• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi's Island announced for 3DS!

The character models totally clash with the background and look weirdly poorly animated.

The first game had a consistent 2D artstyle. This... doesn't.

Yeah I agree. The original had a had an drawn feeling to it but this......I dunno:

27068-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-snes-screenshot-nice-level.jpg

1-D_FTW

...why are people judging it based on a YouTube video? Even the game videos in the eShop for games on 3DS have terrible compression artifacts.

Okay. That last gif looks pretty good. But how else can we judge these things. WTF is wrong with Nintendo? You'd think they're paying for youtube's bandwidth costs or something. Why can't they post videos that don't suck?

Hero

The original Yoshi's Island is one of the best looking 2D games ever. It's sad that it's too expensive to produce sprite work like that these days but as long as it plays the same I'm interested.

amazing but i wish they could swap Yoshis yarn with yoshis island 2

yoshis island needs to be played on the big screen :( Nintendo please.

lol yoshis island DS, i totally forgot about that game, horrible ds game.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Loved the original, and aesthetic was one of the main reasons why.
This doesn't really appeal to me... at all.

mooooose

I think the new game looks really good in its own way and will pop more in 3D than a Yoshi's Island in the original style.

JoeM86

I like the look of it, but one thing concerns me. The camera seems too far zoomed in. If it was completely like the part where Yoshi is aiming the giant egg, then it'd be amazing, but at the moment, it gives me pause

Clov

Haha, it looks really cute! Do we know who is developing it yet? I'm assuming it's not Artoon, since they were absorbed into AQ Interactive.

I am loving that art. Reminds me of a watercolor painting.

That's exactly what it is. Yoshi's Island was crayons, this is water color.

The problem is, water color is extremely difficult to use and only really looks good when you have someone that's mastered it doing it. I'm not saying this game looks BAD, but compare the quality of the background paintings to something like Lilo & Stitch, which was completely watercolored, and you will see what I mean.

Edit: This is what a properly watercolored background looks like:

Piers

I'd rather see a new art style than sheltering over the SNES aesthetics. Will admit that the models are a bit sketchy and some backgrounds seem muddy and washed out - but it's a fresher sight than Yoshi's Island DS.

EDIT:
Ah, that's right. It reminds me of the pre-rendered opening to SMW2: Yoshi's Island.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Like the look personally. Thanks for the gifs whitehawk, looks so much better that way

I like the art style. The backgrounds are similar to the original Yoshi's Island and Yoshi looks like he's from Yoshi's Story.

I really wish we could get a sequel to Yoshi's story :(

Considering this was our first look at it, I wouldn't doubt that this was just taken from a vertical slice. I agree it looks rough but the game play hints that it's in the right spot so I'll save the art critique for the first real trailer.

That's exactly what it is. Yoshi's Island was crayons, this is water color.

The problem is, water color is extremely difficult to use and only really looks good when you have someone that's mastered it doing it. I'm not saying this game looks BAD, but compare the quality of the background paintings to something like Lilo & Stitch, which was completely watercolored, and you will see what I mean.

Edit: This is what a properly watercolored background looks like:

Eh, "properly watercolored" or not, it still looks pretty great to me.

Top Bottom