• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer

takriel

All of these are great, and I love the music in this game...
But I hate the extremely rough transition around 1:05 where it goes from crescendo to complete silence then back like 7 bars

It's jarring, and has been since e3

Yes, that's so irritating, every time!

ckaneo

Good.

I would like it so that I have to discover and explore without automatic objective markers a la Elder Scrolls.
I'm pretty sure main quest will be marked on the map. Can't be sure, but the very first tower on the plateau is marked.

My guess is if the quest giver knows the location they will mark it so it's not like you will always know where to go.

IMO, it's totally soul crushing that they have a great looking Zelda, wearing the same tunic as Link, looks like Link actually, but female and she can hold the Master Sword in artwork...and yet is not playable at all. She looks great. And yet...nope. So backwards in my opinion.

As far as we know. ;)

MAtgS

BlankExcellentHypsilophodon.gif
A little more to the right...

Cloukyo

Banned
There sure is a lot of Zelda in this Zelda game.

Remembering the initial reception to the old Skyward trailers and other instances when incarnations of Zelda are introduced shown (including even in smash bros trailers), Zelda almost always catches the attention of gamers.

She's definitely the main character of the Zelda games, regardless of the fact that you play as Link. The one everyone is hyped to see the new design of, the role in the plot, etc.

In my opinion anyway.

Link rarely changes, he's almost always a young male in a little village who finds out he's a hero and has to go on some quest to save Hyrule from Ganon (that's right HYRULE, not JUST Zelda), I think BotW is one of the only ones to mix it up. But Zelda always changes and has interesting new incarnations.

13ruce

Banned
Remembering the initial reception to the old Skyward trailers and other instances when incarnations of Zelda are introduced shown (including even in smash bros trailers), Zelda almost always catches the attention of gamers.

She's definitely the main character of the Zelda games, regardless of the fact that you play as Link. The one everyone is hyped to see the new design of, the role in the plot, etc.

In my opinion anyway.

Link rarely changes, he's almost always a young male in a little village who finds out he's a hero and has to go on some quest to save Hyrule from Ganon (that's right HYRULE, not JUST Zelda), I think BotW is one of the only ones to mix it up. But Zelda always changes and has interesting new incarnations.

Yeah that is why the game is called the Legend of Zelda, she also is revealed to be a mortal goddess in Skyward Sword so it makes sense the games center around her.

Cloukyo

Banned
She should be saving us

As is the case with the past few games, it seems she is playing said role in BoTW, as we can see her protecting Link with her magic in the trailer

Also she's the one who puts Link to sleep so that he can heal and later wake up and save Hyrule in the future?

Eolz

This hurts even worse. Goddamnit Nintendo! It's 2017! Why not offer a character choice? T_T And goddamn the artstyle in this game is drop dead gorgeous. Just incredible.

Stop. This debate has been beaten to death.
It's not a matter of year and having to put character choice everywhere. Nintendo wants Link to stay the only playable character (and to be male) as said in countless interviews. That's a design choice.
That doesn't make Zelda less important for some reason.

Can we have a Zelda thread without a mention about Horizon, playable Zelda (there's no hint about this) or female Link (that won't happen)? Seriously?

Cloukyo

Banned
We know at most Zelda will communicate with you during the game, like Tetra does, because of how they mentioned you can make her angry at you. This means she'll definitely be more than a cutscene character!

Stop. This debate has been beaten to death.
It's not a matter of year and having to put character choice everywhere. Nintendo wants Link to stay the only playable character (and to be male) as said in countless interviews. That's a design choice.
That doesn't make Zelda less important for some reason.

Can we have a Zelda thread without a mention about Horizon, playable Zelda (there's no hint about this) or female Link (that won't happen)? Seriously?

Eh, that doesn't seem to happen much. It's more like Zelda is mentioned too much in Horizon threads.

The whole "nintendo is backwards for not making link a girl/for not making Zelda a Mary Sue" will never stop. Not until Zelda is the main playable character in LoZ and Link is literally stuck in a cage for the whole game. And Zelda needs to have Dante from DMC powers.

I hope Zelda becomes popular again in Japan with this game.

Nintendo is doing a really god job advertising it.

Is Zelda not popular in Japan? : O

I know Splatoon beat it out for trailer hype, but it came second!

Chaos17

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/live.mp4
Damn it Nintendo, I'm trying not to buy the Switch at launch, buuuuuuuuuut, hnnnnnnnnnnnng.

This hurts even worse. Goddamnit Nintendo! It's 2017! Why not offer a character choice? T_T And goddamn the artstyle in this game is drop dead gorgeous. Just incredible.

I think it's already a big step that Nintendo "feed" the fans who ship ZeldaxLink but never had real relationship besides being knight save/serve princess. So I'm happy that we will get a little more closer to her in this game.

AGoodODST

That's cool, in the third trailer (Area?) Link used the bomb to destroy one of that rock golem's limbs. So you don't necessarily have to climb it.

Rodin

I've been out of the loop regarding the framerate, is it locked at 30?

In the demo available to the press, it was mostly 30fps but it had a acouple of dips in 40 minutes related (according to DF) to dof and possibly streaming assets. We don't know about the final version, hopefully they were ironed out.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hey, remember when the almighty Cirilla, with witcher training and immense powers, spent the entire game hiding and running from Eredin? Sometimes the enemy is just too fucking strong maybe. Or is Ciri a "damisel in distress"?

Except Ciri still fights, gets involved, and demonstrates her skills. Tetra had no qualms raiding the Forsaken Fortress to save the missing girls and Link himself. Then she puts on a dress and says "You go, I'm going to hide here."

zoukka

Eh, he looks focused. Like he's getting all zen with his sword training or something. I dunno, we'll see how that cutscene plays.

Yeah that's their intention, but it just looks cheap. Then again Zelda games never had super intricate cut-scene animations so this is still a big step-up for them.

Rodin

Except Ciri still fights, gets involved, and demonstrates her skills. Tetra had no qualms raiding the Forsaken Fortress to save the missing girls and Link himself. Then she puts on a dress and says "You go, I'm going to hide here."

Tetra fights in her Zelda dress against the final boss, in fact without her light arrows you can't defeat Ganondorf. Not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Top Bottom