• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New US Dollar coin released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
White Man said:
I'm fairly certain they're probably all designed, and it's not like coin orders wouldn't be made every year anyway.
Ok, so you're saying that the dollar bill redesign = x and dollar coin design = y and that x > 39y? No offense, but I'd like to see a cite on that.

White Man: Will you stop trying to act like the only reason people carry dollar bills is because they like to feel wealthy and hate on blind people? It's ridiculous. You want to help the blind? How do they tell a 5 and a 10 apart? Or a 20 or 100? Make the bills different sizes if you're so concerned with them.

And that's fine if you all want to save the trees and whatnot (even though dollar bills aren't made from paper. The More You Know...) but if you're trying to tell me that bills are no more/less convenient than coins, you're insane. Coins can be lost easier, are harder to carry on your person, and take up more room in your pants.

The US isn't exactly one to care about the environment, and blind people have survived this long on our current system, so I'm assuming there's another reason the US would want to switch. And don't say "the rest of the world is doing it." I don't care if you have to carry around fistfulls of looneys. I'll worry about that when I'm in Canada.

White Man

Fine, you people are retarded. I am going to make sure I wipe my ass with every single dollar bill that comes into my position. ENJOY YOUR HEPATITIS, DIRTIES!

White Man said:
Fine, you people are retarded. I am going to make sure I wipe my ass with every single dollar bill that comes into my position. ENJOY YOUR HEPATITIS, DIRTIES!

You could just as easily stick coins up there ;)

White Man

worldrunover said:
You could just as easily stick coins up there ;)

That inevitably leads to awkward questions in the emergency room :(

One time I did tell B'zchan to stick like 10 rolls of quarters in his ass, go to the ER, and poop them all out on the investigating doctor while yelling "VEGAS BABY, VEGAS!"

Javaman

pic4Presidents.jpg

SteveMeister said:
Wow, those are all horrible likenesses. Ugliest US coins ever.

You've got that right...

skeksis2le3.jpg

You could do it, go to the ER, shit one out and scream "I EAT BILLS AND SHIT COINS!" I don't know if you'd persuade anyone, but you'd be convenient for conversions.

On a side note: train stations ALWAYS give you dollar coins back from the automated machines, yet the parking meters IN THE SAME STATION don't accept dollar coins (only quarters). If that's not the gov't giving us the finger, what is?

White Man

worldrunover said:
On a side note: train stations ALWAYS give you dollar coins back from the automated machines, yet the parking meters IN THE SAME STATION don't accept dollar coins (only quarters). If that's not the gov't giving us the finger, what is?

Duh, they don't want the terrorists to actually be able to escape the train station.

FnordChan

Count me in with the pro-dollar coin contingency. This time it looks like they may have a bit more luck, if only because of the collecting frenzy over the U.S. State quarters, some of which will carry over to the new presidential coin. If this provides the foothold necessary to popularize the coin, thank god. Give it a few years of increased visibility and circulation and perhaps Congress can finally pass a bill eliminating the one dollar bill. I'm not counting on this, mind you, but it would be nice.

Either way, I look forward to spending Millard Fillmore coins as much as possible when they're released. 2010, here I come!

FnordChan

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the main problem with dollar coins believe it or not has NOT been the population I don't think. It HAS been the government. Even if the coin haters in this thread were given $1 coins, what do you think they would do with them.. USE THEM! The problem is that the $1 coin has always been a novelty in the US, and banks etc treat it as such. If when you or a store went to the bank and were given $1 coins by default instead of bills, it would work. Instead you have to specially ask for them. As long as that is the case it won't work. Like I said, even the haters would convert over if they were given coins by default over bills.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
White Man said:
Do you people realize that it looks like American money is finally going to be redesigned with the blind and vision impaired in mind? Going to dollar coins is a fine first step since it means one less kind of paper money the designers will have to worry about.

I think you dirty poors just feel threatened because you are afraid you won't be able to look like a pimp with a roll of dollar bills with one 20 on the outside anymore, because there's no logical reason there should be such a sentiment against dollar coins in America, but nowhere else in the world.

think of the strippers...

LakeEarth said:
I know we're a bit more sexually open up here, but here in Canada a stripper will take the coin from out of your mouth using her tits so coins work fine here.

sold! f*ck dollar bills!

FnordChan

borghe said:
the main problem with dollar coins believe it or not has NOT been the population I don't think. It HAS been the government.

Oh, sure. The easiest way to acclimate Americans to the dollar coin is to withdraw the dollar bill from circulation. It's a smart, cost-saving move that isn't overly popular, thus congress won't do it.

FnordChan

SickBoy

Coins are way better. Every time I go to the States two things invariably happen:

1) I wind up with a George Costanza wallet of $1 bills. I definitely use small-denomination paper less than $1 or $2 coins.

2) I'm disgusted by the state of the $1 bill. It depends on the individual bill, but I always get a few that make me wonder if White Man hasn't gone further than just threatening to wipe his ass with them.

Seth C

borghe said:
as an american I full on support this. I have $4 in my pocket that I am going to the bank on lunch to change out. **** bills. they should make $5 coins also.. it's called inflation people... coins are and always have been easier.. back in the day (before most of us were born) most shit was bought with coins. but as prices inflated coins grew out of favor because you couldn't buy shit with them. well bring em back... if I could buy a 12 pack with two coins instead of whipping out a bunch of paper and then getting a bunch of paper back.. **** that. coins all the way.

some americans.. yeesh... "oh no, they're taking our precious ugly inconvenient paper away!!! what will I do? Now I have this wallet that won't work anymore because I like keeping $40 in singles in it!! OH NOEZ!!!"

****ing paper currency.

I think the point of the complaints, really, is that paper money is a ****TON more convenient. Do you carry a purse? I don't. Damn it, I don't even like having a wallet in my pocket! What takes up more space? I guarantee 5 $1 bills is more convenient to carry around than 5 of those awful coins. I have better things taking up space in my pants. Maybe those of you with tiny man parts have the room to spare, but I need all the extra room in my pants for my huge cock. :)

anyone that mentions how they have a 'huge cock' online automatically has a very small one.

Me? I am on the lower side of average. Dont bother me none.

bjork

If these coins can make it to where people don't give me sour milk face when I give them sacajaweas as change, I'm for it.

But at the same time, I don't like a bunch of shit jingling in my pocket like someone's grandpa, so I'll just use my atm card more :p

Seth C

JodyAnthony said:
anyone that mentions how they have a 'huge cock' online automatically has a very small one.

Me? I am on the lower side of average. Dont bother me none.

It was a play on all the e-ween wagging going on in this thread, only... completely and painfully blatant. Mine is just a bit larger than what is supposedly average, but certainly nothing anyone would call huge.

Seriously though, I really do hate carryign coins around. Anytime I have them I waste them purchasing something I do not really need and wouldn't otherwise purchase in an effort to get rid of them. I'm sure many others do something similar. So, obviously the government wants these things in circulation. It means more frivolous spending.

I make every effort to function completely without any currency on my person. I carry only enough cash to use in the event that I cannot use my credit/debit card somewhere. Storing a few bills with my two plastic cards (ID and debit) is much more convenient than carrying a few metal coins.

debit cards are the way to go. Mark of the beast or no, the day imbedded microchip debit swipe things come into existance I'm getting one installed.

kennah

When I was in the states I found it much more inconvienant to have handful's of paper bills instead of a few coins. Also I know of a few times where bills have fallen out of my pocket when pulling out my cellphone or keys or something. (it did lead to an interesting adventure in Kitchener/Waterloo where I thought it was my lucky day since I kept finding all these 20's and 5's on the street.... until I realized they were mine that I'd dropped about 15 minutes before).

For me, it's way easier to reach into my pocket and feel the edge of a coin and pull out exactly what I need, rather than flip through a book looking for the right page.

As a Canadian I know all too well the annoyance of coinage. I hate 5 dollar units being the smallest in bill form. Carrying around Loonies and Toonies is lame.

kennah said:
When I was in the states I found it much more inconvienant to have handful's of paper bills instead of a few coins. Also I know of a few times where bills have fallen out of my pocket when pulling out my cellphone or keys or something. (it did lead to an interesting adventure in Kitchener/Waterloo where I thought it was my lucky day since I kept finding all these 20's and 5's on the street.... until I realized they were mine that I'd dropped about 15 minutes before).

For me, it's way easier to reach into my pocket and feel the edge of a coin and pull out exactly what I need, rather than flip through a book looking for the right page.

Why the hell don't they just colour their money?! Damnit, it's so simple.

Karakand

Debit / alternatives like Octopus >>>>>>>>>> cash

Who gives a **** about being like the rest of the world when the rest of the world is bass ackwards? We should be eliminating the use of hard currency, not adding to it. Go to hell, coins. Go to hell, paper money.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BobFromPikeCreek said:
As a Canadian I know all too well the annoyance of coinage. I hate 5 dollar units being the smallest in bill form. Carrying around Loonies and Toonies is lame.

no way :lol

Toonie rocks! hater! down with the $2 bill

bjork

Karakand said:
Debit / alternatives like Octopus >>>>>>>>>> cash

Who gives a **** about being like the rest of the world when the rest of the world is bass ackwards? We should be eliminating the use of hard currency, not adding to it. Go to hell, coins. Go to hell, paper money.

where the hell is your bear?! :eek:

Dollar bills are for shit and this is great.

However, these coin designs are ass-ugly. Like they're not even trying. Look at the Morgan dollar:

morgan_dollar.jpg

Flo_Evans

I didn't realize this was such a heated debate :lol

since we ALREADY have dollar coins why don't you people that like them just use them, then the people that like bills just use those?

FREEEDOM!

Jado said:
O but what about for someone who just wants a single fare pass and is only carrying a $20 bill? The machine spits back 18 heavy, nearly useless coins. So all of you saying that the general American populace is just being fat or stupid or pimps, grow the fvck up with your arguments. The implementation is piss-poor, hence why people hate the damn things in the first place.

So 18 coins is horrible.

Yet the alternatives would be

a) No change given
b) 72 quarters.

Much better!

Next argument:

"I give a 5 and get back 4 coins, wah, wah"

Inflation says its time to move on

US_%242_obverse.jpg

JodyAnthony said:
http://www.poorchef.net/2dolla.jpg][/QUOTE]

Why useless?

I just gave a scenario in which it comes into great use.

Also, a $2 coin would suck. Canada only sues it because their currency is worthless.*

*Dont bother brining in exchange rate numbers. try to buy a barrel of oil in canadian currecny

HolyStar

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Or you give her 1.25?

Why don't you guys just put a crip dollar bill in the vending machine??

Seriously coin money would suck ass. I don't give a damn if the rest of the world uses it or not I don't want to carry a bunch of fukking coins in my pocket. Lets just try to move everything to debit.

SickBoy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
No, it sucks! Especially when Tim Hortons refuses to get debit machines. God damn you, Tim Hortons.

Out west, Tim Hortons has debit. Although Tim Hortons is a cult and you should seek help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom