• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. series and lack of variety in worlds

Sponge

Banned
I remember back when NSMB was hyped as the first 2D Mario game in years, not to mention it was mixing in what was in 3D Mario games. Such as Petey, Bowser Jr., The triple jump, wall jumping, a ton of enemies from 64 and Sunshine, etc.

Now I feel NSMB is riding on the money (and this new one, literally is riding on the money).

Boney

Banned
Well, he was obviously kidding. Also didn't think it was relevant since your post focused on "all the people crying about Mario overload".

My comment was also tongue in cheek. Point still stands that while 2 marios are a lot to process in a 3 month window, those 2 marios are gonna be the only ones for a long time.

Socreges

Banned
My comment was also tongue in cheek. Point still stands that while 2 marios are a lot to process in a 3 month window, those 2 marios are gonna be the only ones for a long time.
Let's pick this up in two and a half years. When the next one is announced. :)

Neiteio

I just want to point out that an enhanced port of SMB2 was used as the flagship first-party title for the Game Boy Advance. Nintendo can't hate it -that- much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just want to point out that an enhanced port of SMB2 was used as the flagship first-party title for the Game Boy Advance. Nintendo can't hate it -that- much.

And it still feels they gave this the most care. The others felt like direct ports compared to this.

Though SMBDX is still the king of portable Mario ports.

And it still feels they gave this the most care. The others felt like direct ports compared to this.
Advance had no new levels, just added giant enemies and a couple miscellaneous things like hearts.
Advance 2 was definitely given the least care.
Advance 3 had 6 new levels.
Advance 4 IMO had the most care, with the many added abilities and levels (even though they were unlockable via cards).

Hero

Understand the complaint but not that big of a deal to me.

NSMB2 doesn't look that good to me though. NSMBU on the other hand, looks gorgeous.

Still would like to see them branch out and try something different after it though.

Teknoman

Blame Mario 64 for starting the trend.

Hmm...the snow worlds in 64 do have a similar sound. NSMB music isnt all bad though. Once they remixed the main theme and athletic a little for the Wii, I think they hit the right mark...which extends to 2. Volcano, Beach, Desert, Main Castle, and Main Castle Boss themes all sound great, not to mention the overworld themes are cool.

Understand the complaint but not that big of a deal to me.

NSMB2 doesn't look that good to me though. NSMBU on the other hand, looks gorgeous.

Still would like to see them branch out and try something different after it though.

The
Cannon Dash
levels have a cool style/gameplay theme going for them. I'd like to see that incorporated into U.

I think they could take a look at Mario Kart and look at the variety in its tracks and then figure out some new Mario worlds. Imagining Waluigi Pinball or Neo Bowser City as the basis of Mario worlds makes me a little happy.

Speaking of variety in a Mario game, was this one ever released outside of Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-9FAwwMvM

Not all of the levels were released in the West iirc, so we were probably missing out on a lot of that stuff in American (and Europe). However, you could unlock it with level editors and printing out eReader cards with custom levels.

Hmm...the snow worlds in 64 do have a similar sound. NSMB music isnt all bad though. Once they remixed the main theme and athletic a little for the Wii, I think they hit the right mark...which extends to 2. Volcano, Beach, Desert, Main Castle, and Main Castle Boss themes all sound great, not to mention the overworld themes are cool.

I was referring to the acappela rendition of the Mario theme on the stage star select screen.

So wait, the artstyle for NSMB is generic and bland and yet this is celebrated? It looks like a flash game rip off of SMB2.

It's just a concept sketch. You don't expect the artist to actually model and render everything exactly as it would look in a real game, do you? :p

It's just a concept sketch. You don't expect the artist to actually model and render everything exactly as it would look in a real game, do you? :p
Some people take the time to make it look good:
metroid.jpg

Top Bottom