• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Bros character to be revealed on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What a beautiful trophy.

iSbiNA4PtFY9J.gif

I think a lot of us lurk in that thread :p

Before my first post after E3 I lurked since last year. In fact because of my prior insomnia (as of a week ago no longer a problem) I stayed up since before daylight savings and would look at the reactions to the pic of the day being posted. I also rather read than post so while I may post very little I actually read quite a bit of the thread daily.

I know it's probably because I barely know who Chrom and Shulk are, but I don't want'em... More generic anime dudes [ladies?].. no thanks.

Give me Wario Ware's Jimmy or Mona.. Wario Land's Captain Syrup.. Donkey Kong 3's Stanley.. Captain Toad (come on, he's the most eligible here!).. Wonder Red (even though I couldn't get into that game).. Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Master Higgins.. Popeye!..

I'm totally psyched for Chorus Men though.. Anything from Rhythm Heaven will be pleasing.

He said they are running out of "character videos". To me that implies characters he intends to reveal before the game is out. Brawl had secret newcomers, and I think the same will be the case this time.

In other words, I don't think every newcomer is going to get a video.
Sakurai said that he wanted to make a video for every newcomer, unlockable not. Don't get your hopes up.

It's called Xenoblade X. Xenoblade was a completely new universe with no relation to the previous 2 Xeno series, while Xenoblade X is again another new universe it will carry on the themes and some of the races (like the Nopon race) from Xenoblade. So the Xenoblade franchise so far is kinda like the Final Fantasy series in that sense, new universe with each main entry but with many shared things. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see a few familiar faces from Xenoblade, obviously not as the exact same characters but as new versions of those characters for this new universe.

While I am super excited to see more of Xenoblade X and am so far interested in the universe I am actually a little disappointed that we aren't getting a sequel that takes place after Xenoblade, I really wanted to see what happens in that world after the climactic ending.

Actually I'd say the opposite. While yes the game does have a new cast and setting, it was confirmed to take place in the same universe after the events of the first game. Even the Nopon from the trailer was from the first game. In one of the older trailers, we saw a glimpse of Shulk. So while its not entirely related, its still in the same universe (kind of like the Fire Emblem series, where it only ages, but there are reoccurring characters, locations and themes.

Also the monado is the xenoblade. I expect it to have some kind of role in the plot, considering Shulk is part of it in some way.

onilink88

Actually I'd say the opposite. While yes the game does have a new cast and setting, it was confirmed to take place in the same universe after the events of the first game. Even the Nopon from the trailer was from the first game. In one of the older trailers, we saw a glimpse of Shulk. So while its not entirely related, its still in the same universe (kind of like the Fire Emblem series, where it only ages, but there are reoccurring characters, locations and themes.

Also the monado is the xenoblade. I expect it to have some kind of role in the plot, considering Shulk is part of it in some way.

I don't know where you got your info from, but most of what you just said is wrong. Xenoblade is entirely self-contained; Xenoblade X is the sequel to Xenoblade in gameplay only.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Spiritual Successor. Final Fantasy is to Final Fantasy 2 as Xenoblade is to Xenoblade X.

I don't know where you got your info from, but most of what you just said is wrong. Xenoblade is entirely self-contained; Xenoblade X is the sequel to Xenoblade in gameplay only.
But shouldn't Xenoblade X have a Xenoblade in it? Different Fire Emblem games still have Fire Emblems, even if they're set in different lands with different characters.

But dude, don't you see? All animu art and characters are the same! Nintendo and Smash should be above them. :/
Those characters do look pretty similar, and they look similar to Chrom and Shulk as well. It's not really a stretch, and I'd bet everyone knew what that guy was talking about when he said he didn't want any more anime-looking dudes.

But he's gonna be really mad when Naruto is revealed if that's the case.

During the treehouse, they said it takes place after the events of Xenoblade.

Edit: Shulk was hinted in the trailer:

images

DeVeAn

How possible is Knuckles appearing in this game? I mean Sonic is the first and only 3rd party character to ever return in the series. Most of the series have 2 reps.

onilink88

But shouldn't Xenoblade X have a Xenoblade in it? Different Fire Emblem games still have Fire Emblems, even if they're set in different lands with different characters.

No, not exactly. It has a brain implant that serves the same purpose as the Monado.

Those characters do look pretty similar,

...In that image that BGBW posted? Or Polioliolio's? Regardless, no, they most certainly do not look similar (a big, fat resounding no if it's the former).

and they look similar to Chrom and Shulk

Alright. I see where this is going. This is pretty much my cue to exit the conversation.

No, they did not.

Highwind

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKiODpn6Fg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW1sjmoY2c

Give us the timestamp where they said it takes place after Xenoblade because I quite clearly remember them saying it's nothing but a spiritual sequel, meaning it's completely unrelated to the story of Xenoblade.

Edit - Second video, skip to 2:00. The guy says right there it is not a direct sequel to Xenoblade.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
But dude, don't you see? All animu art and characters are the same! Nintendo and Smash should be above them.

palutena_by_agb_gifs-d7m2o7d.gif

You see? They even have them do the same lewd things like in every anime show! For shame Nintendo!

MicH

How possible is Knuckles appearing in this game? I mean Sonic is the first and only 3rd party character to ever return in the series. Most of the series have 2 reps.
I would think that if the Sonic series got another character it would be Tails

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth, I hated the bumshake/boobshake in the Palutena trailer. I don't care if it is or isn't what every other animu does or whatever that arguments about, it's independently awful regardless.

DeVeAn

I would think that if the Sonic series got another character it would be Tails
Typically yes but, I think throwing people off it would make sense for Sakurai.

As a collectible trophy, a good chance. As a playable character, pretty much no chance.

Why do you think there is no chance? I mean who ever thought 3rd party characters would ever be a thing? Just curious to hear your reasoning is all.

Kyari

Typically yes but, I think throwing people off it would make sense for Sakurai.

Why do you think there is no chance? I mean who ever thought 3rd party characters would ever be a thing? Just curious to hear your reasoning is all.

Third parties is one thing but multiple from the same third party seems like a super stretch, I'm sure they'd much rather focus on their own branding than someone else's.

No, not exactly. It has a brain implant that serves the same purpose as the Monado.

...In that image that BGBW posted? Or Polioliolio's? Regardless, no, they most certainly do not look similar (a big, fat resounding no if it's the former).

Alright. I see where this is going. This is pretty much my cue to exit the conversation.

No, they did not.
Dude, they all look almost exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if most of those were from the same series (or at least spinoffs). Come on now.

maxcriden

For what it's worth, I hated the bumshake/boobshake in the Palutena trailer. I don't care if it is or isn't what every other animu does or whatever that arguments about, it's independently awful regardless.

What's esp. odd is that the trailer for Palutena is in an anime-style at all. I never thought of KIU as being any more anime than, say, Zelda games.

Well, for starters, no third-party company has ever had more than one character in one of these games. Two, for additional Sonic representatives, Knuckles is second or third in line, after Tails and maybe Shadow. Third, from Sakurai's comments, we're nearing the end of the newcomers for this game, we still have three unannounced newcomers from a consistently credible leaker, and I can't imagine a scenario in which Knuckles would be considered important enough to be a theoretical fourth unannounced newcomer.

DeVeAn

Third parties is one thing but multiple from the same third party seems like a super stretch, I'm sure they'd much rather focus on their own branding than someone else's.

Everything you said makes sense. I remember people thinking the same thing about 3rd party characters before Brawl came out too though. I think it is awesome that we really never know what can happen with this series though. One of its biggest draws I think.

What's esp. odd is that the trailer for Palutena is in an anime-style at all. I never thought of KIU as being any more anime than, say, Zelda games.

It's anime because Nintendo released several Kid Icarus anime shorts around the time of Uprising's launch. The studio that made one of those shorts also did the anime parts of her reveal trailer.

I don't think Xenoblade actually had a Xenoblade in it. It has the Monado sword. The game was originally called Monado: Beginning of the World until they changed it to Xenoblade because of Takahashi's prior games, the titles Xenogears and Xenosaga.

In the new game there is a system called B.L.A.D.E., Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator. Elaborate and ridiculous acronyms come with games in the Xeno series.

So in a weird way the new game has more to do with the title Xenoblade than the old game did.

*I haven't played more than a little of Xenoblade because I'm playing through the other Xeno games. So I may be wrong.

DeVeAn

Well, for starters, no third-party company has ever had more than one character in one of these games. Two, for additional Sonic representatives, Knuckles is second or third in line, after Tails and maybe Shadow. Third, from Sakurai's comments, we're nearing the end of the newcomers for this game, we still have three unannounced newcomers from a consistently credible leaker, and I can't imagine a scenario in which Knuckles would be considered important enough to be a theoretical fourth unannounced newcomer.

Well Shadow is a trophy character, and I think people would rather have Knuckles over Tails. The leaks seem to be on point so yeah your right. Real shame for the leak though. No more mystery.

Foffy

Banned
I know it's probably because I barely know who Chrom and Shulk are, but I don't want'em... More generic anime dudes [ladies?].. no thanks.

Give me Wario Ware's Jimmy or Mona.. Wario Land's Captain Syrup.. Donkey Kong 3's Stanley.. Captain Toad (come on, he's the most eligible here!).. Wonder Red (even though I couldn't get into that game).. Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Master Higgins.. Popeye!..

I'm totally psyched for Chorus Men though.. Anything from Rhythm Heaven will be pleasing.

A character who can't jump in a fighting game. Really~?

What would be the remaining unannounced characters from said leaker? I don't follow Smash jazz.

If a 2nd sonic rep is in, I think he'll already be revealed in the Nintendo Direct last October, along with Sonic.

No, you're right, Xenoblade is just a reference to the game being mostly about a crazy fucking blade

I'm guessing B.L.A.D.E will be the "blade" in XCX's Xenoblade like you said

Dude, they all look almost exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if most of those were from the same series (or at least spinoffs). Come on now.

Yes and all Asian people look the same too.
Not to mention all wines taste the same, too. And all cheese is basically the same, too.

Come on now.

A character who can't jump in a fighting game. Really~?

Hm. Didn't think about that.. But he could easily get tossed up by a platform or object.

My point is you'd think Toad would be in by now, and with Captain Toad now being his own character, he's got the individuality that he never really had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom