• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots from now until launch

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The art and designs for this game has been amazing. I can't wait to see what there is to find in the world.

I wonder if those more Japanese looking farming peasants from the reveal trailer are still in the game. The beetle village definitely had a sort of Japanese style to it. Would love to see a more diverse and varied cultures for the world.

The art and designs for this game has been amazing. I can't wait to see what there is to find in the world.

I wonder if those more Japanese looking farming peasants from the reveal trailer are still in the game. The beetle village definitely had a sort of Japanese style to it. Would love to see a more diverse and varied cultures for the world.

Been thinking about those guys lately, too. Hope they're still in.

Caelus

15874917_1280291148698679_5690713729390226467_o.jpg

No description on the page.

Ugggh can't wait for a new trailer + gameplay demo tomorrow !

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty cool. They seem to have a several of those hollowed out tree trunks in the world.

I think there was one north of the plateau that was visible and one in the E3 reveal trailer in another location.

Edit: E3 tree trunk is the one north of the Plateau. Could have sworn we've seen another somewhere. Maybe on the Plateau itself.

Really excited for this game but I'm wondering if it's too big for it's own good. Seems that there isn't too much environmental detail. Lots of empty expanses without much purpose. Hope i'm wrong and it's more packed than I'm thinking. We'll find out soon!

CCIE

Banned
I will buy a Nintendo Switch for this game alone... everything else is just a bonus. I'm hopeful for a lot of Wii U software, because I skipped that system. Just couldn't get past the crap-ass controller...

rewkol

That's a pretty large tree trunk there. I wonder where this is on the map? Either way looks like a great place for shield surfing.

butman

It look beautiful. But i'm not very attracted to the native american pocahonta-ish aesthetics.

When did Zelda lose its medieval fantasy style? Skyward Sword?

Frig looks bad, don;t care about graphics at the end of the day if the game is good but people saying that looks beautiful? Looks awful.

brad-t

It look beautiful. But i'm not very attracted to the native american pocahonta-ish aesthetics.

Uh, Wind Waker? Then it came back for TP. Art direction changes are kind of a Zelda mainstay at this point. Describing this game's look as "native american pocahonta-ish" is weird, though.

udivision

What's with the black line at the top of the image?
Why is the pic stretched beyond 720p?
Who is responsible for taking these pics hmm....
JPEGS...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Que? I mean it's a forest. How is that Pocahontas and not medieval? There's still a giant European castle sitting in the middle of the world. You start the game by exploring the area around the ruins of a European style town and Temple that looks like a medieval Christian cathedral.

Zelda has been a mix of styles for a long time now. Spirit Tracks had a train. WW was Pacific island themed in places. Numerous games have featured aspects of different cultures, regions and time periods.

Zips

15874917_1280291148698679_5690713729390226467_o.jpg

No description on the page.

Ugggh can't wait for a new trailer + gameplay demo tomorrow !

Deku Tree remains, it would seem. You can see the severed trunk at the bottom of the screen. Unless there just happens to be a region with massive trees, but you can see normal-sized trees in the area. The Deku tree has been the only huge tree typically in Zelda, I think?

Maybe the koroks will have some deku tree restoration quest once you find them. Or maybe the game won't even mention the tree, and it will be there just as a nod to those who have played past games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Reminds me of Mongolian horse culture to me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Deku Tree remains, it would seem. You can see the severed trunk at the bottom of the screen. Unless there just happens to be a region with massive trees, but you can see normal-sized trees in the area.

Maybe the koroks will have some deku tree restoration quest once you find them.

Nah, they wouldn't show something like that in a random FB screenshot. Like I pointed out above, we saw a similarly large hollowed tree trunk in the E3 trailer just north if the Great Plateau. It's just a big dead tree.

Zips

Nah, they wouldn't show something like that in a random FB screenshot. Like I pointed out above, we saw a similarly large hollowed tree trunk in the E3 trailer just north if the Great Plateau. It's just a big dead tree.

Was there? I guess it really will just be a region of giant trees then!

Cerium

It just occurred to me; if those are the remains of the new Deku Tree that sprouted in Ocarina of Time, then this must be set very very very far in the future indeed.

Skeletos311

Nintendo's strategy is to show us bad Wii U screenshots, so that the Switch version looks way better in comparison on Thursday.

Alebrije

It just occurred to me; if those are the remains of the new Deku Tree that sprouted in Ocarina of Time, then this must be set very very very far in the future indeed.

I hope it is , and we get a series of games with new lore and plot story. Time to move on and see something new.

A little off topic but I have an important question. Is the OT going to be created tomorrow before the switch event or has it already been created and I don't know it or what?

The reason I ask is because despite all my effort I have to close at work tomorrow and won't be home till after the presentation hs started and I want to selectively spoil things if you know what I mean? I don't want to know anymore about the main story or have Zelda revealed but wouldn't mind seeing more gameplay demos and a dungeon teaser, etc

Hopefully come tomorrow they'll start using the docked Switch as the basis for these screens.

Atmosphere and art's incredible, but image quality + assets are letting it down.

brad-t

Not sure why everyone would worry about the graphical quality of stills uploaded to FB. We've seen the game running on a Wii U. We already know what it looks like.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
A little off topic but I have an important question. Is the OT going to be created tomorrow before the switch event or has it already been created and I don't know it or what?

The reason I ask is because despite all my effort I have to close at work tomorrow and won't be home till after the presentation hs started and I want to selectively spoil things if you know what I mean? I don't want to know anymore about the main story or have Zelda revealed but wouldn't mind seeing more gameplay demos and a dungeon teaser, etc
I imagine it'll open ~1 hour prior to the conference.

man Why does this game look so washed out?

It's like the gorgeous art and colors are being held back by some sort of haze or fog, ughh

Xdrive05

Have they talked about how they plan to fill the world with things to do yet? I hope every explorable area has secrets you can find, or quest items to collect. I'm thinking of the golden spiders in OoT, the bugs in TP, and secret areas where you can bomb the ground to find caves. I feel like we're going to need a lot of that because of how big this game is.

Caelus

man Why does this game look so washed out?
It's like the gorgeous art and colors are being held back by some sort of haze or fog, ughh

There's verified issues with Nintendo's Wii U capture cards in comparison to the actual IQ of their games. You can see through the Digital Foundry link and off-screen footage that the contrast and colors are truly vibrant.

I hope every explorable area has secrets you can find, or quest items to collect. I'm thinking of the golden spiders in OoT, the bugs in TP, and secret areas where you can bomb the ground to find caves. I feel like we're going to need a lot of that because of how big this game is.

They've probably avoided revealing too many spoilers, but the gameplay footage shows a lot of bombable areas, areas with physics that can be manipulated through runes, hidden Koroks, and judging by the Game Awards demo, NPC's that give you cryptic clues to areas akin to the first Zelda.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Have they talked about how they plan to fill the world with things to do yet? I hope every explorable area has secrets you can find, or quest items to collect. I'm thinking of the golden spiders in OoT, the bugs in TP, and secret areas where you can bomb the ground to find caves. I feel like we're going to need a lot of that because of how big this game is.

I'm sure there will be plenty of that stuff. Every game has had at least a couple collectibles, we already know of the Koroks, but hopefully they have more than just fetch quests and collectibles to occupy us. That is the major folly of most open world games, especially Ubisoft games. They fail to actually fill the world with unique and interesting content and instead rely on an excess of meaningless and repetitive copy and paste content.

Actual unique locations and events would be nice. Interesting NPCs and settlements, unique ruined locations that offer something other than some rupees or weapon for our trouble exploring them, actual unique enemy encounters and so on. The Shrines of Trial should help a bit despite being very similar they all so far seem to offer a wide variety of puzzles and challenges for the player, but that alone wont be enough.

Top Bottom