• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New US Dollar coin released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
LakeEarth said:
I know we're a bit more sexually open up here, but here in Canada a stripper will take the coin from out of your mouth using her tits so coins work fine here.
:eek:

White Man said:
there's no logical reason there should be such a sentiment against dollar coins in America, but nowhere else in the world.
Coins = easy to lose, bills = not easy to lose. Not wanting to drop/lose multiple dollars through the simple and common act of sitting down seems like a plenty logical reason to me.

Maybe Europeans' pants pockets have some kind of anti-coin-spillage filter, but Americans certainly do not. Most dress pants here almost seem specifically designed to make change freely flow forth from the pockets whenever you sit.

coins are incredibly easy to not lose. all this crap about change falling out when you sit down is pretty funny. i sit down and any change in my pocket tends to stay at the bottom, it's not like it's got tiny little arms and is climbing out.

and you can easily get a wallet with a coin holders. [non existent] problem solved.

and just for the sake of argument, when a coin falls out, you can hear it almost all the time. when a dolla' bill comes out, you ain't noticin' that foo' till too late.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Shig said:
Coins = easy to lose, bills = not easy to lose. Not wanting to drop/lose multiple dollars through the simple and common act of sitting down seems like a plenty logical reason to me.

Maybe Europeans' pants pockets have some kind of anti-coin-spillage filter, but Americans certainly do not. Most dress pants here almost seem specifically designed to make change freely flow forth from the pockets whenever you sit.
Ok, I'm calling this here and now.. I have had many more instances of pulling something out of my pocket and having a loose bill follow it and fall to the floor than I EVER have of pulling something out and having a loose coin spill out. Arguably the only time I have ever had loose change accidentally spill out is when pulling BILLS out of my pocket.. go figure.

Now when you are laying about, sure, coins might spill more than dollars.. but for me when I'm laying about and my coins are spillable, I probably also have a couple cellphones, a wallet, keys, etc making laying about much more uncomfortable than just a few coins. So I empty my pockets and put everything on the coffee table or end table or something.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Oh man, I love paying for things with dollar coins. It never ceases to make people do a double take. The only time I get them, though, is when I buy a train ticket from the Metra commuter line.

Why we still carry around currency in this day and age is still beyond me. We should all have those devices that some gas stations use that goes on your keychain that you can wave in front of the pump. Instead every device like cash registers, vending machines, washing machines, etc. would accept waving the device in front of it. The only problem would be giving out tips and such or if you want to loan someone cash, etc.

ShowDog said:
Coins suck, every time I sit down they all fall out of my pocket. I don't feel like carrying a little ****ing coin purse around like Robin Hood or some shit.

I would carry a coin purse if it made me feel like Robin Hood-- in reality it makes me feel like like an old woman.

Jado

Banned
White Man said:
I think you dirty poors just feel threatened because you are afraid you won't be able to look like a pimp with a roll of dollar bills with one 20 on the outside anymore, because there's no logical reason there should be such a sentiment against dollar coins in America, but nowhere else in the world.

Or maybe some people just find coins annoying to carry in any reasonably large quantity? I know I do, same as if I were carrying twenty $1 bills.

Dollar coins are going to fail because they're pretty large, heavy and frowned upon in most stores. MTA here in NYC seems to be phasing out booth clerks and making people use the vending machines. I tend to carry my debit/credit card everywhere and purchased my fare cards this way, but what about for someone who just wants a single fare pass and is only carrying a $20 bill? The machine spits back 18 heavy, nearly useless coins. So all of you saying that the general American populace is just being fat or stupid or pimps, grow the fvck up with your arguments. The implementation is piss-poor, hence why people hate the damn things in the first place.

The coin system is stupid too but if done right I would not mind it. Pennies and nickels need to be phased out and if we're going to have dollar or multi-dollar coins they need to be as small and light as dimes. The real push however should be into making all payments electronic (debit). I use that more than anything else wherever I go, whatever I'm purchasing.

Jado said:
Pennies and nickels need to be phased out...
I don't see how pennies can be phased out when in almost every state a sales tax is applied to purchased items. Even if goods' prices are rounded more then likely the sales tax will result in a fraction of a dollar that can't be paid off by a combination of quaters, dimes, and nickels.

mollipen

Aristotlekh said:
These coins will be 500% more successful than previous ones if they're obviously bigger than quarters and feature flags, bald eagles, and likenesses of Presidents.

Dollar coins will NEVER be successful until the government gets serious about them. Stop producing dollar bills, and tell companies that they either get ready to start accepting the new dollar coins, or they'll be screwed. What reason does anybody have to use and distribute dollar coins if they're entirely optional?

Japan has up to $5 coins, and I never once had a problem with them. What's funny is that it seems like a lot of the people who are against the dollar coin are people who have never been in a place where they had such things.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dollar coins don't work, because it's been done before, and they didn't then.. nor will now. There are many resons behind it like... vending machines.. extra change in the pocket.
Beyond that, it's not trying to work. It's just another stupid novelty the mint likes to do.

If we elimiated the nickel and penny, how would a person get back 5 cents or 4 cents in change? Is the cost of every product in American gonna become an even .10?

White Man

Jado said:
Or maybe some people just find coins annoying to carry in any reasonably large quantity? I know I do, same as if I were carrying twenty $1 bills.

Why do you need more than a few single dollars with you at any given time?

shidoshi said:
Japan has up to $5 coins, and I never once had a problem with them. What's funny is that it seems like a lot of the people who are against the dollar coin are people who have never been in a place where they had such things.

I've been to Japan twice and the massive amount of coins annoys the shit out of me. I've gotten used to it, but it doesn't mean I think it's better than bills.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
White Man said:
No one needs more than a few. But when you buy crap, and get change. Like, for example, 14 dollars. You'd get back 4 big bulky coins. Over time, you'll get a lot, rather than having flat paper in your wallet.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
DeathNote said:
No one needs more than a few. But when you buy crap, and get change. Like, for example, 14 dollars. You'd get back 4 big bulky coins. Over time, you'll get a lot, rather than having flat paper in your wallet.

You'll be spending that money. It's not like you'll be using only fives or higher.

White Man

DeathNote said:

Don't exaggerate. It only says that you're writing the idea off without giving it a chance. We know these coins aren't big and bulky. No US coins, save the half dollar and silver dollar, are big and bulky. This is the real reason dollar coins have failed in the US: Americans have been told they never work, and they always believe what they are told.

Also, 4 1 dollar coins as change? Pull out a fifth and get the cashier to give you a five dollar bill. There's no reason you should ever have more than 4 of these with you at a given time, unless you are terrified of asking for change.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Phobophile said:
You'll be spending that money. It's not like you'll be using only fives or higher.
In the future at some point I would. Maybe the next day. I'd rather have 4 bills in my wallet, than have 4 coins in my pocket to fall out and roll all over the place with loose pockets.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
White Man said:
Don't exaggerate. It only says that you're writing the idea off without giving it a chance. We know these coins aren't big and bulky. No US coins, save the half dollar and silver dollar, are big and bulky.

Also, 4 1 dollar coins as change? Pull out a fifth and get the cashier to give you a five dollar bill. There's no reason you should ever have more than 4 of these with you at a given time, unless you are terrified of asking for change.
No one is a bank, you can't always have a fifth to roll out. As a cashier, people don't take time to give more change for the next highest bill in return.

So basically, according to you, everyone should make extra effort for the coins to work, instead of slipping bills in their pocket, the end?

If so, then, the people I ring up should constaly give me every piece of change they have, for me to count and give them 5 dollar bills.

Inconvenient. Wont work. Sorry.

LakeEarth

What the hell crazy store do you go to where if something costs $6, and you give them $20 and a $1 to avoid the change, they won't allow it because they aren't a bank?

john tv said:
Coins > Bills

Get with the times, America! :)

i hear dat.

you guys talking like carrying 4 dollars is going to weigh you down and make you all whiny. i routinely carry 10 dollars in loonies / toonies / quarters. i am neither weighed down nor do they roll out on me every 5 seconds.

shidoshi said:
Dollar coins will NEVER be successful until the government gets serious about them. Stop producing dollar bills, and tell companies that they either get ready to start accepting the new dollar coins, or they'll be screwed. What reason does anybody have to use and distribute dollar coins if they're entirely optional?

I would generally agree from my time in the USA. The government won't get behind the mint so anything they introduce just gets ignored. In Canada, the government put the bills ($1 and $2) out of circulation and basically forced everyone to get on the same page in short order. Sure, at first it was kind of awkward, but now the country as a whole is so wired to interac that the change weight argument is pretty hollow.

In the USA by comparison the paper bill is such an institution that retailers look down on the check cards (admittedly the situation improved by leaps and bounds by 2006, but still...)

White Man

DeathNote said:
No one is a bank, you can't always have a fifth to roll out. As a cashier, people don't take time to give more change for the next highest bill in return.

They'll learn.

So basically, according to you, everyone should make extra effort for the coins to work, instead of slipping bills in their pocket, the end?

Yep. Dollar coins are better for vending machine purposes. Dollar bills get filthy and unusable really easily. Also: see the blind thing.

If so, then, the people I ring up should constaly give me every piece of change they have, for me to count and give them 5 dollar bills.

You're a cashier. A person that looks over monetary transactions. If this is a problem for you, maybe you need a job more your level.

Incontinent. Wont work. Sorry.

You're just believing what you've been told without giving it a chance.

Can someone please explain the hard-on so many people seem to have with dollar coins? Because, "I can use them in vending machines" and "I like them" just isn't cutting it for me.

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
Can someone please explain the hard-on so many people seem to have with dollar coins? Because, "I can use them in vending machines" and "I like them" just isn't cutting it for me.

Dollar bills have an incredible short shelf life, whereas dollar coins wouldn't. Also: the blind thing.

White Man

LakeEarth said:
I dunno how you can keep saying "it won't work" when its been working fine in all the countries that use them.

Because he's been told it doesn't work. And he doesn't want to have to make change for people.

No, I think nintendo is WAY better than sony or microsoft.

Oh wait, wrong topic. Oh well, reads pretty much the same way.

I never knew there could be dollar coin/paper dollar fanboys.

White Man

JodyAnthony said:
No, I think nintendo is WAY better than sony or microsoft.

Oh wait, wrong topic. Oh well, reads pretty much the same way.

I never knew there could be dollar coin/paper dollar fanboys.

Well, plastic is better than either. . .

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
All our paper currency is going to get re-designed due to that already.

This would be one piece of paper currency that doesn't have to be redesigned then. Consider this the redesign.

LakeEarth

In my pocket right now I have a penny from 1932, and in my life I've seem them go as low as 1908, still in circulation, not even that grimey. They might cost more to make, but they only have to make a fraction of the amount per year compared to bills.

Squirrel Killer said:
Yes, but as a user of currency, how does that effect me? A dollar coin costs me as much as a dollar bill, and since I'm used to the bill, why should I switch?
It doesn't, which is why the government has to kind of force the issue to stop the waste.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
worldrunover said:
A) WHY do they keep insisting we use dollar coins? They're pointless.

:lol and millions of tourists wonder how the **** people in the US put up with their ridiculous $1 bills

JodyAnthony said:
A bill costs about 3 cents and lasts 6 months. A coin costs about 8 cents and lasts years.

White Man said:
This would be one piece of paper currency that doesn't have to be redesigned then. Consider this the redesign.
That would be a great point, except for the fact that the coin has to be designed too.

SUPREME1

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Now all you americans need is:

- Unified designs for all denominations.
- Different size and color paper bills to differentiate denominations.

... and you'll have a decent, coherent, easy to use currency.

Also: get one of these, naysayers:

All my friggin' cards weigh more than the coins I usually carry in my wallet.

Or we could just look a tthe bill and see whether it has a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 on it..

Different color bills are lame, fruity and just plain look weak compared to the mighty green back.

Imagine all the moveis you've ever seen where a large sum opf money is shown.. whether in a brief case, or flying through the air after a bank robber gets blasted and the bags go flying..

Now imagine seens like those with all kinds of colors and sizes..

WTF?

Different sizes FTL!

United_States_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse.jpg

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
A bill costs about 3 cents and lasts 6 months. A coin costs about 8 cents and lasts years.

That would be a great point, except for the fact that the coin has to be designed too.

The coin is designed. See the "today" in the thread title?

Or we could just look a tthe bill and see whether it has a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 on it..

Hell yeah, **** the blind!

White Man said:
The coin is designed. See the "today" in the thread title?
Right. The President series dollar coin. Remember how I was implying the design costs were the same? Oops, I was wrong. Redesign dollar bill = x. Design dollar coins = 39x (or more, depending on who dies in the next few years.)

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
Right. The President series dollar coin. Remember how I was implying the design costs were the same? Oops, I was wrong. Redesign dollar bill = x. Design dollar coins = 39x (or more, depending on who dies in the next few years.)

I'm fairly certain they're probably all designed, and it's not like coin orders wouldn't be made every year anyway.

Jado

Banned
White Man said:

Haven't you ever been to a store and paid for something with a $20 and gotten more singles than you expected because the cashier is out of either $5s or $10s?

Borghe, the $1 coin is useless compared to the $1 bill not in value since obviously they're worth the same. Useless in the sense that it's currently usable/accepted in many less places.

Also, as has been mentioned, it's unrealistic to always be carrying just the right amount of money to get back a single bill/coin all the time. It's also unrealistic to expect a place of business to comply everytime you do that. Expecting too much extra effort from everyone and funky workarounds to make stuff work = destined to fail.

I don't think dollar coins are unbearably heavy, just annoyingly so after being so used to carrying nearly weightless paper money. To make a transition from paper to coins easier, the new coins should be small and light, similar to the US dime.

LordMaji

Forgotten Ancient said:
I think the main problem people have with getting rid of the dollar is that they don't like change.

Honestly, that excuse makes no cents.

<.<
>.>

:lol :lol :lol

we got a god damn comedian in this bitch. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom