• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Location Test Reveals... (New/Old Chars + MORE) !

Zaptruder

Banned
when did they start referring to them as claw and dictator? o_O

Just use their american names? Or are they changing that for SF4?

sonicspear64 said:
T. Hawk was born in Mexico, not that he actually matters these days. :lol

I must be one of the few T Hawk fans out there. I was so pumped to see him in SF 2. I just wish they had redone his moves so everything wasn't a chop.

GrayFoxPL

Zaptruder said:
when did they start referring to them as claw and dictator? o_O

Just use their american names? Or are they changing that for SF4?

Gamers refer internationally to them like that to avoid confusion. Japan <---> rest of the World.

It really makes no sense NOT to have the 4 New Challengers,in there. I mean, chronologically, since they were the last characters added in the SFII game line, they would MORE LIKELY still be around in the SFIV tournament, then say Honda or Guile or Dictator.

MisterHero

The-Switcher said:
One thing that Street Fighter IV does, is it actually makes Americans have hair colors other than blonde. Aside from both Viper and Rufus, there's not a single Street Fighter who was born in North America, whose hair wasn't blonde.
Boxer (Balrog). :lol

Actually that look would be interesting.

Also, I heard that Ken is 3/4ths Japanese-1/4th American and dyes his hair (it's actually black?). But I don't know if that's canon or not. :lol

QCF Punch

Neo Member
MisterHero said:

Also, I heard that Ken is 3/4ths Japanese-1/4th American and dyes his hair (it's actually black?). But I don't know if that's canon or not. :lol

I'm pretty sure it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe his eyebrows are still black (as well as ridiculously huge).

Nikashi

Banned
MisterHero said:

Well I know they've referenced his mom as Japanese a few times, I guess it's not a stretch to assume his dad might be half Japanese. And I think a bunch of the Street Fighter cast in general must 'dye their hair'.

Karin = Japanese blonde
Birdie = Black blonde
Ryu = USED TO BE A REDHEAD
Rainbow Mika = Japanese Blonde
Akuma = Japanese Redhead (Okay maybe that might be demons)

Granted I'm dipping into SF1 and Alpha here, but there's alot of fighters who keep peroxide around.

MisterHero

QCF Punch said:
So who canonically won the 2nd World Warrior tournament? I always thought it was Chun-Li but recently i heard Guile?
I think it was Ken. Ryu won the 1st one (SFone). I think Alex beat Gill.

Does Akuma's appearance in SF2 apply to the canon?

I really like SF's backstory but it's confusing. o_o

Elbrain said:
BISON!!!!!

7x99l5z.gif

QCF Punch

Neo Member
MisterHero said:
I think it was Ken. Ryu won the 1st one (SFone). I think Alex beat Gill.

Does Akuma's appearance in SF2 apply to the canon?

I really like SF's backstory but it's confusing. o_o

I agree. People talk shit about SF's story, but for a fighter it's pretty damn good and i really enjoy it. It also has the benefit of being a very long running series, which allows for a lot of character development. That's why I hope some A3 or 3S chars make it into IV so that we can get a little more expansion on their stories.

I also agree that's it's confusing, but eh.

I always thought that Akuma killing Bison was canon, but i won't lose any sleep over it if it isn't.

Depending on how the World Warrior was actually set up, it's hard to tell who actually "won", and if the Four Heavenly Kings actually took part or were some preset finalists. All signs point to that Ryu didn't get a match with Sagat (possibly that he was seeded to fight someone else instead) and dropped out. Most likely Chun-Li and Guile fought in the semi-finals and Chun-Li decided to throw the fight to let Guile face Bison in top condition.

But yeah, really, nothing is decided and I doubt Capcom is gonna sit down and give us a run-down of who fought who as a backstory for this game.

Which is kind of poor. Even Virtua Fighter that basically has NO ongoing story (apart from vague statements that Wolf is fighting to save the world from the evil of J6 and noone else has a clue) states more or less who beat who in the last tournament.

Red Scarlet

Do you still go to the USSR when you fight Zangief? Always thought that was weird that it was still called USSR in all those SF2's.

yurinka

sonicspear64 said:

Yep ^_^J I know the video is awful, but it's the only thing we found. BTW the four bosses look great in the scan, no? There are the victory images when they win a round (enhaced with ink effects, etc).

This week was suposed the day with the update in the oficial site, but looks like next tuesday / wednesday is when we are going to see oficial artwork and snapshots of these new characters.

But would be before if certain Arcadia magazine is properly scanned...

USD said:
7x99l5z.gif
25r15p1.gif

THIS IS DELICIOUS
I CAN'T BELIVE MY EYES! xD

BTW, to the haters/trolls who are always looking for arguements to bitch SFIV: This is not the first game where Vega (claw) is brunette ingame and blonde in the artwork. It happened in a lot of other games, including some SF2 titles. And wait to see his "alternate pallete colors" before talking about anything like that.

Pachinko

actually foxspirit I believe the current policy is that no scans of any kind are acceptable on neogaf anymore. So I'd remove the pic just to be on the safe side.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Star Power said:
I really wish there weren't so many SFII characters in this game. Vega looks great though.

It's just the start, there will be more new characters in the future most likely.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
QCF Punch said:
So who canonically won the 2nd World Warrior tournament? I always thought it was Chun-Li but recently i heard Guile?

This is the way I have always understod it...

First Tournament - Ryu defeated Sagat.
Second Tournament - Guile defeated Bison (Akuma then killed Bison)
Third Tournament - Alex defeated Gill.

Fei Long, and the 3rd Strike's cast absence is mostly forgiven.

But, if Yang, Makoto, Ibiki, and/or Dudley return...

Must buy.

Game looks like it's shaping up to be excellent, regardless.

QCF Punch

Neo Member
tapedeck said:
Wait...Parrying is in? Sweet! I had no idea.

*crawls back under rock*

Yeah i noticed that too. Though it could have just been an animation they added for when you get hit while doing a Focus Attack, since it takes two consecutive hits to knock you out of one. But even though Ono seemed adamant about keeping parries out, I'm keeping hope alive.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sagat looks like a beast, and I love how they kept the air twist he makes after a Tiger Uppercut - and El Fuerte continues to look like a character that I'll be rocking...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
QCF Punch said:
Yeah i noticed that too. Though it could have just been an animation they added for when you get hit while doing a Focus Attack, since it takes two consecutive hits to knock you out of one. But even though Ono seemed adamant about keeping parries out, I'm keeping hope alive.

Focus Attacks eat one attack (except for supers and ultras), but you still take damage. So it's kind of like a parry... your attack still keeps going through even though you're hit. The cool thing that was reported from the location test is that whatever damage you take is greyed out and actually recovers if you don't get hit for a few seconds. But if you get hit then you lose all of that damage forever. It's a pretty neat system.

QCF Punch

Neo Member
Reno said:
Focus Attacks eat one attack (except for supers and ultras), but you still take damage. So it's kind of like a parry... your attack still keeps going through even though you're hit. The cool thing that was reported from the location test is that whatever damage you take is greyed out and actually recovers if you don't get hit for a few seconds. But if you get hit then you lose all of that damage forever. It's a pretty neat system.

Yeah that is pretty cool, and will add another layer of strategy. Though they must have just recently added the blue flash animation, because that wasn't in any of the vids i had seen from any of the earlier loketests. I like it though, because it gives the player a visual cue as to whether or not they have absorbed an attack yet.

Somewhat unrelated note...i cannot wait for this game.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
This game is looking so cool! And the power attack definitely adds a layer of strategy, love it.

I'm really wanting to see other characters (so many, too many) like Cammy and Fei Long.

Top Bottom