• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

jy6FUxUDtplJ0.PNG

jbnKa7sFCUgvPr.PNG

Genre – COINS!
Side-scrolling platformer
Platform - Nintendo 3DS
Release Date - August 19th, 2012 [North America]. August 17th, 2012 [Europe]
Availability – $39.99 (retail/eShop download)
Players – Single player and local multiplayer
Developed by Nintendo EAD (Software Development Group No. 4)
Published by Nintendo
Story:
“Trouble always seems to find its way to the Mushroom Kingdom! Just as Mario™ and Luigi™ go off on a coin hunt in the sky, their beloved Princess Peach™ is kidnapped by the dastardly Koopalings. The brothers have to venture through over 80 stages to rescue her, grabbing an endless deluge coins across land, water, air, and snow along the way.”

jbcJMShEK7MryQ.PNG

- Collect 1 Million coins! Every time you complete a level, the amount of coins you collect is stored and increases over time as you progress through the game. Your task is made easier by several new power-ups and Gold Rings, which turn everything into gold coins!
- Several features like the beloved, classic Racoon Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3 and the Reznors from Super Mario World return in this game! Experience them like never before in this new entry of the series.
- Featuring the all-new Coin Rush mode, the player must race through three random courses without losing dying while trying to collect as many coins as possible.
- This game will be the first in the series to feature paid DLC for the Nintendo eShop, all developed post-release, in the form of new Coin Rush levels!

jqIEUApRZO3YC.PNG

jbptaikpS9aS9i.PNG
Racoon Mario
jpCgMyemn5SH3_e.jpg
White (Invincible) Racoon Mario
jbsa2bpjX0nxHV_e.jpg
Gold Mario
j6DbRdrtMf2i5_e.jpg
Gold Block Mario
jVplquCgZWelA_e.jpg
Fire Mario
j0FEWZOeTueeX_e.jpg
Tiny Mario
j1uEOYsqNMIZy.png
Mega Mario

jbmsDHybqt1pEI_e.jpg

jvdPCyOrwkEXC_e.jpg

jcB3ubq7VEUOd_e.jpg
jtf6lB61igWCC_e.jpg
jSw95HyhsIRkf_e.jpg
jO1yN81llHAbr_e.jpg
jbd3SZ35Kza8F7_e.jpg
jbhLA2AIFBxyY7_e.jpg

jbucrKUWQHxgc4_e.jpg

Videogameszone.de: 91
Nintendo Life: 9
ONM UK: 9
Eurogamer Spain: 9
IGN: 8.5
NWR: 8.5
Vandal Online: 83
Vooks: 8
GameTrailers: 8
Cubed3: 8
Nintendo Gamer: 8
Guardian: 8
3DJuegos: 8
Meristation: 8
Gamexplain: 8
Metro GameCentral: 7
GamesRadar: 7
Joystiq: 7
games(TM): 7
Gamereactor Sweden: 7
Destructoid: 7
Gamespot: 7
---
Metacritic: 78 (Generally favorable reviews)

Taken from Nirolak's thread

jLRKeSwTnpe58.PNG

NoA site
NoJ site
Iwata Asks
Review thread
Level variety "discussion"
Japanese OT

$40 dollars on the eshop. Damn that's a lot of coins.
Heh. Seriously though, I'm displeased by the eShop price. I thought they would want to incentive people to buy it digitally with something else than Club Nintendo coins.

Can't we just use this one?
Other OT.
Hmm... I thought that one was more Japanese-release related and another one was required for the North American/European release. I think it would be best to wait for what a moderator has to say.

The Reznors are from Super Mario World.
Didn't even include the European date of August 17th? You make me sad.
Fixed! I mixed up the references and forgot to include the European date. You lucky bastards; you get it earlier and with the fancy box :(

Not as excited about this since Mario 3D Land just came out to satiate my hunger, but I'll still buy it and enjoy it nonetheless. I just wish Nintendo would space out the main Mario games by two years or more.

Tuck

I don't disagree with paying $40 for a 2D platformer. But this game doesn't look like it brings enough to the table.

But... it is a Mario game.... so I'm sure itll be solid. Decisions... decisions...

Screw the haters, will download and enjoy the shit out of this.

Playing NSMB 5 years ago on my brand new DS Lite is one of my fondest memories this, or any other gen.

GimMick

OT subtitle should have been "ONE MIRRION COINS !!!" :p

Also, the other thread is the japanese OT. The standard OT for US-Euro release cannot be made before the week preceding the release. No need to bash the OP, he followed the rules !

Still don't know whether I get the digital or the retail version, nor if I pick it up at launch. I still have to do NSMBW !

Not really a platform guy. But if to have only 1 Mario game on the 3DS. This or Super Mario Land?
Well, even though I haven't played this game and they're completely different experiences, I'd be more inclined to recommend Super Mario 3D Land. You can't go wrong with that one; it's a really good game!

Several more times fun and interesting than NSMB DS, though.
Great to know! I had pretty good times with the DS entry, I hope I find it as fun as you do.

OT subtitle should have been "ONE MIRRION COINS !!!" :p
Pretty much everything would be better than what I have right now. If anyone likes this suggestion or has another one, don't hesitate to post it. I saw someone recommend "Pimp my mushroom" in another thread but I'm not sure if GAF likes that one.

I saw a gameplay video and I loved how the levels had way more to them than "run left to right" like NSMB DS and Wii.

But seriously, that music. Really kills a lot of it for me. I can't stand it, at all.

I like the subtitle. It's to the point. :p

I'll probably pick this game up eventually, but I only just got the ruddy console so I'm fine for now. Still need to find a copy of 3D Land.

An man, I'm ready. Pump this shit straight into my veins!

I'll getting this with my XL. Haven't decided whether I'm going DD or physical copy yet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Already pre-ordered. I imagine my experience will be much the same as with 3D Land.

1) Buy game on Friday.
2) Complete game on Saturday.
3) Bitch and moan on GAF about how boring it is on Sunday.

In the 23 years since Super Mario Land first released, this is only the sixth fifth handheld Mario title. Isn't that pretty insane?

1989 - Super Mario Land
1992 - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
1994 - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3*
2006 - New Super Mario Bros.
2011 - Super Mario 3D Land
2012 - New Super Mario Bros. 2

*it doesn't count, but I know somebody will say it does so I put it anyway

Top Bottom