• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

jnWake

Interesting that Switch has no major release for November (
Xeno 2 wouldn't count

HOPE LIVES?!

It doesn't, but I still find the lack of a big November game weird

So do I win because nothing was shown

You were all fools to doubt me

More like your the fool since the longer they don't announce a new Smash, the higher the chance I will win this bet:

Let's avatar bet, then.

At launch, if there are less than 8 new characters included (and I'll be generous and let veterans be included in "new"), then I win and you wear an avatar of my choosing for a month. If there are 8 or more new characters (same generosity) included at launch, then you win.

Deal?

>:)

Gonna feel weird for Nintendo to go this long with their switch-based esports brand while Smash is totally MIA. I mean, sure, maybe they're worried about fighter oversaturation, but it feels like Capcom launching an esports league without Street Fighter, or Microsoft without Halo. The only Nintendo franchise with a sizable enough pre-established competitive scene to springboard off that I can think of is mainline Pokemon, and TPC usually does its own thing with that.

obv nintendo isn't gonna greenlight entire game releases based on fleshing out their silly esports league roster, but I feel like that push for all the competitive stuff is gonna be an uphill battle without the ever-reliable pillar of smash holding it up.

Zyrox

Still believing in an enhanced Smash 4 port. Just seems like the perfect solution to me to deliver a Smash game on the Switch in a timely manner while also having significant additions compared to the game on the previous system. Either gonna be shown in the October/Fall direct or the January direct. Mark my words.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We were talking about Smash 4! You won't lawyer your way around this! *shakes fist*

You wouldn't beef out of your way! :p

zG6lyXR.png

There's never been a reference to Metroid II in Smash history (other than some text in a few trophies) and yet we're looking at the next Smash game being almost entirely Metroid II for Metroid representation.

That's kinda cool.

It's also cool that Metroid changes styles every Smash (except Melee). From Super to Zero Mission to Other M and now probably to Samus Returns. I don't think any other series changes game focus as much as Metroid.

And yet the variety in Metroid stages is so poor.

You wouldn't beef out of your way! :p

zG6lyXR.png

That just proves my point! We were talking about Smash 4 on Switch and how Sakurai would add 8 characters. A new game entirely would be outside of the avatar bet entirely, and nobody would win.

I'VE BEATEN ACE ATTORNEY SEVERAL TIMES, I'M QUALIFIED TO RULE ON THIS

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if Prime 4 comes out by the next Smash. Like Reggie said, it's gonna take a while to release, but I don't think it'll be that long.

As far as Metroid II/Samus Returns representation goes, though, I'd love to see the Main Tunnel theme get remixed. I always felt that game had a weak soundtrack, but that was the one standout and I think it'd be a great fit for Smash. Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano are confirmed to be scoring the remake, and I think we'll be seeing some other gems that could also work. (We heard Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns in the Treehouse demo, and that's well-overdue for a Smash appearance)

Oh right

With Prime 4 being Japanese developed it'll probably be the first time the series is ever given proper representation in Smash Bros.

Oh hey, maybe now is the perfect time to add Dark Samus if she's in Prime 4 (she will be).

Oh right

With Prime 4 being Japanese developed it'll probably be the first time the series is ever given proper representation in Smash Bros.

Oh hey, maybe now is the perfect time to add Dark Samus if she's in Prime 4 (she will be).

A lot of people (including Shikamaru Ninja) seem to be thinking that its Next Level Games making the game.

also

nope

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

"The stories of Dark Samus and Phazon are done now," he confirmed, before adding that the series would still focus on other Prime-series elements.

Unless he happened to have a change of heart over the last few years since he said this, I'm pretty Dark Samus is over and done with. Sylux will be the main focus it seems.

So this is pretty interesting: Source Gaming translated some of Sakurai's development notes for balancing Smash 4, and it includes specific notes for Dedede and Shulk.

I'd love to see what the rest of the rosters' notes look like, unlikely as it is.

jnWake

The notes give more meaning to Sakurai's words when he talks about being very hands-on haha. They are pretty specific so I can already imagine him sitting down and just testing everything for hours with each character.

PK Gaming

The notes give more meaning to Sakurai's words when he talks about being very hands-on haha. They are pretty specific so I can already imagine him sitting down and just testing everything for hours with each character.

No kidding

I appreciate the hardwork, but he's likely responsible for launch Smash 4's state of balance. No matter how good or smart you are, you can't tackle balancing on your own

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah. Honestly I blame the internet for shit like "Sakurai is a control freak" or "Sakurai can't stick to a word" or "Sakurai plays favoritism". Whether it's from imageboards, angry Melee fans, or Smashboards, they seem to have this projected idea of him which they then blame even though reality says otherwise.

PK Gaming

Smash for Wii U/ 3DS had a team of people, and the same with Brawl. The team of people gave Sakurai suggestions on how to balance the game.

You can read more here: http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/09/sakurai-on-balance/

Right, but the notes he had on Shulk/DDD seemed incredibly hands on. Notice how he explicitly says "my notes." You almost get this sense that a lot of the changes feel "personal" in the sense that he wanted to personal fix a lot of what went wrong in Brawl. This is complete conjecture on my part (hence why I said likely), but I think he started relying on the balancing team as the game went on.

celebi23

Sorry to bump this topic but, I was wondering what combination of custom fighter equipment would result in an effect of Quick Smasher? I'm trying to replicate this setup for the Takamaru Mii. I can't seem to find a list online that shows what equipment you need for certain Effects.

Ondor

Banned
Hey SmashGaf, I've been lurking for years but decided to join recently. I just wanted to say thanks for being the reason I got into GAF and for keeping me thoroughly entertained in the lead up to Smash 4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hey SmashGaf, I've been lurking for years but decided to join recently. I just wanted to say thanks for being the reason I got into GAF and for keeping me thoroughly entertained in the lead up to Smash 4.

No problem! I hope you would able to take a part of our speculation train for Smash Switch.

Tom_Cody

What are the chances that we get Smash 4 on Switch at this point? I am in the mood to get back into Smash but I would prefer to wait for the Switch version if it's actually likely to come out.

I thought it was a given earlier this year after the success of Mario Kart 8, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What are the chances that we get Smash 4 on Switch at this point? I am in the mood to get back into Smash but I would prefer to wait for the Switch version if it's actually likely to come out.

I thought it was a given earlier this year after the success of Mario Kart 8, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

We know it's coming eventually but we have no idea when they would announce the game so it might be E3 2018 since they usually announce Smash at E3. They could change their patterns if they feel like to.

Also few people actually think we are going to get Smash announcement at Nintendo World 2017 which is a plausible place for Smash Bros announcement. We'll see..

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
oh hey this thread is alive

...and Wolf is still no where to be found :(

And members and fans together clamoring for a home thread and can't able to keep their words to keep this community alive! :p

I meant we could discuss anything related to Smash Bros in general, like Smash 4 mods, etc.

Top Bottom