• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New US Dollar coin released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
White Man said:
The coin is designed. See the "today" in the thread title?

Hell yeah, **** the blind!

Yeah, cuz the blind sure would appreciate the different color bills too..

The blind should not be the determining factor when it comes to currency involving 300,000 people.

The trump card would have to be the fact that the dollar is EVERYWHERE in the world and it holds tremendous value in almost the entire world..

With that said, the U.S. could not possibly produce enough of these coins and be able to distribute them in exchange for the good 'ol greenbacks.

SUPREME1

Banned
You know what, I'm tired of this waste-of-time argument.

So, listen up you bunch of pansy Euro-wannabes..

A coin will never replace the US$1 bill..

Well, at least not in YOUR lifetime.. so deal with it. Your fantasies of coin domination are nothing than that.. fantasy.

You lose. I win.. Yes, I.. as in me.. the DOLLAR BILL loving mofo from L.A.

:) Have a nice day.

Also, the US$ Dollar Bill is..

A REAL AMERICAN HERO.

SUPREME1

Banned
HomShaBom said:
What kind of place is that?

There are literally thousands upon thousands of places like that in the U.S.

For one, B.B.Q. King on the corner of Ceasar Chavez Blvd and Figueroa St. in L.A.

You asked.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ImperialConquest said:
There are literally thousands upon thousands of places like that in the U.S.

For one, B.B.Q. King on the corner of Ceasar Chavez Blvd and Figueroa St. in L.A.

You asked.
vs. the millions that accept cards?

face it. you are scared. it's ok. really.

SUPREME1

Banned
borghe said:

Actually not, I don't get charged an ATM transaction fee when using cash.

Pwnt?!

I use a combination of both.. But I'll be damned if I have to start using a coin dollar..

My wallet is just fine without uncomfortable chunks in it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
JodyAnthony said:
wouldn't you if you were on a piece of currency destined to fail?
they won't fail, because they are infact a better system. maybe not for you personally, but it works better in general.

HolyStar

Banned
HomShaBom said:
What kind of place is that?

Flee markets, mom and pop stores, food stands and school events. Also places that won't except certain credit cards or allow a purchase to be made with a credit card that is under $5. Just imagine cashing your paycheck and getting a whole shitload of coins back. Stores won't always be carrying around $10 and $20 coins. So your going to end up with a buch of fukking $5 and $2 coins and also add how much change you get.

Sometimes your going to be carrying around $60 to $100 in cash with you and the cashier won't have $10 coins.

Paper>Coins in terms of convience anyone saying anything else has never heard of a damn wallet.

borghe said:

...Wow what if your not in a location with those millions of stores??? It doesn't matter if there are millions of places that accept cards there are several places that don't. Your going to have to use currency eventually and I don't want pockets full of change especially since I keep other stuff in my pockets like my keys and my cellphone.

Flo_Evans

how exactly is it a better system? Blind people? is that really all the coin lovers have? How many blind people are there in the US anyway? I think I have only met 5 in my life.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Flo_Evans said:
how exactly is it a better system? Blind people? is that really all the coin lovers have?
as has already been said in this thread:

harder to counterfeit
much cheaper in the long run (average lifespan of 2 years vs centuries)
less likely to be given an unuseable coin vs. note (ripped, incomplete, etc)
easier for the blind

the first two obviously being the biggest. The US economy would have a tremendous boon between less counterfeiting and a less destructable currency. the other two are matters of convenience.

besides, who here can really argue the merits of this apparent "Stripper loonie technique" being mentioned in this thread?

HolyStar said:
Paper<Coins in terms of convience anyone saying anything else has never heard of a damn pouch.
see what I did there? ;)

Flo_Evans

the one that makes sense is that its cheaper in the long run.

and I guess you never had a stripper lift a dollar bill off your nose with her labia?

LakeEarth

I just don't understand why people are thinking their pockets will be overflowing with coins. I have $3.75 in my pocket right now and that's 5 coins.

No, YOU suck.

The coin will replace the dollar bill in our lifetimes. Let's do it fast and get it over with. I heart dollar coins so very much.

LakeEarth said:
I just don't understand why people are thinking their pockets will be overflowing with coins. I have $3.75 in my pocket right now and that's 5 coins.

You use 50 cent pieces?

A line needs to be drawn in the sand: Take my dollar bills. But don't make me contend with 50 cent coins as well.

borghe said:
besides, who here can really argue the merits of this apparent "Stripper loonie technique" being mentioned in this thread?

Paper<Coins in terms of convience anyone saying anything else has never heard of a damn pouch.

see what I did there? ;)

Are you equating a vagina to a coin purse? Is that what you did there?

Let's just eliminate money altogether. Instead, we should all have currency cards that are updated live. Want to give somebody some money to pick you up a pack of smokes? Just transfer the money to their account online. Want to give a quick and easy present? Transfer money - sure beats gift cards.

The only way this system would work is if we weren't charged a fee to use our currency cards. But, I'd be all for it. I don't like bills and I especially hate coins.

As for the blind argument...I used to work in retail and I never had a blind person pay with cash. They always had a card form of currency - either an atm or debit or a government issued card (like the food stamp cards).

But, if we're not to use card currency...screw coins. My coins being worth $1-$5-$10 will just get really annoying. I carry a few coins in my wallet, but even then it gets lumpy and money falls out.

I just dont understand the open hostility.

The current system allows us to use a bill when we want, and a coin when we want.

Sometimes the coin is better than the bill (machines), sometimes the bill is better than the coin (change).

Just because Canada goes with the "youre with or youre against us" logic, doesnt mean we should

Vexidus

Forgotten Ancient said:
Let's just eliminate money altogether. Instead, we should all have currency cards that are updated live.

Yeah, as much as I like different types of bills and coins to have/look at, I really like this idea. A super debit card with biometric authentication like a fingerprint scan so theft of the card wouldn't be much of a concern.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like coins... a lot.

I think it's funny how pissy americans get about their money.

Ideally, we should just abolish the use of pennys and dimes.

They've become virtually obsolete after decades of inflation and are really just a hassle.
Everything can easily just be rounded to the nearest 5 cents. Sometimes you'll pay 3 cents more, sometimes 3 cents less. The net effect is zero for both consumers and sellers.

.05 coin
.25 coin
$1 coin
$5 coin or bill
$20 bill
$100 bill

That's really all anyone should ever need. Anything that requires bills larger than $100 probably should be not be handled with bills anyways.

SUPREME1

Banned
borghe said:
as has already been said in this thread:

harder to counterfeit
much cheaper in the long run (average lifespan of 2 years vs centuries)
less likely to be given an unuseable coin vs. note (ripped, incomplete, etc)
easier for the blind

the first two obviously being the biggest. The US economy would have a tremendous boon between less counterfeiting and a less destructable currency. the other two are matters of convenience.

see what I did there? ;)

Pfft.. pouch?!

F that. That shit is ghey.. pouches are for the birds.. err, kangaroos.

Men use wallets, not purses.. well at least REAL AMERICAN HEROES do anyway.

Karakand said:
Not United States-Age thinks the United States should be exactly like Not United States-Age.

And why does United States not want coin, even though dollar coins have been around forever?

Its not like they were new in 2000. Its not like they were new in 1975 either.

SUPREME1

Banned
jamesinclair said:
And why does United States not want coin, even though dollar coins have been around forever?

Its not like they were new in 2000. Its not like they were new in 1975 either.

Exactly, they've beeb here before (still are to some degree) and look how awful their acceptance has been.

Glass Joe says: Don't mess the hair and definitley not the currency.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I carry my coins in my wallet. No problem. Well, unless you got like 20 coins. And here it's pretty common to do some exchanging while buying. If buy for 73 and I pay with a 100, I just add 3 coins if I got it and voila - I get 30 back. No coins, and I relieve myself of a few.

We stopped using 1 dollar (or rather, our counterpart) bills like ten years ago.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One dollar coins don't work because strippers won't accept them.

How will it look throwing coins at the stripper as see shakes her money maker in your face? :lol

stripper101.jpg

STG!

Jado said:
The machine spits back 18 heavy, nearly useless coins.

Whenever I do the bar crawl and take the train I try to get rid of those dollar coins as fast as I can. Always fun dumping them all in the first bar I go into.

ImperialConquest said:
Exactly, they've beeb here before (still are to some degree) and look how awful their acceptance has been.

Glass Joe says: Don't mess the hair and definitley not the currency.

Then I dont get the bitching. The government isnt forcing them on anyone, just providing the option.

If the coins didnt exsist, vending machines would simply not give change. Thats were 99% of us get our dollar coins from.

I like both $1 coins and $2 bills. But, just try and get a bank to give you either. They were always stingy with the Sacajawea coins as they were afraid numismatists were hoarding them, and they never have $2 bills.

I also think the demonic look of the men on the coins is just a bad angle. I noticed this with the new Jefferson nickel.

Troidal

I personally hate it if the new $1 coin is almost the same size as the quarter. The ones they had few years ago was exactly that...confusing as hell if you are in a rush.

And didn't they have half dollars long time ago? That was a much bigger coin too.

Azih

I heard that in the 70s the American government tried to switch to the metric system and people came out and shot down the KM/H speed limit signs with shotguns.

So uh, yeah, the dollar bill coin might be a tough sell.

Srsly people sometimes change is good. I mean honestly 1 km = 1000 m. I have no idea how many damn feet are in a mile.

Azih said:
I heard that in the 70s the American government tried to switch to the metric system and people came out and shot down the KM/H speed limit signs with shotguns.

So uh, yeah, the dollar bill coin might be a tough sell.

Srsly people sometimes change is good. I mean honestly 1 km = 1000 m. I have no idea how many damn feet are in a mile.

5 thousand and something. The point is that's WHAT IT IS. I don't know why or how or when it happened. But it did. And we like it!

Honestly, could you bare to hear something like "Tomlinson ran for over 100 meters in yesterday's game?" I don't think so.

I think it's ironic we call it the English system when they don't even use it in England (right? They use metric there?).

Karakand

Azih said:

Yes, that's exactly what happened.

I was in elementary school when they were trying to introduce the metric system. I remember watching some creepy PBS show of puppets with real human heads and the villain was the "Inch Worm." The only remnant of the metric system that stuck around is the 2-liter bottle.

dem

mckmas8808 said:
One dollar coins don't work because strippers won't accept them.

How will it look throwing coins at the stripper as see shakes her money maker in your face? :lol

stripper101.jpg

Come to Canada and see what we do with the dollar coins... :D

tnw

Banned
I've learned to accept coins. I think acceptance of the one dollar coin is critical for americans to learn how to spend it. Coins=garbage in the US right now.

Seriously, most major purchases over $20 are made with credit cards. when you buy something stupid like a slice of pizza, you have to take out your wallet, flip through a huge stack of one dollar bills. If you had like 2 dollar coins in your pocket, you could just whip them out and pay for it. No need to get the wallet out.

I bet americans would start paying with exact change more often too, and wouldn't hoard huge amounts of 'junk cash'.

Troidal said:
I

And didn't they have half dollars long time ago? That was a much bigger coin too.

Theyre actually "common". More half-dollars were made in 2003 than dollar coins.

I spend them and people think theyre dollar coins.

Troidal

jamesinclair said:
Theyre actually "common". More half-dollars were made in 2003 than dollar coins.

I spend them and people think theyre dollar coins.

I didn't know it was still "common".

So now we got quarters, half-dollars, and one-dollar for mix and match? Awesome!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Always amusing to see Americans discussing how something "can't work, too many problems, etc" when it already works fine in other countries.

Just admit that you don't like it because America wasn't doing it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom