• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi's Island announced for 3DS!

Subaru

I guess this looks like claymotion. I prefer the old style, but I love Yoshi's Story graphics too.

I have to say that I loved petey piranha too.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
I wouldn't judge the final game based on this art. I'm guessing they're still developing it and apparently not prepared to show more of the game.

I'm just surprised it was announced at all. A new Yoshi's Island seems more of an E3 surprise, it's not like they didn't have enough stuff to announce today.

I don't think they really need to court 3DS owners so aggressively this close to E3. But I guess they're preparing to step out of the way of the headlines chasing contest between MS and Sony.

BTW, I love me some Yoshi's Island and this is the greatest news of the day!!!

I am eagerly anticipating this game. Do we know if Nintendo is developing in house?

But I don't get Nintendo's aversion to hand drawn 2D these days. Do they think it won't sell? Didn't seem to hold back Angry Birds or Plants vs. Zombies...

Laranja

I guess this looks like claymotion. I prefer the old style, but I love Yoshi's Story graphics too.

I have to say that I loved petey piranha too.

I absolutely loved Yoshi's Story look, it was so cute and colourful!

But I'm still not feeling it with this game. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think Yoshi looks a bit too plasticky. Maybe thats it? I don't like it one bit, reminds me of Yoshi's model in Melee, which I found pretty ugly.

ibbKnZyiBtEN5m.jpg

Is anyone else seeing it?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think this type of style has a lot of charm to it. The watercolor is probably going to look great in 3D.

CengizMan

At first I was a little bit disappointed that they didn't translate the art style from the original game very well. I actually really like that crayon look from the SNES game. Yoshi's Island DS wasn't really able to translate it nicely either. However, now giving a second look, I see that they really departed from the crayon look, and decided to try a watercolor look instead. Looks pretty nice and unique!

The game play footage looks faithful to the original SNES game's game play. Can't wait to see more of this game!

Laranja

So what do people want, out of curiosity?

Sprites? On a "3D"s?

Why wouldn't sprites work, on a 2D game? You can have different layers of 2D artwork, one in the foreground, one in the middleground (where the gameplay happens), and one in the background.

Salsa

man between this and the new Mario & Luigi Nintendo is seriously going back to a type of art style that makes me think of the square mario RPG and some of the N64 efforts like yoshi's story

it's pretty cool and different

I still think the original looks way better but I cant blame them for trying stuff. They already did a sequel with that similar art style for the DS.

I absolutely loved Yoshi's Story look, it was so cute and colourful!

But I'm still not feeling it with this game. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think Yoshi looks a bit too plasticky. Maybe thats it? I don't like it one bit, reminds me of Yoshi's model in Melee, which I found pretty ugly.

ibbKnZyiBtEN5m.jpg

Is anyone else seeing it?
I am, in fact I don't think that the 3D model itself is necessary a problem, see Mario&Luigi Dream Team. It's just the difference between the artstyles, paint VS plastic.

Once again I don't know what some of GAF is thinking here, this looks great.

Will buy after I replace my 3DS (old one got stolen by some jackass awhile back).

Laranja

They had that for the new Wii U Yoshi game and people complained. People will literally complain regardless of what they do

I complained about the Yoshi game mostly because it looked like Epic Yarn starring Yoshi instead of Kriby.

Epic Yarn was a pretty cool-looking game, but re-using that style, especially in a game other than a Kirby one seem like a lazy decision. If they change things up a bit, like some of the screens suggested (the ones with a cloth Yoshi, not the ones with the yarn Yoshi), I won't see a problem with it, though.

Somnid

Sprites or, alternatively, whatever the technique behind Epic Yarn's graphics was.

They're already doing that for Yarn Yoshi? Hell it probably insulates it from the NSMB hater crowd having different art styles for console/portable.

Exeunt

This surprised me almost as Earthbound! That said, it's another pleasant surprise; it looks farther along than Yarn Yoshi, and seems to have that good old Yoshi's Island feel. I don't really mind whether the graphics are Yoshi's Story-esque or like the original Yoshi's Island, but I feel like this game could sort of eat into Yarn Yoshi's lunch—which is why I was quite surprised to see a new Yoshi's Island title announced. I get that they're probably supposed to compliment each other, but Wii U seems like it could use some more breathing room.

TWILT

Banned
Ohh, pretty excited for this. While I prefer the old use of sprites, I certainly don't dislike this new artstyle.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yoshi looks weird... I guess it's the old elongated dinosaur aesthetic he had before getting cuter and stubbier? Big shoes too.

Otherwise, great stuff.

Videoneon

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

This is one of those things I've secretly wanted for a long time but basically gave up on. I will almost certainly buy this unless something disastrous is revealed about the game. Red Coins, Flowers, and the point system have returned, so I'm happy.

Excited for:
-The need to reach 100/100 in all stages
-Some difficulty
-Soundtrack
-Hopefully colored Yoshis are featured

Worried about:
-The game being too easy/levels being short
-Mixed feelings on the visuals right now
-Soundtrack

Pissed off about:
-Giant egg, get that shit out of here

Brera

Banned
Why couldn't the Wiiu yoshi look like this?

Has that shitty NSMB look to it but still has the charm of the original judging by the grainy shots.

Day 1!

zroid

Banned
They had that for the new Wii U Yoshi game and people complained. People will literally complain regardless of what they do

Negativity always rings louder. Before something's announced, you'll hear from the people who want that thing. Then when it exists, you'll hear from those who didn't want it. It's just the way the Internet functions.

GG-Duo

Somebody give Nintendo the AGDQ speed run video. This game needs to be creative and technical and fun.

But then again I guess they already realize that sort of play with the NSMBU YouTube videos.

The art style is exactly as orioto used:

Yoshi__s_Playground_by_Orioto_NeoGAF_resize.jpg

vs

ixrlmqfcws2cb.bmp

In an ideal world yes but look how it looks:

yoshis_island_5.png

Notice in the picture you posted everything has a consistent art syle and has clean outlines giving that feel of it being hand drawn. The actual yoshi game seems to mix 3d models with this 2d water colour art style while having no such sharpness in the drawings.

PopeReal

Today reminds me a lot of when Zelda GameCube first screenshots came out. A lot of unhappy people.

We will see how these new 3DS games (Yoshi, Zelda) hold up over time. Because now WindWaker is pretty beloved by Zelda fans.

People are right that it resembles the intro to the original:

introduction.gif

So it's "canon" so to speak.

And also, Tree Yoshi and Mushroom Yoshi wat:

unusedtransformations.png

Does Poochy use you to itch its balls?

And if Mario ate Mushroom Yoshi...?!

Except the glossy 3D NSMB-esque character models clash with the 2D watercolor environment.
It looks better in motion than statically. Look at the shot I post vs the video.

In an ideal world yes but look how it looks:

Notice in the picture you posted everything has a consistent art syle and has clean outlines giving that feel of it being hand drawn. The actual yoshi game seems to mix 3d models with this 2d water colour art style while having no such sharpness in the drawings.
It looks fine to me.

Did Nintendo quietly replace its art team over the years? Between this and the new LttP 3DS game it's as if their artists forgot what the word "character" means.

Top Bottom