• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch Reaction Thread

What's your reaction to Switch OLED?

• Total voters
Bold assumption: Nintendo working on a streaming service, so that Switch won't be limited to its GPU. Hence the Ethernet port: lagless stream guaranteed.

Fake

6PGL2Gu.png

crozier

I’m reasonably happy. Would I have preferred a 4K revision? Well yeah, but I currently only have a Lite so now I have something to look forward to. I tried putting in a preorder today but GameStop says these will likely be first come, first serve.

Rippa

I hate that Nintendo went with the handheld first, traditional console second mentality. I exclusively play my switch docked because I loathe portable gaming.

And…

I already play my switch with an OLED screen 😏

Last edited:

Grechy34

I’m still deciding whether it’s worth selling up my current Switch and purchasing the OLED model or keeping the older model. Anyone who has anything OLED would understand how great it is and how good games will look on that OLED screen. It seems like an unnecessary expense though from a hardware standpoint. My OG switch has remained docked mostly and hasn’t left the house, it’s still in perfect condition and I’ve had any issues with it contrary to some who have. With the Switch line out there also have Nintendo mentioned whether they will be discontinuing the older model? I feel a substantial amount of market confusion will arise if they keep the older model going.

fersnake

dont know why ppl defend this, dont get me wrong love oled displays but i rather have a better gpu/cpu upgrade and if they add a nice display well ok i would pay for that.

supernova8

Banned
I don't currently have a Switch and I was thinking of holding off if they were releasing a new (properly upgraded one). If they're launching this OLED one then I may as well just get it (assuming the next proper upgrade is not coming for at least a year or two).

Plus, back when I did have a Switch (all the way back in 2017), the reason I rarely used handheld mode was because of the shit screen. Sure the resolution hasn't improved but with a bigger screen and it being OLED... it might look a bit nicer? I would have loved to enjoy handheld mode/tabletop made but I just couldn't at the time. Of course I'll wait for pre-release hands on previews etc before making a judgement (and preferably trying one out in-store if that's a thing again).

Obviously if you have a Switch already (especially the non-Lite variant),you most likely do not want/need this.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I’m still deciding whether it’s worth selling up my current Switch and purchasing the OLED model or keeping the older model. Anyone who has anything OLED would understand how great it is and how good games will look on that OLED screen. It seems like an unnecessary expense though from a hardware standpoint. My OG switch has remained docked mostly and hasn’t left the house, it’s still in perfect condition and I’ve had any issues with it contrary to some who have. With the Switch line out there also have Nintendo mentioned whether they will be discontinuing the older model? I feel a substantial amount of market confusion will arise if they keep the older model going.

I suppose if you're OK with being without a Switch for a while, it might be worth selling it now while supply is still a bit sketchy (and you can sell it used at a reasonable price, and therefore almost completely fund the new purchase). Problem arises if/when all of the OLED models get bot scalped (which they probably will). If I had a Switch I wouldn't want to "upgrade" unless I was covering almost all of the cost without being too out of pocket.

I don't currently have a Switch and I was thinking of holding off if they were releasing a new (properly upgraded one). If they're launching this OLED one then I may as well just get it (assuming the next proper upgrade is not coming for at least a year or two).

Plus, back when I did have a Switch (all the way back in 2017), the reason I rarely used handheld mode was because of the shit screen. Sure the resolution hasn't improved but with a bigger screen and it being OLED... it might look a bit nicer? I would have loved to enjoy handheld mode/tabletop made but I just couldn't at the time. Of course I'll wait for pre-release hands on previews etc before making a judgement (and preferably trying one out in-store if that's a thing again).

Obviously if you have a Switch already (especially the non-Lite variant),you most likely do not want/need this.

Actually it will look worse, if 3DS XL is anything to go by. Theres no bump in resolution yet the screen is bigger meaning you will see jaggies even more now. But for new users yes I recommend the OLED Switch but for the rest of us, pointless waste of time.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

And im saying lets have a BET on that. I believe this can Sell 30mil or even 40mil total. This version away. oh I also believe Better version would come out later too.
As it stands right now with... no more announcements from Nintendo like
" by the way NEW UI and now themes are exclusive to this model LOL"
or
" there will be dlss afterall lol"
or
"Comes packaged with Breath of the Wild 2 lol"

Ya I'm betting this thing won't break 40 million in the near future.
Hasn't got a chance.

daclynk

As it stands right now with... no more announcements from Nintendo like
" by the way NEW UI and now themes are exclusive to this model LOL"
or
" there will be dlss afterall lol"
or
"Comes packaged with Breath of the Wild 2 lol"

Ya I'm betting this thing won't break 40 million in the near future.
Hasn't got a chance.
So lets BETS!!!

Top Bottom