• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
By “weeby” you mean school and S.Link, SMT games has none of that.

They much more about apocalypse and your so called “friends” eventually fight against you if you reject their ideal world.
Ah sweet i might like this then😅

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ah sweet i might like this then😅
Keep in mind SMT game are much tougher games than Persona and they much more focus on combat and dungeon crawling.

I highly recommend you to give SMTIII Nocturne and SMTIV a try to see game loop of SMT series.

Danjin44

SMTV has been radio silent for soooooo long on this game and now we are consistently getting new trailer and info.

Danjin44

I just found this their official website.
uZznJBL.png

kingkaiser

She might have same role as Yuko in in Nocturne.

Dunno, I get pretty strong Law vibes from her..."Everyone calls me the Saint"...
Guy with glasses is most definitely Chaos alignment...looks like a prick and is "assertive"...the typical "strong should rule over the weak" kind of guy like Chiaki Hayasaka in Nocturne
Otaku girl might actually represent the neutral route or something similar to Isamu Nitta from Nocturne a.k.a. the "leave me alone!" ideology
The "cheerful" guy...no clue, hopefully some completely new batshit crazy reason

kingkaiser

I personally get feeling she is much important to the story than be another alignment.
More important than another alignment? I think I have never played a Megaten game where the alignment was not the most important part to be quite honest. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Danjin44

More important than another alignment? I think I have never played a Megaten game where the aligment was not the most important part to be quite honest. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What I mean is she might be reincarnation of goddess, she might be one guid us to neutral ending and we still don't know they going with traditional alignment or "Reason" from Nocturne.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Isn't that persona?
Persona 1 was a lot more SMT-like, but it's gotten less so with each subsequent game and it's fully its own thing at this point.

I haven't played a non persona SMT game in a long time. Probably since Nocturne. I am less sold on the Isekai thing as I always liked the kind of modern contemporary setting of the series but I'm at least interested.

CGiRanger

Banned
It is 11, SMT series is THE JRPG for me. I have been waiting for next mainline SMT since SMTIV and my entire reason getting Switch in the first place.

I'm looking forward to SMTV more than FF16.
Yeah, people don't realize how long SMT fans were waiting for this games, especially after the initial teaser all the way back when the Switch was first announced (or the first media conference in Jan 2017). It's been quite a long time.

Danjin44

I have no idea what's going on in this game, but those monster designs are incredible overall
In SMT those Demons are your party members and this game is all about capturing and fusing them in order build your party members and you may think it might be similar to Pokemon, SMT series has been around longer and had capturing demons mechanics from very beginning.

In SMT those Demons are your party members and this game is all about capturing and fusing them in order build your party members and you may think it might be similar to Pokemon, SMT series has been around longer and had capturing demons mechanics from very beginning.
I still dont know which came first. I think the earliest Megaten game was majin tensei on the NES. Dont know if pokemon came before that.

EDIT: It was made like 10 years before the original Pokemon.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Dunno, I get pretty strong Law vibes from her..."Everyone calls me the Saint"...
Guy with glasses is most definitely Chaos alignment...looks like a prick and is "assertive"...the typical "strong should rule over the weak" kind of guy like Chiaki Hayasaka in Nocturne
Otaku girl might actually represent the neutral route or something similar to Isamu Nitta from Nocturne a.k.a. the "leave me alone!" ideology
The "cheerful" guy...no clue, hopefully some completely new batshit crazy reason

I hope not. SMT4 was a step back in allot of ways, and returning to a boring law-neutral-chaos system is one of them.

I'm liking some of these new demon designs allot though. #46 is the standout for the grotesque factor but most of the others are also very good.

Danjin44

I'm liking some of these new demon designs allot though. #46 is the standout for the grotesque factor but most of the others are also very good.
I also really like (#48)Anahita's 3D model, I thought trying to get her water hair in 3D would be tough but its seems they managed to pull it off.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I also really like (#48)Anahita's 3D model, I thought trying to get her water hair in 3D would be tough but its seems they managed to pull it off.

Yeah, man. Just browsed through all the most recent videos, and before I posted a few minutes ago I'd have said just the designs of the last few are all good but seeing what Atlus has done in the animations too? Good stuff. Graphically this game is looking like the true successor to Nocturne.

Wrt to the demon designs themselves, I'm also impressed at the spread Atlus has achieved. Look at just 46 through 49 and the range of designs varies from grotesque horror to cute with some stylings of low-key horror to wlid and magnificent to simple and clean with a still very distinct flavor. The only one I'm not sold on is #45 which looks a little too much like an edgy pokemon, but they can't all be home runs, right?

Top Bottom