• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TWEWY coming? [Arrange album announced - includes tracks from new iOS release]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

HH gaming is dead because companies sell 6 year old DS ports for a premium price on the AppStore ?

I think it's more that people are painfully slow to realise that, as a handheld platform, iOS is just as legit as any other.

I'm sure the sequel will debut on a 'proper' platform if that makes people feel better.

Ezalc

:LOL clap.gif. SE you magnificent assholes.

Guys I thought we understood how this worked by now.

twewyioszsjii.png

Amazing.

Apenheul

I suppose the battlesystem is going to be streamlined radically for this port. I think you'll only need to control Neku and the partner will be AI-controlled. And to trigger pins you just tap them? On an iPhone I can't imagine walking around while drawing precise gestures on the screen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think it's more that people are painfully slow to realise that, as a handheld platform, iOS is just as legit as any other.

I'm sure the sequel will debut on a 'proper' platform if that makes people feel better.

It could also be a case of instead of getting a new experience on the proper 3DS handheld, instead are looking at a warmed over port on a system it was not designed for with a few new tracks added.

wrowa

If it's a port/remake, I wonder which part of the battles they are going to cut. The dual-screen battles won't work on iOS, that's pretty much impossible. So, either the top-screen or the bottom-screen has to say goodbye.

I can imagine that they are going to focus on the top-screen "minigames" with Neku partnering up with one of his partners. They are probably easier to control than Neku's pin action and they also bring more variety into the gameplay.

I suppose the battlesystem is going to be streamlined radically for this port. I think you'll only need to control Neku and the partner will be AI-controlled. And to trigger pins you just tap them? On an iPhone I can't imagine walking around while drawing precise gestures on the screen.

The iPhone display clearly is too small to show both battle systems at the same time, even if the partner is just AI controlled. Maybe the partner is fighting the same way as Neku though... walking on the same field as Neku and also attacking with Pins. That way they could bring back the dual battles too, in some way... You don't control the movements of the characters but only tap either Neku's or [Partner]'s pins.

... That sounds rather boring, though, so I hope they won't do that.

SmokyDave

It could also be a case of instead of getting a new experience on the proper 3DS handheld, instead are looking at a warmed over port on a system it was not designed for with a few new tracks added.
Do you really think that's the case though? That it was an 'either / or' proposition and they chose 'or'? That they need the same amount of time, resources and funds?

I honestly don't think that's the case, although I obviously wouldn't know either way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Do you really think that's the case though? That it was an 'either / or' proposition and they chose 'or'? That they need the same amount of time, resources and funds?

I honestly don't think that's the case, although I obviously wouldn't know either way.

Yes, yes I do, it is all about design. TWEWY is a rare game that took advantage of all of the unique features of the DS, not just touch controls but also the fact the DS has two screens.

SmokyDave

Yes, yes I do, it is all about design. TWEWY is a rare game that took advantage of all of the unique features of the DS, not just touch controls but also the fact the DS has two screens.

I know, I played it (albeit a while back). Given the mad low res of the DS, can't they just stack the screens one on top of the other? As I say, I haven't played it in a long time.

I still don't see how this iOS port means there won't be an eventual sequel, most likely on 3DS.

I'm still finding it hilarious that everyone either guessed a port or an arrange album but never thought to combine them. :lol

Either way, more exposure for the series is pretty nice. I'm really curious about how it'll work control wise, though.

If it controls well I'll buy it.

My biggest hope is that they "fix" the Shutdown PP and Mingle PP, and by fix I mean come up with an actual fun way to earn them. I hated getting engrossed into the game only to be forced to stop and menu grind off my Wii's Wifi or turn off my DS if I wanted my pins to evolve the right way. I thought that was a really stupid design.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I know, I played it (albeit a while back). Given the mad low res of the DS, can't they just stack the screens one on top of the other? As I say, I haven't played it in a long time.

I still don't see how this iOS port means there won't be an eventual sequel, most likely on 3DS.

We don't have a lot of faith in Sqaure Enix to make a sequel. Also, maybe the could do that on a iPad, although it would probably look rather horrid, I don't think the iPhone has the screen real estate to pull that trick off at all.

wrowa

You also have to control the game somehow. :p

TWEWY's battles need a pretty high accuracy, if you want to emulate that on iOS with finger controls you really need the whole screen. Otherwise it just wouldn't work.

The second screen would be useless anyway. The bottom screen is entirely dependant on touch controls, while you controlled the upper screen with the buttons of the DS. If you try to control both parts of the game with touch, it would inevitably end up in a giant mess.

It's much more likely that they will cut one part of the battles or re-do the battle system completely.

Yeah they will just streamline it. I might be alone in this but I still contend the battles were repetitive and simplistic in the original anyway. Yes there was potential depth there, but you didn't need any of it 99.9% of the time and I'm not a 'make challenge for myself for the sake of it type'.

I think it should come out pretty decent on the ipad at least given the strength of the rest of the game.

Other than that, hopefully it is release this port, get some funds and some new fans, and then make a much improved sequel with lots of dollars behind it.

Everyone should win.

SmokyDave

We don't have a lot of faith in Sqaure Enix to make a sequel. Also, maybe the could do that on a iPad, although it would probably look rather horrid, I don't think the iPhone has the screen real estate to pull that trick off at all.
Nah, you're probably right. It'll need re-working somehow. I'd forgotten how the controls worked.

You also have to control the game somehow. :p

TWEWY's battles need a pretty high accuracy, if you want to emulate that on iOS with finger controls you really need the whole screen. Otherwise it just wouldn't work.

The second screen would be useless anyway. The bottom screen is entirely dependant on touch controls, while you controlled the upper screen with the buttons of the DS. If you try to control both parts of the game with touch, it would inevitably end up in a giant mess.

It's much more likely that they will cut one part of the battles or re-do the battle system completely.
Totally forgot that's how it worked. It's also the reason I put the game down, I just couldn't get on with it at all. It'll be interesting to see how they translate it to iOS but I doubt I'll be trying it.

StuBurns

Banned
I still think it's likely we'll see a sequel, the fact they're porting it this late, and releasing an album, including them in DDD, it does seem like they're testing the waters. Bringing it to a single screen also means they could making a sequel for 3DS/Vita/Cellphones all at once.

Jawmuncher

I still think it's likely we'll see a sequel, the fact they're porting it this late, and releasing an album, including them in DDD, it does seem like they're testing the waters. Bringing it to a single screen also means they could making a sequel for 3DS/Vita/Cellphones all at once.

Then again though Nier had a Remix Soundrtack come out and all hope for that game getting a sequel is null.
But like you said the porting to iOS definetly is a indicator of something.

abasm

The iOS version will be an interesting curiosity, if only to see how badly SE will fail to adapt the game's control scheme to a single touchscreen.

The arrange album sounds pretty awesome. Will that be on iTunes, or just in the SE store?

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

(Ah, whatever, at least now more people will play Square's best game this side of Chrono Trigger. Too bad it'll be a gimped version, though. )

Aeana

If she knows something then it's probably not good news, since "this thread is painful to watch".
I'm going to be frank right here, because I don't want to lead anybody on. I knew about the iOS thing, which is what prompted my comment yesterday, but at that time I didn't know that that apparently wasn't the only thing. At this point, I know very little more than anybody else about what the countdown will bring, except that the iOS game is not the full story.

RPGamer92

Banned
I'm going to be frank right here, because I don't want to lead anybody on. I knew about the iOS thing, which is what prompted my comment yesterday, but at that time I didn't know that that apparently wasn't the only thing. At this point, I know very little more than anybody else about what the countdown will bring, except that the iOS game is not the full story.
So there could be more than just the iOS port/arrange album?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm ok with a new soundtrack release and even a port, so it will be pretty hard for this to disappoint me. Seriously my favorite game last(?) gen, I'm just happy to see that it still breathes (KH cameo, talks of possible sequel). I still remember the time when we didn't even know if we'd ever get it in English, then months later the news of the European localization. Personal system seller if this is a sequel announced for the 3DS or whatever.
lol, turns out we're getting both! Curious about how this will translate to iOS, I'll double dip anyway because I'm a sucker and TWEWY owns me. Still, it will be nice if there's more to the announcement than this like Aeana is suggesting (not holding my breath though).

Kizer

I think it is better this way in a bitter/sweet kind of sense. This game didn't need a sequel and if it did, I am willing to bet it would have been pretty bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I asked a lot when the teaser first went up and only got iOS game, so whatever it is isn't widely known.

With a normal company I'd expect a sequel, but with Square I expect a radio drama, uniqulo shirts, a social game, and "We are considering future developments if interest is shown in our current products. Please look forward to them."

hamchan

:O

The train is starting to accelerate again?

:O

The train is starting to accelerate again?

I wouldn't.

As Nirolak said, this is Square-Enix. It is just as likely to be a live concert (which would still be cool) or model poser on Android for the KH3D models as it is a new game.

Steel yourself. The world isn't that wonderful.

also

Banned

So there's still hope... I fear I'm setting myself up for another disappointment, but I can't help myself, it's TWEWY afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom