• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Chopper

14,134 now, getting close!
Amazing. What is your stage/coin breakdown?

I've replayed it 100 times, but can't get more than 883 on the first.

Are you even touching the floor on the second?

Are you getting all big gold coins on the third? Are you taking damage?

Talk us through it!

Dr.Hadji

Chopper you should be hitting 1k+ on that first stage easy. This is even before you find the
Gold Flower
on the stage. I take a pretty normal path and get all the Star Coins. I do butt-stomp threw the brick to get the first two though. Helps speed up the process.

An example
By the first p-switch I have 156
By the second I have 261
Third 337
Fourth 508
Flag Pole 634

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
From the streetpass challenges I got at Eurogamer I have learnt that just getting 2000 coins will beat most scores. You're better off just running through the levels first to see their score rather than trying to get a perfect run first time round.

Dr.Hadji

From the streetpass challenges I got at Eurogamer I have learnt that just getting 2000 coins will beat most scores. You're better off just running through the levels first to see their score rather than trying to get a perfect run first time round.

Yah most people aren't that "good" at Mario games. They may be able to beat them but here's the trick captain, the challenge in Mario games doesn't really come from beating the game anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

90% of the StreetPasses I have are like that, and most of them are Mushroom Cup. I've got a few where people really tried, but no max coins yet.

Anustart

Amazing. What is your stage/coin breakdown?

I've replayed it 100 times, but can't get more than 883 on the first.

Are you even touching the floor on the second?

Are you getting all big gold coins on the third? Are you taking damage?

Talk us through it!

Some guys are beating me on stage 1, as i only get 1600, i don't touch the ground at all on stage two and up just over 6000, all gold coins gotten, stage 3 is hard path, but i have yet to get all the gold coins here.

Edit: where's the gold shroom on stage 1, that could help me!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
90% of the StreetPasses I have are like that, and most of them are Mushroom Cup. I've got a few where people really tried, but no max coins yet.

I don't see the point in posting a max coin challenge. It's more fun to share a set of challenging levels where getting a good 10000+ score is difficult.

Chopper

Chopper you should be hitting 1k+ on that first stage easy. This is even before you find the
Gold Flower
on the stage. I take a pretty normal path and get all the Star Coins. I do butt-stomp threw the brick to get the first two though. Helps speed up the process.

An example
By the first p-switch I have 156
By the second I have 261
Third 337
Fourth 508
Flag Pole 634

Ah no, I am. I meant 883 without the multiplyer. But I was reading people getting over 900, which I can't fathom. I also underestimated how many coins are available on the second stage. I can barely believe it's possible to not touch the floor!

Anustart

Ah no, I am. I meant 883 without the multiplyer. But I was reading people getting over 900, which I can't fathom. I also underestimated how many coins are available on the second stage. I can barely believe it's possible to not touch the floor!

There's one spot where it seems not possible, what ya do is jump into the pit near the end and do two wall jumps, this gets the third coin and keeps your multiplier going!

Anustart

Okay, found that hidden shroom on stage one, and the hidden coins in stage 2. These upped my coins by 400 after stage 2, which equals an extra 800 after the third. Ill have over 15k within an hour and finally pass the goal amount.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. That's a great run. I decided to make my streetpass challenge a flower pack since I saw no love for it at Eurogamer. I skipped a few coins on purpose so that the other person has a chance to beat it, but I made sure not to make it too easy.

Chopper

Okay, found that hidden shroom on stage one, and the hidden coins in stage 2. These upped my coins by 400 after stage 2, which equals an extra 800 after the third. Ill have over 15k within an hour and finally pass the goal amount.
You have got to upload that shit man.

Anustart

You have got to upload that shit man.

Can do, just have to figure out how to best capture with my phone and ill put it up on my YouTube. Expect it in about an hour or so boys!

Finshed a run, didn't quite hit the goal due to a slip on at the end of the bullet bill section, but still a better run than previous, clocking in at 14,500-something. Forget the exact change. I'm editing the video now now and will update this post again if no one posts after me, and show off the run for you guys!ld b

Edit : Video is now uploading, should be ready in about 10 minutes, here's the link for when it's ready!

Nerve Wrack Pack

Well, finally got my Spotpass for the shop today and I still haven't beaten the Streetpass record I have on file, whatever, so random how they did this.

Anyways, only had to add 35 cents to my account, heh heh. Went straight for the Nerve Wrack Pack and I love it so far, that first canyon stage with the switch block run and spinies is still owning me.

Chopper

Amazing. Your run through the second stage is sublime. I think I still need to get the hang of exactly what the hell I'm doing in canon levels. I mean, does holding run actually do anything, or is it all jump timings and pressing left and right?

I'm so close though. I feel like one lucky run will sort me out.

Dr.Hadji

Awesome, especially the first stage.
I genuinely had no idea you could cancel the hip drop/butt slam move until now.

Yup. I've been doing this technique since NSMB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcJNdOlNYVc&feature=player_detailpage#t=205s

There's a small clip of me doing it in NSMBWii.

I forgot to put links to my blog in the video description. I fixed it now, but if anyone wants to know more about Mario's 2D platforming design, go here: http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2009/11/19/the-measure-of-mario-pt1.html

Anustart

Amazing. Your run through the second stage is sublime. I think I still need to get the hang of exactly what the hell I'm doing in canon levels. I mean, does holding run actually do anything, or is it all jump timings and pressing left and right?

I'm so close though. I feel like one lucky run will sort me out.

I don't believe it does anything, but I still hold run and right, just to keep that same 'feeling' of playing a regular level. Makes it easier in my mind because I'm using the same scheme.

braves01

Banned
Managed to get about 7k in Nerve-Wrack, I'm slowly improving. I need to find that gold flower though.

What's everyone's play times btw? I just broke 50 hours.

Boogiepop

Hm, I think I definitely want the third pack after watching the Nintendo Direct, but I wasn't exactly sold on the other two. Any opinions?

Dr.Hadji

Hm, I think I definitely want the third pack after watching the Nintendo Direct, but I wasn't exactly sold on the other two. Any opinions?

Unless you like super easy coin fests, skip the first pack. I got 1million coins without farming and I didn't need help from super easy levels like this. Now... going for 9.9 million, I'll gladly take the help.

Pack 2 and 3 are cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Gold Rush pack would be vastly improved if there was no coin limit. I want to see the true high scores, because almost anyone will be able to max out the score with that pack. But it's still fun to blast through the levels with all the coins.. just a missed opportunity.

Anustart

The Gold Rush pack would be vastly improved if there was no coin limit. I want to see the true high scores, because almost anyone will be able to make out the score with the pack. Because it's still fun to blast through the levels with all the coins.. just a missed opportunity.

Indeed. That's why i only picked up the nerve wrack and coin challenge packs. Getting an easy 30k max is pointless compared to these other 2 packs.

Dr.Hadji

The Gold Rush pack would be vastly improved if there was no coin limit. I want to see the true high scores, because almost anyone will be able to max out the score with that pack. But it's still fun to blast through the levels with all the coins.. just a missed opportunity.

Not really. I'm not sure what you mean by "true high score." The true high score is 30k. That's it. Who cares if anyone can reach it. That's the entire point of the pack. It's a 1 star difficulty. In terms of design space, it fills that role well and it's clearly supposed to.

If you want to start bending the design around for some oddly defined "true score" then why not take out the short time limits on coin rush. More time = more coins = higher score right? The obvious answer is doing this would make the gameplay of coin rush worse. The time limit puts a good pressure on the challenge that prevents players from leisurely taking their time, combing the level, and getting every coin. With less time players have to hit their marks and cut their losses.

Working within rules and constraints is what gameplay is all about. Imagining "what ifs" as far as bending the rules is something neat to do for dreamers, not players.

Sagitario

Dr.Hadji, that first level of your 30000 coin run... WOW! O_O
It's amazing! How do you cancel the stomp (or do the stomp repeatedly)?

Is there any way to choose what level to play on Coin Rush? I hate the randomness and I want to play specific levels.

For someone who doesn't care about high scores or getting the most coins: is the DLC worth it?

Anustart

Is there any way to choose what level to play on Coin Rush? I hate the randomness and I want to play specific levels.

For someone who doesn't care about high scores or getting the most coins: is the DLC worth it?

Don't believe so, except for the add on content, which is amazing since competing is actually worth it now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ugh. Seems I've found my fist 30k streetpass challenge (actually it's 29something but close enough). Realised it the moment I saw the first two levels.

Suppose it makes up for the 900 coin challenge I did earlier. Guy obviously had no idea of the 2x multiplier.

Dr.Hadji

Hit down. Hit up. Repeat.

Don't hit up too fast or it wont register. You can hit down as soon as Mario straightens back out.

Pro tip. If you are Raccoon Mario you can hold RUN button so that right after you cancel the but stomp, you do a hover. This gives you even more time to react and lets you fall sooo slowly through the air.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not really. I'm not sure what you mean by "true high score." The true high score is 30k. That's it. Who cares if anyone can reach it. That's the entire point of the pack. It's a 1 star difficulty. In terms of design space, it fills that role well and it's clearly supposed to.

If you want to start bending the design around for some oddly defined "true score" then why not take out the short time limits on coin rush. More time = more coins = higher score right? The obvious answer is doing this would make the gameplay of coin rush worse. The time limit puts a good pressure on the challenge that prevents players from leisurely taking their time, combing the level, and getting every coin. With less time players have to hit their marks and cut their losses.

Working within rules and constraints is what gameplay is all about. Imagining "what ifs" as far as bending the rules is something neat to do for dreamers, not players.

How is removing the coin limit bending the design? You have the time limit, and you make the pack actually worth playing for competitive reasons. lol, you seem offedned.

Alright, I just got 7990-ish coins on Nerve-Wrack and thought I was a boss (took me probably 5 hours). WTF is going on in this thread?

How do you have 1000 coins before the flag in the first course? I'm consistently between 590-610. There's a gold flower? How would that even help on this stage?

You can cross stage 2 without touching the ground? I... maybe? What?

Eff the upper canon stage.

Anustart

Alright, I just got 7990-ish coins on Nerve-Wrack and thought I was a boss (took me probably 5 hours). WTF is going on in this thread?

How do you have 1000 coins before the flag in the first course? I'm consistently between 590-610. There's a gold flower? How would that even help on this stage?

You can cross stage 2 without touching the ground? I... maybe? What?

Eff the upper canon stage.

I dunno if anyone has 1000 before the pole, maybe i guess, but most i get before the pole is 930. If you watch my vid, if you haven't already, it should give ya some help!

Edit: and on that note, goal amount for nerve wrack pack clear! 15,218! Not only were the stages kinda tough, but that goal amount is devilish in what's required to get if.

I could have had another 800 coins or so, but i went a bit easy on the upper path bullet bills. Im normally on the bottom row to maximize bounces, but this time i just wanted to ensure that 15,000.

2nd Edit: I'm on fire this morning! Two tries later and i managed to score [bold]15,522![/bold] I firmly believe mid 16k, with a possible 17ish to be attainable.

But for now I'm going to be playing pack 2 now, at least until a fellow gaffer beats my nwp risk!

Bros, come at me!

BowieZ

Banned
Pack 3 lvl1 is key, as that score alone is (of course) doubled and then quadrupled.

you should all be attempting to master that and post scores/videos.

Anustart

Pack 3 lvl1 is key, as that score alone is (of course) doubled and then quadrupled.

you should all be attempting to master that and post scores/videos.

Indeed. I end up with 1800+ on the first nerve wrack level, which means 7200 there alone.

Dr.Hadji

How is removing the coin limit bending the design? You have the time limit, and you make the pack actually worth playing for competitive reasons. lol, you seem offedned.

Bend the design = changing the rules that already exist to achieve a result instead of working within the rules and actually designing a way to get to the same result. If you're going to start down that path of simply changing things, then you can make anything anything or fix/break anything.

1) The gold pack gives you coins TOO easily. That's the whole point of the pack. It's a 1 star challenge. It follows the same rules as the rest of the coin packs. This is consistent and good.

2) Trying to make a 1 star challenge competitive is a contradictory design path. These are two competing design philosophies and trying to make them work will ultimately result in a mush of design. It's much better to design a pack for leaderboards/competitive play (e.g. pack 2) and still work within the limitations of 30k coin max. This is also a very Miyamoto way of designing games.

(side note, Sakurai, on the other hand, loves to bend the hidden factors/numbers of gameplay challenges behind the scenes. The difficulty slider in Kid Icarus Uprising is a perfect example. Everything you slide it, a number of variables change which is hard to understand/keep track of thus making two different play sessions of two different difficulty levels hard to compare.

3) Amateur designers make mistakes like this all the time. It's what gives indie games "that indie feel" which I've written about extensively.

http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2010/12/30/about-that-indie-feel-pt1.html
http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2010/12/31/about-that-indie-feel-pt2.html
http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2011/1/1/about-that-indie-feel-pt3.html
http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2011/1/8/about-that-indie-feel-pt4.html
http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2012/6/6/about-that-indie-feel-pt5.html

daakusedo

Awesome runs posted on this page.
For the nerve wrack pack, I have still to clear perfectly the last stage but no touching ground in the second was already a great feeling.
Also, I think too 30000 coins limit should be upped.
Like I saw on a lot of runs, when the player is sure to get to 30000, the run just become lazy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bend the design = changing the rules that already exist to achieve a result instead of working within the rules and actually designing a way to get to the same result. If you're going to start down that path of simply changing things, then you can make anything anything or fix/break anything.

1) The gold pack gives you coins TOO easily. That's the whole point of the pack. It's a 1 star challenge. It follows the same rules as the rest of the coin packs. This is consistent and good.

2) Trying to make a 1 star challenge competitive is a contradictory design path. These are two competing design philosophies and trying to make them work will ultimately result in a mush of design. It's much better to design a pack for leaderboards/competitive play (e.g. pack 2) and still work within the limitations of 30k coin max. This is also a very Miyamoto way of designing games.

(side note, Sakurai, on the other hand, loves to bend the hidden factors/numbers of gameplay challenges behind the scenes. The difficulty slider in Kid Icarus Uprising is a perfect example. Everything you slide it, a number of variables change which is hard to understand/keep track of thus making two different play sessions of two different difficulty levels hard to compare.

3) Amateur designers make mistakes like this all the time. It's what gives indie games "that indie feel" which I've written about extensively.

I don't agree with the design philosophy at all. The limit should be removed for all Coin Rush stages, not just this pack. The easy stage would be enjoyed by people with less skill, that appreciate the instant gratification of collecting coins so easily, and people with vastly more skill (and time on their hands..) could compete for a true high score. The cap does nothing to improve the level, and only serves to limit it to one subset of players.

You can make a game, or stage, appealing to multiple types of players. I still don't understand why you think it is 'contradictory design' to open up the scoring rather than capping it. You design the level with the recommended '30,000' coins, so casual players can shoot for something, but leave it open for more. Easy to learn, hard to master. There's no reason the easiest pack in the game couldn't be like this.

But your "Imagining "what ifs" as far as bending the rules is something neat to do for dreamers, not players." is hilarious and will provide my friends and myself many laughs.

braves01

Banned

I also disagree with you. People are able to get over 30k coins following all the rules of design with respect to timers, coins incorporated into the level, and the multiplier at the flagpole. No one is calling for a change to that design. The issue is why scores are rounded down to 30k, which is a bizarrely arbitrary cap that is easily surpassed. Maybe if they set the cap to 50k or something less easily reached people wouldn't have such an issue with it. If anything, the design flaw/contradiction is that Nintendo set a low cap yet included those flag pole multipliers that enable such high scores.

Dr.Hadji

I don't agree with the design philosophy at all. The limit should be removed for all Coin Rush stages, not just this pack. The easy stage would be enjoyed by people with less skill, that appreciate the instant gratification of collecting coins so easily, and people with vastly more skill (and time on their hands..) could compete for a true high score. The cap does nothing to improve the level, and only serves to limit it to one subset of players.

You can make a game, or stage, appealing to multiple types of players. I still don't understand why you think it is 'contradictory design' to open up the scoring rather than capping it. You design the level with the recommended '30,000' coins, so casual players can shoot for something, but leave it open for more. Easy to learn, hard to master. There's no reason the easiest pack in the game couldn't be like this.

But your "Imagining "what ifs" as far as bending the rules is something neat to do for dreamers, not players." is hilarious and will provide my friends and myself many laughs.

You think it's so simple right? Just raise the cap? Just raise the time limit. Everything else will be fine right? But it's not so simple.

You talk about competitive play like it's this simple blanket attitude you can apply to anything. But there are many ways to foster a competitive spirit for a game. The more you understand the style you're going for (or the style others go for) the easier it is to see how the philosophy affects the rest of the design.

Coin Rush is a great mode. But it's secondary to the main game. So really, it's building on the design we already understand about Mario (I only assume you understand). If not... read up... http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2009/11/19/the-measure-of-mario-pt1.html

Mario, with its very well tuned, layered, skill-based gameplay works best with repetition. All the possibilities and emergent happenings are revealed the more you play and play through the levels. Coin Rush is a brilliant way of encourage people to play through again who might otherwise have beaten the game once and put the game away.

Coin Rush helps players focus on what's great about Mario's design which is its layered level design as you precisely platform through it. So the low time limit helps move players along. Similarly, the coin cap is designed to be high enough to strive for in most level combinations, but not so high that you can blow the "get 1 million coins" goal out of the water. This overall game goal is more important to the integrity of NSMB2 than a higher cap or no cap to the coin rush levels. The bottom line is the levels were tweaked for coin rush, but not designed for it from the bottom up (at least initially).

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/3

So with the focus on what Mario has done the best since the 80s, coin rush was born out of these design goals. The cap gives us a nice mark to aim for, but the point is to enjoy the level design and play through the stages repeatedly in random combinations.

Just because you can imagine what the game would be like without the cap doesn't mean that it would be better overall. Nintendo obviously weighed out the gain in competitive score chasing with what they'd lose in terms of the core Mario design/gameplay. And what we have now isn't necessarily less competitive. It's just different. If you want to prove your skill, then 30,000 ever level pack or at least beat every single other score out there. If you want to be the best of the best, then record your videos and do the math on your own scores. Obviously, Nintendo designed Coin Rush to encourage re-play and grabbing coins, which is why the street pass sharing is the only way to share your scores in the game. I'm not even sure how extensive the leader board is for the coin rush DLC pack 2.

Laugh it up if you want. I just gave a talk at a Game Design Conference basically explaining why many who think they're game designers are really just pitiful dreamers. Do your own gut check if you want.

I also disagree with you. People are able to get over 30k coins following all the rules of design with respect to timers, coins incorporated into the level, and the multiplier at the flagpole. No one is calling for a change to that design. The issue is why scores are rounded down to 30k, which is a bizarrely arbitrary cap that is easily surpassed. Maybe if they set the cap to 50k or something less easily reached people wouldn't have such an issue with it. If anything, the design flaw/contradiction is that Nintendo set a low cap yet included those flag pole multipliers that enable such high scores.

Bizarre cap? I bet, Nintendo counted how many coins are in the levels and factored that data in with the flag pole multiplier. Then with the results, they figured the only way to get more coins than that is to abuse something in the game like spawning or koopas. So, not wanting to discourage that play entirely, they put the cap at a nice number so that the cheap strategies can get there and also some straight up tight gameplay. The 30k cap is actually quite genius, and I can see that it's working from the comments in this thread.

Easily? Huh? I where's all the videos of people easily surpassing the total without using the cheap Koopa strategies on vines/stairs?

I haven't seen many besides my video. The few that I've found simply abuse spawn loops to a high degree. That's basically how you get the score; on the first level just abuse spawns or koopa trick. And you want to cap raised so that people will abuse these few strategies even more? That's really not the point of playing Mario. So to prevent this kind of "do whatever it takes to win" attitude from going too far, they placed the cap on the levels. It's really simple.

You guys are way too focused on the maximum score and not what the mode was designed for and how Mario gameplay works best.

Anustart

You think it's so simple right? Just raise the cap? Just raise the time limit. Everything else will be fine right? But it's not so simple.

You talk about competitive play like it's this simple blanket attitude you can apply to anything. But there are many ways to foster a competitive spirit for a game. The more you understand the style you're going for (or the style others go for) the easier it is to see how the philosophy affects the rest of the design.

Coin Rush is a great mode. But it's secondary to the main game. So really, it's building on the design we already understand about Mario (I only assume you understand). If not... read up... http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2009/11/19/the-measure-of-mario-pt1.html

Mario, with its very well tuned, layered, skill-based gameplay works best with repetition. All the possibilities and emergent happenings are revealed the more you play and play through the levels. Coin Rush is a brilliant way of encourage people to play through again who might otherwise have beaten the game once and put the game away.

Coin Rush helps players focus on what's great about Mario's design which is its layered level design as you precisely platform through it. So the low time limit helps move players along. Similarly, the coin cap is designed to be high enough to strive for in most level combinations, but not so high that you can blow the "get 1 million coins" goal out of the water. This overall game goal is more important to the integrity of NSMB2 than a higher cap or no cap to the coin rush levels. The bottom line is the levels were tweaked for coin rush, but not designed for it from the bottom up (at least initially).

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/3

So with the focus on what Mario has done the best since the 80s, coin rush was born out of these design goals. The cap gives us a nice mark to aim for, but the point is to enjoy the level design and play through the stages repeatedly in random combinations.

Just because you can imagine what the game would be like without the cap doesn't mean that it would be better overall. Nintendo obviously weighed out the gain in competitive score chasing with what they'd lose in terms of the core Mario design/gameplay. And what we have now isn't necessarily less competitive. It's just different. If you want to prove your skill, then 30,000 ever level pack or at least beat every single other score out there. If you want to be the best of the best, then record your videos and do the math on your own scores. Obviously, Nintendo designed Coin Rush to encourage re-play and grabbing coins, which is why the street pass sharing is the only way to share your scores in the game. I'm not even sure how extensive the leader board is for the coin rush DLC pack 2.

Laugh it up if you want. I just gave a talk at a Game Design Conference basically explaining why many who think they're game designers are really just pitiful dreamers. Do your own gut check if you want.

Bizarre cap? I bet, Nintendo counted how many coins are in the levels and factored that data in with the flag pole multiplier. Then with the results, they figured the only way to get more coins than that is to abuse something in the game like spawning or koopas. So, not wanting to discourage that play entirely, they put the cap at a nice number so that the cheap strategies can get there and also some straight up tight gameplay. The 30k cap is actually quite genius, and I can see that it's working from the comments in this thread.

Easily? Huh? I where's all the videos of people easily surpassing the total without using the cheap Koopa strategies on vines/stairs?

I haven't seen many besides my video. The few that I've found simply abuse spawn loops to a high degree. That's basically how you get the score; on the first level just abuse spawns or koopa trick. And you want to cap raised so that people will abuse these few strategies even more? That's really not the point of playing Mario. So to prevent this kind of "do whatever it takes to win" attitude from going too far, they placed the cap on the levels. It's really simple.

You guys are way too focused on the maximum score and not what the mode was designed for and how Mario gameplay works best.

There's no point in a cap. No cap doesn't change game play in any way at all. All it does is foster competition.

The mode was also designed for high scores, so I don't know what purpose you think it serves. Your post is ridiculous.

Dr.Hadji

There's no point in a cap. No cap doesn't change game play in any way at all. All it does is foster competition.

The mode was also designed for high scores, so I don't know what purpose you think it serves. Your post is ridiculous.

Amano It was before we decided that the theme this time would be collecting coins. I wanted to make a Super Mario game that you could play over and over again.

Iwata You wondered what you could do so that players wouldn't put it aside after clearing all the stages.

Amano Yeah. Rather than making large-volume stages, I thought about how I could make something fun for customers to play a little in their free time.

Amano When we were worrying over that, we thought about the Coin Rush mode and thought about making it so that players could get lots of coins that way.

Iwata Getting lots of coins is a strong motivation.

Amano Right. We thought that collecting coins would motivate players to play. And we tried making it so that if you grab the top of the goal pole, the number of coins you've collected doubles. It sure feels great to pull that off!

Iwata And if you miss, it feels awful. (laughs)

Seems like preserving and highlighting the core of Mario gameplay was the focus. Getting lots of coins is a great motivator to do this. And finally, getting high scores is the last thing the mode is designed for.

No point to the cap? I already explained the point form a design point of view. It it didn't change the gameplay, then you wouldn't be complaining about it. You know that it would change the way people play. You'd see more players cheesing the coins/points beyond what they do now. And like I said, it's clearly working. I'm glad players can't cheese their way beyond 30,000 coins.

The bottom line is many of the levels can be cheesed. This isn't a mode specifically designed from the ground up to be competitive. That is clearly not the point of the mode. Pretending like there is a whole range of distinct and meaningful strategies that score coin totals beyond 30k is ridiculous.

Peace.

braves01

Banned
Iwata: That's why you made it so that you compete in number of coins collected, like competing for times in Mario Kart.

Amano: Yes. You can try to beat the best time of someone you passed in the street, and if you beat them, not only do you get the coins you snagged, but you also get a bonus Crown Coin.

It seems like competition was intended in the design of Coin Rush. They compare it directly to time trials in MK and what good would those be if there was a time floor for all the levels because the designers wanted to protect against the Maka Wahus?

As for "cheesing," by which I think you mean ways to get coins the level designers didn't anticipate, first of all I think there's only one level that might be problem if at all and that's 3-4. The Koopa shells in the other "cheese" levels disappear after a certain time showing the team clearly knew about them. After all, the Koopa shell trick has existed since the '80s.

Dr.Hadji

It seems like competition was intended in the design of Coin Rush. They compare it directly to time trials in MK and what good would those be if there was a time floor for all the levels because the designers wanted to protect against the Maka Wahus?

As for "cheesing," by which I think you mean ways to get coins the level designers didn't anticipate, first of all I think there's only one level that might be problem if at all and that's 3-4. The Koopa shells in the other "cheese" levels disappear after a certain time showing the team clearly knew about them. After all, the Koopa shell trick has existed since the '80s.

I clearly said that competition and competing for scores was part of the design, just not the most important part. And why not make a time floor? I'm pretty sure you can't win the race in under 3 seconds. Why not put a time floor. Furthermore, the racing design of MK is core to the game itself which includes time trials (being the best mode for competitive score comparing). Coin Rush is an added mode, designed to encourage play of the main game levels which are not explicitly or primarily designed to be score chasing, competitive levels.

I also already explained that based on the cap and things like disappearing koopa shells it's pretty clear that Nintendo already knew about the cheesing strategies. You're supporting my argument that the game doesn't get any more interesting in terms of the core Mario gameplay by raising the cap.

So if the designers only have competition as a 3rd most priority when designing Coin Rush, it's obvious why the cap is better at 30k than any higher amount.

Have to side with Hadji in this thread for the most part. The cap is their so that players are discouraged from sharing coin rush records that involve spam techniques, and to do a small part in discouraging coin farming to reach milestones.

Also, I just must echo common sentiment that the coin rush mode is absolutely superb and, for me (living in NYC and streetpassin like a boss), completely makes this game. Playing through the main game gets you warmed up to the mechanics and the overall feel, and familiarizes you on stage layouts and hidden exits, but coin rush is where you truly start to see the brilliance of the game's level design come through. You go on to master the game. Beating a genuinely challenging coin rush mode and then choosing to share that record with others is not only satisfying on the most direct accomplishment level, but you are also daisy-chaining this sweet challenge to more players you pass by, or right back to the original user who provided the challenge

Basically, if you aren't in an area where streetpassing happens at least moderately often, this game loses a ton of value. Doesn't matter though, cause coin rush combines a time trail and high score mentality, and the 3-stage randomness factor to create nearly endless possibilities for challenging records/runs to share. This may well go down as one of the most underrated and overlooked 2D mario titles

Anustart

New improvement, though not by much. 15,574 coins on nerve wrack pack. Managed to get all 3 gold coins on the bullet bill stage, but lost my gold flower before the last couple hops. Hoping for that 16,000 goal of my own.

That Bullet Bill stage is my undoing. I've got 14,194 because I can only manage the lower route. I really wish I could just repeatedly practice that upper route, haha. Also, I got a few extra coins on the second stage without losing my koopa-combo by doing four wall jumps instead of two and firing off a golden fireball into the podoboo trio after I clomp the koopa troopa.

I've played these stages more than the rest of the game.

Top Bottom