• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Bros character to be revealed on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unfortunate fact that Smash is stuck in Sakurai's hands until he dies.

Okay. Uh... do you really think a newer developer would add Custom Robo of all characters? I don't think having the game in a different person's hands would make you any happier. If anything, a choice like that is classic Sakurai (Pit, Ice Climbers, etc).

Everything I think. He didn't get the characters he wanted and he thinks Sakurai is incompetent and biased and etc.

So, like, don't buy the game.
But then what would he complain about?

Ezalc

Okay. Uh... do you really think a newer developer would add Custom Robo of all characters? I don't think having the game in a different person's hands would make you any happier. If anything, a choice like that is classic Sakurai (Pit, Ice Climbers, etc).

Yes clearly, let's just minimalize everything I said into the fact that Ray isn't playable. Let's give Smash to Ono, he'd know what to do with the series. Yep that's what I'm saying, Ono would make Ray playable and everything would be fine.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel like Shulk is only predictable because it was in the leak.

I would have never expected it without the leak telling us.

I was actually pretty hopeful, especially when sakurai tweeted out that monado replica, which tells me he is very aware of the games existence and acclaim.

Yes clearly, let's just minimalize everything I said into the fact that Ray isn't playable. Let's give Smash to Ono, he'd know what to do with the series. Yep that's what I'm saying, Ono would make Ray playable and everything would be fine.

Isn't that what started all this off? That you wanted him and Isaac playable? I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey at this point other than blind rage. Also, I can't tell if you're sarcastic at that last part, but I doubt that would turn out the way you'd hope.

Hatchtag

Banned
Yes, after everybody and their mother complained about how awful it was. Something he didn't see the entire time he worked on Brawl.

Oh, christ. You claim that Sakurai has bias, because everyone was begging for Kid Icarus reps, so he added one? It was a very highly requested character, more so than Custom Robo or a character from a dead and terribly overrated RPG franchise. He created the series, he'd do a better job with it than any other developer would. No one else has made a Smash like anywhere near as good as it, and no one likely ever will.

He might not have added Ridley. He didn't add him last time because he didn't think he would work. Believe it or not, the Smash series is made on a fairly tight schedule. He's not gonna devote too much time to a character that'd be too hard to work unless he thought it was really worth it. And who knows, maybe he did this time. I mean, he added in Megaman Pac-man, and Villager, three of last time's most highly requested characters, despite having previously expressed worries over rather or not they would work.

I don't personally think he has bias, and in fact, I've argued he doesn't. But even if he did, so what? I'd rather he add characters he's really enthusiastic about than struggle to make up movesets for characters he hates.

Custom Robo is also second party, which means it's significantly more difficult to add than first party characters (Sakurai has said second party stuff like pokemon is more difficult than you'd imagine). It's an irrelevant, super niche second party franchise. It's honestly lucky to even have an assist trophy

foxuzamaki

Remember when it took until brawl for metaknight and dedede to be playable? And brawl wasent even going to be made until sakurai was forced to into it, Sakurai is so fucking biased man.

Hatchtag

Banned
Remember when it took until brawl for metaknight and dedede to be playable? And brawl wasent even going to be made until sakurai was forced to into it, Sakurai is so fucking biased man.

Yeah. Remember when he designed a whole moveset for one of his characters, but then cut them because he'd rather have a Fire Emblem character in it? So god damn biased.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Does he really, does he?

Square Enix has the rights to Geno.

I mean...

6b07b18e0eacdc522844b6a37419ccdd.png

Yeah they are that bad.

The unfortunate fact that Smash is stuck in Sakurai's hands until he dies.

This is nowhere near fact at all. This is almost definitely his last Smash game. He doesn't like he obligation of endless sequels, his studio is dismantled, and this game's development serves as a torch-passing to another experienced co-director at a studio with the manpower for its future entries. But reading all your comments, you don't really seem to understand Super Smash Bros.

This is nowhere near fact at all. This is almost definitely his last Smash game. He doesn't like he obligation of endless sequels, his studio is dismantled, and this game's development serves as a torch-passing to another experienced co-director. But reading all you comments, you don't really seem to understand Super Smash Bros.
To be fair, he's been saying that since Melee (or even earlier?). But this is the first time he hasn't done the whole thing single-handed, so you could be right.

Sakurai has shown his incredible bias against the Zelda series by not giving Ganondorf a proper moveset and making Link, Zelda, and Brawl Ganondorf poop tier. He has also shown his incredible bias for the Zelda series by not removing Toon Link, making Sheik too good in Melee, and having 5 whole Zelda characters, two of whom are basically different versions of another character.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sakurai has shown his incredible bias against the Zelda series by not giving Ganondorf a proper moveset and making Link, Zelda, and Brawl Ganondorf poop tier. He has also shown his incredible bias for the Zelda series by not removing Toon Link, making Sheik too good in Melee, and having 5 whole Zelda characters, two of whom are basically different versions of another character.

We have a winner.

I wasn't referring to who owns Geno, rather the probability.

I guess 0%.

To be fair, he's been saying that since Melee (or even earlier?). But this is the first time he hasn't done the whole thing single-handed, so you could be right.

It does feel like it's been a while coming. But like you said, this time he actually appears to be preparing successors to take the reigns away from him. Talk is cheap, but his actions speak louder than words here.

Somebody who has been saying the same thing for fourteen years will probably do it eventually, you know?

But we agree.

It does feel like it's been a while coming. But like you said, this time he actually appears to be preparing successors to take the reigns away from him. Talk is cheap, but his actions speak louder than words here.

Somebody who has been saying the same thing for fourteen years will probably do it eventually, you know?

But we agree.
Definitely. This is also the first time that I've heard of him apparently breaking his wrists or whatever haha, so there's that.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I feel like Shulk is only predictable because it was in the leak.

I would have never expected it without the leak telling us.
Shulk's not a completely off-the-wall character like Wii Fit Trainer or Chorus Kids, but he's definitely not a safe pick.

Although I'm on the side of "the leak's probably real", I still have a few reservations about it. If Shulk is confirmed, that will remove all doubt for me.

Hatchtag

Banned

I'm personally guessing the following:
If he passes off the rumored DLC to the co-director, he's done with the series.
If he continues to work on the game's DLC, he's not.

To be fair though 3 dudes from Fire Emblem but not one female?
Just seems like a odd omission.
This.

Sakurai has said that he wanted to add more female characters to Smash, and he has which I'm quite happy with, but when I first think of female characters from Nintendo, i have for years always first thought of Fire Emblem, and I hadn't even played any of it until the beginning of this month with Awakening.

And to have it be another guy just feels insulting considering that its pretty even for male and female characters in FE. It pisses me off so much that its Chrom that gets in over a female FE rep. Atleast put Robin in. She/He is also a main character of FE:A infact it is the main character since its you. FFS.

All I can hope is that theres a less than %1 chance that it changed from the leak since the leak seems like its from early concept, but probably not. :/

zroid

Banned

Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up

Everyone gets really angry about and is insulted by Smash roster choices.

I really like video games and they make up much of my personal and professional lives.

But, uh

zroid

Banned
Sakurai will be a teenager when the next Smash Bros. starts development. He won't be qualified to direct it at that point.

Ezalc

Isn't that what started all this off? That you wanted him and Isaac playable? I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey at this point other than blind rage. Also, I can't tell if you're sarcastic at that last part, but I doubt that would turn out the way you'd hope.

Jesus.

Oh, christ. You claim that Sakurai has bias, because everyone was begging for Kid Icarus reps, so he added one? It was a very highly requested character, more so than Custom Robo or a character from a dead and terribly overrated RPG franchise. He created the series, he'd do a better job with it than any other developer would. No one else has made a Smash like anywhere near as good as it, and no one likely ever will.

He might not have added Ridley. He didn't add him last time because he didn't think he would work. Believe it or not, the Smash series is made on a fairly tight schedule. He's not gonna devote too much time to a character that'd be too hard to work unless he thought it was really worth it. And who knows, maybe he did this time. I mean, he added in Megaman Pac-man, and Villager, three of last time's most highly requested characters, despite having previously expressed worries over rather or not they would work.

I don't personally think he has bias, and in fact, I've argued he doesn't. But even if he did, so what? I'd rather he add characters he's really enthusiastic about than struggle to make up movesets for characters he hates.

I never argued against the inclusion of Palutena, though I'm surprised to see people asking for Hades and previously for Magnus. Agree to disagree, he's certainly done many things right with the series but has also done many questionable decisions, imo.

Which is what baffles me, Ridley has been highly requested for years yet his excuse was he's too big. If he's so willing to please the fans why not give them a character they've been asking for for so long like Megaman, Pac-man, and Villager?

That just enters into the area of who he's making the game for which is a whole other argument. Anyway, if he hates a popular character then it'd be pretty childish on his part not to include him due to his personal dislike of them.

Jesus.

I never argued against the inclusion of Palutena, though I'm surprised to see people asking for Hades and previously for Magnus. Agree to disagree, he's certainly done many things right with the series but has also done many questionable decisions, imo.

Which is what baffles me, Ridley has been highly requested for years yet his excuse was he's too big. If he's so willing to please the fans why not give them a character they've been asking for for so long like Megaman, Pac-man, and Villager?

That just enters into the area of who he's making the game for which is a whole other argument. Anyway, if he hates a popular character then it'd be pretty childish on his part not to include him due to his personal dislike of them.
Ridley is way less popular than you think. He's popular amongst western hardcores, which is what you see on gaming forums, but pretty much nowhere else

There's a giant information gap here in that Sakurai makes video games for a living. Despite what you think, his choices are arguably far more educated than what you are letting on.

If he thinks Ridley wouldn't work, then he just might know what he's talking about. Crazy thought.

EDIT As far as consciously deciding against a popular requested character: good designers remember that they generally know better than most fans. If he feels something else would be more fun or interesting, he should go with his instinct. I would never expect WFT or Chorus Men, but I bet they're awesome.

foxuzamaki

And there it is.

Jesus.

You're saying that's not what it was? You're still arguing character choices. What's it about?

Hell, he didn't even update the characters to their newest appearance in this game. Gosh Sakurai, why do you hate Zelda so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom