• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt screens

Thorgal

Obligatory the witcher 3 wolf gif with fur.

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Khârn

Neo Member
Looks like The Witcher 2

A lucky bastard who played the demo told me that there is indeed a big difference with TW2, not in models and facial expresion but in light and shadows, terrain size and detail, day/night transition and climatic effects. I think we can't see those details on pics :p

Oh, and orry for my english.

Khârn;63580796 said:
A lucky bastard who played the demo told me that there is indeed a big difference with TW2, not in models and facial expresion but in light and shadows, terrain size and detail, day/night transition and climatic effects. I think we can't see those details on pics :p

Evilore mentioned he saw the private demo and declared it his nonplayable game of show in the GB thread. Maybe he could shed some light on that...

nasos_333

Does not look that impressive to me

After seeing Sorcerer on PS4, these graphics seem way old

Surly looks great artistically, but technically seems strange

Savitar

Hey we've seen these ones before.

And yeah on video it does look incredible.

The thing that gets me about the Witcher is how it deals with things, doesn't feel like anything that a company in the States or Japan does and that's refreshing.

You see a few minutes of a tech demo for the latest gaming hardware, and then games like this seem way old? I´m glad I don't have that mindset. :)

We need a direct feed of the nvidia lighning and particles video comparing it to the witcher 2. Thats when you say WOW.

lol
Not even near.

Krowley

It looks indeed like The Witcher 2, but this is open world. Which is really impressive. It doesn`t have that next gen look some games had at E3 but gameplay should be best.

I totally disagree with the bolded. I think this is one of the most "next-gen" looking games at the show.

For the most part, I've felt that diminishing returns have been pretty obvious in the games for these new consoles, but this one is very special. It has the kind of graphics that make you stop and pay attention. They're beautiful from both a technical standpoint and an artistic standpoint.

In fact, I can't think of any game at the show that actually looks prettier than this, or has more eye-catching visuals.

i-Lo

Looking at this game, if they improve absolutely nothing for Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of visuals I still would call that a victory for the presentation pertaining open world games.

Then again, I enjoyed roaming the wastelands in FO3 and NV on consoles.

I'm not even sure it allows that.

It's a tech demo. I don't why people think it'd be playable. Later down the line, at least for linear games, we'll see characters as detailed as his was if not get better.

Ryoku

Sharpen moar!

Seriously, while these do look edited (sharpened) quite a bit, the textures from the game itself are probably sharpened like crazy, just like Witcher 2. Not a fan of that crappy, ultra-sharpened look.

PFD

Sharpen moar!

Seriously, while these do look edited (sharpened) quite a bit, the textures from the game itself are probably sharpened like crazy, just like Witcher 2. Not a fan of that crappy, ultra-sharpened look.

It's a filter that you can turn off in the game options.

The filter looked horrible in The Witcher 2 but it was an option you could turn off. The question will be is that setting permanently enabled on consoles.

mr_nothin

Banned
Khârn;63580796 said:

Yea, exactly. I doubt we can really see the difference in pictures of youtube videos compressed to hell. Probably a lot more atmospheric and subtle things that, when added up, make a huge difference in motion.

hatchx

Banned
This game looks god-tier. Seriously, go Polish developers. This is what I would have expected games to look like late in the Ps4 lifecycle.

Goddamn, the day this comes out if I don't have a Ps4 I'm running, literally running, to the store to get one.

PFD

rewatching the e3 trailer again. I notice after the wolf medallion at the end, with the glowing eyes. a flash screen of text goes by before the next thing. I've tried pausing a million times.

Anyone screen grab this yet? I'm going to have to search all the other Witcher 3 threads.

*edit* well that didn't take long! thanks gaf :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62364736&postcount=20

I rotated this and made the text easier to read.

Anyone else notice what they said about the 4 CGI scenes in the trailer? I think I got 3 so far.
Geralt face close-up. Men on horses. Medallion (lol?)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Eh...not really. The texture work and art direction are phenomenal, but technically it's a definite step behind plenty of games. The lighting in particular is very flat compared to some of the titles shown off at E3.

Doesn't it have 64-bit HDR? Volumetric atmospheric effects in abundance, screen-space reflections... In action, the lighting looks pretty far from flat.

Sharpen moar!

Are you saying the textures in TW2 were pre-sharpened? Source? The game had a sharpening filter, but it could be turned off (at least on PC). I've ripped the textures and played around with them and they don't look overly sharp to me. They're very detailed and tend to avoid muddying up the colours too much to 'fake' detail from a distance, but that's an artistic choice (one that I think works very well).

This and and MGSV is what is going to make me buy a new console, but I'm conflicted. I would love to get this for my PC. My gaming laptop with a 5870 ran Witcher 2 pretty well on high to max settings with a pretty good frame rate. I'm pretty sure, though, that considering the specs the PS4 would probably run it better than my current gaming laptop, but then I would have to give up mods and the awesome stuff they do for PC users. That and my PC probably won't be able to run it at greater than 20 FPS on medium settings by the time it comes out.

Torraz

Do we know anything about choices carrying forward (have not finished Witcher 2 yet).

Also, what about PS 4 players? Any indication of being able to create a savegame or if there will be a chance to answer some questions to set flags, instead of hoping for decent "default choices"?

This and and MGSV is what is going to make me buy a new console, but I'm conflicted. I would love to get this for my PC. My gaming laptop with a 5870 ran Witcher 2 pretty well on high to max settings with a pretty good frame rate. I'm pretty sure, though, that considering the specs the PS4 would probably run it better than my current gaming laptop, but then I would have to give up mods and the awesome stuff they do for PC users. That and my PC probably won't be able to run it at greater than 20 FPS on medium settings by the time it comes out.

Same here. I'm thinking about going PS 4 first and then picking up the game on PC later, for a replay, during a gog sale. Hopefully after a PC upgrade...

Amey

Two frames from that low-quality youtube video, but they demonstrate the level of improvements between the old and new renderer:

Old renderer

New one

hard to tell in that comparison.
different time of day, direction of key light. different mood.

Top Bottom