• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch Reaction Thread

What's your reaction to Switch OLED?

• Total voters

mcjmetroid

I don't know why but this comment is amazing just for the fact that you're such a Metroid fan

Also I just love scathing reactions in general
I'm a Nintendo fan in general. When they're at their best they are the very best developers in the world.

it's a shame to see them become so complacent. It mirrors the end of the Wii's era and this is likely to repeat at some point in the next few years.

I think this upgrade will sell amazingly well over the Christmas but not after that.

stop fuck off GIF

The dog is just staring into space and then whacks him out of nowhere

I'm dying :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MiguelItUp

Hardware cycles last about 5-6 years. Switch is 5 years old next March.
So, you're in agreement? Or you you're saying it was time for the Switch to have a serious performance upgrade? Lol. 🤔

I mean, looking at Nintendo's previous catalog, especially handhelds, this is certainly a "business as usual" situation.

yazenov

Nintendo just killed their chances to get the multiplatform 3rd party games on their consoles. Most of these games will skip the switch like they already did last gen. But with the release of PS5, the leap is too much for the switch hardware, which was already under powered compared to the PS4.

Besides the usual indi games that are not taxing on the hardware, the best place to play those 3rd party games will be on the PS5 or PC. This gen will be the worst for Nintendo with regards to 3rd party games.

Last edited:
Feels like a waste to add an oled screen if the games going to already be low res as many switch games are in docked mode. I mean imagine playing BOTW in 720p undocked on an oled screen. If anything its going to just expose the incapabilities of the hardware even more. Will deff pass up on this one. I'd rather have a docked only version of the switch than this.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I need to know if it has revised joy cons before I buy. Base level joycons are pieces of shit. I can't even take advantage of the handheld mode because of drift

Feels like a waste to add an oled screen if the games going to already be low res as many switch games are in docked mode. I mean imagine playing BOTW in 720p undocked on an oled screen. If anything its going to just expose the incapabilities of the hardware even more. Will deff pass up on this one. I'd rather have a docked only version of the switch than this.
I was thinking along the same lines. At least BOTW usually hits 720p in handheld, but games with sub native dynamic resolutions already look gnarly on the current screen. Now they're going to be stretching it to 7 inches. I want to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 dips to something like 360p at it's worst, and that looked ROUGH in handheld as is.

Last edited:

Xellos

I use Switch 50/50 docked/portable so OLED is a nice upgrade. I'm a bit disappointed that Nintendo isn't upgrading from TX1+; oh well, maybe next time. Is it known whether this runs at the same frequencies as regular Switch? This seems to line up pretty closely with the Aula datamine from a few months ago and I believe that mentioned the possibility of higher clocks.

Meh. Not bothered by it, was excited for an upgrade w/internal improvements, but if they don't want to do that, I'm not fussed either to buy one. I have a switch, it's been fun to play the few times I choose to do that, I don't mind waiting. It's not like there's anything coming out soon that warrants new hardware either way. O well.

Not worth it.

You can - EASILY! - find a cheap 2-in-1 convertible for that price with much better specs and a lot more feature support in terms of connectivity, if you're willing to possibly go without wired ethernet. And chances are you already have a controller you can sync with it wirelessly for gaming, or can get one for pretty cheap.

Lenovo Chromebook i3

Comes with Intel i3 10th-gen, 4 GB DDR4, 64 GB storage, FHD display, touchscreen, 2x USB Type-C ports, 1x USB Type-A port, Intel UHD graphics, $334 USD

HP Chromebook

Comes with Intel Celeron N4020, 4 GB DDR4, 64 GB storage, HD display, touchscreen, Wifi 6, 2x USB Type-C ports, SD card reader, $257 - $320 USD

Dell Inspirion 11 3195

Comes with AMD A9-9420e dual-core, Radeon R5, 4 GB DDR4, 128 GB storage, HD display, Windows 10 Home, touchscreen, Wifi, bluetooth, HDMI, $322 USD

Any of those, particularly the Dell, are much better in terms of specs outside of not having support for wired ethernet. While they don't have OLED displays, they render at a higher native resolution than the new Switch, and in the case of the Dell one you could probably try running the Switch emulator.

In any case, you get better performance specs and better native display output to the screen, and access to a lot more games (including Steam games if you get a Windows-based one; oddly there aren't too many of these with Linux installed :S). Besides, it's not like you can't buy ethernet dongles for these anyway if you really want wired ethernet support, and most of those come in around $10 - $20 USD.

This isn't like with the PS5 or Xbox Series systems, this isn't a device that simply can't be replicated with existing PC tech at a price comparable to those consoles. I get that Nintendo's not in the market for power anymore but that doesn't mean they have to under-deliver even compared to OEM 2-in-1s that aren't necessarily pushing the tech envelope in their own market segments! Especially considering this thing is $349; honestly unless you're knee-deep into Nintendo's 1P what worth is this compared to a $299 Series S or $399 PS5 Digital, and you already have a normal Switch or Switch Lite?

The new Switch is the bare minimal from Nintendo here; even if they're doing well sales-wise that's not an excuse to be some complacent with the hardware innovations or improvements. Fans should demand better.

Last edited:

TheAssist

If I was to ever buy a switch, this would be the one. I like the color scheme.

But for me its still to small and low res. A spec bump would have been nice.

Fake

Is more funny discovering people on the other side find out that journalist can be fanboys as well. Surprise surprise.

TastyPastry

Great option if you don't already have a switch. Slightly bigger screen and OLED is worth the $50 premium.

It's not going to make me double-dip though.

i don't see how it's a great option if you don't have a switch already. i'm in that target audience but looking at this "upgrade" makes me think nintendo has to release a switch 2 in 2 years or less which is going to be BC with all the switch titles. if not how long are we supposed to play nintendo games on completly underpowered hardware? people have big 4k screens at home and switch games look terrible on them with their 720p resolution and sub 30fps.

StormCell

This is the biggest MEH announcement, for me, since Wii Music at E3.

I really could not be less interested in this new Switch.

If I lost my current Switch and for some reason wanted to replace it, and this is if I wanted to replace it, I would opt for the current model over this one in the hopes of getting it on sale or even to just save $50.

I'm not going to knock Nintendo for doing this or even declare them complacent, because I understand what this is doing. It does two things. One, it further increases their hardware profit margins. Two, they're almost guaranteed to get people upgrading even if it's not much.

Sad conclusion for all of us is that the new SoC from the data leaks is almost guaranteed, now, to be a future iteration of hardware and not a "Pro."

More than the reaction to the Switch OLED announcement, I'm more interested in GAF's reaction on the "iNsIdErZ" who "lEaKeD" a unicorn video game console that was to be announced within the first week or June or postponed to next year.

gpX0VQ2.jpg

Astral Dog

People will buy the thing in droves once the salt of Switch OLED not being pro has passed..

For me its all or nothing, i never buy Pro'/new! upgrades, patiently waiting for that next gen Switch 2

im just happy Metroid and TWEWY2 are coming soon ☕

Last edited:

Zero7

Hard pass for me, I only keep my switch around in hope of playing Bayonetta 3 one day, I'd have sold it year's ago otherwise.

carlosrox

Banned
All the people bitching about the Switch kick stand:

We lost 4K cuz of your shitty criticisms.

(I'm being sarcastic but serious at the same time)

This is $50 more than a Series S and only $50 less than a PS5 DE.

Let that sink in for a minute.
But people will buy it. Thank god Nintendo always has good and bad console cycles. So the next one will suck and they lose money again.

No reason to upgrade the base version then. Battery life means nothing when you play in docked mode and the OLED screen is even less of a reason. I guess I'm stuck playing Hyrule Warriors at 15fps lul

Codes 208

It’s not was hoping for or expecting but I do think it’s a really good upgrade from the switch lite at the very least

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It's a pretty terrible upgrade, but I have a launch Switch so will probably buy it just to reset the clock on longterm wear and tear issues.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I know weird and underwhelming hardware decisions are kind of Nintendo's thing, but given the credibility if the leakers involved and the fact that some of it was true, I don't think that this was "Plan A."

It's pretty clear they wanted to do something more but either the silicon wasn't hitting their targets for heat and power, or they just didn't think they'd be able to get enough supply together for the holiday with the silicone n shortages so they pivoted to Plan B.

The question is where they go from here. Do they just shelve it and hold out for their next system in 2024? Or do they still try to make a Super Switch in 2022?

Boy bawang

I think it's a missed opportunity. There's a real demand for a more powerful console and with the nvidia partnership, the technology was there to do a really solid iterative upgrade. As it stands, it feels like Nintendo will squeeze the current switch for as long as they can. Seems a bit short-sighted in my opinion though; the last time they were in this mindset was during the Wii days, and we all know it ended with the Wii brand dying while the successor cratered.
The upcoming years will be interesting. As for me, it's time to buy an Xbox I guess.

Top Bottom