• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New super hot Final Fantasy XV CG character renders (Cidney, Iris, etc.)

dramatis

You know, when the same thing has been criticized for one and a half year, it's pretty close to whining.
I suppose if we criticize bad female representation for years, it's always going to be considered whining to the guys who like the status quo?

Dice//

Banned
Still miles above the fashion disaster that was FFX.

Outside of, I guess, Yuna, I completely agree.

That said, Cidney is still a really cheap and incredibly obvious design. We know why she looks the way she does.
Posting for posterity:
DXGH2sO.jpg

Mailbox

I suppose if we criticize bad female representation for years, it's always going to be considered whining to the guys who like the status quo?

I think his point is that the vitrol pointed to Cindy has gotten boring and annoying. None of us really think her outfit fits, but when you see the same comments over and over again, it becomes boring.

And your point rings rather hollow considering that Quite, an objectively worse character, hasn't gotten nearly as much shit and has basically been forgotten into the ether (though to be fair, quite DID get lots of shit. My point is that Cindy seems to be getting more shit for despite being LESS sexualized and pandering).

Lets not forget that Cindy tends to get brought up by some gaf members just as a sort of "gut punch" whenever something good happens just to shit on people's parades. "there's a good thing happening in a trailer, the game is improving all most fronts, and people are happy; better talk about how shitty Cindy is and spew doom and gloom)

I don't like Cindy's outfit either. I'd rather she wear something more fitting to her job as mechanic, honestly. I also don't like this pin-up style cg shot they did. But my GOD its gotten old talking about her.

Dark_castle

FFXIII's Cid is the fucking worst from design and story perspective. The fact that they turned a series staple old/rugged man to a Nomura bishonen pretty boy is a travesty. XV's is good, and faithful to the root.

you must have forgotten FFX Cid...

ff10cid.0.jpg
T8kWfoz.jpg
FFX Cid was bad, but I kinda dislike FFVIII's Cid a tad bit more:

We went from a badass engineer(FFVII) to THAT guy! At least FFXV's Cid looks like he could still get down and dirty as a mechanic(or with technology, if he's the one that turns the Regalia into an airship). Also, being an old guy(sure, more modern dressed, but this is FF world set in a modern era) reminds me of the older Cids, like FFIV's, FFV's and FFVI's Cids. Hell, he was one of Regis's bros on the road, fought along side him. Dude was probably cool in his younger days.

Ran rp

Lets not forget that Cindy tends to get brought up by some gaf members just as a sort of "gut punch" whenever something good happens just to shit on people's parades. "there's a good thing happening in a trailer, the game is improving all most fronts, and people are happy; better talk about how shitty Cindy is and spew doom and gloom)

what the hell are you talking about

Mailbox

PSY・S;221811107 said:
what the hell are you talking about

There's been a few times in a couple of FF15 thread where people talk about something like a new trailer or gameplay footage and suddenly someone brings up the same old complaints about Cindy and derail the ongoing conversations of the thread. That comment is just refering to the times where something interesting happens and someone goes "but what about how shitty Cindy is" and the thread derails into being about that. I'm not saying its unfounded, not saying i don't even agree, its just gotten boring.

You've been in those thread.

I think his point is that the vitrol pointed to Cindy has gotten boring and annoying. None of us really think her outfit fits, but when you see the same comments over and over again, it becomes boring.
And reading the same comments of "love it" and "HYPE TRAIN" doesn't get any less boring?

Please. This thread was literally only made for renders. The fact that they put her in a new provocative, shitty and dumb pose means it's all fair game again.
And your point rings rather hollow considering that Quite, an objectively worse character, hasn't gotten nearly as much shit and has basically been forgotten into the ether (though to be fair, quite DID get lots of shit. My point is that Cindy seems to be getting more shit for despite being LESS sexualized and pandering).
Quiet has been forgotten because the game has been released and because Konami has basically ceased work as a traditional console game developer.

I don't think this is true at all? Maybe it just feels this way to you because we don't get new MGSV threads like "super hot Quiet render" and "50 minutes MGSV gameplay featuring Quiet dancing in the rain" per week. She is still the go-to example of shitty female representation in games.

I don't like Cindy's outfit either. I'd rather she wear something more fitting to her job as mechanic, honestly. I also don't like this pin-up style cg shot they did. But my GOD its gotten old talking about her.

What are you talking about? Good things will incite positive reactions just like shitty things would incite negative reactions. Look at the moogle and Omen thread; is anybody talking about Cindy there?

And like, the game is improving at most fronts except the one I care about the most, and somehow I can't air my grievances? Is there a list of things that should and shouldn't be relevant to gamers?

I can see why some people have issue with Cindy's outfit, but I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like it. It works within Final Fantasy's hyper stylized, super model fashion, cosplay type of world.

Korigama

FFXIII's Cid is the fucking worst from design and story perspective. The fact that they turned a series staple old/rugged man to a Nomura bishonen pretty boy is a travesty. XV's is good, and faithful to the root.
XIII Cid's design was the least of his problems. No question about how badly they botched things with him in the story.
FFX Cid was bad, but I kinda dislike FFVIII's Cid a tad bit more:

We went from a badass engineer(FFVII) to THAT guy! At least FFXV's Cid looks like he could still get down and dirty as a mechanic(or with technology, if he's the one that turns the Regalia into an airship). Also, being an old guy(sure, more modern dressed, but this is FF world set in a modern era) reminds me of the older Cids, like FFIV's, FFV's and FFVI's Cids. Hell, he was one of Regis's bros on the road, fought along side him. Dude was probably cool in his younger days.
VIII Cid was pretty much Robin Williams, so no complaints from me.

Gattsu25

Banned
Outside of the pope (because ceremonial outfits are always weird looking) all these outfits look abysmal.

Beard rendering looking good, though.

Mailbox

And reading the same comments of "love it" and "HYPE TRAIN" doesn't get any less boring?

Please. This thread was literally only made for renders. The fact that they put her in a new provocative, shitty and dumb pose means it's all fair game again.

Quiet has been forgotten because the game has been released and because Konami has basically ceased work as a traditional console game developer.

I don't think this is true at all? Maybe it just feels this way to you because we don't get new MGSV threads like "super hot Quiet render" and "50 minutes MGSV gameplay featuring Quiet dancing in the rain" per week. She is still the go-to example of shitty female representation in games.

What are you talking about? Good things will incite positive reactions just like shitty things would incite negative reactions. Look at the moogle and Omen thread; is anybody talking about Cindy there?

And like, the game is improving at most fronts except the one I care about the most, and somehow I can't air my grievances? Is there a list of things that should and shouldn't be relevant to gamers?

Sure I fully get (and agree to varying extents) with you guys. Totally.
I guess my point was more about a select few member who were pretty much only ever negative about the game (which is fine, that's an opinion, whatever) and were constantly using Cindy to fuel that ad nauseam.

Kinda like how people constantly get on Ishida's back about being far too hyped on the game, but reverse

(Once again, just so its clear, I don't like her outfit either and wish it was different. I really don't like it either, it doesn't fit)

.JayZii

Banned
They really nailed the posture and way an old man carries himself with Cid in this game. I think it's cool. Certainly more interesting than the "sexy bodybuilder with gray hair and maybe frown/laugh lines" version of elderly that a lot of video games seem to end up doing.

Cidney's design would be fine if they would have either given her pants or zipped up her jacket. It's just too much as it is.

LordKasual

Banned
Sure I fully get (and agree to varying extents) with you guys. Totally.
I guess my point was more about a select few member who were pretty much only ever negative about the game (which is fine) and were constantly using Cindy to fuel that ad nauseam.

Kinda like how people constantly get on Ishida's back about being far too hyped on the game, but reverse

(Once again, just so its clear, I don't like her outfit either and wish it was different. I really don't like it either, it doesn't fit)

I mean yeah, look, the design is bad, but get over it FFS. She isn't the worst thing ever, and outfit aside she's still a really warm character.

Yes she would be 10x more warm and wonderful if she was dressed like an actual mechanic instead of a in-game booth girl, but, again, get over it.

Besides, you can't knock the Hammerhead's business tactics. Cid isn't the reason the guys are hooked to the hammerhead....it's his granddaughter!

I mean yeah, look, the design is bad, but get over it FFS. She isn't the worst thing ever, and outfit aside she's still a really warm character.

Yes she would be 10x more warm and wonderful if she was dressed like an actual mechanic instead of a in-game booth girl, but, again, get over it.
Nah, I'm good.

Thanks anyways.
He loves to repeat that man

sc8lirU.jpg
Some of those seem like a stretch to compare. Some are pretty funny though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

That's a bit harsh.

Telling people to get over their opinions on sexually charged designs is kinda sad. There's nothing wrong with anything they said and you're trying to deflect by saying they're a "warm" character as if that's justification.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Telling people to get over their opinions on sexually charged designs is kinda sad. There's nothing wrong with anything they said and you're trying to deflect by saying they're a "warm" character as if that's justification.

Yeah, I mean people are allowed to dislike it. It's called opinions and when you have a game like this one with questionable female characters as it is, the concern is certainly justified.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ravus' purple gauntlet is the coolest thing ever

Mifec

Cor is fine and then I look at the boots and just laugh at how horrible they fit on the rest of his attire.

My guess is that she's one of the few important female characters in the game and while she's supposed to be a mechanics she kind of looks more like a stripper. Many high profile Japanese games tend to be very poor on that front (hello quiet from MGSV). I mean if you don't want to read the "whining" then don't go in these threads.

I've been on the fence about getting this game on release, but I'm going to pass. (Preorder cancelled!) I got so tired of how Quiet was handled (and how gross the camera was with her), and I don't feel like having to watch this ridiculousness again.

I might get the game next year, depending on how it looks from Twitch streams, etc. TBH, If we can change Cindy into an outfit that makes any sort of sense, I'd be more likely to get the game and get it sooner.

I've been on the fence about getting this game on release, but I'm going to pass. (Preorder cancelled!) I got so tired of how Quiet was handled (and how gross the camera was with her), and I don't feel like having to watch this ridiculousness again.
I doubt Cindy is going to be as relevant (and in your face) as Quiet.

There's absolutely appropriate times and places for sexy outfits in my book!

... I'm just not convinced the mechanic shop is one, at least in a game about hardships experienced when you're sent on a quest to try and overturn the rule of an oppressive empire that just did a hostile take over of your country. Maybe in something else that's not so concerned about self-seriousness, but basically a stripper outfit at a mechanic shop, and the game isn't lampooning a concept or trying to be sold with a feeling of easy-going, raunchy fun? Eh...

EDIT: I played a lot of MGSV. Got Quiet's soldier fatigues and equipped em as soon as possible. Game is still fun, but I never dropped her original design being highly questionable. I think the same will stand for FFXV for me, except as far as I know, there won't be an option to dress Cindy more job-appropriate. She'll always be wearing a very eye-catching but contextually off-putting stripper outfit. :/

Top Bottom