• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 screenshots

Kobalty

Take all my Orens!!

ilmA6frAbg8mq.gif

Phil4000

The vegetation looks mighty impressive and just look at that sky!! Didn't they say the clouds are volumetric?! I also hope we see some crazy weather...

-griffy-

Banned
All their screens look over sharpened and it drives me crazy. The grass look like you can cut yourself on it.

Does the Witcher 2 look like that in game?

The Witcher 2 definitely has in-game sharpening that can look quite annoying, but can be turned off by messing with settings files. All shots of W3 up to this point have had noticeable sharpening with really bad edge halo-ing. It looks like these three new shots DON'T have that, but they do have some form of transparency AA that is doing some slight things to foliage and the like. But not the ugly sharpening I recall from earlier.

Perkel

Banned
All their screens look over sharpened and it drives me crazy. The grass look like you can cut yourself on it.

For some unknown reason they love their sharpen filter.

Thankfully on PC you can disable that shit.

Simzyy

I'm really looking forward to seeing it on PS4/Xbone. If it looks good enough for me that helps justify buying a next gen console for me. Played the Witcher 2 on PC and Xbox and it was a fine port. Looked fantastic,

I hope some of the characters in Witcher 1 are in 3. 1 had almost nothing to do with 2. Shame really, I wanna see that creepy kid again. I think his name was Alvin.

Xyber

They have a sharpening filter in the engine and some areas can look awful unless you edit the config file and disable it. It's to make the game a bit sharper after using some sort of post process AA which blurs the image.

kinggroin

Banned
none of this looks technically earth shattering or anything, but visually it's very consistent and very sound. the second game was fantastic, so I'm really excited to get my hands on this one is well. Also, can't wait to see nvidias fur special effects put to use.

ViZ7

Neo Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing it on PS4/Xbone. If it looks good enough for me that helps justify buying a next gen console for me. Played the Witcher 2 on PC and Xbox and it was a fine port. Looked fantastic,

I hope some of the characters in Witcher 1 are in 3. 1 had almost nothing to do with 2. Shame really, I wanna see that creepy kid again. I think his name was Alvin.

You killed him at the end of the game.

Wanted to post something.. but I get a million 502 errors when posting all the time.

Basically... I have no idea why they sharpen their images so much... you can actually see black rings around objects due to the sharpening...

id be surprised if a 760 couldn't max this game at 1080p

@60fps? Not sure about that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea when this will come out? Spring? Summer? Fall?

KKRT00

All their screens look over sharpened and it drives me crazy.

Yep, its crazy oversharpened, it looks pixelated because of it.
Game also does something strange with transaparencies, a lot low res artifacts there.

Lighting looks great though, very nice color transition from lit areas to shadowed.
Lack of PoM is a little disappointing though ;\

Also everything in those screenshots is doable in 1080p on PS4, except for AA maybe.

inm8num2

Oh lawd I hope the unlimited hype for this game doesn't set unrealistic expectations. Everything has looked amazing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wanted to post something.. but I get a million 502 errors when posting all the time.

Basically... I have no idea why they sharpen their images so much... you can actually see black rings around objects due to the sharpening...

It's not in the game right, just screens? It's dumb for screens but if it's in the game it could be a huge issue for me. Nothing is worse than unwanted sharpening when you can't do anything about it (I'll be on PS4 when I play this so no mods for me).

It's not in the game right, just screens? It's dumb for screens but if it's in the game it could be a huge issue for me. Nothing is worse than unwanted sharpening when you can't do anything about it (I'll be on PS4 when I play this so no mods for me).
The Witcher 2 looked great on the 360 and I didn't really notice any sharpening, but I played a while ago. I think it should look fine :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Doubt Spring, we'd have seen some gameplay by now. Likely late summer, early fall.
Cool, thanks. I could really go for a game like this soon, but I'll I've got is a PS4. Them's the ropes with launch consoles, I guess.

There is a shitty sharpening filter that you can disable on PC at least.

It looks like these three new shots DON'T have that, but they do have some form of transparency AA that is doing some slight things to foliage and the like. But not the ugly sharpening I recall from earlier.

For some unknown reason they love their sharpen filter. Thankfully on PC you can disable that shit.

Thanks guys. I'm now official praying that CDPR doesn't force the filter on PS4.

Griffy-You're right that it's not as pronounced as before, but there still seems to be some sharpening/post-process that's creating a terrible look in the fine details. In Photoshop terms, it looks they've reduced the radius and increased the threshold, but the amount of unsharp mask is still looks the same.

Nah that's how it probably is going to be in-game considering the Witcher 2 had it too. I think it's to get rid of the blurriness that comes with FXAA.

viveks86

Lovely! With so much detail on screen, I really hope the IQ is good on consoles. Aliasing can ruin this beauty. Fingers crossed!

ViZ7

Neo Member
It was a long time ago I played the first one but I really don't recall that...

...to the wiki I go!

Alvin and Jacques De Aldesberg are the same person, it is easy to miss if you don't pay full attention during the game.^^

Durante

The trademark CDPR oversharpened subpixel detail is terrible, but other than that it looks nice. Will upgrade my GPU when this releases, it will probably need some heavy lifting to play at good IQ.

The trademark CDPR oversharpened subpixel detail is terrible, but other than that it looks nice. Will upgrade my GPU when this releases, it will probably need some heavy lifting to playat good IQ.

Could you explain why they do this? My guess is to get rid of FXAA side effects but that could be wrong.

Top Bottom