• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch Reaction Thread

What's your reaction to Switch OLED?

• Total voters

Markio128

Gold Member
Tongue Disapprove GIF

Unknown?

As I said elsewhere, why are they still selling the original and not replacing it with this as the new standard model?!

Just another model, not a real revision. Nintendo doing their thing. Switch "Pro" has been delayed due to chip shortages. Doesn't matter, the switch has awesome games and I don't have much complaints with the current model, granted I have all systems so I experience high end stuff too, it's just Nintendo does have their own appeal

Markio128

Gold Member
I feel great.

- no splitting of the install base
- no need to shell out for another console in order to keep playing their new releases
- no forced obsolescence like the nauseating world of yearly iPad / iPhone updates
- who gives a shit about 4k Nintendo games, lol
I’ve enjoyed the Switch, but anybody can see that it is really showing its age now. And everybody who owns a 4K tv would give a shit about 4K Nintendo games, me included. The real question is why would anybody buy another Switch, or pay more for one, with an Oled screen? This is arguably worse than iPad updates that you refer to.

gordy

Neo Member
I don't play other than on my tv, so this upgrade really doesn't mean much to me. It's more of a Switch lite Pro.

I feel great.

- no need to shell out for another console in order to keep playing their new releases
- no forced obsolescence like the nauseating world of yearly iPad / iPhone updates
So, you’re glad they didn’t improve specs and make you’re prior purchase feel inferior?

I don’t think a boosted 4k output would make any one of the points you made.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Not really sure which answer of your poll is positive or negative to be honest.

But officially not excited. Not dissapointed too, I was not expecting something crazy, so I just don't care and I'm neutral.

Last edited:
I'm also looking forward to oled sub 540p at 20 fps
ahhh yes we need 4k fidelity and AAA games forever, nintendo is the only one of the big three that have lots of aa game, lots of niche games because developers dont have to spend ungodly amounts of money on raytracing and individual hair physics and a bunch of retarded shit. I would rather developers take risks and make a unique aa game, instead of the same shit aaa high fidelity shit

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Nintendo just killed their chances to get the multiplatform 3rd party games on their consoles. Most of these games will skip the switch like they already did last gen. But with the release of PS5, the leap is too much for the switch hardware, which was already under powered compared to the PS4.

Besides the usual indi games that are not taxing on the hardware, the best place to play those 3rd party games will be on the PS5 or PC. This gen will be the worst for Nintendo with regards to 3rd party games.

Oh, please. As if a Switch successor was ever going to get PS5 games.

Shifty1897

I really just wanted something powerful enough to play games at the Switch screen's native 720p resolution. Instead I got a fancy screen so I can see the 320p jaggies REALLY WELL.

Porcile

I won't be upgrading and that's a good thing. I don't have any problems with the current Switch hardware so I am glad I can have the same experience as people who want the OLED version.

scydrex

If it were $300 ok at least better screen and a bit bigger. Don't know why the battery is the same, lan port is nothing, 64gb ok. For $350? Ummm not for me.

PhoenixTank

Finally the Nintendo Switch Proled edition.

Didn't fully buy the rumours about a "pro". Maybe an upgraded chip is indeed in the works but not feasible to bring to mass market on 7nm in the quantities required right now. Maybe it was just bullshit.
Not going to be a huge difference between those two options for a while.

I would like the OLED for gaming outside this summer but I'm not going to shell out for it when I still have the OG.
Maybe the steampal will actually come to market and fill that niche for me.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have myself to blame for being disappointed.

I never should have trusted any rumours.

I mean, seriously! Look how well the Switch is doing. There's no reason to create another mode on top of the two we already have. Makes no sense to do that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not for me. I mean I like it, but have an OG switch that is fine until Switch 2 drops. I hope Switch 2 is coming by 2023.
Knowing Nintendo, their true next gen system will be moving on from the Switch concept to some other stupid gimmick and retain none of what made the Switch great, and we'll all hate it and half of us will buy it anyway.

I dont understand the business decision behind it. At least from that one ad its shown as a new member of the Switch family but as a new customer....why would you buy a V1 now? I mean its the same thing just sliiiiiiiiightly bigger screen. The 4 year later upgrade is a joke but if it was meant to replace the V1 switch OK. But selling both at the same time makes absolutely zero sense.

Cyborg

Not fixing the joy-con issue (I'm on my 3rd) is the biggest letdown. I see no reason to buy this and support the product

GeekyDad

They went smaller with the Switch Lite. I'm happy. I still prefer handhelds, so I'm indifferent to this. But if there are folks out there that wanted this, great.

Corgi1985

Banned
Hey if games ran at a stable framerate nintendo would be as boring as the other guys. Now going to enjoy some 368p xenoblade 2 in 2021 for $350

I dislike how this offers basically nothing for docked players. I have a proper Switch and a Switch Lite. The OG Switch I pretty much only use in docked mode and of course the lite is my system to use in bed or whatever. I was hoping for a more robust system to use docked. I love looking at OLED screens, but I can just as easily just play my docked Switch on a much bigger one. Anything short of a performance boost was always going to be a disappointment and Nintendo succeeded with that.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
If I didn't have and was waiting to get a Switch, yay!

As I already have one, meh.

Looks like we'll be waiting on the Switch 2 and not a Switch Pro.

TLZ

Banned
How can you know if the internals were upgraded or not of there's no mention of it anywhere? Ffs.. the shit just got announced. When has Nintendo detailed technical aspects of the internals of their consoles?
Really? They'd definitely flaunt 4k or dlss or 1080p screen like they flaunted the stupid LAN port like it's 2001.

I feel great.

Why even mention Apple when iOS is still supporting iPhone 6s with updates

TLZ

Banned
Who expected a powerful Switch was and is an idiot. We are talking about Nintendo. They sell underpowered Hardware since the Wii totally overpriced.
I expected a little more power. At least fucking something. I'd even take 0.8tf which is shit in today's tech over their current 0.4tf. Something after 4.5 years fgs.

Top Bottom