• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wolfenstein: The New Order previews, screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamword

Neo Member
I never played the 2009 Wolfenstein, but Return to Castlewolfenstein had some stealth ability. There were a few sections in the game that, with great skill or luck, you could stealth your way through, and one or two more that required it.

In a few sections, yep, but in W:TNO stealth is an option in all sections of the game

Probably in day one if reviews are at least a 7. Love the fact that it has a story, yet isn't super serious. Games can be B movies or 80s action flicks. Game looks like it too full advantage of the delay

Phosphor

Wait, if B.J. Was in a "coma" or whatever for 14 years how is he able to do all that crazy FPS stuff? Wouldn't muscle atrophy turn him into a skeleton man?

Deathshead injected him with nanites that exercised his muscles. Also, it's a game, and not the real world?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, if B.J. Was in a "coma" or whatever for 14 years how is he able to do all that crazy FPS stuff? Wouldn't muscle atrophy turn him into a skeleton man?

BJ received epic exercise during the fight against mecha-Hitler at the end of Wolf3D. 14 years of atrophy is nothing for him.

Sold. Day one. Sounds amazing, gunplay looks amazing and everything I've seen is amazing.

Seems like it will scratch that FEAR itch that hasn't been scratched in such a long time now.

Honey Bunny

You've got a little red on you
wolfenstein_gibs_by_digi_matrix-d77vvdm.gif

killzone2.gif

Raptor

The last week i can play the game for my cover in spanish site akihabarablues and i liked it so much.

The old school things like de med-kits, the multiple roads on the maps and the new things in Wolfenstein like de stealth kills do this game special and cool.

Sorry for my bad english bros, i hope you can understand me.

Nice preview, not that great textures are not a big deal to me either, also really glad to hear the DS4 is awesome for playing this.

What can you tell me about the gore and stuff? arms and legs and torsos all flying with buckets of blood?

:p

Rage works perfectly in 2.35 on PC so I wouldn't be surprised if this game works as well.

Wait rage was fixed? when?

fixed fixed or fixed for your particular config and driver combination?

ot: did they just say the gamespeed is tied to the framerate? that's a pretty fundemantal dealbreaker for me

BBboy20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P8xgMRROoKI#t=391

I really like how they did facial animations and framing of the captured officer.
Duel wielding snipers? That needs to be a bulletpoint to sell. Seriously. Oh wow, the art design in the castle is nostolgic all over

Shadows are so black you can cut it.

Wow, when did BJ get so efficient with a knife? I think these are the best I've seen since...Riddick...

The hit feedback on human enemies looks good, as does all that ridiculous dual wielding. I have no doubt that the characters + voice acting will be entertaining, so my only reservations as of now are how intrusive the cutscenes are and how meaty the game will be in content. I still think that leaked footage from QuakeCon (?) of BJ fighting his way across some kind of bridge in a lengthy stretch of gameplay is the best the game has looked so far, and I hope they've built many sections like that.

If they're actually going for that genuine B-movie, grindhouse flavor instead of a purely comedic homage to the style, tone shifts should be seen as a good thing. There's no reason the game shouldn't be able to take itself seriously at points while still being completely over the top. When it starts to feel at odds is if the game becomes referential, or pokes fun at itself because "lol Nazi dogs and experiments." That's when you'll start to feel like "Well if the game isn't buying into any of this, what's the point of the more serious/gruesome sections?" That is unless it's looking inward at the genre and trying to make a point, which i don't think is the goal here.
I think Starbreeze devs are naturally inclined to be that dark and serious in a way which is why there this whole emphasis on high-productions on the cut-scenes. If this game's narrative is a success, then Machine can basically interject their way of storytelling ot any franchise or genre at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reinstalling Wolfenstein '09. Need a fix.

antitrop

This guy doesn't know the joy of RTCW multiplayer, the greatest MP in an fps ever.
RTCW was from a different era of game development. I think modern game budgets and scope are just too huge to be able to provide both a compelling SP campaign and excellent MP suite together. Some few games can pull it off, like The Last of Us, but that's so, so rare.

I'm hoping games in this generation will be more solely-focused on SP or MP, and I think they will be better for it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This guy doesn't know the joy of RTCW multiplayer, the greatest MP in an fps ever.

RTCW had Splash Damage to make the Multiplayer. The last thing they've done is Arkham Origins' multiplayer, and I don't know if it was any good. Before that was the poor wasted potential that was Brink.

RTCW had Splash Damage to make the Multiplayer. The last thing they've done is Arkham Origins' multiplayer, and I don't know if it was any good. Before that was the poor wasted potential that was Brink.

It surprised me that people think of RTCW more than the original Wolfenstein when they hear about, you know, Wolfenstein. But I can see why, though.
You guys that want Wolfenstein '09 on PC, it's on Steam for...oh...

:(

RTCWs multiplayer was made by Raven.

Enemy Territories (by the then mod team which would become Splashdamage) was a non-vanilla gamemode introduced as a mod.

I always preferred the vanilla gameplay to be honest.

Ragnarok

i honestly don't understand how there's no MP in this. The gunplay looks sooooo good.

It's pretty much a travesty.

i honestly don't understand how there's no MP in this. The gunplay looks sooooo good.

Because MachineGames didn't want to make multiplayer citing that it would take resources away from the singleplayer campaign, which is what they're good at. I don't see it as a travesty at all, more like a miracle that a dev making a shooter under a major publisher was given the freedom to do what they want.

I love good shooter campaigns though, so I'm probably looking at this from a different angle.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
RTCWs multiplayer was made by Raven.

Enemy Territories (by the then mod team which would become Splashdamage) was a non-vanilla gamemode introduced as a mod.

I always preferred the vanilla gameplay to be honest.

Did they?

Huh... upon further research, it appears that Splash Damage only made 4 maps for RtCW's multiplayer. It says that Nerve software did the multiplayer though, not Raven.

Zushin

Not really. Multiplayer in pretty much any game other than the big franchises are DoA. See Wolf 09 for evidence of this. Machine Games strong point is single player, so I'm stoked that all resources are being spent on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom