• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

jarosh

How do I download the new single-player levels? (I don't want coin rush stuff.)

I spent like 5 minutes last night looking everywhere inside the game itself, doing searches in the eShop, and so on. I just couldn't find the levels. I found the full game ($40), I found downloadable MOVIES of the new stages. But I couldn't find the actual levels. Any help?

There's *only* coin rush stuff. All the DLC is coin rush levels.

Finished it today.

This is as "bad" as a Mario game can be. Nothing new, exciting, fresh or innovative. By the numbers. Standard. Kinda dull.

Unlike 3D Land which I couldn't wait to 100%, here I have no desire to go back to the game in any capacity. Real shame.

New Super Mario Bros. U needs to be really special to get me back on the NSMB bandwagon.

Nintendo if you not going to put any effort into your stories please let me skip the cutscenes. Otherwise, I'm enjoying it so far, picked in up a Target earlier tonight. Just beat the first warp cannon, which was awesome, I hope there are more than two. Maybe even an endless one?

Neiteio

Well, downloaded this game having never really liked a NSMB title before but having liked what I played at a demo kiosk in a store, and... It's surprisingly great! A question, though: I've gotten three coins in each of the levels up through the fortress in World 1 so far, yet it says I only have seven star coins?? Should I have 12 since I found three stars coins in each of the first four levels?

Javier

Well, downloaded this game having never really liked a NSMB title before but having liked what I played at a demo kiosk in a store, and... It's surprisingly great! A question, though: I've gotten three coins in each of the levels up through the fortress in World 1 so far, yet it says I only have seven star coins?? Should I have 12 since I found three stars coins in each of the first four levels?
Definitely sounds that you opened a gate along the way, which costs 5 Star Coins each.

I just got to the first mini castle. This is certainly a Mario game if nothing else.
It's easy to take for granted since they repeat enemies and environments from previous games, but I'm of the opinion that the controls and level design are a step forward for the NSMB series, and coin rush mode really underscores the fact. Too bad Nintendo recycled the same old themes, because with a different coat of paint I think people would be a lot more receptive to the great underlying design.

Neiteio

It's easy to take for granted since they repeat enemies and environments from previous games, but I'm of the opinion that the controls and level design are a step forward for the NSMB series, and coin rush mode really underscores the fact. Too bad Nintendo recycled the same old themes, because with a different coat of paint I think people would be a lot more receptive to the great underlying design.
Yeah, I've only completed the first world so far, but man, the controls are really punchy and responsive in NSMB2 -- it's great! The momentum, the air control, it all seems much closer to how I remember the NES/SNES games. And the level design is quite intricate; the whole score attack element with the coins gave the devs lots of opportunities to add extra nooks and crannies to uncover. :)

Neiteio

This game... I'm only halfway through World 2, but I'm still amazed how great this game is. Had no idea.

A couple questions:

+ Where is the second Star Coin in the pyramid level in World 2, the one after the Ghost House (I think)?

+ How much do the expansion packs cost in the U.S.?

This game... I'm only halfway through World 2, but I'm still amazed how great this game is. Had no idea.

A couple questions:

+ Where is the second Star Coin in the pyramid level in World 2, the one after the Ghost House (I think)?

+ How much do the expansion packs cost in the U.S.?

DLC packs are $2.50 each (plus tax)

No idea about the 2nd Star Coin

Javier

Oh, that one is a huge troll. You have to go down the pipe to the room with the respawning Goombas.

One of the floor tiles is fake.

New DLC pack just arrived and it's free! "Gold Classics pack," features classic levels from SMB 1,3 and SMB1-Bowser's castle remade and remixed for coin rush mode, free until January 31st, sweet. Just got it and it's great so far.

Chrom

how do you download dlc for this game??? I see no option in the game and I searched the horrible shop to only find videos

If you enabled SpotPass for the game, you're supposed to receive a SpotPass notification on your Home Menu that enables the in-game shop to appear, which is where you purchase and download the DLC, not the Nintendo eShop. If you don't have the notification yet, you may need to wait it out until you get it. Only until then will you be able to get the DLC.

Sanic

I was able to get this for $20 new the other day, so I bought it even though I have NSMBU to finish.

Why are the controls in this so much more responsive? It's obviously a design decision, but I wish we had this kind of quick turning and air precision in the Wii and Wii U games.

Javier

I hadn't gotten the Notification for the last DLC, but I went into the Shop in the game anyway and it asked me to update, which I did and I got the option to download the new free maps. I played for a while and after I left my 3DS charging for a couple of hours I ended up getting the Notification.

clear31

If you enabled SpotPass for the game, you're supposed to receive a SpotPass notification on your Home Menu that enables the in-game shop to appear, which is where you purchase and download the DLC, not the Nintendo eShop. If you don't have the notification yet, you may need to wait it out until you get it. Only until then will you be able to get the DLC.

oh okay, thanks

yeah, I just started the game, so I guess I have to wait it out

Is this good?
Just got this and fuck yes. Coin rush alone is worth the price of admission. I was one of those people who had 2D Mario Fatigue so to speak, but NSMBU's unexpected awesomeness restored my faith and made me buy this yesterday and I am hooked on Coin Rush.

Just got this and 3d land as early Christmas presents.I've beaten the initial single player and am now trying to get all the star coins and finding the secret exits. For the life of me I can't find the secret path to the cannon in World 1. I found World 3's pretty easily too.

Looks like I have to check out Coin Rush ASAP.

BowieZ

Banned
Just got this and fuck yes. Coin rush alone is worth the price of admission. I was one of those people who had 2D Mario Fatigue so to speak, but NSMBU's unexpected awesomeness restored my faith and made me buy this yesterday and I am hooked on Coin Rush.

I can understand 2D Mario fatigue (or as it applies to me, less palpable excitement at the thought of a brand new one since the games challenge me less and less), but can I ask how was your faith restored any more or less before NSMB2?

I mean, NSMB DS was a revelation at the time (now pooh-poohed in comparison to NSMB Wii), and NSMB Wii is the greatest Mario game of all time (IMHO/opinions!) or at least you've got to think it pretty close (the level design, the graphics, the powerups, the secrets, the Koopalings, etc; it's so tightly and cleverly structured from start to finish overflowing with creative new elements).

I guess you didn't think either of those games were that good?

I can understand 2D Mario fatigue (or as it applies to me, less palpable excitement at the thought of a brand new one since the games challenge me less and less), but can I ask how was your faith restored any more or less before NSMB2?

I mean, NSMB DS was a revelation at the time (now pooh-poohed in comparison to NSMB Wii), and NSMB Wii is the greatest Mario game of all time (IMHO/opinions!) or at least you've got to think it pretty close (the level design, the graphics, the powerups, the secrets, the Koopalings, etc; it's so tightly and cleverly structured from start to finish overflowing with creative new elements).

I guess you didn't think either of those games were that good?
NSMB DS was far from a revelation. Imo it has the weakest controls, new power ups, and level design of any 2D Mario. NSMB Wii was a marked improvement on just about every front, but NSMB 2 is the first one that felt natural to me, particularly in regards to the controls and overall variety of the level design (i.e. a better blend of horizontal and vertical scrolling, especially within the course of a single stage.) It's frustrating that people write it off as a mere expansion pack, or worse yet a fan hack, referencing the fact that it was made by a newer team. I personally suspect the development shake up may have something to do with why it feels more vital and left stiffly mannered. I even prefer it to NSMB U, although I haven't completed that one yet, so we'll see if that opinion holds. Regardless, I feel it's vastly superior to NSMB DS, and to a lesser degree NSMB Wii. Even if the main game wasn't as strong as it is, coin rush would still be the best addition in nearly two decades.

NSMB DS was far from a revelation. Imo it has the weakest controls, new power ups, and level design of any 2D Mario. NSMB Wii was a marked improvement on just about every front, but NSMB 2 is the first one that felt natural to me, particularly in regards to the controls and overall variety of the level design (i.e. a better blend of horizontal and vertical scrolling, especially within the course of a single stage.) It's frustrating that people write it off as a mere expansion pack, or worse yet a fan hack, referencing the fact that it was made by a newer team. I personally suspect the development shake up may have something to do with why it feels more vital and left stiffly mannered. I even prefer it to NSMB U, although I haven't completed that one yet, so we'll see if that opinion holds. Regardless, I feel it's vastly superior to NSMB DS, and to a lesser degree NSMB Wii. Even if the main game wasn't as strong as it is, coin rush would still be the best addition in nearly two decades.

Yep, pretty much this. I didn't get into NSMBW for the longest time because of how blah and forgettable NSMB DS was, loving NSMB2 do much more.

Just tried out Coin Rush, I do have to say it's fun, I was actually able to find some of the secret exits in the Mushroom world thanks to Coin Rush of all things.

Banned
I'm late to the party with this, but i'm enjoying it as my expectations were on the side of just wanting to play more NSMB from the DS era, which this gives. There's enough good levels to make it good fun to play, and it nice to have as a DD so it just sits in my DS.

Haven't really gotten into Coin Rush yet though, I guess that part of my nature isn't too competitive.

mrkgoo

I just bought this on clearance (over 50% off at NZ$40, around US$32).

At the time I felt it wasn't being inventive enough and had a big fill of Mario with 3D land.

The other day i tried the demo of NSMB WiiU and it made me miss some old 2D Mario, so when I saw this on special, I lapped it up.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It's more open and less left-right than NSMB on DS, which was a new take on Mario 1, so I feel this is more like a new take on Mario 4 (world).

The coin gimmick is actually nice, making me want to gather up those coins.

I know a lot of people seemed a bit down on this for being too 'mario', but having had a bit of a break from Mario, this feels great!

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Am I the only one that thinks this game looks amazing? With the 3d on stuff looks awesome!!

Sure it's same old same old but fuck if I don't love mario games.

Maybe I'm part of the problem.

Fake edit: my only complaint is the soundtrack.

PowderedToast

yo guys

a q. regarding the final world

it says i need 90 star coins, is that a full 90 on the counter disregarding coins that have been spent? i wouldn't have wasted so many coins if i knew... : (

also this game is wonderful

had 2 lock ups in the last couple of days while trying to get all the star coins... IT'S SO ANNOYING!!! The game should save after each stage :'(

zoukka

Finished this just now and man the end game was a big disappointment. Star world levels were just normal levels in terms of difficulty and had only 1 star coin that was "hard" to find. Wtf? Am I missing another hidden world or something? Also no reward for finding all star coins... I feel cheated D:

Bowser was kinda lame and easy too.

So, my Mario itch is well... itching. This should fit the bill quite nicely right?
It's not going to blow you away visually or presentation-wise obviously, but after the first couple of worlds I was pleasantly surprised with NSMB2's level design. Plus it has tighter controls than the previous games have, and while your mileage may vary I personally find the coin rush modes really fun to try and perfect.

I definitely preferred 3DLand overall, but this game has more longevity and is reasonably more difficult. Depends on what you're looking for really.

Tom_Cody

I'm only now getting around to playing this as I had choosen NSMBU as my 2D platformer to play in 2012. And then 2013 was a heavy year for 3DS releases.

Anyway, I am loving this. I greatly enjoy that this and NSMBU have distinct and seperate identities. I was worried that it was going to feel like too much of the same and it really doesn't. In some ways my time with this has made me appreciate both games more.

I just finished world 6 last night. I deliberately aimed to "win" as early as possible and not get bogged down trying to 100% every world on the way. I now have plenty of content left to play through over the next few weeks.

Question to anyone who might wander back into this ghost town: What sort of gameplay progressions did you make through the game and at what point did you start to focus on Coin Rush? As far as I can tell the game is designed for you to 100% the main game and then spend time playing through and replaying coin rush. Is this correct, or does the game give you further incentive to revisit the main game? It looks like Street Pass is focused on Coin Rush only.

Tom_Cody

Woohoo! I just spent a ton of lives trying to do W-Flower-Cannon as normal small Mario and I just did it and got all the red coins! Now I have a gold flower stored that I can use wherever I want!
I am working on this right now.

Somehow I didn't realize the brilliance of the cannon levels at first. I have gone through and gotten all of the other red coins in all of the other cannon levels but this one remains. This feels like 5 NSLU levels rolled into one. So many precise jumps!

After this I have one W-Star level left and then I will move on to coin rush and the DLC.

Tom_Cody

I guess this thread has become a personal blog. Oh well.
-

I have 100%ed the main mode and I have completely moved onto Coin Rush. Somehow this hadn't quite clicked for me previously but I am loving it now. Also, it really works perfectly with street pass.

My first reaction to Coin Rush (and the coin concept in this game in general) was "I don't want to spend hours scraping through every level to get a maximum coin count". I was happy to learn that Coin Rush does not play out this way at all. It's all about figuring out where all the major coin wells are in each level and then executing a path that will get you ~80% of the coins in the level and then get you to the end of the level with enough time to ensure that you can nail the top of the flagpole to double your coin total. It's also about not dying. I have become used to 3-figure extra life reserves in these New Super Mario Bros. games, so it's nice to be confronted with a challenge with actual teeth. By stringing three levels together at once, there are real stakes by the time you get to the final level- you absolutely do not want to die and then have to re-do everything. Still though, I never mind too much when I die because I always know that I can improve on my coin haul the next time around. I also love that you get to keep your coins from failed attempts so it doesn't feel like the effort is wasted. And that you additionally get to claim your opponent's record coin number if you win.

On that note, I love how Steet Pass is integrated with this mode. When I first moved over to Coin Rush and the DLC content I didn't know exactly where to start. Having Street Pass records to beat gives the mode some sense of structure. I get a lot of Street Passes for this game and it has been great fun to work my way through all of the records. So far I have mostly stuck to the Mushroom courses but I am looking forward to working my way up.

Top Bottom