• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Times: Trump Backers (the 45%) Like His First Draft of a New America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anyone in real life besides my wife and most of her family that doesn't love trump. They all think he's amazing.

99% are mexican and it makes me a little sad.

Most are evangelical christians and it breaks my heart.

Best friend of 12 years thinks he's God's greatest gift to man and that he can do no wrong. He refuses to talk politics because he is ready to tell you youre wrong before you say anything against trump so he wont bother.

"Evangelical" Christians should be labeled "radical" just as we label Muslim terrorists because neither truly follows the teachings of their religion.

LiK

I don't know anyone in real life besides my wife and most of her family that doesn't love trump. They all think he's amazing.

99% are mexican and it makes me a little sad.

Most are evangelical christians and it breaks my heart.

Best friend of 12 years thinks he's God's greatest gift to man and that he can do no wrong. He refuses to talk politics because he is ready to tell you youre wrong before you say anything against trump so he wont bother.

He's basically turned into a cult leader for some people.

Well, of course. I mean he basically is doing all he promised he would do if he got elected (which is pretty rare for a politician) so its not surprising people who backed him like what he is doing. They voted for exactly that.

"Evangelical" Christians should be labeled "radical" just as we label Muslim terrorists because neither truly follows the teachings of their religion.

My wife rejects the name evangelical now. She wont be associated with the title anymore, and I'm close to that myself.

He's basically turned into a cult leader for some people.

I actually first saw "#MAGA" for the first time a couple months ago, from said close friend. At first glance I thought it was a cult name or term. Then I looked it up and realised that it was indeed cultish.

My wife rejects the name evangelical now. She wont be associated with the title anymore, and I'm close to that myself.

I actually first saw "#MAGA" for the first time a couple months ago, from said close friend. At first glance I thought it was a cult name or term. Then I looked it up and realised that it was indeed cultish.

That's good. It's really plain to us regular Christians that the evangelicals, while not doing beheadings and bombings are just as dangerous in their beliefs as the terrorists that have perverted the teachings of Islam.

I definitely don't want to be associated with them either.

hobozero

So the guy they interviewed wants concealed carry rights from one state to carry over to another? So, screw state's rights, basically.

Fuck every single one of these people. And Trump.

Seconding that. These people might be your friends and family, and might be "good people" but they're capable of, and willing to, drive the world to ruin. These people don't deserve your sympathy and mercy because they buy Christmas presents for your kids. They might be decent day to day folks, but they're fuckheads for their shitty, hateful orientation.

So the guy they interviewed wants concealed carry rights from one state to carry over to another? So, screw state's rights, basically.

So much for conservatives and their distaste for "big government".

StayDead

They will always double down, it's a lot easier to admit making a mistake. And since Trump is so erratic, they can easily cherry pick the things they like.

Yup, same as Brexit voters.

People would rather admit to being xenophobic than being wrong.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trump collected all the ideas his fans really liked and built it as policy.

cwZ2azs.jpg

Stinkles

???

I'm clearly confused on the distinction here...

"Evangelical" means spreading the word and trying to convince as many people to follow that word as possible. This is SPECIFCALLY word of the "new" testament - and how it changes what you're supposed to say and do and believe.

But Evangelicals typically lean soley on Old Testament teachings (Leviticus and the other, more punitive parts of the Old Testament) that they believe align with their many hatreds of people).

Now Revelations aside, it's VERY hard to come away from a simple reading of the King James Bible and think it's anything other than a message of love, forgiveness, tolerance and acceptance.

Jesus is basically running around Nazareth and the region telling people to love and forgive each other and accept everyone from foreigners (Samaritans) to prostitutes, the sick, and especially the poor.

This isn't a happy interpretation, that's the entire point of not only the book, but Christ's life of teaching and love, and his eventual sacrifice on the cross to forgive, love and accept ALL of mankind.

So, when you see a multi millionaire evangelical fly home on a private jet, roll up in his Bentley to a Church with better AV tech than your local IMAX yelling about bootstraps and homos and heathens, well, it's hard to take that seriously - and yet that's where we're at.

nel e nel

I"m seriously angry at Republicans/Conservatives and Libertarians to make it seem like scientists get millions a person for research.. when often they live close to or under the poverty line.. and thus it is a calling rather than a profession.

Something Politics SHOULD BE, but has become a "get rich quick scheme" by going populist. I hope that eventually we can put all of these climate criminals to trial and in jail for their betrayal against human kind. The Earth will continue to exist, but it is humankind that will die out :(.

Researchers do not live close to or under the poverty line, not by a long shot. They don't get a million per person, but no, they aren't dirt poor.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/home.htm

Zubz

Banned
Anyone still think it's impossible for tens of millions of Americans to be irredeemable trash?

Yes & no. I feel like they wouldn't be acting terribly if they weren't raised in bubbles with one another. But they are, and their horrible views on the world outside of their respective bubbles spreads like wildfire within.

So these individuals could very well be people that see the good in others. It's just that they only know their own bubbles and the bubbles around theirs. And they were raised in those bubbles to fear the outside.

Stinkles

Researchers do not live close to or under the poverty line, not by a long shot. They don't get a million per person, but no, they aren't dirt poor.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/home.htm

He's not talking about salaries - he's talking about the myth perpetuated by Conservatives that scientists are chasing "big funding" dollars to fake climate research.

Which is horseshit - and those funds they do get (to try and save the planet, mind you) are dwarfed in this country by the money spent trying to undermine their science, by energy companies who don't like it because it affects their bottom line.

These are billionaires who don't give a shit about their grandchildren. Or corporations who can only imagine their company one quarter at a time.

Not sure why you guys are torturing yourself with this, most Trump voters are going to like and defend Trump no matter what he does, especially at the very start. The goal isn't to win over 60 million Trump supporters in a week, it's to win over 100k or so over four years.

No. It's not. Fuck these people, fuck their votes, and fuck everything they stand for.

The goal is to make sure that people on the left and moderates who stayed home get out and vote. Once again, there's no reason to be going after Trump voters when a large percentage of your base didn't show up. Stop giving these people more power and importance than they deserve.

nel e nel

He's not talking about salaries - he's talking about the myth perpetuated by Conservatives that scientists are chasing "big funding" dollars to fake climate research.

Which is horseshit - and those funds they do get (to try and save the planet, mind you) are dwarfed in this country by the money spent trying to undermine their science, by energy companies who don't like it because it affects their bottom line.

These are billionaires who don't give a shit about their grandchildren. Or corporations who can only imagine their company one quarter at a time.

Feel free to re-read Denhus' quote that I responded to. The one where they explicitly talked about living below the poverty line.

I"m seriously angry at Republicans/Conservatives and Libertarians to make it seem like scientists get millions a person for research.. when often they live close to or under the poverty line.. and thus it is a calling rather than a profession.

I'm not disagreeing with your point about the false narrative surrounding research funding, just that point that researchers are living in poverty. They aren't.

If we're going to resist the BS that's going on, we should at least be informed.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Well, he is definitely doing what he said he would be doing.

Which is all horrible stuff but it's largely true. Also done a lot in short time.

Makes me wonder if doing good things politicians promise is actually hard

Why are good things such a slow chore but bad things so easy?

To me it seems that Trump honestly doesn't give a fuck about apappearances or "politics". Is that a bad thing (if done for good instead)?

Feel free to re-read Denhus' quote that I responded to. The one where they explicitly talked about living below the poverty line.

I'm not disagreeing with your point about the false narrative surrounding research funding, just that point that researchers are living in poverty. They aren't.

If we're going to resist the BS that's going on, we should at least be informed.

Most research is done by graduate students and postdoctoral reseachers. Salaries are typically 30 to 50k. Not poverty, but pretty darn low.

nel e nel

Which is all horrible stuff but it's largely true. Also done a lot in short time.

Makes me wonder if doing good things politicians promise is actually hard

Why are good things such a slow chore but bad things so easy?

To me it seems that Trump honestly doesn't give a fuck about apappearances or "politics". Is that a bad thing (if done for good instead)?

Most research is done by graduate students and postdoctoral reseachers. Salaries are typically 30 to 50k. Not poverty, but pretty darn low.

Yes, I'm aware. Most graduate students in research (we're talking PhD) also get full tuition funded as well. Take a look at the Federal Poverty Guidelines, that's the point that was made, and the point I was disputing. They aren't living close to or under the poverty line. Fighting misinformation with hyperbole isn't helping anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom