.

The movie is about Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo. This is their film.

The move to not include hamill is deliberate. The movie will be the original cast passing on the torch.

The part where contract negotiations hung up on him needing to do future films.

One article speculates on why negotiations are held up and you take it as a matter of fact. All plot signs point to stepping stone antagonist, so I'm confident in that. Like I said he has a slim chance to survive just Dooku had a slim chance to survive and he made it all of 15 minutes into Episode 3. We'll see in like 3 weeks or whatever whether I am right.

BocoDragon

One article speculates on why negotiations are held up and you take it as a matter of fact. All plot signs point to stepping stone antagonist, so I'm confident in that. Like I said he has a slim chance to survive just Dooku had a slim chance to survive and he made it all of 15 minutes into Episode 3. We'll see in like 3 weeks or whatever whether I am right.

Can you name even one of these "plot signs"?

Don't ask yourself "who is the next Darth Maul?"

Think "who is the next Tarkin?"

General Hux or Captain Phasma might be on deathwatch, not Kylo Ren.

One article speculates on why negotiations are held up and you take it as a matter of fact.

It's Variety. They broke the story of his hiring in the first place. Obviously the sources they're citing were solid.

You don't really know what you're talking about. Which is fine, because you're working from a limited knowledge base using just the trailers and articles (some of which you haven't actually read), just don't maybe present your speculation as fait accompli, because you're probably gonna freak people out who think you have inside knowledge and are spoiling them.

Nodnol

What plot signs point to him being a short term villain? They're not going to make the same mistakes the PT made, and if try do kill off one of the bag guys, it'll be Gleeson.

Finn, Rey, Poe and Kylo will be in all three films.

True, looking to the Prequels as some sort of long term plotting gameplan seems like a bad idea, especially if you're reading interviews and such, like the one Kasdan just gave Wired where he flat out says he and Abrams were trying to channel Star Wars and Empire as much as they could.

They're not looking to Prequel storytelling conventions to make this movie, so using Maul and Dooku as measuring sticks seems ill-considered.

I think they gave Kylo the look and sound similar to Vader because he is the new Vader. There will be someone above him but he is a major player in this. I refuse to believe JJ would pull another Maul.

I wont post here because if it turns out to be true it would be pretty spoilery even though the guys were just speculating. The predictions made by red letter media about Kylo I'm willing to bet are somewhat accurate. There is no way he is only in the one movie.

ultrazilla

Mark Hammil is doing that voice, I can feel it!!

listen to the Two talking I know one is Kylo Ren but the other sounds like Hammil...

the circle is complete etc.

Nah.....
If some leaks are to be believed, Luke is in exile watching over a Sith Lord tomb as he found out after the events in ROTJ splinter groups who worshipped the Sith where seeking it out. If these Sith followers(Kylo Ren) find the tomb, they think they can resurrect him/it(Palpatine?) The shot in the trailer of the mechanical hand reaching up and touching R2 is Luke(R2 apparently went with him to guard the tomb). It's also been rumored that Luke has grown very powerful with the force and other sith ghosts torment him while watching over the tomb. Sounds really awesome if true.

ultrazilla

I think my geek self actually figured out the "holy crap" revelation for the movie. Is it ok to spoiler tag and share it here even if it's speculation(but I'm will to be my right hand hahaha I'm dead on).

Guy.brush

You know his identity? Cause that totally goes against him being a 1 movie only villain.
HEAVY HEAVY SPOILER
He kills his father in this one, and his father is none other than a famous smuggler.

Can you name even one of these "plot signs"?

Don't ask yourself "who is the next Darth Maul?"

Think "who is the next Tarkin?"

General Hux or Captain Phasma might be on deathwatch, not Kylo Ren.

You're wrong about Ren.

He'll be in all three films and will grow through out. JJ did an interview where he said his arc will follow that of Luke's in the OT but from the other side.

I suspect he'll try it on with Luke and be blown away but take him out by the time the trilogy is finished.

Also Ren is probably a
Skywalker child

BocoDragon

You're wrong about Ren.

He'll be in all three films and will grow through out. JJ did an interview where he said his arc will follow that of Luke's in the OT but from the other side.

I suspect he'll try it on with Luke and be blown away but take him out by the time the trilogy is finished.

Also Ren is probably a
Skywalker child

Huh? It doesn't sound like you're talking to me. I'm saying Ren is mostly like in for a few films.

Blader

If there are any "stepping stone antagonists" in this film, it's far more likely to be Hux, who seems like the Tarkin of this movie, than Kylo

ultrazilla

Go for it, geek self.

Kylo Ren and Rey are revealed to be the offspring of Han and Leia who much like Luke and Leia, were taken away and "hidden" due to Han and Leia not wanting them to be found by the remnants/sympathizers of the Empire. Solo and Leia's son was found by the yet seen Andy Serkis's "Supreme Leader Snoke". Snoke realizes that Solo's son has force powers and bestows upon him his new identity: Kylo Ren. Snoke brainwashes Ren stating that Vader(Ren's grandfather) was the true hero of the galaxy, wanting to bring peace and balance to the universe and that it was his Uncle Luke who betrayed his own father and killed him. Luke has gone missing after finding out the location of a hidden Sith Lord tomb that he believes Sith followers are trying to find so that they can resurrect him/her/it(Snoke and Kylo are looking for this tomb) Luke has taken R2 D2 with him to keep him company while Luke fends off the tomb from raiders and is tormented by sith force ghosts. Han Solo is struck down by his own son Kylo Ren. Finn is also revealed to be "force sensitive" and is the off spring of Mace Windu whom we find out is ALIVE and survived his fateful encounter with Palpatine. Other speculation is that Finn is Lando Calrission's(Billy Dee Williams) son(though this would mean Finn is not force sensitive). Finn and Rey are given a mission by Leia to try to find Luke as a new Death Star like weapon has become operational that will crush the rebels once and for all.....So basically the holy crap reveals will be Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister and Kylo Ren kills his father Han Solo.

You think I'm close?

Nodnol

Kylo Ren and Rey are revealed to be the offspring of Han and Leia who much like Luke and Leia, were taken away and "hidden" due to Han and Leia not wanting them to be found by the remnants/sympathizers of the Empire. Solo and Leia's son was found by the yet seen Andy Serkis's "Supreme Leader Snoke". Snoke realizes that Solo's son has force powers and bestows upon him his new identity: Kylo Ren. Snoke brainwashes Ren stating that Vader(Ren's grandfather) was the true hero of the galaxy, wanting to bring peace and balance to the universe and that it was his Uncle Luke who betrayed his own father and killed him. Luke has gone missing after finding out the location of a hidden Sith Lord tomb that he believes Sith followers are trying to find so that they can resurrect him/her/it(Snoke and Kylo are looking for this tomb) Luke has taken R2 D2 with him to keep him company while Luke fends off the tomb from raiders and is tormented by sith force ghosts. Han Solo is struck down by his own son Kylo Ren. Finn is also revealed to be "force sensitive" and is the off spring of Mace Windu whom we find out is ALIVE and survived his fateful encounter with Palpatine. Other speculation is that Finn is Lando Calrission's(Billy Dee Williams) son(though this would mean Finn is not force sensitive). Finn and Rey are given a mission by Leia to try to find Luke as a new Death Star like weapon has become operational that will crush the rebels once and for all.....So basically the holy crap reveals will be Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister and Kylo Ren kills his father Han Solo.

You think I'm close?

You've got a lot
wrong, or rather things we simply don't know. You're right on a couple of points though. If you REALLY want to know, check the spoiler thread.

bengraven

You think I'm close?

Huh...You got all that from the trailers and news articles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom