• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Switch previews, screens, details

Link_enfant

No. This looks to be slightly faster than original Super, which is glacial slow.

Recent previews confirm that the game's speed have been adjusted since the first presentation.
It's basically the same speed as Super Turbo (or II X) and HD Remix, or very (very) slightly slower but it's really fine now, though it seems it can't be modified in-game.

There's actually not much that'd required to be changed regarding gameplay and content to make the game worth in the competitive scene; fix Akuma (as he's unchanged from II X apparently, and thus broken) and remove bad changes on certain characters (Honda's been nerfed and didn't need it, while Chun-Li was also nerfed for some weird reason although she still seems viable).
Being a Switch exclusive and the Switch Pro Controller having a weird D-pad can also be considered as issues but that's another topic.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Not bad. How easy is it to buy from the SA shop?!
If your balance is at 0€, you just need to change your country in your account.

If you have funds on your eshop account, you'll need to create a new South Africa eshop account, to prevent your money from being erased.

f@luS

More than a member.
Bought it for 28 eur (Amazon France).
The game will come next week ^©^

This week you mean

Just ordered too. I wish digital would be the same price but it's not. And I like to go full digital on switch but well

Just got the game from Amazon.

It's fucking amazing. They joy-con buttons are perfect. No idea how this works but it works.

Online needs a patch though (not available yet), so no online mode for me :/

I really wish we had a controller with 6 face buttons or an arcade stick, I hate using shoulders/triggers with these games. Even on On SNES I had a 6-button controller for Super Street Fighter 2.

Way of the Hado could have been so much better if capcom looked at it from a party mode perspective. Basically, style points are given on the way you do the moves and it should be like a just dance kind of game where it forces you to stand up. I am sure the sensors are good enough to be able to pick up differences in movements. maybe the camera on the switch can be activated or something. Hell they could have even added puzzle elements to it.

I'm actually in the gallery right now. Yeah, there's a music player and you can zoom (even with the touch screen which is neat). There are 273 "pages" of art.

Whoa more than I expected!
Sounds pretty impressive, especially as I love the classic SF art.
Possiblity of buying this game on sale rising...
Thanks for the info :)

If you absolutely need Street Fighter II on Switch, go ahead. For the 30th anniversary and $40? Capcom needed to do better. The company has released Street Fighter time and time again, and this doesn't even stand up to past efforts.
My review gives it a 3/5.

why do people have such issues with the way the hd remix is designed? i know animations can be hit or miss but overall the style is pretty bad ass imo

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If you absolutely need Street Fighter II on Switch, go ahead. For the 30th anniversary and $40? Capcom needed to do better. The company has released Street Fighter time and time again, and this doesn't even stand up to past efforts.
My review gives it a 3/5.

Also no online play mentions. Was it unavailable to reviewers? Would really like to know if it's good online or barebones like TvC on the Wii was.

All that ranting about the price, but barely anything on what the game play is like and nothing on the online play.

There's a sentence complaining about "how much Nintendo is charging" for the game. But the game is published by Capcom, which has been the arrangement for Capcom games on Nintendo platforms back to the likes of Ghost Trick. Nintendo handles distribution. Not the same thing as Nintendo publishing Layton here.

Nintendo has already expressed what it thinks about releasing 23 year old games with online play - they will be released on Switch virtual console, not as £35 boxed games.

I see the frustration at the game's price, it just doesn't seem like that frustration is being voiced in the right manner in that Eurogamer review. If you consider how Eurogamer now reviews games as recommendations it makes sense to complain about the price, and in a way which isn't apples-to-apples

Castef

Banned
Also no online play mentions. Was it unavailable to reviewers? Would really like to know if it's good online or barebones like TvC on the Wii was.

On IGN Italy we reviewed it without being able to try online, due to... ehm... no server being available.

So we put a provisional rating (6.5 out of 10.0, for the curious ones).

Jazzem

This is all making me lean to waiting for a sale on the eshop down the line, value proposition is indeed shaky.

I wonder how the FGC will react to the balance changes.

wyp100

All that ranting about the price, but barely anything on what the game play is like and nothing on the online play.

There is a paragraph about the gameplay - it's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo with guard breaks. At this stage, I assume our readers know how this version of Street Fighter plays, since it's probably the most popular.

Online play unlocks on launch day, but even if it works fine, it wouldn't have changed my opinion about the overall package.

Not really sure why anyone needed a review to tell them the obvious about this title. It's looked like $40 shit in every instance it's been shown.

All the talk about the price IN A REVIEW is really annoying. We all know the price. Some people won't buy it for that reason. The price doesn't change the inherent quality (or lack thereof) of a game.

Neoxon

This is all making me lean to waiting for a sale on the eshop down the line, value proposition is indeed shaky.

I wonder how the FGC will react to the balance changes.
SFII isn't played much outside of side tournaments these days since everyone's busy with SFV, so I wouldn't really expect many to ditch Super Turbo for said side tournaments.

Effect

Kept going back and forth on this and in the end I had to cancel my order. With the motion controls being bad and that mode being extremely limited and never being a massive fan of Street Fighter (I enjoy it more then a lot of other fighting games and SF2 was the first fighting game I ever played, owned, and enjoyed) it's hard to justify the price. Even with Amazon Prime and only paying around $33 that's money that could go towards ARMS or another game. I have been seriously considering picking up one of the NeoGeo games to satisfy the 2D fighter desire I have.

I don't care about the art gallery as I'm not a big enough Street Fighter fan no matter how good the art is. Color selections isn't something that is a selling point. So it comes down to the Street Fighter game and the Way of Hado Mode. Only one of those two modes is good and acceptable and that makes it very hard to swing the $30 or $40 depending on deals. At least for me. If I was a bigger fan then maybe. I bought Bomberman R and Puyo Puyo Tetris but I love me some puzzle like games and have played them for hours now. Now if the Hado Mode was actually good that could have tipped it for me even if I still had a problem with the price.

Honestly what I'm hoping we get with the online service is a version of Street Fighter 2 that has online play. NES and SNES games with online function added was said to be coming based on Nintendo's website. So maybe we'll get that. Or Capcom rips the actual game from this package and puts it up for sale without everything else but including the online so you can connect with those that buy this. Wishful thinking i know.

in UK and Australia they are I believe

They aren't. Capcom is publishing, Nintendo is distributing.

It's a similar setup to what Sega has in Europe - Sega of Europe published Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Sega 3D Classics, but both games were distributed by Koch Media.

Man, that Eurogamer review just rubs me the wrong way. Mike Williams pretty much wrote the exact same review, but it's just so much more professional.

Seems like the entirety of the controversy here is "Is Street Fighter 2 worth $40 to you?" For me, it is. I'm looking forward to it.

They aren't. Capcom is publishing, Nintendo is distributing.

It's a similar setup to what Sega has in Europe - Sega of Europe published Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Sega 3D Classics, but both games were distributed by Koch Media.

That's good to know. This being a non-Nintendo release, the likelihood of a price bomba is that much greater.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There is a paragraph about the gameplay - it's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo with guard breaks. At this stage, I assume our readers know how this version of Street Fighter plays, since it's probably the most popular.

I've read other things about additional changes from ST. Would like to know more.

Online play unlocks on launch day, but even if it works fine, it wouldn't have changed my opinion about the overall package.
If online play is good, score remains the same for me.

It's not a great package. There's nothing online can add that can make it better, only worse.

Online play is pretty much the sole reason why I'm getting this game. I'd like to know if it's garbage and obviously there's nothing you guys can do if it's unavailable in review copies, pre-launch, but it still feels like the reviews are incomplete. I hope this wasn't a case of Capcom holding back the online play because it's broken or crappy.

Online play is pretty much the sole reason why I'm getting this game. I'd like to know if it's garbage and obviously there's nothing you guys can do if it's unavailable in review copies, pre-launch, but it still feels like the reviews are incomplete. I hope this wasn't a case of Capcom holding back the online play because it's broken or crappy.

My hope aligns with yours.

Top Bottom