• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

ReyVGM

We don't know that for sure. They could easily announce a brand new game and play it on day 2.

True, they need the 3rd day to show Federation Force.

It is quite odd that Nintendo did not announce anything for Day 3 (June 16) provided that it states June 14-16 on http://e3.nintendo.com/

Hmm... that's true, that's three days. Weird.

*edit*
Oh, those are the actual E3 days. I thought E3 was going to be Thursday-Saturday.

Dice//

Banned
Same. Other developers have raised the open world bar so high that I'm not sure if Nintendo even with their 30 year experience making Zelda games can bring something that can wow everyone to the party considering people is already starting to burn out of the genre. But then again, the same we were thinking about Splatoon and they managed to deliver such a unique and insanely fun twist to the super worn-out genre that are shooters wich actually worked and was succesful. Hope they can bring the same twist and magic to this new Zelda.

I'd like to think if anyone has the Midas touch here it's Nintendo (pun not intended given how they love gilding every goddamn boxart).

But yeah, I feel like whatever ideas they might have is stuff that's already been done. Open world? Done. Quests? Overdone. Gender option (maybe)? Yup.

I'm really curious what this game can do to stop being stuck in a Zelda rut and what it can do to go above and beyond what the market already has been doing very very well.

I dunno... have people not seen how males look in most japanese games in the past decade? They look almost like little girls.

Yeah, okay. Let's look at the best selling games in Japan for the past few years and examine the male characters.

1. Monster Hunter X (3DS)

F6lHNwC.jpg

The one on the left is an example of male armor. Not seeing anything there that makes them look like little girls yet, but there's still time!

2. Yokai Watch Busters (3DS)

4UDHuFg.jpg

They are dressed like Ghostbusters, which are now women, so you have a point here I guess!

3. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)

wu5Bb3F.png

Now we're getting to Nintendo stuff, so clearly this should fit your point!

4. Splatoon (Wii U)

bxKeSCo.png

They do look similar in that they're both pre-pubescent, so technically correct!

5. Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)

wnEKSxn.jpg

Looks like a girl in that Toriyama can only really draw one face, so technically correct again! Man you are on a roll.

Let's just do a list of the top ten of 2014.

Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (3DS) – 3,050,178
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS) – 2,464,850
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) – 2,381,177
Super Smash Bros (3DS) – 2,066,022
Yokai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (3DS) – 2,007,327
Yokai Watch (3DS) – 994,346 / 1.280.799
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) – 842,053
Dragon Quest Monster 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (3DS) – 748,139
Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) – 687,957
Super Smash Bros (Wii U) – 478,366

Weird, I am not seeing this overwhelming trend you are talking about. I think when you say "most Japanese" games, you mean FFXV, Star Ocean, and Ni no Kuni 2, and only the latter really counts. Persona 5's main character looks mousey, but not like a little girl certainly. Dark Souls 3 is a create-a-character. MGSV starred Big Boss.

If you're talking about, like, Idea Factory games, then that is a SUPER WEIRD AND NICHE pull to pretend it is a trend influencing Zelda.

ReyVGM

Yeah, okay. Let's look at the best selling games in Japan for the past few years and examine the male characters.

Yes, I mean a lot of the later Final Fantasy male heroes, Fire Emblem, older Igavania games, lots of those niche PSP/Vita fanservice games, and lots of other Japanese games where males look like females (usually due to their faces and hairdo).

I like Link's androgynous design. Makes him stand out while appealing to a lot of people (he's one of the most popular game characters, right?)
It is a bit weird that he's so feminine if there's going to be a female option. I wonder what the changes will be between the two.

1. Monster Hunter X (3DS)

F6lHNwC.jpg

The one on the left is an example of male armor. Not seeing anything there that makes them look like little girls yet, but there's still time!

2. Yokai Watch Busters (3DS)

4UDHuFg.jpg

They are dressed like Ghostbusters, which are now women, so you have a point here I guess!

3. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)

wu5Bb3F.png

Now we're getting to Nintendo stuff, so clearly this should fit your point!

4. Splatoon (Wii U)

bxKeSCo.png

They do look similar in that they're both pre-pubescent, so technically correct!

5. Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)

wnEKSxn.jpg

Looks like a girl in that Toriyama can only really draw one face, so technically correct again! Man you are on a roll.

Let's just do a list of the top ten of 2014.

Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (3DS) – 3,050,178
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS) – 2,464,850
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) – 2,381,177
Super Smash Bros (3DS) – 2,066,022
Yokai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (3DS) – 2,007,327
Yokai Watch (3DS) – 994,346 / 1.280.799
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) – 842,053
Dragon Quest Monster 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (3DS) – 748,139
Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) – 687,957
Super Smash Bros (Wii U) – 478,366

Weird, I am not seeing this overwhelming trend you are talking about. I think when you say "most Japanese" games, you mean FFXV, Star Ocean, and Ni no Kuni 2, and only the latter really counts. Persona 5's main character looks mousey, but not like a little girl certainly. Dark Souls 3 is a create-a-character. MGSV starred Big Boss.

If you're talking about, like, Idea Factory games, then that is a SUPER WEIRD AND NICHE pull to pretend it is a trend influencing Zelda.
Sorry but thats a very bad list based on sales too? Lmaoo. Yes FF, Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, Tales, Dragon Quest games they look like a female more than not. Even if they have gender options they look feminime. Look at digimon and FE.

Sorry but thats a very bad list based on sales too? Lmaoo. Yes FF, Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, Tales, Dragon Quest games they look like a female more than not. Even if they have gender options they look feminime. Look at digimon and FE.
What in the bloody hell are you talking about.

Fine, give some examples then.

Yes, I mean a lot of the later Final Fantasy male heroes, Fire Emblem, older Igavania games, lots of those niche PSP/Vita fanservice games, and lots of other Japanese games where males look like females (usually due to their faces and hairdo).

Later Final Fantasy male heroes being Snow, Noel, etc.? Or specifically do you just mean Noctis.

Fire Emblem is a create-a-character now, but the main guys mostly don't look like little girls.

I can see how you clearly meant "older Igavania games" and "niche PSP/Vita fanservice games" when you said "most of the games from Japan." How could I not.

Sandfox

Idea Factory games have men in them?

Later Final Fantasy male heroes being Snow, Noel, etc.? Or specifically do you just mean Noctis.

Fire Emblem is a create-a-character now, but the main guys mostly don't look like little girls.

I can see how you clearly meant "older Igavania games" and "niche PSP/Vita fanservice games" when you said "most of the games from Japan." How could I not.
I wouldn't say Noctis looks like a female. The only one I could see that complaint working for is Vaan.

How else do you determine the biggest games in Japan than by sales? Or is that bad because it harms the point you want to make.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What exactly is toxic about masculinity?

There's nothing inherently toxic about masculinity! "Toxic masculinity" is a way to describe the concept of masculinity that actually stifles masculine expression of "feminine" traits, such as empathy and expressiveness, as well as the rigid definition of what a man should and shouldn't do/be (E.g. man shouldn't be emotive, shouldn't cry, should always be strong, "boy will be boys", "boy's shouldn't play with dolls", etc.)

It's a thing.

ANYWAYS ON TOPIC:

Geez, Epona's huge!
THAT MEANS SHE HAS HUGE GUTS!

Kindekuma

Banned
Gotta say I'm really digging the Zelda NX/U artwork lately. The art style to me is very refreshing. If there's an artbook for the game coming out I'd totally buy it.

Astral Dog

Digimon?
digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-english-445723.16.jpg

ok, there are three girls there, one boy, he is easily identifiable for the short hair and face shape. weird art but ok.

Fire Emblem? Chrom does not look like a girl, Robin and the Avatar look a bit lame but they are boys with short hair, and you can change them to appear how you like, and they can be girls too.

Marth looks feminine but thats because she is actually Lucina, a girl

Pick any anime game yes the main character looks androngynus. Yes Digimon male character looks like a female too. Show these designs to anybody thats not in the know they will tell you it look like a girl. Robin and Corrin both look androgynus.

And sales was a bad way to compare the games because even Zelda wouldnt show up in that list.

Of course these characters got short hair but thats how we identify them as a male, of course we gonna know who they are damnit.

Pick any anime game yes the main character looks androngynus. Yes Digimon male character looks like a female too. Show these designs to anybody thats not in the know they will tell you it look like a girl. Robin and Corrin both look androgynus.

Corrin and Robin are rather easy to tell apart gender wise. Link is much more androgynous by comparison or at the very least Bishounen.

Corrin and Robin are rather easy to tell apart gender wise. Link is much more androgynous by comparison or at the very least Bishounen.
I honestly dont know how you guys are saying that.. especially corrin.. like if there wasnt a female design then I would think its a female. Most of the characters, just looking at their face you cant tell. Only when you add some assets its different.

Sandfox

And sales was a bad way to compare the games because even Zelda wouldnt show up in that list.

Of course these characters got short hair but thats how we identify them as a male, of course we gonna know who they are damnit.

None of those characters look female to me.

You guys are too caught up on what gender Link is or if there will be a gender choice for Link. Link is Link. I just care about the game with its presentation, gameplay, music, dungeons and how the world comes together.

Just relax and enjoy it.

Yep I totally missed that. That's puzzling.

Not coming out until March, too, in case you missed that. Along with Zelda.

My guess is there are too many question marks and there's really no hurry.

Might as well wait until they can really blow the doors off on their own terms.

zoukka

Same. Other developers have raised the open world bar so high that I'm not sure if Nintendo even with their 30 year experience making Zelda games can bring something that can wow everyone to the party considering people is already starting to burn out of the genre. But then again, the same we were thinking about Splatoon and they managed to deliver such a unique and insanely fun twist to the super worn-out genre that are shooters wich actually worked and was succesful. Hope they can bring the same twist and magic to this new Zelda.

Meh, even with the current open world craze the games are far from great. Nintendo can absolutely improve the genre by focusing on meaningful content instead of the filler bloat that most open world games suffer.

None of those characters look female to me.
Except link apparently..

Not saying you think that, but! This new artwork, from this perspective link is female. Disregarding the one from May. If these characters were also drawn from different profile people would probably say they look female.

ANYWAYS.. im done lets see Tuesday!

Krathoon

Gold Member
This game is definitely playing off open world design. I suspect it will have quest lines and a few other modern RPG/MMO features.

I would be great if it had some optional special monsters that you can take down.

Peru

Same. Other developers have raised the open world bar so high that I'm not sure if Nintendo even with their 30 year experience making Zelda games can bring something that can wow everyone to the party considering people is already starting to burn out of the genre. .

If they just copy the genre elements they'll fail.

That's unlikely though. We're still likely to see a structure of beating dungeons and doing puzzle work that's unlike the popular open world epics of the past decade. Only done in a less Zelda formulaic 'tick the boxes' fashion.

Shion

Epona looks amazing, Link...not so much.

Link was never supposed to look like a Gears of War character, but he's getting more and more feminine with every game. He also looks way too weak for my tastes.

The design that was specifically made more feminine because the designer's wife requested a more attractive and bishounen Link?

There's nothing particularly feminine about Link's design in Ocarina.

In-game
WMpQMRJ.png

Artwork
dRBws1K.png
tmbtVKu.png

He's attractive and "feminine" in the same way that Legolas is, not in the anime way of overly androgynous-looking characters.

But, more importantly, Ocarina's Link looks strong and determined.

I'm probably focusing too much on the horse, but I'm curious- did anyone ever actually call the horse in this game Epona? We're all calling it Epona but who knows, maybe we can actually get multiple horses, seeing as we saw wild horses in the VGA gameplay.

Would be interesting if each horse has a different temperament, different abilities, etc.

RPGCrazied

Its almost here! Can't wait to finally see it. I'll be so pissed if they come out and say its coming out Holiday 2017.

I'm probably focusing too much on the horse, but I'm curious- did anyone ever actually call the horse in this game Epona? We're all calling it Epona but who knows, maybe we can actually get multiple horses, seeing as we saw wild horses in the VGA gameplay.

Would be interesting if each horse has a different temperament, different abilities, etc.

Miyamoto called it Epona during the VGA gameplay. But yes, I would love to see horses have different abilities. I remember there is one white horse among some brown horses during the VGA video, so the possibility of different types of horses with own abilities definitely exists.

Miyamoto called it Epona during the VGA gameplay. But yes, I would love to see horses have different abilities. I remember there is one white horse among some brown horses during the VGA video, so the possibility of different types of horses with own abilities definitely exists.

I wonder if Miyamoto knew it was Epona or just kind of assumed like everyone here is doing. Though he is Miyamoto so he probably knows...

We'll probably just get horse upgrades in the way of saddles, horseshoes, reins, etc... but imagine if Epona eventually gets wings, or can sort of transform into a sea horse (heh) for underwater travel... The horse is definitely a big focus in this game, its been in pretty much every screenshot and video.

Matbtz

Nintendo will announce Zelda U x Pocket card Jockey !! To go from a point A to B you'll have to play solitaire !

It could be nice but I guess I wouldn't really care if that was the case or not.

I think any horse will be "epona" even If you can change the name, is just the way to identify it.
Instead of saying "it's a horse!" its easy to say "it's epona!" because when you hear "epona" you know they are talking about the horse you use in Zelda games, so yeah, just a way to identify the character.

I wonder if Miyamoto knew it was Epona or just kind of assumed like everyone here is doing. Though he is Miyamoto so he probably knows...

We'll probably just get horse upgrades in the way of saddles, horseshoes, reins, etc... but imagine if Epona eventually gets wings, or can sort of transform into a sea horse (heh) for underwater travel... The horse is definitely a big focus in this game, its been in pretty much every screenshot and video.

Yeah. Because Epona would be the major means of transportation. In an earlier post I said Epona may receive some upgrades to increase speed or to walk on the surface of water from mechanical parts due to the tech-heavy theme (from what we have seen) of Zelda U. Although the idea sounds like a bit crazy and is based purely on speculation, I think Epona must require some kind of upgrades at the later part of the game as players may feel boring when the speed of traversal never changes.

I think any horse will be "epona" even If you can change the name, is just the way to identify it.
Instead of saying "it's a horse!" its easy to say "it's epona!" because when you hear "epona" you know they are talking about the horse you use in Zelda games, so yeah, just a way to identify the character.

Of course this could be the case. But, as a Zelda fan, you usually want Epona to be in the game, right? :)

maxcriden

Its almost here! Can't wait to finally see it. I'll be so pissed if they come out and say its coming out Holiday 2017.

Given that they want to time it to launch with NX, I don't think you have to be too concerned about this unless NX itself is delayed. I imagine we'll be playing both just 9 short months from now.

Top Bottom