• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. series and lack of variety in worlds

EVOL 100%

Nsmb series is perfect no need to make the game something it's not the levels work and they take the creativity inn the level mechanics the background are just window dressing

It'd be nice if the window dressing doesn't look bland but looks creative and interesting though, no?

I still like the NSMB series since the gameplay and level design is good, but it frustrates me how boring the art direction is.

Boney

Banned
I think I may just be soured from expecting too much. When I see Nintendo debating on how they should handle coop in NSMB2 and ways to restrain it, I cant help but feel they're approach to making these games is so safe that it's hurting the end product. These games just don't excite me as much anymore because I feel I know exactly what I'm going to get and it's probably going to be mostly just like what I already have.

you mean not being able to roam freely on each screen? I thought that way too until I read how the game adds the swapping leader mechanic that bolsters both cooperative and competitive gaming. It really gave it a new light for me and I couldn't be any happier that they decided to incorporate it that way.

Skyrim's Locations (I bolded the interesting ones):

Snow - Snow - Snow - Snow - Snow - Snow

That was a pretty interesting game visually to explore, even though there was no variety or innovation as far as locales.

Danielsan

I spent today replaying Super Mario World, any it only stands to remind me that Nintendo will probably never top that game. I'd like to see them try a "New Super Mario World" though.
Ditch the shitty Murshroom Kingdom and head back to Dinosaur Land. Either that, or give us fully new locations with brand new enemies and features. Also ditch the crappy NSMB art style and music while we're at it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Since 2D Mario can grab and move along ledges now, they really oughta bring back Bridge levels/worlds. They could finally make a complete non-holey bottomless pit bridge and replace that stuff with other obstacles on the bridge itself. Like Koopas speeding by in karts lol.

Teknoman

It requires a cape for that.

That flying squirrel cape :p

Also looking at the newest trailer for NSMB2, it seems to have a few new level styles as well. The one with the mountain tops in the background, that crazy looking giant boo, and the "outline" reverse color world.

I loved the more abstract non-themed level design of 3D Land.

imo that just made things seem a little thrown together...for the overworld maps anyway.

Since 2D Mario can grab and move along ledges now, they really oughta bring back Bridge levels/worlds. They could finally make a complete non-holey bottomless pit bridge and replace that stuff with other obstacles on the bridge itself. Like Koopas speeding by in karts lol.

Heh i'd be up for that. Or bring the football koopas back.

Lijik

Even the typical first stage level looks much better.

Im so glad they finally ditched the "Super generic grassland with Peach's castle in the background" setup that they literally used for three games in a row.

NSMB2 has a few cool new backgrounds in it, but not enough. NSMBU seems to really be picking up the slack. Dat impressionism bg

Honestly its not even the world reuse that bothers so much as the difference in the tiles/backgrounds between NSMB1,wii and 2 are so minor and miniscule that it feels like I'm looking at the same game multiple times. I'd say they should consider ways to mix things up, but with things like the starry theme in NSMBU's ice levels I guess they already did that.

I find it interesting that some people only consider the worlds to be sort of an unimportant "window" to the main game. I don't see it that way for two reasons.

1) A world can (and should IMO) introduce new and interesting enemies and gameplay. A space world with low gravity, an underwater world with swimming, a pipe world with pipe mazes, a big or small world, etc. It makes it more important.

2) A world introduces variety in graphics. What if you look out your window, and all you ever see is a grassy hill at night? Even if it is just a window, it's a pretty boring window.

Therefore, I think it's important to explore all sorts of world types. However, there is a secondary, less obvious way to increase variety...

new-super-mario-bros-u_007.jpg

That looks like a snow/ice world with one level that features stars.

I hope I'm wrong, but it is a good picture of how New SMB U will probably feature the same, "boring" worlds while featuring new and interesting gimmicks and stage types within the worlds.

Just because a world is snow themed doesn't mean it can't have a sunken ship or haunted house in it. I think Mario U will try to add variety and "prove" itself in that way instead of simply changing the world types.

Ranger X

I dunno what drugs people are doing but New Super Mario Bros Wii is like the most diverse Mario game to ever grace this Earth. Especially on the gameplay side. Each world is having a distinct theme and every level is genuinely unique.

Red UFO

I dunno what drugs people are doing but New Super Mario Bros Wii is like the most diverse Mario game to ever grace this Earth. Especially on the gameplay side. Each world is having a distinct theme and every level is genuinely unique.

Have you played Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Yes, the New Mario games are extremely boring and lazy when it comes to the art direction. I guess these games are this way because in Japan, people are more nostalgic about the very first Super Mario games, while in the west, we like 3 and World better.

That said, the actual levels are very varied, there is always a new type of platform or powerup, or a nice gimmick, so the actual gameplay is very varied, so I'm okay with that. I prefer that over a game like Rayman Origins, in which it's the total opposite (extremely appealing visuals, but not so much variety in the level design, I'm sure I'm too harsh, but all the levels felt very similar to me in Rayman Origins).

The last E3 presentation of New Super Mario Bros U featured some very nice background, so at maybe this time things will be different.

Dr.Hadji

you mean not being able to roam freely on each screen? I thought that way too until I read how the game adds the swapping leader mechanic that bolsters both cooperative and competitive gaming. It really gave it a new light for me and I couldn't be any happier that they decided to incorporate it that way.

True true. The multiplayer mode in Super Mario Bros. Dx sort of behaved in this manner. Though it was a race, trying to stay ahead of your foe in a Mario game is great fun.

GimMick

There should be a jelly world.
Yeah, this is the type of weird world I'd like to see in a Mario.

SMG has a toy world and a cake world for instance. SM64 had a level inside a clock. Why can we have some more of these crazy worlds in 2D games as well ?

We could have also some mixes of themes, like a combined Ice/Underwater world, or a Jungle/Lava world. Would help distinguish the different games.

NSMBU worlds looks nice enough so far though, if a bit predictable.

WillyFive

For me, the 2D Mario game's worlds were usually nothing more than different aesthetics. I agree with Why Would You Do That? in that worlds should dramatically change how the game changes instead of just having a different tile set and background.

I thought it was common knowledge that the new Mario games take no risks with anything? The art style is dreadful compared to past games in the series. They're just so dull and boring looking, as if Nintendo did the bare minimum amount of work and then shipped it.

Maybe for you, but the point of this thread is to show otherwise.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The biggest problem with the perception of the art in NSMB branded games, is that a lot of people seem to have this notion about graphics and art direction:

1. If I like this art, it is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and demonstrates the creators are genius.

2. If I don't like this art, it is lazy and was made in ten minutes, showing the creators hold me, the player, in contempt.

The art direction in the NSMB games is extremely specific, and hardly generic. Some people don't like it as, it seems, they are only personally excited by impressionistic and stylized art. That's fair, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. But the art style in NSMB is nothing more than the friendly, inviting style of rendering Nintendo has been experimenting with for over a decade in the primary concept art for their mainline all-ages games. It started with the master character renders for Super Mario 64.

It was then greatly refined during the Gamecube era, when Nintendo created a whole slew of 'reference models' for virtually all of their characters in every game. Smash Bros. Melee was the first game to heavily demonstrate this, and its art direction is not unlike the smooth, polished rendered style seen in NSMB. Another series to follow this aesthetic is Mario Kart - which starting with the N64 version, has had practically the same art and rendering style in every single game.

The mistaken notions surrounding NSMB are pretty flippant at this point - witness how many people assert that the art assets in each game are literally the same. Which is false. NSMB U does not 'reuse' assets from NSMB Wii - every piece of asset, every model, is new and not merely scaled up to HD. NSMB 2 on the 3DS does not reuse any actual assets. Each game uses new assets, but the art style and rendering is consistent.

As for the primary question with variety of worlds... I have had the impression that what Nintendo is doing with the NSMB series is a matter of iterative refinement. First there was NSMB DS. It was a prototype, and it is widely agreed to be very crude in comparison to all the other games. NSMB Wii took the same themes as the DS game, recreated all the assets to a higher standard with a lot more detail and quality.

NSMB U follows NSMB Wii directly. Therefore, it does not reuse the same world themes and art elements, but adds new themes. NSMB 2, meanwhile, seems more like bringing the refined Wii version to a portable format, thus it uses many of the same themes, just with much higher level of quality compared to the original DS game.

I personally don't agree with all of their strategy. I would have considered the DS game done, and gone ahead with new themes for NSMB 2 - but I think I get what Nintendo is doing, and it makes a kind of sense. But then, I am not offended by the art style and it is quite appealing for me. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a mainline Mario game with other visual styles. Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer of all time, and part of its appeal is its particular art style. You can like more than one thing, you know.

BowieZ

Banned
^ Well said, Kaijima; the art style is deliberate and calculated, and each time built from scratch.

You can dislike the "simple" aesthetic, but it's not lazy.

In fact I think it's probably tougher to create the enduring, appealing-to-all-ages NSMB style, than to hire some everyday art designer to create another typical stylized look.

The biggest problem with the perception of the art in NSMB branded games, is that a lot of people seem to have this notion about graphics and art direction:

1. If I like this art, it is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and demonstrates the creators are genius.

2. If I don't like this art, it is lazy and was made in ten minutes, showing the creators hold me, the player, in contempt.

The art direction in the NSMB games is extremely specific, and hardly generic. Some people don't like it as, it seems, they are only personally excited by impressionistic and stylized art. That's fair, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. But the art style in NSMB is nothing more than the friendly, inviting style of rendering Nintendo has been experimenting with for over a decade in the primary concept art for their mainline all-ages games. It started with the master character renders for Super Mario 64.

It was then greatly refined during the Gamecube era, when Nintendo created a whole slew of 'reference models' for virtually all of their characters in every game. Smash Bros. Melee was the first game to heavily demonstrate this, and its art direction is not unlike the smooth, polished rendered style seen in NSMB. Another series to follow this aesthetic is Mario Kart - which starting with the N64 version, has had practically the same art and rendering style in every single game.

The mistaken notions surrounding NSMB are pretty flippant at this point - witness how many people assert that the art assets in each game are literally the same. Which is false. NSMB U does not 'reuse' assets from NSMB Wii - every piece of asset, every model, is new and not merely scaled up to HD. NSMB 2 on the 3DS does not reuse any actual assets. Each game uses new assets, but the art style and rendering is consistent.

As for the primary question with variety of worlds... I have had the impression that what Nintendo is doing with the NSMB series is a matter of iterative refinement. First there was NSMB DS. It was a prototype, and it is widely agreed to be very crude in comparison to all the other games. NSMB Wii took the same themes as the DS game, recreated all the assets to a higher standard with a lot more detail and quality.

NSMB U follows NSMB Wii directly. Therefore, it does not reuse the same world themes and art elements, but adds new themes. NSMB 2, meanwhile, seems more like bringing the refined Wii version to a portable format, thus it uses many of the same themes, just with much higher level of quality compared to the original DS game.

I personally don't agree with all of their strategy. I would have considered the DS game done, and gone ahead with new themes for NSMB 2 - but I think I get what Nintendo is doing, and it makes a kind of sense. But then, I am not offended by the art style and it is quite appealing for me. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a mainline Mario game with other visual styles. Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer of all time, and part of its appeal is its particular art style. You can like more than one thing, you know.

Great post, and I agree. I get the complaints about the art style, but personally I really like it. NSMB2 looks great, and NSMB U looks amazing. Funnily enough, one of the things I'm looking forward to the most is the SMW-esque map in NSMB U. Been waiting for that for a loooong time.

Yes NSMB series needs more variety in worlds but what it crucially needs is BETTER MUSIC I hated the music since NSMB on the DS and NSMB2 still continuing the trend.

Tuck

Sometimes, Nintendo is really good at creating new, creative worlds. Other times, they really, really suck. They often fall back on the standard fire level, water level, desert level, forest level motif.

NSMB U looks like it has some cool new levels, like the impressionist one (Someone posted a picture of this earlier in the thread). But NSMB 2 looks really weak in this regard.

WillyFive

Yes NSMB series needs more variety in worlds but what it crucially needs is BETTER MUSIC I hated the music since NSMB on the DS and NSMB2 still continuing the trend.

I've loved the music from NSMB, but I was disappointed in how later games in the series didn't introduce new music, but rather re-used the music from NSMB.

And then NSMB2 comes around and changes the music by adding really bad sound samples, making the music sound really unpleasant.

Neff

The NSMB series is Mario Headbutting a Block: The Game. It plays heavily on nostalgia, or public perception of nostalgia (essentially SMB1 and 3 sans speed or challenge), and focuses less on the esoteric aesthetics of World, 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. This is mainly why it looks bland. It's also slack on the kind of sophisticated features and mechanics that pique your curiosity and encourage experimentation, or the death-defying high-speed leaps and precision platforming in the core Mario games because they intimidate the casual player NSMB is aimed at. There really isn't a lot more to it than platforms, Goombas and coins, wrapped up in a straightforward, sedate, simple challenge anyone can conquer.

Part of the reason why I dislike the New Super Mario Bros. series so much. It's all of Nintendo's complacency and doing only what's sufficient in one package.

The level design is tired and they don't want to take risks. It's their vanilla series they can pump out without inspiration and make bank on.

As much as I loved Super Mario 3D Land, it's similar in some respects too, only it caters to SM64's style of game but with the same level types. Galaxy was the last Mario game where I felt they wanted to take risks and actually try to progress the franchise. Perhaps progression only lies in big console iterations (not including NSMB U and Wii; the big ones), leaving the stagnation for handhelds.

As well as NSMB, I also found Super Mario 3D Land completely uninspired and unambitious. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Super Mario 64. Super Mario 64 is the most open-world 3D Mario game, and SM3DL is most linear. So much so it plays almost like a 2D game.

Like NSMB, I also thought SM3DL was lacking in ideas and originality. To me, it felt like Nintendo once again playing it safe. It's a good game, but I was disappointed, as I was hoping for Super Mario Galaxy levels of greatness.

Neff

I desperately need a Super Mario 64 remake/sequel/enhanced port.

No, they haven't made one.

Haunted

I don't know what it is, but I think Mario's model in the NSMB line is so much less expressive and organic than it is in the Galaxy games. Like a bland render version of him, not quite as stiff as it is in the Mario Party games, but still worse than in the proper 3D mainline ones. Oh well.

I think the starry night level and other backgrounds in the Wii U game look pretty cool, but it all feels really safe and very small steps. I can definitely see where the criticism is coming from.

I don't know what sucks more in the NSMB series, the fuckin' music or that plastic, soulless art style.

I hate the music and art style so much. I just wish they would do an all sprite successor to Mario World. The lack of variety in the over world is also a missed opportunity. Its just a straight shot from left to right, where as Mario World you actually felt like you were traversing the land and finding secret paths.

When i first played New Super Mario i was actually impressed, and then the Wii Version came out and i thought that was better. But looking back on them they just look so generic. Still fun games. I have to say though, the WiiU New Mario game looks much more inline with what i want from a 2D Mario game. Who els thought Mario 3D Land was one of the best things Nintendo has done with Mario in years?

It's the forest world, but a ,,big''-level regardless. Trailer shows it also has giant blocks and the big goombas turn small if you hit them.

That looks like a snow/ice world with one level that features stars.

I hope I'm wrong, but it is a good picture of how New SMB U will probably feature the same, "boring" worlds while featuring new and interesting gimmicks and stage types within the worlds.

Just because a world is snow themed doesn't mean it can't have a sunken ship or haunted house in it. I think Mario U will try to add variety and "prove" itself in that way instead of simply changing the world types.

Yes, it's not farfetched to assume that this will have the Mushroom Kingdom with all its NSMB tropes again, but at least it looks like that they push the artstyle forward and try more new elements in the stages than the handheld games.

Also, the trailer shows some pyramid cave, so we have pretty much everything covered at this point but lava... which will certainly be the final world again. (Hopefully as stylized and more varied as others, because the sky world looks pretty uninspired once more)

EulaCapra

Huh. Never noticed the New series lacked world variety.

Mario needs more Chocolate/Candy stages. The Galaxy ones were to die for.

9QO7e.jpg

It also has small enemies, but could work.

SMB3 big world also had small enemies.

I'm not bothered by the lack in world variety as long as the level design is good and since level design is always top notch, so I'm never disapointed there.

Did you intend to have more pictures in the OP?

Nothing has topped the 2d platformers SMB3 and SMW for me. 3d wise, of course SMG2 is genius though.

Despite being a pretty weak entry over all (Although I love it to death) I'd love for another game to have the world variety of Super Mario Land 2. Mario Zone is still one of my favorite Mario worlds ever just because of how ridiculous a concept it is. (A giant, clockwork powered Mario robot? Sure, why not!)

Honestly, if they just got rid of desert worlds, I would be satisfied. I am not sure why, but I am so tired of desert worlds. Both NSMBWii and Kirby Mass Attack got so much better after the desert level.

Top Bottom