• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showaddy

These rumours are total BS. Last ditch efforts to derail the Xbox brand before launch. It's not working. I'm still buying one and it will have a better OS and online service than my PS4 in every way that matters. I have 100% confidence in that.

I'm fucking baffled at how anyone can show this kind of idiotic blind loyalty to a company that has tried to fuck them over repeatedly.

MS could release a broken, DRM laced Kinect box and people would still lash themselves to the rigging to go down with it.

His visaion, hs faul. tD

dontget ttro rrun fof awitjhou t fallout

this isuzses e comes from fascts. ifu wont wantt2 hera what present, cnyt help yu.

f0cus your irea t the people waho made these dcsion w regarrdi!1n harwdawar. whe nmesentger is rigeght uo get mad, but I warn becau zei don't like wht ive sen over last 20 mons.

PLAN nevr not 4 gamers. xbo or ps or wiu. al of us . when direc+ve are aps fest rfisrst, pwoetr s2nond, ths not 34 gamers. whdn questins buot drm/online poicliy are flaote intenraly and disregard 3d

bcuz monetiztn is job one 4e xcs, ths not for game34rs. when u are lid to direct l yy buot featusre, tha n7t for gaemrs. eprderi00d.

today, snap is brkne. Ffac.t. M@aby e (an dpbrobly )() fix fo alaunch
today live conetx andpaty is borknaen. Fac and m..aby e fix bgoror launch.
today

esrm is prbl and tols wil help dwon road. hw wil always be gipm in compsaarson. this w can nev changewtiout new hw. Faact. get mad at whoa ywou shdoul beg etin mad at.

no forusm
no poster$
not pelfoe who kno se what srong and want to haplep gamrs

CU afte !launh.

I'm bored so I'll translate this:

His vision, his fault.
Don't get to run off without fallout.

These issues come from facts. If you don't want to hear what's presented, I can't help you.

Focus your (eyes?) to the people who made these decisions with regard to hardware. When the messenger is right you'll get mad, but I warn you because I don't like what I've seen over the last 20 months.

Always plan for gamers. Xbox, PS or Wii U. All of us. When (directtv?) or apps are first, power second, this is not for gamers. When questions about DRM/online policy are floating around internally and 3D is disregarded.

Because monetization is job one for execs, not for gamers. When you are lied to directly about features, that's not for gamers, period.

Today, snap is broken. Fact. Maybe (and probably) fixed for launch
Today, Live connection and party is broken. Fact and maybe fixed before launch.
Today, esram is a problem and tools will help down the road. Hardware will always be gimped in comparison. This can never be changed without new hardware. Fact. Get mad at who you should be getting mad at.

Not forums
Not posters
Not people who know whats wrong and want to help gamers

See you after launch!

Edit:Amir0x why are you so fast

Proelite

I don't know anyone working in Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, but from a few friends and acquaintances working elsewhere in the company, Microsoft's a pretty toxic and dysfunctional place to work.

Example: Ballmer made it a requirement that departments/managers fire someone after each review period (the idea being to encourage people to be the best employee in the department).

Not only does this make a lot of employees constantly terrified, it also means that managers deliberately hang on to shitty employees so they can have someone to fire at review time instead of having to let go of someone valuable. If they've got multiple shitty employees, they trade them to other managers/departments for favors so that those managers can save their department from having to someone who knows what they're doing.

If this sounds insane and unreasonable, that's because it is.

BULLSHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

His visaion, hs faul. tD

dontget ttro rrun fof awitjhou t fallout

this isuzses e comes from fascts. ifu wont wantt2 hera what present, cnyt help yu.

f0cus your irea t the people waho made these dcsion w regarrdi!1n harwdawar. whe nmesentger is rigeght uo get mad, but I warn becau zei don't like wht ive sen over last 20 mons.

PLAN nevr not 4 gamers. xbo or ps or wiu. al of us . when direc+ve are aps fest rfisrst, pwoetr s2nond, ths not 34 gamers. whdn questins buot drm/online poicliy are flaote intenraly and disregard 3d

bcuz monetiztn is job one 4e xcs, ths not for game34rs. when u are lid to direct l yy buot featusre, tha n7t for gaemrs. eprderi00d.

today, snap is brkne. Ffac.t. M@aby e (an dpbrobly )() fix fo alaunch
today live conetx andpaty is borknaen. Fac and m..aby e fix bgoror launch.
today

esrm is prbl and tols wil help dwon road. hw wil always be gipm in compsaarson. this w can nev changewtiout new hw. Faact. get mad at whoa ywou shdoul beg etin mad at.

no forusm
no poster$
not pelfoe who kno se what srong and want to haplep gamrs

CU afte !launh.

Translation:

His vision, his fault. You don't get to run off without fallout.
These issues come from facts. If you don't want to hear what is presented, can't help you. Focus your irate on people who made these decisions with regards to hardware. When messenger is right you get mad, but I warn because I don't like what I've seen over the last 20 months.

Plan never not for gamers. Xbox one or ps4 or wii u. All of us. When directive are apps first, power second, this is not for gamers. When questions about drm/online policy are floated internally and disregarded.

Because monetization is job one for executives, this is not for gamers.When you are lied to directly about features, this is not for gamers. Period.

Today, snap is broken. Fact. Maybe (and probably) fixed for launch. Today, live connection and party chat is broken. Fact, and maybe fixed before launch. Today, esram is problem and tools will help down the road. Hardware will always be gimped in comparison. This will never change without new hardware.Fact. Get mad at what you should be getting mad at.

Not forums. Not posters. Not people who know whats wrong and want to help gamers.

See you at launch.

edit:damn. late

vcc

Has anyone seen this and have a comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6h9l5Gb5hE

Rich has a very tenuous grasp of the technical and his leak discredits themselves by saying network issues will influence resolution directly. No way even the worst netcode will degrade GPU performance by the 50% difference 1080p -> 720p would mean. It would hit the CPU not the GPU.

DRM issue is also silly. If he meant disk DRM. The PS4 still has it; day one patch will not take it out. If he means online DRM then that's not likely if Sony execs have confirmed you can play it without any updates. Sony would look REALLY bad if it turns out they were lying.

The network issues wouldn't surprise me but we only have sources for the XBL issues. CBOAT, Famous Mortimer, and thruway. PSN may have day one issues but no one has really spoken about it as being huge ans systemic. MS has tied more of their games to online features so a PSN goof up will mean less than a XBL one.

Rich's insider doesn't seem very credible . Rich has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the PS4 and Xb1. If you look at his channel XB 1 stories are 'this news is bad, but it's not that bad' while PS4 stories are all 'This is good news but you can't be sure Sony won't come back with some evil twist to it'.

Seriously look at his video "PS4 WILL Support External HDMI Video Capture, But...."; he's spinning that despite Sony choosing to remove HDCP from game content that Sony is still evil and still likely out to get him. Or just look at his channel, 5 negative PS4 videos vs 1 negative XB1 video and many of the console war related stories are defending XB1 and how it's behind but it's not so bad.

I do watch his videos and sometimes he has some interesting points but he's off base a lot. He's not a bad fellow but he seems miss informed.

The Flash

Banned
I just hope they realize that and have righted the ship in time to turn the system into an amazing gamer's machine. I have hope, still..

Perhaps it's time for a new hope.
Star Wars pun ftw!

MS's recent actions (i.e. Games with Gold, "Invitation" ad, some of the 180's) seem to indicate that they are moving in the right direction but only time will tell.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if CBOAT was actually J. Allard?

It would just make wayyyy too much sense--playing out like some M. Night Shyamalan movie or something.

lt519

Why is everybody forgetting about Nintendo? Two companies is correct.

Hah, should of changed it to THREE companies. I consider game delays and a weak launch line up to be a big mess for PS4 along with rumored PSN problems (albeit probably not true, as I'm quickly getting corrected)

Jack_AG

Banned
lulz57orm.gif

I was REALLY hoping I'd get a chance to use that. Thanks, Junior.

Holy shit this is amazing.

MCD

You are aware who MS are gearing up to take the devices division...?

that's right Stephen Elop, the man now (in)famous for effectively killing off Nokia as a mobile phone brand and handing the dead carcass to MS...

The man who in the space of one memo destroyed Nokia's phone division...

http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/a-timely-revision-of-elops-burning-platform-memo/

Gentlemen I give you the new head of MS devices division...(and rather worrying for MS) potential successor to Balmer...

Elop was never present during Nokia/MS deal.

And Elop is exactly the man MS needs right now. He can turn Xbox around just by being on stage.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email the man.

Vizzeh

Banned
I share ha feelings about Mattrick.

He's gone but it's too late now, they have to work with what they have.

Cboat had to be referencing Don matrrick then

"His vision, his fault."
"Don't get to run away from this fallout.
"

What a state that man has left that company in. I am all ps4 now and have been disgusted by the way MS have went, their policies, their internal direction and people like cboat and the software/hardware guys have to take the hardships of it all from going from gamers to monetizers. Creating Apps instead of hardware.

If MS stayed their path, as much as I prob would have went with PS4 anyway given their gaming direction and less focus on FPS and more 1st party studios, I DEFINATELY would have had the X1 beside my PS4, it would have been an awesome combo.

def sim

QUICK ROUGH TRANSLATION

crazy buttocks on the train said:
His vision, his fault.

Don't get to run away from this fallout.

The issues comes from facts. If you don't want to hear what I present, can't help you.

Focus your ire to the people who made these decisions regarding hardware. When messager is right you get mad, but I warn because I don't like what I've seen over the last 20 months.

Plan never not for gamers. Xbox One or PS4 or Wii U. All of Us. When directive are apps first, power second, this is not for gamers. When questions about DRM/online policy are floated internally and then disregarded.

Because monetization is job one for Executives, this is not for gamers. When you are lied to directly about features, that's not for gamers.
Today, Snap is broke. Fact. Maybe (and probably) fix for launch. Today connectivity and party is broken. Fact. And Maybe fix before launch.

ESRam is problem and tools will help down the road. Hardware will always be gimped in comparison. This can never change without new hardware. Fact. Get mad at who you should be getting mad at.

Not the forum.
Not the posters.
Not people who know what's right and wrong and want to help gamers.

See you after launch!

Thanks, you do good work. Interesting.

This guy speaks the truth. Stop complaining about Xbone. It's got the prettiest and the most interesting games. It is a machine for gamers by designers whose vision revolve around balance. Resolution is only one part of the equation. Framerate dominates everything and Titanfall, CoD, BF, Forza, etc all run at 60fps. In the end, it's not even about framerate but about games and Xbone has that in spades. If devs can toil away on PS3 to produce games as beautiful as Uncharted, TLoU then they can definitely outshine all console competition with only one alleged obstacle.
Why worry if the exclusive games you want to play outshine another console's exclusives? Just enjoy the games you want to play.

CLEEK

This guy speaks the truth. Stop complaining about Xbone. It's got the prettiest and the most interesting games. It is a machine for gamers by designers whose vision revolve around balance. Resolution is only one part of the equation. Framerate dominates everything and Titanfall, CoD, BF, Forza, etc all run at 60fps. In the end, it's not even about framerate but about games and Xbone has that in spades. If devs can toil away on PS3 to produce games as beautiful as Uncharted, TLoU then they can definitely outshine all console competition with only one alleged obstacle.

I wasn't sure if your comments around designed for balance were sarcastic of not, but then remembered you were a special sauce / power of the clouds truther in all the old Orbis/Durango threads.

These rumours are total BS. Last ditch efforts to derail the Xbox brand before launch. It's not working. I'm still buying one and it will have a better OS and online service than my PS4 in every way that matters. I have 100% confidence in that.

I can't wait to see that updated status of your standing in this forum. :)

So salt. For real, bro, you need to stay out of rumor threads if they're going to make you apoplectic. Perhaps the buttocks (blessed be His name
lol
) feels that consumers should know before they potentially buy a turkey (a week before Thanksgiving, I might add). Every time an insider posts something negative about your console of choice, you choose to attack the insider so as to reaffirm your comforting worldview. If the news makes your soul burn slow, you should try and kick the habit of coming 'round obviously negative threads.
Oh rally.

Thanks for the insight.

When I work out what my console of choice is then that may make sense,

Thankfully I'm not tied to a brand and that changes depending on what game I'm playing.

I just feel sad for all the people affected by this. Fuck brand allegiance and the idiots who espouse it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't know anyone working in Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, but from a few friends and acquaintances working elsewhere in the company, Microsoft's a pretty toxic and dysfunctional place to work.

Example: Ballmer made it a requirement that departments/managers fire someone after each review period (the idea being to encourage people to be the best employee in the department).

Not only does this make a lot of employees constantly terrified, it also means that managers deliberately hang on to shitty employees so they can have someone to fire at review time instead of having to let go of someone valuable. If they've got multiple shitty employees, they trade them to other managers/departments for favors so that those managers can save their department from having to someone who knows what they're doing.

Oh... My... God!

Tookay

Apps and services to enhance the gamers experience aren't a bad thing. If you aren't interested in apps and services you can switch to PC games. Cuz all next-gen systems (Wii U, XBO and PS4) has apps and services.

Dumb equivalency.

Just because all systems have apps and services doesn't mean that they were placed first in priority on all systems.

It's pretty clear that MS designed this as a synergy-driven Trojan Horse into the entertainment industry (which has been the plan since the original Xbox) and games were a means-to-an-end at best.

If you're fine with that (or are some MS investor with a belief that this is next great growth-market for the industry), then fine. But don't be intellectually dishonest.

Tabular

Banned
Next Gen race has been so amazing.
XBone has fallen over at the start line and screams incoherently, WiiU races itself at a different track, PS4 is just walking slowly while taking water breaks and powernaps and expects to be applauded for running the marathon and PC crossed the finish line two years ago.

Everyone thinking in the back of their heads 'At least we are not Ouya'

PC would be dead last actually.

i-Lo

I wasn't sure if your comments around designed for balance were sarcastic of not, but then remembered you were a special sauce / power of the clouds truther in all the old Orbis/Durango threads.

Non non Monsieur, you've the wrong person.

Munki

I can't take it anymore, I really am considering canceling my pre-order. The insane amount of negative information about the X1 is mind boggling. After gaining so much ground on Sony/PS3 last gen it's hard to believe that MS fucked up this bad this time around.

Riki

Da faq

I'm really not too worried about all of this. Most of the main issues will be ironed out by launch or shortly after. Was talking with a dev that I trust very much who allowed me to pretty much quote him:

"Truthfully...it isn't nearly as bad as is being made out to be.

The OS has shown moments of sluggishness, especially with snap feature. The bigger story is devs finding the tools a bit harder to work with compared to PS4. That's the takeaway from all this. Both systems will have issues with online at launch, guaranteed. XBL will be more noticeable cos of previous reliability. And it is mostly when a user tries o do too much at once. The multitasking will take a while to properly bed in.
With time, they will improve the pipeline process that handles the multitasking features in the background (via updates). Essentially, OS computations for that stuff will become more efficient. This will probably mean a reduction in the OS footprint as well, with time."

I have it on good faith from a friend who's a Microsoft project manager up in Redmond. *shrug*

It's exaggerated, but not a lie.

Stack ranking is a very real thing a lot of Seattle-area companies, particularly Amazon and MS.

The firing part may or may not be conjecture, but the rating system is public knowledge, see this and a million other articles on it. It's a pretty shit system.

I also work at Microsoft as well right now. It's not true. There is a stack ranking system that weeds out bad employees, yes. It takes a couple of review cycles. There is also a possibility that the project that contact is on is slowly getting diminished, so they don't need as much head count. Often times, if an employee is good enough, he can easily get a job anywhere in the company that is expanding. This is just silly talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom