• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New US Dollar coin released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/n...15feb15,0,3471340.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

NEW YORK -- The U.S. Mint rolled out its newest $1 coin at Grand Central Terminal on Thursday at an event replete with marching music and a costumed George Washington re-enactor.

As commuters bustled past on their way to work, crowds of collectors and the curious lined up at the famous station's cavernous, chandelier-adorned Vanderbilt Hall to exchange their paper money for the new coins.

"I think it's cool because we get to see a coin with the first president on it," said 7-year-old Jack Garbus, an avid coin collector and second-grader from Valhalla, N.Y. who was taking advantage of a school snow delay to be at the event.

Mint Director Edmund C. Moy presided over a ceremony complete with school children wearing colonial-style hats and wigs to kick off the coin exchange at Grand Central.

Moy stressed the educational value of the new dollar, which the Mint believes can be a big success. He also showed off its practicality by putting it into a parking meter set up on stage and getting a receipt.

"It all comes back to choice. That's what the new presidential $1 coin gives Americans," Moy said. "More choice with their currency."

The new coin is going into circulation around the country just in time for next week's celebration of the first president's birthday.

"This is quite interesting because currency was not standardized before the Constitution," said the white-pony-tailed re-enactor at Grand Central, who insisted on identifying himself only as George Washington and wore a black 18th century business suit with long coat, short pants and black stockings.

"George" _ or should that be "Mister President"? _ wondered aloud whether he should be pictured on money at all, since that was a practice of the King of England.

The Mint is making sure the coins, which are golden in color and slightly larger and thicker than a quarter, will be widely available.

So far the Federal Reserve, the Mint's distribution agent, has placed orders for 300 million of the Washington coins. Many have already been delivered to commercial banks under orders not to begin selling them until Thursday.

Leon Mathiez, 53, of Queens, who does administrative work at a brokerage house, snapped up $100 worth of the new coins. The Mint is hoping to get the coins into circulation, and Mathiez said they look durable. But he'll save his for his collection.

"When I grew up, times were hard. You learned how to hang onto a dollar," he said.

The design on the coin will change every three months, featuring a new president in the order in which they served, an idea modeled after the wildly successful 50-state quarter program. More than 125 million collectors participate in the quarter program.

Coin experts, however, questioned whether the rotating designs will be enough to allow the new presidential $1 coin to succeed where the Susan B. Anthony dollar, introduced in 1979, and the Sacagawea dollar, introduced in 2000, failed.

"I don't know of any country that has successfully introduced the equivalent of a dollar coin without getting rid of the corresponding paper unit," said Douglas Mudd, author of a new book on the history of money, "All the Money in the World."

Moy said Congress made the decision to keep the dollar bill as part of new dollar coin legislation in 2005.

After Washington, the presidents honored this year will be John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. The program is scheduled to run into 2016. A president must have been dead at least two years to appear on a coin.

A) WHY do they keep insisting we use dollar coins? They're pointless.

B) I know he's only 7, but that kid has never seen a quarter before?? Hello?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
a, because bills waste 100's of millions of dollars in cost of production
b, american schools suck

KingGondo

Banned
worldrunover said:
A) WHY do they keep insisting we use dollar coins? They're pointless.

Except it's ridiculous to circulate millions upon millions of ridiculously small denominations in paper form. I would much prefer dollar coins--it always blew my mind to think that the 2 pound coins I had in England were worth around 4 USD.

Midas

No picture?

I long for the day when there are no such thing as coins or bills. Just your credit card in some kind of way!

these $1 coins are going to fail just like every other dollar coin has, for one simple reason:

vending machines won't accept them.

Hell, even the automatic tollbooths wouldn't take those gold dollars that were released a few years ago.

(oh and plus the fact that I had $20 in those 'gold dollars' one time and went to the store and tried to use them and the store wouldn't accept them, they said they only take paper dollars. it pissed me off at the time, but looking back, it's hilarious.)

Searching the web, I found these:

picWashingtonObv.jpg

pic4Presidents.jpg

picEdgeLettering.jpg

picPresRev.jpg

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LakeEarth said:
All vending machines in Canada take $1 and $2 coins no problem. Its not like its an impossible fix.

I'm pretty sure that no one is saying that it's impossible to fix, but who is going to pay for it? The vending machines, for a dollar coin that hasn't caught on? Catch 22 - dollar coins haven't caught on because they don't work in vending machines, and they don't work in vending machines because they aren't popular enough for vending machine companies to modify their machines to allow for the dollar coin.

LakeEarth said:
I guess the only way $1 coins will catch on is if they discontinue the dollar bill.

Which would make my wallet cry. Think about it; something costs $1.20, you hand her a five. She gives you ALL COINS. Then, next time you go in, since your wallet isn't a ****ing purse, you have to use another five, or ten. MORE COINS. It would get to the point where you'd end up buying something with 20 gold coins, and you'd have to weigh an extra five pounds until you picked out something you liked.

DOLLARS!

ShowDog

Coins suck, every time I sit down they all fall out of my pocket. I don't feel like carrying a little ****ing coin purse around like Robin Hood or some shit.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Now all you americans need is:

- Unified designs for all denominations.
- Different size and color paper bills to differentiate denominations.

... and you'll have a decent, coherent, easy to use currency.

Also: get one of these, naysayers:

All my friggin' cards weigh more than the coins I usually carry in my wallet.

Rur0ni

ShowDog said:
Coins suck, every time I sit down they all fall out of my pocket. I don't feel like carrying a little ****ing coin purse around like Robin Hood or some shit.
:lol :lol

I have the same problem.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Cash is overrated and outdated. I rarely use it anymore unless I need to.

In the late 80's I spent a good amount of time in Germany for work, and one thing that was always a pain was how many coins you ended up with. It was ridiculous, I'd have 50 or 60 coins from pfennig on up in my pockets after a few days on the economy. Maybe it's different now with the Euro, but back then it was a real nuisance having to deal with all the coins.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
worldrunover said:
I know he's only 7, but that kid has never seen a quarter before?? Hello?

i bet if arcades still existed, he'd know what quarter is..

If the original poster likes dollar fvcking bills so much, why doesn't he FVCKING EAT THEM!

I hate Americans and their inability to accept goddamned metal money like the rest of the universe. "These dollar coins weigh half a pound each and carrying them in my pocket will reduce my sperm count, wah wah wah." If you want to bitch about coins, bitch about pennies and nickles, which cost the US millions of dollars a year to produce. They're like paper money, that way!

In conclusion, if you don't like the dollar coin you are a goddamned moron on par with Kansas City school board creationists in your self-delusional irreality.

White Man

American fatties could use carrying around the extra coins, anyway.

In conclusion, if you don't like the dollar coin you are a goddamned moron on par with Kansas City school board creationists in your self-delusional irreality.

Actually, there's a new standard of American moronism: Some folks in TN think death certificates should be issued for abortions! Thus the names of every person that's had an abortion would be on public record, so it will be easier to figure out whom the citizens could justifiably tie to the back of their trucks.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1784194/posts

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
One important thing to note is that these are the same dimensions as the Sacajawea dollars, so any machines that accept those will not require any retooling to accept these.

But yeah, coins fall out of my pocket. Bills don't. Bills FTW.

Also, it's hard to get a coin to stay in a g-string.

Thaedolus

If vending machines would accept them, I like the idea of dollar coins. It's kind of annoying trying to get them to accept paper bills sometimes. But like another poster said, I don't want to pay for something with a five then get all coins back. Makes you sound like a Christmas elf or something when you walk.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Coins suck and everybody knows it, not all have the balls to admit it.

Gee what's better, a few weightless slips of paper in your pocket or wallet, or a bunch of metal jingling around in your pants? And what's more likely to fall out and be lost forever? Hint: it's not five dollar bills you always find between the sofa cussions and lying on the sidewalk. BUT LOLLERZS AMERICNAS CULD USE THE ECSTRA WEIGHT UCZ THEIR SO FAT LOLO AMIRITE? Good point there Tony Little.

Coins suck rhino cock and they'll never catch on for anything above fractions of a dollar in this country, and god bless it.

In the late 80's I spent a good amount of time in Germany for work, and one thing that was always a pain was how many coins you ended up with. It was ridiculous, I'd have 50 or 60 coins from pfennig on up in my pockets after a few days on the economy. Maybe it's different now with the Euro, but back then it was a real nuisance having to deal with all the coins.
I know what you mean. When I was in europe I had to carry shit tons of coins around in my pocket and in the tiny zipper compartment of my wallet, and it was a real pain in the ass.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as an american I full on support this. I have $4 in my pocket that I am going to the bank on lunch to change out. **** bills. they should make $5 coins also.. it's called inflation people... coins are and always have been easier.. back in the day (before most of us were born) most shit was bought with coins. but as prices inflated coins grew out of favor because you couldn't buy shit with them. well bring em back... if I could buy a 12 pack with two coins instead of whipping out a bunch of paper and then getting a bunch of paper back.. **** that. coins all the way.

some americans.. yeesh... "oh no, they're taking our precious ugly inconvenient paper away!!! what will I do? Now I have this wallet that won't work anymore because I like keeping $40 in singles in it!! OH NOEZ!!!"

****ing paper currency.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
go doins go!

Taichu said:
Dollar coins don't work because no vending machines take them.

Huh? My family used to run a vending machine business and almost all of our machines took dollar coins. I haven't seen a vending machine that doesn't take dollar coins in a long, long time. Maybe they exist at some rundown laundromat, but otherwise I don't know of any that don't.

HomShaBom

Banned
ShowDog said:

This post rocks

I'm excited for these not because I want to circulate them into my everyday spending. It's just that I like to collect coins and stuff.

White Man

Do you people realize that it looks like American money is finally going to be redesigned with the blind and vision impaired in mind? Going to dollar coins is a fine first step since it means one less kind of paper money the designers will have to worry about.

I think you dirty poors just feel threatened because you are afraid you won't be able to look like a pimp with a roll of dollar bills with one 20 on the outside anymore, because there's no logical reason there should be such a sentiment against dollar coins in America, but nowhere else in the world.

LakeEarth

Shig said:
Also, it's hard to get a coin to stay in a g-string.
I know we're a bit more sexually open up here, but here in Canada a stripper will take the coin from out of your mouth using her tits so coins work fine here.

borghe

White Man said:
I think you dirty poors just feel threatened because you are afraid you won't be able to look like a pimp with a roll of dollar bills with one 20 on the outside anymore.
POTY

The only people in favor of paper money are those who want to feel wealthy. Finally I don't have to worry about not getting something from the vending machine any more because the owner of the dollar bill before me felt like wiping his ass and scraping rust off his car with the bill previously.

**** paper.

The $1 bill should be discontinued. That's the only way the coins will take off.

And screw the vending machine lobby. We need a $1 coin that doesn't feel like a quarter. Do something distinctive (octagonal, hole in the middle, etc).

TheQueen'sOwn said:
I love coins...
Nothing like opening your piggy bank to find out its worth about $200 in toonies.

no kidding.

i love toonies.

they're so surprising.

you'll reach into your pocket and you'll feel some coins and you'll think "hmm feels like about 5 dollars" and then you pull it out and it's like 10 bucks in toonies.

toonies for the god damn motherhumpin win.

JayDubya

Banned
I think I'd like dollar coins. I don't tend to carry much cash anyway, so I'd like to keep just a stack of rolled up dollar coins. I think they'd be much better suited FOR vending machines once vending machines got rehauled.

Frankly, the number of vending machines I've seen broke down that won't accept anything but a pristine and immaculate dollar straight from the mint (and even then it's liable to take 15 tries) - that component responsible for accepting dollar bills breaks down so goddamn often I would think a dollar coin would be a blessing.

Taichu said:
Dollar coins don't work because no vending machines take them.

Ive never sued a vending machine that DOESNT accept them.

Only washing machines that take only quarters dont.

Half-dolalrs are another story. If you manage to find one with a slot big enough to accept it, the coin will just drop to the return

worldrunover said:
Which would make my wallet cry. Think about it; something costs $1.20, you hand her a five. She gives you ALL COINS. Then, next time you go in, since your wallet isn't a ****ing purse, you have to use another five, or ten. MORE COINS. It would get to the point where you'd end up buying something with 20 gold coins, and you'd have to weigh an extra five pounds until you picked out something you liked.

DOLLARS!
Or you give her 1.25?

borghe

this will take poker night to a while new level...

Toss a few coins in the pot

"I see your dollar and raise you nine"

I'd like to point out that, really, the reason previous dollar coins failed was this:

a) the first one looked, like, the same as a quarter,

b) who the hell is Susan B. Anthony,

c) who the hell is Sacagawea and which President was she.

These coins will be 500% more successful than previous ones if they're obviously bigger than quarters and feature flags, bald eagles, and likenesses of Presidents.

White Man

Aristotlekh said:
I'd like to point out that, really, the reason previous dollar coins failed was this:

a) the first one looked, like, the same as a quarter,

b) who the hell is Susan B. Anthony,

c) who the hell is Sacagawea and which President was she.

These coins will be 500% more successful than previous ones if they're obviously bigger than quarters and feature flags, bald eagles, and likenesses of Presidents.

Dude, if people are REALLY asking B and C, maybe we should drop the dollar coin initiative and fix the god-damned educational system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom