• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Bros character to be revealed on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
marty-mcfly.jpg

Wolf? Slippy deserves the spot.
"Extra characters get added after the box art character"

That's actually a pretty good rule of thumb.

Brawl96

Am I the only one here that wants Sakurai to completely surprise us? Though I know I'd love em when the game comes out, if Chrom or Shulk were announced Monday, I'd be very "meh" about it...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well, you're absolutely right in that there are worse JRPG outfits. But still, Shulk looks like a flower child opened up a clothing shop in a junkyard scrap pile.

I've been asking for The Black Knight for years now.
That actually seems kinda accurate to the design and setting in xenoblade, none of the homs in XB are wearing anything fancy, infact I believe everyone lives sorta in a type of poverty. This becomes especially clear when you meet different races in the game.

Tripon

18fhhv53m1k9ojpg.jpg

Endless possibility!

Damn, I guess that rules out Kellam.

Rules out who?

I've heard rumors of some heavily armored dude in FEA... but I never ran into him when I played through.

I don't understand why the guy from Platinum would be in this game

Such a mystery. Must have been a Phantom Unit.

Spoiler Alert: Kellam is actually under Chrom's knee.

Am I the only one here that wants Sakurai to completely surprise us? Though I know I'd love em when the game comes out, if Chrom or Shulk were announced Monday, I'd be very "meh" about it...
Even though I'm expecting one of the Gematsu 3, in the back of my mind I'm wondering if we'll get something out of left field like a Impa, Takamaru or maybe even he who shall not be namRIDLEY.

Ezalc

Punch Out just had a new game, how is that anything close to a dead series? Pit was added as a retro character in Brawl, and just had a new game. Star Fox actually has a new game coming out and is a franchise with tons of memorable characters, unlike Metroid. Ridley is a boss. Rhythm Heaven isn't a C-tier franchise, it actually sold quite well. Mother likely only has one character (Ness), and isn't getting a newcomer. I wasn't arguing that they were unknown characters, I was mainly arguing that they're characters from small-time Nintendo series. Characters from small-time Nintendo series are almost always added as ATs, if anything. You're overestimating the importance of Golden Sun and Custom Robo because you like the games. According to Sakurai, at the very least, they're not as important as you think they are.

Punch-out had a new game in like 2009? That's pretty old considering the new Smash's launch. Rob was the retro character in Brawl, pit was added due to Sakurai's own bias. He's stated before how he wanted to add him before but never knew how to make it work, and then he goes and makes a new Kid Icarus, after Brawl's release, and just decides to include Pit whom he's reworked and goes ahead and adds another newcomer from the franchise as well as a bunch of other things from the series. And what does that make Wolf and Falco? At least Ridley has his own set of moves unlike those two and anybody else from the Starfox franchise. Ridley is an antagonist just like Ganondorf, Bowser, Dedede and it's time he's been included as playable. Well Rhythm Heaven seems like a C-Tier franchise given that it barely even had any recognition in smash aside from the gematsu leak, at least the others can claim they were important enough to at least show up as an AT. I never said Mother was getting a newcomer, but it's just as niche as Custom Robo or Golden Sun except the fact that it has less games with it's most recent entry being from like 10 years ago? I never argued the fact that they were super important series, I said that they were the only multi-game franchises left that have not had any playable reps, along with Advance Wars. Given the fact that they have multiple games means that they have had to have some sort of success and popularity and that, I feel, grants them at least a bigger "right" (for lack of a better word) to have a playable character. According to Sakurai, Mii needs to have three different characters and Ridley is supposedly too big, clearly there's something wrong with him.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Explain.

Yes. I know a bunch of bad FE:A memes

Frederick from FEA. The game's early badass.

He's one of those "trick characters" you always have in Fire Emblem, he's super strong early on and can OHKO most enemies...but at the cost of draining all the EXP away from everyone else. And then he levels out so if you rely on him too much the rest of your team will be handicapped.

Of course this isn't an issue in Awakening because there's unlimited EXP...

Berordn

Ummm a good 80% of people who know what both those things are.

To play devil's advocate for no good reason at all, I will say that seeing the name or logo for Bandai-Namco immediately makes me think of Tales. I don't know why that's my association and not say, Idolmaster or whatnot.

Bandai on its own is Tamagotchi, Namco is naturally Pac-Man.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It'll be good to see Shulk with a proper rendered face. As long as they don't give him the Link treatment.
godammit link looks fine! those were bad screenshots, as far back as the developer direct in 2013 you can see link in video and he looks about right

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Frederick from FEA. The game's early badass.

He's one of those "trick characters" you always have in Fire Emblem, he's super strong early on and can OHKO most enemies...but at the cost of draining all the EXP away from everyone else. And then he levels out so if you rely on him too much the rest of your team will be handicapped.

Of course this isn't an issue in Awakening because there's unlimited EXP...

Well he is a Jeigan. Only unit like that that was good the entire game was Seth from Sacred Stones. But then again. That's like the easy game.

Punch-out had a new game in like 2009? That's pretty old considering the new Smash's launch. Rob was the retro character in Brawl, pit was added due to Sakurai's own bias. He's stated before how he wanted to add him before but never knew how to make it work, and then he goes and makes a new Kid Icarus, after Brawl's release, and just decides to include Pit whom he's reworked and goes ahead and adds another newcomer from the franchise as well as a bunch of other things from the series. And what does that make Wolf and Falco? At least Ridley has his own set of moves unlike those two and anybody else from the Starfox franchise. Ridley is an antagonist just like Ganondorf, Bowser, Dedede and it's time he's been included as playable. Well Rhythm Heaven seems like a C-Tier franchise given that it barely even had any recognition in smash aside from the gematsu leak, at least the others can claim they were important enough to at least show up as an AT. I never said Mother was getting a newcomer, but it's just as niche as Custom Robo or Golden Sun except the fact that it has less games with it's most recent entry being from like 10 years ago? I never argued the fact that they were super important series, I said that they were the only multi-game franchises left that have not had any playable reps, along with Advance Wars. Given the fact that they have multiple games means that they have had to have some sort of success and popularity and that, I feel, grants them at least a bigger "right" (for lack of a better word) to have a playable character. According to Sakurai, Mii needs to have three different characters and Ridley is supposedly too big, clearly there's something wrong with him.
Look, you can argue things all you want, I'm just telling you what's going through Sakurai's head. He thinks Punch Out and Rhythm Heaven merit playable characters, but Custom Robo and Golden Sun don't. You agreed with me that it's probably not because they're not suitable to be fighters, and the series obviously have characters that stand out as playable possibilities (unlike Advance Wars, Nintendogs, etc) so it must be because he doesn't think they're important enough.

But of course, I'm sure you think you know much more about game development than Sakurai. I'm sorry, but it's really hard to take a post seriously when it devolves into something like that.

Crocodile

@Ezlac: Your bitterness is adorable :p

It's not Sakurai's fault shit go leaked. They aren't going to add new characters or drastically change their marketing to accommodate a leak only the hardest of the hardcore know about :p

Riki

I feel like Shulk is only predictable because it was in the leak.

I would have never expected it without the leak telling us.
I would always hold on hope for him even without the leak.
Of course Riki would have been better but this could mean Heropon assist trophy!

Ezalc

Look, you can argue things all you want, I'm just telling you what's going through Sakurai's head. He thinks Punch Out and Rhythm Heaven merit playable characters, but Custom Robo and Golden Sun don't. You agreed with me that it's probably not because they're not suitable to be fighters, and the series obviously have characters that stand out as playable possibilities (unlike Advance Wars, Nintendogs, etc) so it must be because he doesn't think they're important enough.

But of course, I'm sure you think you know much more about game development than Sakurai. I'm sorry, but it's really hard to take a post seriously when it devolves into something like that.

I stopped caring for him and his "design choices" in Brawl. I have Kid Icarus and fail to see what's so amazing about it, so I guess I'm the only one who dislikes him and his ridiculous bias for his own works.

Good sarcasm there, though to me saying that they can't put in a character because "he's too big" just screams laziness or a really bizarre unwillingness to make something work. Also, it just baffles me that he chose to spend more time developing Brawl's single player than the other parts and that they gave the Mii enough movesets for what was it 9? supposed characters.

I stopped caring for him and his "design choices" in Brawl. I have Kid Icarus and fail to see what's so amazing about it, so I guess I'm the only one who dislikes him and his ridiculous bias for his own works.

Good sarcasm there, though to me saying that they can't put in a character because "he's too big" just screams laziness or a really bizarre unwillingness to make something work. Also, it just baffles me that he chose to spend more time developing Brawl's single player than the other parts and that they gave the Mii enough movesets for what was it 9? supposed characters.
What... he cut the major component of Brawl's single player. Hm.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What... he cut the major component of Brawl's single player. Hm.

To my understanding he said there would not be something like The Subspace Emissary. What that means in plain terms is yet to be determined. I am still wondering what the Wii U's exclusive mode is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom