• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch Reaction Thread

What's your reaction to Switch OLED?

• Total voters
I like the colour scheme, the new dock and the screen, but it's not exactly compelling me to purchase one given the internal are exactly the same as the model I sold a year and a half ago.

I guess more fool me for believing there would be an actual meaningful upgrade within this new console.

the 3 stages of my reaction:

iu

iu

iu

Fbh

My reaction is slightly petty but I'm sort of glad it's not a major upgrade.

I don't use my Switch a lot so I couldn't justify upgrading to a new model. But there's still a few games I'm really looking forward to (Bayonetta 3, Prime 4, SMTV, BotW2) and I was worried they'd be gimped on the OG switch as the focused shifted to Switch Pro.

Pejo

Bah, no internal upgrades?

The ghost of Reggie is probably rolling in its grave right now.

Reggie-Fils-Aime-blue.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not for me. I mean I like it, but have an OG switch that is fine until Switch 2 drops. I hope Switch 2 is coming by 2023.

Marvel14

Banned
It's a slightly updated Switch, and that's really it. Cool for folks that don't have one, definitely the better model to get. In the end it's just Nintendo doing what Nintendo has always done, especially with handheld devices. 🤷‍♂️

I really don't understand why or how people were expecting a serious Switch performance upgrade.
Hardware cycles last about 5-6 years. Switch is 5 years old next March.

Silvawuff

The white and black aesthetic would look nice next to my PS5, ngl.

I feel like there might be some stealth hardware improvements. I think Nintendo's thought process on this is "Don't push the hardware upgrades as a selling point since that would concede the other Switch models have inferior present-day hardware." I'm just kidding myself. They just updated the screen and added a LAN port lol.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Every single time Nintendo did a hardware upgrade it was a basic one at best, with probably less than 5 games taking true advantage of it. At this point it's obvious they do not want to alienate their userbase and fracture the development (imagine what happened to CP2077 happening to BotW 2, heads would roll).

I was hoping for something to help the aging hardware, not a fancier screen... BotW chugs in a couple places (see: Lost Woods) and that was a launch title. Nintendo are doing themselves no favors by placing such performance restrictions on developers.

I fucking hate mobile gaming - it kinda looks like that's where the Switch is headed. As long as it still sells well in Japan, I guess.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I was never going to buy it anyway because of the crap games the Switch has been releasing for the past 2 years.
So I'm delighted with the announment of this pathetic upgrade.

I'm even less tempted than I could have been.
I don't know why but this comment is amazing just for the fact that you're such a Metroid fan

Also I just love scathing reactions in general

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was hoping for more of an update and a port of Destiny 2…

Gonna have to make make due with Xcloud streaming to my phone :/

Top Bottom