• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt screens

Elsolar

I hope they tone down the crazy sharpness filter before release... But other than that it looks great! Definitely a step up over TW2.

Daingurse

my-body-is-ready.png

I just hope my PC is ready as well. Pantene wolves, let's go!

BraXzy

I really want to start this series, I've been meaning to for so long, I'm a fan even though I haven't played. Is the first game worth playing? I really can't decide whether to invest all the time into both games or just dive into the second.. Any opinions on what to do?

Giran

i hope we can tone down that sharpness post-filter they r using.

You could disable in The Witcher 2, although only via ini editing. You'll most likely be able to do it with TW3 as well.

I really want to start this series, I've been meaning to for so long, I'm a fan even though I haven't played. Is the first game worth playing? I really can't decide whether to invest all the time into both games or just dive into the second.. Any opinions on what to do?

Yes, the first game is very much worth playing.

Those screens are a little-oversharpened (probably still using that same sharpening filter on top of their MLAA).....

But Damn! The lighting just looks so "right" in all these screens.

I wonder what kind of global relighting they are using... I think I am seeing some G in these screens on geralts legs.

Wag

What's wrong with that moose? It looks like it's on crack or something.

I think I will need to buy a 3rd Titan just to play the game.

zma1013

Could i read some summary, plot points, lore, whatever of the first game, so as to feel more prepared for the second game?

Here's a really brief summary of the basic structure of the Witcher world that I would say you might want to know before playing. Not really any story specifics from W1.

Witchers are genetically/magically enhanced humans whose basic role in the world is to kill monsters. Witchers have super strength, super speed, super eye sight and can drink toxic potions that enhance their abilities. They are generally looked down upon by most of society as if they were freaks.

There are different warring factions like humans vs. non-humans which sort of put Witchers in a odd dilemma in that they are sort of both. This is where the Witcher you play is sort of stuck in between with you determining what role he plays, if he plays one at all. This is human time where non-humans are sort of like rebels fighting against empires sort of thing. Within those warring factions there are more factions in terms of different kingdoms obviously fighting for kingdom'y stuff like land, money, and power.

That's the basic gist of the world and story structure. Want something more in depth or specific to the story, you'd probably have to Wiki it or Youtube it.

Deviation

Neo Member
It does look a lot like a slightly more polished The Witcher 2. Which I personally consider very impressive because TW2 is still one of the best looking games out there, and they're doing a *lot* more with the engine now thanks to the larger, open environments.

Consider me impressed.

I really, really want to play this game.

WiiFan

Neo Member
I'm the only one who is blown away by the foliage? Finally a game where it looks like you're in a real forest.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well from these screens it look like his hair is back to white again, good. to this day I don't get why they changed Geralt hair from white to grey in The Witcher 2.(It was clear in the novels that his hair is "white like milk" not gery like Ciri's)

Sentenza

The Witcher 2 (didn't aged graphically well by the way) used to look very good in screens but not good in motion.
That's stretching the truth A LOT.
it looks amazing in motion. It simply uses a couple of effects that apparently annoy some people a lot.

RedSwirl

Please, if anyone is kind enough to help me..

I am ready to start playing Witcher 2, without having played the first game.

Could i read some summary, plot points, lore, whatever of the first game, so as to feel more prepared for the second game?

Thanx and sorry for the off topic...

On topic, the game looks stunning!!!Now to see where will I play it!:)

Here's a really brief summary of the basic structure of the Witcher world that I would say you might want to know before playing. Not really any story specifics from W1.

Witchers are genetically/magically enhanced humans whose basic role in the world is to kill monsters. Witchers have super strength, super speed, super eye sight and can drink toxic potions that enhance their abilities. They are generally looked down upon by most of society as if they were freaks.

There are different warring factions like humans vs. non-humans which sort of put Witchers in a odd dilemma in that they are sort of both. This is where the Witcher you play is sort of stuck in between with you determining what role he plays, if he plays one at all. This is human time where non-humans are sort of like rebels fighting against empires sort of thing. Within those warring factions there are more factions in terms of different kingdoms obviously fighting for kingdom'y stuff like land, money, and power.

That's the basic gist of the world and story structure. Want something more in depth or specific to the story, you'd probably have to Wiki it or Youtube it.

Still not really spoilers at all but I would add:

The Witcher stories are more or less a mature, "real-world" look at fairy tales and European folklore (some Slavic, some fairy tales you'd be familiar with). One of the monsters described in The Witcher 3 previews for instance sounds like an evil version of Rudolph. One of the books has him dealing with a villainous version of Snow White, that kind of stuff. Witchers are basically supposed to kill these folk monsters, but the story also examines how the existence of these things affects human politics. Elves are portrayed sort of like Native Americans during the 19th century. Witchers usually try to stay neutral when monster-hunting get's them caught up in political bullshit. Some people have said it's like Game of Thrones but from the perspective of someone like Bronn.

Sentenza

I would like Geralt's armor a lot more if it didn't cinch at the waist.
I just don't like it.
Well, to be fair it's better than what most games offer, but still feels like a step back compared to the outstanding armor design in The Witcher 2.

Still not really spoilers at all but I would add:

The Witcher stories are more or less a mature, "real-world" look at fairy tales and European folklore (some Slavic, some fairy tales you'd be familiar with). One of the monsters described in The Witcher 3 previews for instance sounds like an evil version of Rudolph. One of the books has him dealing with a villainous version of Snow White, that kind of stuff. Witchers are basically supposed to kill these folk monsters, but the story also examines how the existence of these things affects human politics. Elves are portrayed sort of like Native Americans during the 19th century. Witchers usually try to stay neutral when monster-hunting get's them caught up in political bullshit. Some people have said it's like Game of Thrones but from the perspective of someone like Bronn.

Your right except maybe a better comparison would be to
replace Bronn with the a member of the night's watch?

EasyMode

I just don't like it.
Well, to be fair it's better than what most games offer, but still feels like a step back compared to the outstanding armor design in The Witcher 2.

Well I appreciate that they're at least attempting a light armor design since that's usually how I roll when I have the choice. I don't recall there being any light armor styles in the Witcher 2, but I could be wrong.

The Witcher 2 (didn't aged graphically well by the way) used to look very good in screens but not good in motion.

This is crazy talk. Witcher 2 is still very graphically impressive, and will bring most computers to their knees at ultra settings. I play this in 3D-Vision and it is an experience above most as far as immersion goes. A small number of characters are a little wooden, but the actual graphics of the folk and environments are still amazing.

Sentenza

Well I appreciate that they're at least attempting a light armor design since that's usually how I roll when I have the choice. I don't recall there being any light armor styles in the Witcher 2, but I could be wrong.
Really? As far as I can remember pretty much every single armor for Geralt was more or less a light armor. And this looks a chainmail comparable to the "heaviest" he had in the second game.
Heavy ones were just used by NPCs.

They look ... off

Everything has a very thin black outline, looks like it's cellshaded in a way.

It also looks like there's some sharpening filter or other sweet fx garbage applied to the screenshots.

I hope the final game looks nothing like this, cos it's ugly.

edit: oh a lot of people see it too... thank fucking god.

Kyaw

It's same goddamn sharpen filter from Witcher 2 which was fine. You can even turn it off.

The artifacts from jpeg compression doesn't help at all.

It's fine, stop fretting. It looks pretty damn awesome for an open world game.

Doodis

Gonna finally play Witcher 2 on 360. Is it as hard as I've heard? If I just want to experience the story am I going to get frustrated on normal?

Top Bottom