• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

Calm Mind

Remember back when Wii U was Project Cafe, and she put out "leaked off-screen screenshots" of a Pikmin game and an Endless Ocean game?

Lmfao

And if I remember correctly, she also said XSEED was 100% publishing Devil's Third and that Star Fox wasn't in development for Wii U. :')

AND she said she'd stop posting articles about stuff if Soul Calibur and a Rockstar game weren't coming to Project Cafe.

The URL is here, but the site has been killed since: http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/lets-make-a-bet

Oops!

It's stuff like this that is going to bite everyone in the ass invested in that thread of hers.

Everything Nintendo does nowadays that is perceived to be lazy gets them burned. Badly. What is being suggested is the definition of lazy, and to say there wouldn't be a massive amount of outrage at them doing something like that would be laughable.
Not lazy just an ill-advised perception of gender. Lets not turn this into something goofy that you making it to be.

kunonabi

Some users are going to be disappointed when link has no gender option.

Don't blame Nintendo later lol

Rogers's track record, Nintendo's recent pandering to Twitter social critics and recent western influences like skyrim and the like make the gender option more likely than not at this point.

mugwhump

TP still had the best pre-release art.

edit: oh it's the weekly link's gender thread
I look forward to experiencing 500 more pages of this truly fascinating discussion once e3 arrives ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

People should be mad at themselves for believing in any leaks.

Most time its people wanting to believe in them and upset it didn't happen. Doesn't matter who the person is, as soon as you choose to believe your setting yourself up for disappointment, unless their rights since you'll be happy(or sad)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Some users are going to be disappointed when link has no gender option.

Don't blame Nintendo later lol

To be fair, all she said was "playable female character". That doesn't necessarily = Female Link.

Actually, I hope it isn't because it would be cool to explore the world as another character with a distinctive skillset.

I am supremely confident that you will be able to choose Link's gender in the new game, if just because most of Nintendo's recent games have included playable female characters and/or made it a point to add more playable women. It's almost as if there's a mandate within the company.

I am supremely confident that you will be able to choose Link's gender in the new game, if just because most of Nintendo's recent games have included playable female characters and/or made it a point to add more playable women. It's almost as if there's a mandate within the company.

They really seemed to make an effort to have playable women options circa E3 2013. Kind of seems like they eased off it a bit, in terms of released products, at least.

Everything Nintendo does nowadays that is perceived to be lazy gets them burned. Badly. What is being suggested is the definition of lazy, and to say there wouldn't be a massive amount of outrage at them doing something like that would be laughable.
This is worse than your argument that Federation Force's success will determine the gameplay of future Metroid games. This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Edit--

My expectations are slight but easily seen differences between the gender options. Dude Link will have the usual unmasculine build while lady Link will have "moderate womanly features" and a more effeminate face. That should be more than enough to appease your mental gymnasts.

Im gonna watch the reveal video 5 minutes before the stream starts to make it feel like some continuation from 2 years ago. I felt like a cool breeze hit me when Aonuma snapped his fingers.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo posted this on Vine:

reggie_vansg0s3z.gif

Source: https://vine.co/v/i3HAK0pjQhe

It's of course most related to recent Vans products, but the Ganondorf in the background ought to be intentional.

Perhaps we'll get some E3 related Vines soon.

Is Link/Linkette riding a clydesdale lol?

Good lord, that is awesome.

Looking forward to seeing more of this game manifest itself, that initial reveal was so awesome.

I hope that rumor about it having Male or Female link is true, Female Link is awesome.

Griss

I'm confident Gender Option and Voice Acting in Zelda is real.

I'm confident in voice acting and confident that you can play as a girl, but unsure of whether that girl will be female Link.

But honestly, I don't really give a shit about Link's design - we've already seen it, basically, and there's only so much they can do with him / her. (
god it was weird to write him/her regarding Link)
What I'm looking forward to is the new (princess) Zelda design. She has had so many totally different designs through the years. From classic princess designs like OoT and TP, to more 'normal girl' stuff like SS, to the cute cell-shaded little kid versions, to her crazy different personas like Sheik and Tetra (and I guess the Darknut from ST, lol). Even her Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and
CDi
designs are different and fascinating to me. So I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take her in this time.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Aonuma did say he wanted to beat Hyrule Warrior's cutscenes. Voice acting would certainly help.

I'm confident in voice acting and confident that you can play as a girl, but unsure of whether that girl will be female Link.

But honestly, I don't really give a shit about Link's design - we've already seen it, basically, and there's only so much they can do with him / her. (
god it was weird to write him/her regarding Link)
What I'm looking forward to is the new (princess) Zelda design. She has had so many totally different designs through the years. From classic princess designs like OoT and TP, to more 'normal girl' stuff like SS, to the cute cell-shaded little kid versions, to her crazy different personas like Sheik and Tetra (and I guess the Darknut from ST, lol). Even her Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and
CDi
designs are different and fascinating to me. So I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take her in this time.
Prince Zelda, get it straight

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think everyone is just looking too much into this and that it really is just a typical male Link. He looks more feminine than usual because his hair is hidden and his face has never been particularly masculine. Even if there's a female option, it's not being shown here as a teaser.

AdanVC

Rösti;206123181 said:

reggie_vansg0s3z.gif

It's of course most related to recent Vans products, but the Ganondorf in the background ought to be intentional.

Reggie looks so boss wearing Vans. I think it's the first time we see him wearing casual clothes!

Xun

Anyway, I just hope the gender options are very distinct (not just Link and slightly more feminine Link), if not outright different characters like Pokemon.
Agreed.

I think it would be a lot more interesting that way and could even play into the story.

2 heroes with their own visual identity.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Rösti;206123181 said:

reggie_vansg0s3z.gif

Isn't he wearing the left shoe on the right foot? :O

Isn't he wearing the left shoe on the right foot? :O

He has his legs crossed.

If only Zelda's mysteries were unraveled so easily

Edit:

How about this: Sentient. Talking. Horse.

Have it scream, cuss you out, and cry in pain when you jump off cliffs.

Oh man, what if they pull a DQVIII and Zelda is the horse!?!

Ganon transforms Zelda into a horse, horse and Link team up to take down Ganon... that would make Emily's comment about "playable female character" technically accurate, no?

Quick everyone, look for triforce symbols on its hooves!

Krathoon

Gold Member
How about this: Sentient. Talking. Horse.

Have it scream, cuss you out, and cry in pain when you jump off cliffs.

Yonafunu

I think everyone is just looking too much into this and that it really is just a typical male Link. He looks more feminine than usual because his hair is hidden and his face has never been particularly masculine. Even if there's a female option, it's not being shown here as a teaser.

That's only true if you're talking about the in-game models. Link has always looked masculine in the promo and concept art.

Oh man I was totally kidding before but look at this:

RN7SjjN.jpg

That almost looks like what some of the Triforce pieces looked like in Wind Waker...

What if Zelda really is the horse? Did I just spoil the games big twist? If so I deeply apologize...

Edit:

This from Wind Waker:

The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Wind-Waker-large-631.jpg

MuchoMalo

Banned
That's only true if you're talking about the in-game models. Link has always looked masculine in the promo and concept art.

Really poor excuse, imo. We'll see in a few days is this was meant to hint at something, but I highly doubt it, even if the option for a female Link exits.

I'll admit that I'm not totally keen on the idea either way though, since I don't like it when stuff like this is forced into games just to please people. It would also mean that Link can never be anything other than a blank slate from this point forward, and that kills a lot of potential without really getting anything in return. Seriously, the people treating this like a big deal and a necessary move either were going to buy the game no matter what, or weren't going to buy it no matter what. It just turns into a publicity thing in the end without affecting the value or sales of the game.

Astral Dog

At this point I feel like there's a 50/50 shot the game is just called 'The Legend of Zelda'. They've only ever called it that, never hinted that they might reveal a longer name. It'd be crazy, but this is the company that released 'Super Smash Bros. for Wii U'.

nah, the same was said about Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before the reveal, i bet this one is going to have a strange subtitle like the others.

it wont be called "The Legend of Zelda for Wii U/NX"

the female/male Link discussion...meh im just going to wait for E3, looks like your typical Link anyways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh man I was totally kidding before but look at this:

RN7SjjN.jpg

That almost looks like what some of the Triforce pieces looked like in Wind Waker...

What if Zelda really is the horse? Did I just spoil the games big twist? If so I deeply apologize...

Edit:

This from Wind Waker:

The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Wind-Waker-large-631.jpg

Triforce pieces would make since if they wanted to make this one more open world, and play closer to the original.

Really poor excuse, imo. We'll see in a few days is this was meant to hint at something, but I highly doubt it, even if the option for a female Link exits.

I'll admit that I'm not totally keen on the idea either way though, since I don't like it when stuff like this is forced into games just to please people. It would also mean that Link can never be anything other than a blank slate from this point forward, and that kills a lot of potential without really getting anything in return. Seriously, the people treating this like a big deal and a necessary move either were going to buy the game no matter what, or weren't going to buy it no matter what. It just turns into a publicity thing in the end without affecting the value or sales of the game.
The bolded is untrue because they could just pull what Awakening and Fates did and let you customize Robin and Corrin even though they have a set personality. I disagree with everything else but I'm done with this conversation until the female option is confirmed or denied.

kunonabi

My friends who have been long time Zelda fans turned PC gamers basically want the game to be Skyrim with a Zelda skin. I don't really get it but SS was tailor made for me so I can't really complain too much if Wii U entry ends up being the exact opposite.

KingBroly

Banned
The bolded is untrue because they could just pull what Awakening and Fates did and let you customize Robin and Corrin even though they have a set personality. I disagree with everything else but I'm done with this conversation until the female option is confirmed or denied.

You basically don't have Link anymore at that point. Might as well give him/her a voice then too. Why? Because you've done everything else.

TheJoRu

If I hear ONE note in MIDI, I'm done. Absolutely DONE.

You just might, at E3 at least, if they haven't had live recording sessions for the music yet. They probably have recorded some of it, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a few placeholder MIDI tracks for some of the music in the demo. The game's still quite far from release, after all.

Top Bottom