• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots from now until launch

shira

Ōkami;226619713 said:
So, I was checking out facebook and this pops up.

https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZe....1481768177./1256663284394799/?type=3&theater

Screenshot 1
15403716_1256663284394799_3268814248179808580_o.jpg

No mention how often screenshots will come out, daily, weekly, randomly no idea.

Campo Santo should throw up a mirror shot from Firewatch

StayDead

It's Nintendos responsibility to post screenshots that look good.

I don't think this one is really doing the game justice.

Trouble is they're sharing it via social media and it doesn't matter how high quality it is, facebook will make it look like anus.

Blame the platform, not the user.

Wow these images are disappointing. Maybe they decided to post images of the most detail free boring map locations they could find and they aren't representative of the whole game. If so, Nintendo shouldn't shouldn't be so stupid and promote the game with them. Frankly, Nintendo deserve all the critiques the game receives. I mean, why not promote your tentpole release with a pile of low-res steaks with a blurring link in the background?

I wish they'd focus on things which aren't just the game world, the way they are marketing this feels a bit like it's doing disservice to other aspects of the game.

I liked how the physics engine got a showing during the segment on TV last week, for instance.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Trouble is they're sharing it via social media and it doesn't matter how high quality it is, facebook will make it look like anus.

Blame the platform, not the user.

So we should blame Facebook for those ground textures, ground geometry and those leaves?

Scrawnton

I had enough of the nature. Just show me dark, cold and creepy dungeons.
This. It's time to show one dungeon. That's what needs to be shown at the Switch event. Without it the game seems like a skyrim like overworked with just as shallow "caves".

I swear to God if the Switch reveal is just more shallow overworld stuff...im just gonna have to post dismissive remarks on NeoGAF about it!

Griss

I'm just going to have to accept that I don't find the game world visually appealing and get over it, I guess.

Doesn't look like a real place to me, at all. And the texturing is weak too.

I like the look of Link and the enemies, I like the art style... but the world itself? No. People who say that screenshot in the OP looks good are on a way different wavelength to me.

You can still get some decent textures (at least ones that don't look like copy/paste from Gamecube's Zeldas) and decent geometries if you try, even for empty rocks.

And pretty decent vegetation.

Exactly. Xenoblade X's spectacular world shows that it's not about the Wii U's power, it's about design and texturing.

LordKano

Zelda's vegetation is way better and "physical" than Xenoblade X one though. I agree with the geometric though, seems like they had to do some sacrifices.

Rodin

It's Nintendos responsibility to post screenshots that look good.

I don't think this one is really doing the game justice.

They posted it on fb because there's a massive audience there. Maybe if their shitty uploader didn't compress pics so much... but who cares, the atmosphere is still amazing.

And at least you can see that the shading on Link is impressive even from this pic.

You can still get some decent textures (at least ones that don't look like copy/paste from Gamecube's Zeldas) and decent geometries if you try, even for empty rocks.

You can do that, if you remove global illumination and physics. And speaking about vegetation, what Zelda loses in (some of the) tree models more than makes it up in grass rendering.

The original Xenoblade on the Wii looked extremely rough from a technical standpoint. But Monolith Soft's artists did a fantastic job at creating a world full of awe-inspiring vistas.

Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, has nothing going on for it. The combination of very outdated graphics + weak visual design makes the world look incredibly bland. Especially next to games with fantastic environmental design like Horizon, Witcher 3 and Wii U's Xenoblade.
This looks bland and very outdated to you? Holy shit at those standards!

Shion

It's not just a matter of weak hardware.

The original Xenoblade on the Wii looked extremely rough from a technical standpoint. But Monolith Soft's artists did a fantastic job at creating a world full of awe-inspiring vistas.

Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, has nothing going on for it. The combination of very outdated graphics + weak visual design makes the world look incredibly bland. Especially next to games with fantastic environmental design like Horizon, Witcher 3 and Wii U's Xenoblade.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Zelda's vegetation is way better and "physical" than Xenoblade X one though. I agree with the geometric though, seems like they had to do some sacrifices.

The grass yes (especially since it looked less aliased in the Switch gameplay), the trees not so much.

Koobion

I feel like the is an incredibly potent rose tinted glasses effect going on here, because it really doesn't look very good in this shot. That trees just look awful, especially that one on the right. This is coming from somebody who is ecstatic about getting a Switch and BotW. Link looks good though.

LordKano

You can do that, if you remove global illumination and physics. What Zelda loses in (some of the) tree models more than makes it up in grass rendering though.

Also, this. Xenoblade X is a beautiful game but it lacks any lightning at all and had zero physics. They focused on the textures, the vegetation, the draw distance and the models.

Instead, Zelda lacks texture work and better environment models but gain advanced physic engine and great lightning.

optimiss

I see what you mean. What do you think accounts for the difference? There must be some reason Zelda doesn't look like that. Could it just be a style choice? Are the resources being used in other ways like AI or physics?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yes
The comparison should really consider the deep gap in terms of interactivity in judging the visual gap

Lutherian

Also, this. Xenoblade X is a beautiful game but it lacks any lightning at all and had zero physics. They focused on the textures, the vegetation, the draw distance and the models.

Instead, Zelda lacks texture work and better environment models but gain advanced physic engine and great lightening.

Oh and Xenoblade X don't make use of dynamic shadows. Look at the shadows casted by everything at anytime ingame : weither it's day or night, the shadows didn't moved at all.

orioto

Good Art™
I see what you mean. What do you think accounts for the difference? There must be some reason Zelda doesn't look like that. Could it just be a style choice? Are the resources being used in other ways like AI or physics?

Oh well Zelda is just maybe the most ambitious open world game ever done you know, maybe it has something to do with that...

People in this thread i swear..

Rodin

Instead, Zelda lacks texture work and better environment models but gain advanced physic engine and great lightning.
And dynamic shadows. And more advanced shading. And real time reflections. Seriously, they both look amazing for games that run on an ancient tri core CPU, 176gflops of an old amd GPU architecture and 1GB of RAM. But Zelda takes the cake in terms of modern rendering techniques used, easily.

Seriously, instead of shitting on bad uploads people need to watch this video.

Oh and Xenoblade X don't make use of dynamic shadows. Look at the shadows casted by everything at anytime ingame : weither it's day or night, the shadows didn't moved at all.

They completely disappear at night.

sanstesy

It's not comparable like some people already mentioned. Xenoblade X looks great in (vista) screenshots but way worse in motion. That's why no one says the game looks ugly when a trailer is playing.

I still remember people shitting on Pikmin 3 graphics because the pre-release screenshots looked terrible. Truly disgusting.

optimiss

Oh well Zelda is just maybe the most ambitious open world game ever done you know, maybe it has something to do with that...

People in this thread i swear..

Oh please, you are contributing nothing with your comment yet you point the finger at "people in this thread". Please explain how this is the most ambitious open world game ever done? How does it surpass the Witcher 3 or the latest GTA in terms of ambition (which is not a real metric btw).

Griss

I wish they'd focus on things which aren't just the game world, the way they are marketing this feels a bit like it's doing disservice to other aspects of the game.

I liked how the physics engine got a showing during the segment on TV last week, for instance.

What I find strange is that the one thing that I think looks really weak in comparison to BotW's peers (the game world) is the one thing they're focusing on. If Xenoblade X had taken this approach it would have made perfect sense but for BotW you're just focusing on
a) How bland and low-spec everything looks, and
b) How in a game about 'being immersed in the wild', almost every other open world game will provided a more visually immersive open world to get lost in.

Just a weird approach.

It's not just a matter of weak hardware.

Yep, exactly how I feel. Having played those games (or WILL have played, in Horizon's case) I feel like it's going to be hard to get that sense of 'wonder' at the natural wild that Nintendo is pushing so hard from these visuals. This is why I was so underwhelmed by the release trailer and only recently came around on the game when they showed towns, NPCs and more combat scenarios. The world is doing nothing for me at all.

You can point out all these small differences all you like, but if the end result is that XCX looked spectacular and BotW looks poor, then surely Monolith are the ones who might the right decisions?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seriously, instead of shitting on bad uploads people need to watch this video.

What bothers me about this video that it's brought forward again and again is that the game doesn't look like this in other parts. Even in this, there is much less aliasing than in most recent videos. Compare the textures in this video with some textures in the recent videos and in this screenshot. Either there are huge difference in quality between areas within the game or the E3 demo was way more polished than the rest of the game.

Edit: actually there are big differences between areas also in the video, like the snow area is much poorer in textures.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still not a fan of the art style, it as long as the gameplay is top notch Zelda I'll be there say one. Just hope it's not another Wind Waker where I didn't care for the art style and also rank the game low in the series.

Rodin

What I find strange is that the one thing that I think looks really weak in comparison to BotW's peers (the game world) is the one thing they're focusing on. If Xenoblade X had taken this approach it would have made perfect sense but for BotW you're just focusing on
a) How bland and low-spec everything looks, and
b) How in a game about 'being immersed in the wild', almost every other open world game will provided a more visually immersive open world to get lost in.

Just a weird approach.

Yep, exactly how I feel. Having played those games (or WILL have played, in Horizon's case) I feel like it's going to be hard to get that sense of 'wonder' at the natural wild that Nintendo is pushing so hard from these visuals. This is why I was so underwhelmed by the release trailer and only recently came around on the game when they showed towns, NPCs and more combat scenarios. The world is doing nothing for me at all.

You can point out all these small differences all you like, but if the end result is that XCX looked spectacular and BotW looks poor, then surely Monolith are the ones who might the right decisions?
If a world where you can interact with pretty much EVERYTHING to move forward in it isn't doing anything to you, i don't even know what to say. And enough with this nonsense, BOTW is technically superior overall to Xenoblade X because it implements rendering techniques that don't exist in the other game. Watch the video i posted instead of judging from shitty material. Art design is excellent in both games.

What bothers me about this video that it's brought forward again and again is that the game doesn't look like this in other parts. Even in this, there is much less aliasing than in most recent videos. Compare the textures in this video with some textures in the recent videos and in this screenshot. Either there are huge difference in quality between areas or the E3 demo was way more polished than the rest of the game.

This is an high quality (well, for yt standars) upload, with proper gamma and encoding. Other videos are fucked with unproper gamma that makes the game look washed out and bad encoding, but i thought this was known now. Like i said in the tga footage thread, Nintendo needs to fire whoever is in charge of the Zelda uploads.

Compared to the initial teaser, this games feels like it had a Ubisoft-tier downgrade in graphics. If it wasn't called Zelda, people would probably believe it if they were told this was an indie title.

sanstesy

No one should trade the physics-engine for better graphics. The game looks still very good for what it has going and in motion looks way more modern and technical advanced than XCX ever could. You are judging a game by one compressed screenshot right now.

What bothers me about this video that it's brought forward again and again is that the game doesn't look like this in other parts. Even in this, there is much less aliasing than in most recent videos. Compare the textures in this video with some textures in the recent videos and in this screenshot. Either there are huge difference in quality between areas within the game or the E3 demo was way more polished than the rest of the game.

That video is more representative of the game than a compressed screenshot from Facebook. It's also very representative of the game as a whole. Also, in the DF footage the game has literally no anti-aliasing other than the weak post-processed one present in SM3DW.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Well if Laura and Emily were right about what they said about the delay of the game and the testing process here:

That brings us to the month of November. More sources have now come forward and corroborated my information. They’ve told me that localization for Breath of the Wild might not be finished until the end of December. After localization is completed, this game will require between (at least) four-to-six months of testing. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of Nintendo’s largest and most ambitious games ever. The amount of testing required for a huge open-world game like this is enormous. Nintendo’s intention is to have the game as bug free as possible.

Then it makes sense that they polished the E3 demo area more than what they showed since.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is an high quality (well, for yt standars) upload, with proper gamma and encoding. Other videos are fucked with unproper gamma that makes the game look washed out and bad encoding, but i thought this was known now. Like i said in the tga footage thread, Nintendo needs to fire whoever is in charge of the Zelda uploads.

That video is more representative of the game than a compressed screenshot from Facebook. It's also very representative of the game as a whole. Also, in the DF footage the game has literally no anti-aliasing other than the weak post-processed one like SM3DW.

Nope, checking again the video, there are big differences between areas. As I edited later, the textures in the snow area (and mountain areas overall) for example are way poorer than the plateau.

Top Bottom