• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New US Dollar coin released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BocoDragon said:
Always amusing to see Americans discussing how something "can't work, too many problems, etc" when it already works fine in other countries.

Just admit that you don't like it because America wasn't doing it before.

What?

I don't care if America was the first to change to dollar coins, I don't like it. Like I said earlier, just give me a currency card. Almost all of my purchases are made by debit already.

BocoDragon said:
Always amusing to see Americans discussing how something "can't work, too many problems, etc" when it already works fine in other countries.

Just admit that you don't like it because America wasn't doing it before.

Canadian dollar coin first issued in 1987

US dollar coin: 1794

A more modern example

Seated_liberty_dollar_obverse.jpg

Oh right, Canada didnt even have a currency until 1854. Look whos backwards now.

Tarazet

DeathNote said:
No one is a bank, you can't always have a fifth to roll out. As a cashier, people don't take time to give more change for the next highest bill in return.

So basically, according to you, everyone should make extra effort for the coins to work, instead of slipping bills in their pocket, the end?

If so, then, the people I ring up should constaly give me every piece of change they have, for me to count and give them 5 dollar bills.

Inconvenient. Wont work. Sorry.

I give cashiers every bill and coin I can to make the amount of change rounder, if I want to get rid of coins. If I want to get more for bus fare, I give 'em a $20 and let them take care of it. I worked as a cashier while I was in school. People did both, and I had no problem with either. And they gave me gold dollars too, since the parking machines would spit 'em out as change for a $10.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
jamesinclair said:
Canadian dollar coin first issued in 1987

US dollar coin: 1794

A more modern example

Seated_liberty_dollar_obverse.jpg

Oh right, Canada didnt even have a currency until 1854. Look whos backwards now.

limited prints dont count

150px-Voyageur.jpg

here's a canadian dollar from 1935 (obviously from an alternate reality)

we're talking widespread use with no other alternatives

cvxfreak

I support this move with a passion.

Japan has 100 Yen and 500 Yen coins. Mega convenient for their subway system and small purchases. And in Japan, you could be a guy and still have a side purse and coin purse without being accused of being gay. FTMFW

White Man

cvxfreak said:
I support this move with a passion.

Japan has 100 Yen and 500 Yen coins. Mega convenient for their subway system and small purchases. And in Japan, you could be a guy and still have a side purse and coin purse without being accused of being gay. FTMFW

At least here in Seattle, like 90% of men have some sort of big laptop case/manpurse/whatever anyway. These people bitching about shit falling out of their pants need to get with the program.

Pikelet

Holy ****ing shit. The truth is that the general American populace doesn't like it because it seems new to them. Change = bad etc.

If you actually checked how many one dollar bills you have in your wallet right now i doubt very much that you will have over 5, let alone 18 or so :lol

Pikelet

Dollar coins are fine. They work great here in Canada.
Same here in Australia, the way i see it coins aren't even real money. When i buy food or whatever with coins it feels like i am basically getting something for free and that rocks.

Dollar coins are going to fail because they're pretty large, heavy and frowned upon in most stores.

??? I get a lot of dollar coins from taking public transit everywhere, and I've never once in my life gotten any trouble from store clerks when using them.

Octagon

This thread is hilarious. :lol

Anyways i would probably get annoyed by 1 $ bills pretty fast if i lived in the States.
For the record, i rarely loose coins. But think of it like this: if people are bound to loose coins easier, than you are bound to find them lying around everywhere.
Finding free money rules!

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Octagon said:
This thread is hilarious. :lol

Anyways i would probably get annoyed by 1 $ bills pretty fast if i lived in the States.
For the record, i rarely loose coins. But think of it like this: if people are bound to loose coins easier, than you are bound to find them lying around everywhere.
Finding free money rules!

Yeah - much bettr than finding that money which you have to pay for :p

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Coin movement rising!

fwiw, I stopped by a bank on the way home last night and changed out my $3 for coins. I plan on spending them today. and wherever I go now I am going to ask for my change back in dollar coins.

**** bills.

Who carries coins? Is there planning involved? For instance, do you have a specific combination of coins that you put in your pocket each morning before you go out for the day?

All of my coins end up in a change cup. When the cup is full, I take it to the bank and cash it out for grown up money (i.e. bills); usually around $50 or so. Now that I think about it, a widespread shift to dollar coins would increase the typical yield of my change cup by... a lot maybe.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
ConsumerSquare said:
Who carries coins? Is there planning involved? For instance, do you have a specific combination of coins that you put in your pocket each morning before you go out for the day?

All of my coins end up in a change cup. When the cup is full, I take it to the bank and cash it out for grown up money (i.e. bills); usually around $50 or so. Now that I think about it, a widespread shift to dollar coins would increase the typical yield of my change cup by... a lot maybe.

Yes, because magically, if you don't have your change cup, you don't have that mysteriously appearing $50 you're accustomed to.

SUPREME1

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Then I dont get the bitching. The government isnt forcing them on anyone, just providing the option.

If the coins didnt exsist, vending machines would simply not give change. Thats were 99% of us get our dollar coins from.

My post was directed at those who want the bill fazed out completely.

I'm perfecly fine with the way it is now.. How I can completely shun the dollar coin and be at peace.

SUPREME1

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Then I dont get the bitching. The government isnt forcing them on anyone, just providing the option.

If the coins didnt exsist, vending machines would simply not give change. Thats were 99% of us get our dollar coins from.

My post was directed at those who want the bill fazed out completely.

I'm perfecly fine with the way it is now.. How I can completely shun the dollar coin and be at peace.

teiresias

I just dislike change because I hate hearing it clink around in my pocket as I walk. I'm far to suave, sophisticated, and hot to be sounding ridiculous as I strut around my building at work with change rattling in my pocket because all of my $1 are now in coin form.

Dollar coins also make it easier for vending machine operators to justify raising prices because, psychologically, a $2 drink is now only two coins instead of two bills or a larger amount of smaller coins.

SUPREME1

Banned
Pochacco said:
American money sucks

I can guaran-F*CKING-ty that you in your lifetime have used American currency..

The good old green-back was exchanged by you for some goods.

I can also guarantee that I have NEVER used your currency and never had to.

American money still has value around the world..

Try using a Euro or Canadian Dollar or even an English Pound at a local market in South America, Africa, SouthEast Asia, or even in the U.S. and see what kind of looks you recieve..

Lol, American Money owns your soul.

teiresias said:
I just dislike change
I think that's the core problem here.

EDIT: In a sense, I understand and respect why the US hasn't embraced the dollar coin. It's because we like our dollar bills just fine, and why the hell should we let the government force something we don't want down our throats? It's an admirable quality. In a broad sense, it's what makes this country great. America: fuck yeah.

However, the dollar coin is without question the better idea. And one of two things is going to happen:

- The dollar becomes so completely worthless that everybody figures out that it might as well just be a coin;
- The government discontinues the bill anyway and people just get used to it;
- BONUS THIRD OPTION: Dollar-coin proponents go on an educational bender and attempt to convince their fellow Americans why they should embrace the president-heads.

Why do you think the Mint keeps introducing dollar coins? Because they know that eventually, it's got to catch on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kobun Heat said:
- The dollar becomes so completely worthless that everybody figures out that it might as well just be a coin;
this to me is really the biggest point. The dollar is near worthless. Crap, it can't even get you half a gallon of gas anymore. Hell, it can't even get you a loaf of bread outside of your generic store brand white bread. The dollar bill was cute when it meant something. When having half a dozen in your pocket actually meant something. but really. to quote barney on How I Met Your Mother:

"So this is a fifty? Wow, I can't believe they haven't made this into a coin yet."

That about sums it up for the dollar.

Mashing

Why do people want to carry around heavy, bulky coins? When I have coins in m y wallet or pockets it bugs the hell out of me. I always remove my coins and put them in a change cup (and separate the pennies). **** the $1 coin bullshit, I'll never use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom