• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

buttdiver

Zelda-Gaf has become impossibly boring. I can't begin to describe how tired I am of clicking on Zelda threads only to find them lost deep into endless gender discussions. There has to be more Zelda fans in here who don't give a shit about this.

I'm with you there...all these gaffers arguing about male vs female Link just makes me roll my eyes and put them on ignore.

Then again, there really isn't much to discuss until the big reveal on Tuesday.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Literally every single traditional Zelda game (i.e. not Four Swords or Tri Force Heroes, both of which have entirely sidebar lore that doesn't rely on other titles) has an internally consistent connection to at least one other game.

Zelda II - tells the story of the Triforce of Courage and has the Link from Zelda 1 assemble the complete Triforce

A Link to the Past - tells the story of how the Triforce was brought into the hands of mortals after descending from the gods

Link's Awakening - tells the story of what happened to Link after A Link to the Past

Ocarina of Time - depicts the story of the seven sages who sealed Ganon

Majora's Mask - tells the story of what Link did after returning to his own time

Oracle of Seasons/Ages - serves as a bridge/side-story between A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening

The Wind Waker - tells the story of what happened with Ganon in the future that Link left behind at the end of Ocarina of Time

Phantom Hourglass - tells the story of Link and Tetra's adventures after The Wind Waker

Spirit Tracks - tells the story of the kingdom Tetra founded after The Wind Waker

Twilight Princess - tells the story of what happened with Ganon in the era Link returned to at the end of Ocarina of Time

Skyward Sword - tells the story of the forging of the Master Sword and suggests the origin of the Hylians, their crest, and so on

A Link Between Worlds - tells a story about a parallel world called Lorule and how its princess tried to manipulate the aftermath of A Link to the Past to her own benefit (this is the only game that really contradicts the others, since OoS/OoA would have us believe that the full Triforce is in the hands of the royal family after the end of LttP...however, the contradiction is resolved by the end of the game)

And? Those are super broad stroke descriptions of each title. There are dozen of contradictions and inconsistencies between them. Just look at the years and years of fans trying to parse together the timeline before Nintendo released the official one. It was a myriad of competing theories and guesses for years because Nintendo played fast and loose with the details between each game. They did whatever suited the game at hand best, not rigidly adhering to any set rule set or sequence.

It was taking a thread from one game and expanding on it in another, with a great deal of creative licence in how they went about it.

Maybe we should wait to see if they're doing a gender thing, and then how they're doing it, first.
I predict its full customization, and that the game will have online coop boss battles like Monster Hunter and online dungeon explorations.

Waaaaay back in January 2013 Anouma said that Zelda U will challenge series traits and playing alone was one of them. That, with gender option makes me think its more fuller version of Tri Force Heroes customization to have different looking heroes online.

/Crazy Theory

Edit: ^^^LMAO at trying to write off a overall timeline.

Richie

Zelda-Gaf has become impossibly boring. I can't begin to describe how tired I am of clicking on Zelda threads only to find them lost deep into endless gender discussions. There has to be more Zelda fans in here who don't give a shit about this.

Looking at the bright side, a positive of the repetitiveness of the gender debates is that whatever the outcome is, it's going to be a minuscule aspect of the game itself, which means a whole damn lot to look forward to once we get past that. Like, fine, Link's a boy/girl/one's choice, a second in the initial menu and BAM, NOW let's see what we've got here, finally able to focus on the meat of the title.

SO looking forward to this finally being settled come next week so something else gets the lion's share of the discussions.

Yeah I do agree with this. I personally don't care what they do with the gender either way, but I can get why some people really want an option.

Let's get back to dissecting that picture in the OP! Does no one else really see the triforce mark on the back of Epona's hoof?
Let's say there is an option that seems shoehorned; is that good game design???
Or doesn't anyone care??
I would hope that if there is a playable female, it would make sense in the scheme of the story and not just be put in there for politically correct inclusion.

So anybody else think we'll see Sheik in this?

Kinda hope she returns

It's kinda crazy that Sheik has only ever been in Ocarina of Time yet is a fairly iconic character that she has her own slot in Smash 4! I really doubt we'll ever see Sheik again, specifically because she was only ever in one game for a very specific reason.

Let's say there is an option that seems shoehorned; is that good game design???
Or doesn't anyone care??
I would hope that if there is a playable female, it would make sense in the scheme of the story and not just be put in there for politically correct inclusion.

I'm sure it would make sense if Nintendo decides to put it in. Nintendo games typically don't have bizarre design decisions like that which are only for the purpose of political correctness, so I don't see why that's even a fear that people have with Zelda.

They could go the twins route that some of us have been discussing in this thread- boy and girl twins, one of them has the ability to become the Hero of Time/bearer of the Triforce of Courage or what have you, and you choose at the beginning who to play as.

Really I agree with Mato that this discussion has been done to death and it's getting kinda pointless.

Agreed. I wish that conversation could be its own thread actually.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I think it's more related to how this forum is in general than Zelda's fanbase. Most of the fanbase doesn't care, but GAF is all feminism in video games.

This would be the game for him/her to return, with all the sheikah symbolism going on. Could explain emily rogers' quote about a female character being playable.
Maybe the game is two perspectives. Play as Zelda or Link.

Maybe it's crazy talk, but a interesting idea.

The_Lump

Banned
Link has been right handed since the initial trailer. You put the arm guard on the hand on your dominant hand because a shield would make the one on the non-dominant one useless and detrimental

Yes I know it's been like that since the initial trailer. That's why I said "still a righty" (was distantly hoping they'd change it) ;)

Is link being a lefty all that important? Are you really going to left handed conventions and praising Nintendo because someone's dominant hand was the same as yours? Nothing is stopping a reincarnation being a righty.

Um, not sure where you're extrapolating all that from (if you're replying to me that is) - I'm just saying Righty link was only invented to cope with waggle, thus no need for it anymore. It's part of Links character imo. More so than a specified gender, for that matter.

I'm right handed, fwiw

Link isn't even a character, its just a default identifier for the everyman that is the archetypal "Hero". You can name The Hero of *a concept or place* whatever the heck you want. Buttfarts the Hero of Hyrule.

Link is a character, who is that in smashbros.? Dont come at me with that faulty junk

EDIT: Im in arguing mode come at me bros!

t-storm

Link isn't even a character, its just a default identifier for the everyman that is the archetypal "Hero". You can name The Hero of *a concept or place* whatever the heck you want. Buttfarts the Hero of Hyrule.
Ugh god... not this shit again.

maxcriden

I predict its full customization, and that the game will have online coop boss battles like Monster Hunter and online dungeon explorations.

Waaaaay back in January 2013 Anouma said that Zelda U will challenge series traits and playing alone was one of them. That, with gender option makes me think its more fuller version of Tri Force Heroes customization to have different looking heroes online.

/Crazy Theory

Edit: ^^^LMAO at trying to write off a overall timeline.

I think you're onto something for sure and I recently cited this quote as something to keep an eye out for also. It was reasonably pointed out though that Wii U and perhaps NX at launch may not have the most robust online communities, so perhaps any online MP component won't be huge.

With TFH, I got the sense the primary intention was for local rather than online MP. So that's another sticking point keeping me from thinking they'll go as full on with MP. But I do expect some MP aspect as well. 😊

I have said this before, but Zelda discussion is basically impossible, since the most foundational games in the series were all fairly different. For as much as shit as the series gets today for being too similar, each game is probably someone’s favorite Zelda, and is probably that way for the things it does differently from the other games. Similarly, each game is probably someone’s most disliked Zelda, too.

“The Legend of Zelda” means too many things to too many different people for there ever to be consensus on it. This works for Nintendo in that they can feel free to experiment with shit in spin-offs and ride the Zelda name. It also works against them because no single game will ever be universally praised, regardless of quality. No matter what it is, a large contingent won’t be happy because it is not what defines Zelda to them.

maxcriden

This would be the game for him/her to return, with all the sheikah symbolism going on. Could explain emily rogers' quote about a female character being playable.

Probably, seeing that symbol.
It's almost certainly part of the story.

Hm, I'd glad to see that... presumably it would be a predecessor or successor to the OoT Zelda who takes up the mantle. That's also the Shiekah stone symbol, though, and that's been a series mainstay more than Shiek has, so perhaps the symbol is solely related to the Shiekah Book seen in the art that, as has been speculated, could act as the in-game Wii U GamePad.

On a similar note, it will be interesting to see if the footage next week strongly indicates a controller with a screen built-in for NX.

kunonabi

I have said this before, but Zelda discussion is basically impossible, since the most foundational games in the series were all fairly different. For as much as shit as the series gets today for being too similar, each game is probably someone’s favorite Zelda, and is probably that way for the things it does differently from the other games. Similarly, each game is probably someone’s most disliked Zelda, too.

“The Legend of Zelda” means too many things to too many different people for there ever to be consensus on it. This works for Nintendo in that they can feel free to experiment with shit in spin-offs and ride the Zelda name. It also works against them because no single game will ever be universally praised, regardless of quality. No matter what it is, a large contingent won’t be happy because it is not what defines Zelda to them.

This is the main reason I always thought that focusing on Zelda almost exclusively at e3 was a bad idea.

Meesh

The only reason, and I mean single reason this is even a thing for me is what kind of impact does such a change make to the story. (if any?)
Story matters to me, especially in Zelda games. While not necessarily the most "sweeping or epic" in games it's certainly an enjoyable key motivator to seeing the characters through and how they evolve, at least in my eyes.

You're definitely right about that. I doubt many people would agree with me that Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game followed by the Adventure of Link.

But I think we can still have interesting discussion about what Zelda U can do to improve the open world formula, to change up Zelda conventions, we can speculate on story, timeline, characters, items...

Just cause it's hard to get a consensus on what is the best game, or most important feature of the games, or if Link is a character or avatar doesn't mean there can't be any interesting discussion about the game and series overall.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
We're doing the whole gender discussion thing again? We've had like 4 full threads of this!

I mean, I like the discussion and all but it always goes around in circles with the same points made:

1. Person A says Link could be female.
  2. Person B says Link is male
  3. Person A says all Links known so far are male, next one could be female
  4. Person B says Link is a character, not a concept, use Linkle
  5. Person A points out Linkle is not Link, seperate characters
  6. Person B is okay with multiple characters for diversity, recomends playable Zelda
  7. Person A says playing as Zelda'd be cool but they want Female Link since Links are different characters
  8. Person B mentions all Links being reincarnations of the Hero
  9. Person A responds with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as proof of this not being true, and points out that reincarnation does not necesarily mean same gender.
  10. Person B says that Link is a character from Marketing stand-point, mentions Smash Bros.
  11. Person A suggests that next Smash could just have gender options, marketing still uses male version.
  12. Person B argues that the stories of the Zelda games wouldn't make sense if Link was a boy.
  13. Person A points out that barring a few games (i.e. Wind Waker) most plots are gender neutral barring pronouns
And it goes on, and on. People join the discussion in the middle, arguing points that have already been made, people misuse the term "Hero of Time" as if that's the catch all term for the Hero, others bring the non-canonical Skyward Sword manga, I bring out the image of the Hero Spirit concept art from Twilight Princes where it's female, someone joins the discussion by just saying point 1 again and it starts all over again.

Actually that sounds fun, can we do that? I'll start:

Link could be female.

EDIT:
Doubt it. What would be the point for Zelda to dress up again as Shiek? It wouldn't make any sense at all.

Imagine this before OoT... "What would be the point for Zelda to dress up as a male ninja? It wouldn't make any sense at all."
If the plot is written in a way that calls for it, it absolutely can make sense.

aBarreras

Doubt it. What would be the point for Zelda to dress up again as Shiek? It wouldn't make any sense at all.

do you know something that we dont about the setting and the story of this zelda?

We're doing the whole gender discussion thing again? We've had like 4 full threads of this!

I mean, I like the discussion and all but it always goes around in circles with the same points made:

1. Person A says Link could be female.
  2. Person B says Link is male
  3. Person A says all Links known so far are male, next one could be female
  4. Person B says Link is a character, not a concept, use Linkle
  5. Person A points out Linkle is not Link, seperate characters
  6. Person B is okay with multiple characters for diversity, recomends playable Zelda
  7. Person A says playing as Zelda'd be cool but they want Female Link since Links are different characters
  8. Person B mentions all Links being reincarnations of the Hero
  9. Person A responds with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as proof of this not being true, and points out that reincarnation does not necesarily mean same gender.
  10. Person B says that Link is a character from Marketing stand-point, mentions Smash Bros.
  11. Person A suggests that next Smash could just have gender options, marketing still uses male version.
  12. Person B argues that the stories of the Zelda games wouldn't make sense if Link was a boy.
  13. Person A points out that barring a few games (i.e. Wind Waker) most plots are gender neutral barring pronouns
And it goes on, and on. People join the discussion in the middle, arguing points that have already been made, people misuse the term "Hero of Time" as if that's the catch all term for the Hero, others bring the non-canonical Skyward Sword manga, I bring out the image of the Hero Spirit concept art from Twilight Princes where it's female, someone joins the discussion by just saying point 1 again and it starts all over again.

Actually that sounds fun, can we do that? I'll start:

Link could be female.

Person C says: are we really having this discussion again?

Meesh

Hey I'm tired of it too!

Crazy ass weird Zelda off the wall hope: they bring back pink "bunny Link". Hey, could be an amusing thing. A little nostalgia, a wink to ALttP...maybe there's another Dark World segment and he's trapped or cursed into this form again :)

Imagine this before OoT... "What would be the point for Zelda to dress up as a male ninja? It wouldn't make any sense at all."
If the plot is written in a way that calls for it, it absolutely can make sense.

Well, I just doubt that...at best we will see new members of the Shiekah tribe or more of Impa. I would bet that we don't see Shiek ever again in a mainline Zelda game as one of the main characters.

Tuesday should give us a clearer picture of what we should expect for this Zelda.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Well, I just doubt that...at best we will see new members of the Shiekah tribe or more of Impa. I would bet that we don't see Shiek ever again in a mainline Zelda game as one of the main characters.

Tuesday should give us a clearer picture of what we should expect for this Zelda.

Man, I hope the Shiekah play a bigger part in this. I mean, chances are they do, given the Shiekah motif/eye symbol's apparent importance, but I want to see them actually do stuff and having more than one tribesperson.

sinxtanx

Code:
██╗    ██╗██╗  ██╗ ██████╗      ██████╗ █████╗ ██████╗ ███████╗███████╗
██║    ██║██║  ██║██╔═══██╗    ██╔════╝██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔════╝██╔════╝
██║ █╗ ██║███████║██║   ██║    ██║     ███████║██████╔╝█████╗  ███████╗
██║███╗██║██╔══██║██║   ██║    ██║     ██╔══██║██╔══██╗██╔══╝  ╚════██║
╚███╔███╔╝██║  ██║╚██████╔╝    ╚██████╗██║  ██║██║  ██║███████╗███████║
 ╚══╝╚══╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝      ╚═════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝╚══════╝

let's just pretend Link isn't even in the game, that's just a new character with a blue tunic

I've put together a deliberately overreaching dream

Traversal
As previously revealed, Link has a sailcloth, and can safely travel down from anywhere. But what you haven't realized is that the grappling hook returns, and it's better than the one in Uncharted 4. Can grapple onto most everything for scaling even the tallest mountain. Oh, and when you get wind magic from the windfish the sailcloth is used to warp. The windfish is in this game, obviously.

Weather
The weather in this game is no joke. It's a full-world weather simulation cold fronts and all, can be manipulated with magic. After receiving the Lens of Truth, using it on the map screen shows a live weather map. Those thrifty Sheikah, I tells ya.

Combat
You play this game and the combat is standard Zelda for a couple dungeons, right? You didn't expect much more than that and it's alright, no biggie when BOOM DEATH MOUNTAIN EXPLODES and you get a timeskip and then your mentor tells you that your sword skill sucks. Had you been better at swords this would never have happened but fear not I have the address of a totally sick sword instructor. You go there and is greeted by an old man who accepts you into his home and begins teaching you the finer arts of swordfighting. Turns out all the advanced techniques from Twilight Princess is in this game after all. And the precision swings from Skyward Sword? Right analog stick when Z-targeting. That's right. You are now ready to face the toughest competition in Zelda history as the game seriously steps up its combat game for the final six acts.

Enemies
You know how when you see an enemy in a Zelda game you beat it in the same way every time? THAT'S GONE BABY now enemies have varying personalities, use different weapons, with ranks like Pawn, Sergeant, Captain, Commander and the dreaded Generals all using different tactics at different skill levels. Oh, and there's roaming parties of enemies that might try to hunt you down.

Zelda
She's a redhead for some reason. Bookish. Doing research or whatever on that blue stuff. I know this 'cause I saw it in an actual dream.

B Quest
What better way to wind down after completing the game but with ANOTHER GAME? That's right fellas B Quest returns! In the B Quest you have a loftwing and the overworld is completely different and all the dungeons are open from the start and there's no story you just get a sword and GO.

Set your expectations accordingly

Dice//

Banned
Tablet of Time.

7iLb88Z.gif

Let's get back to dissecting that picture in the OP! Does no one else really see the triforce mark on the back of Epona's hoof?

Epona is the new hero of time.

Poyunch

One thing I hope they do but probably won't is make a more complex physics system.

It's an unfair comparison but the water rising scenario looks so mechanical and dated in Skyward Sword when within the same timespan Uncharted 3 released with the boat level.

Like even riding your sailcloth felt so mechanical. There was a lack of momentum.

ReyVGM

A cool side series could be "The Legend of Link" with Zelda as the lead. Have it be an offshoot series like how Paper Mario co-exists with the main Mario series.

The gameplay could be more RPG oriented, or a bit more action focused with her using magic and a bow and arrow (think Bayonetta), but nothing as extreme as Sim City Zelda.

The quicker everyone forgets about that flop Linkle, the better.

I have some name ideas for that:
Link: The Faces of Evil
Or
Zeldas's Adventure

One thing I hope they do but probably won't is make a more complex physics system.

It's an unfair comparison but the water rising scenario looks so mechanical and dated in Skyward Sword when within the same timespan Uncharted 3 released with the boat level.

Like even riding your sailcloth felt so mechanical. There was a lack of momentum.
Yeah, it's clear Nintendo doesn't really that much effort into making its systems "realistic." I mean it is kinda unnecessary, but it would be nice. The sailcloth seems to be pretty much the same in Zelda U, though, judging from the video game award footage.

Jarsonot

It'd be cool if you could play as BOTH link and Zelda. Switchable on the fly, maybe?

Maybe they're cursed and only one can be active at a time, the other turning into a statue. If you die as link, Zelda has to make it to his statue to revive him, and vice-versa. Some dungeons link only, some dungeons Zelda only, some dungeons swap between both.

Items could do different things depending on the character, and each plays differently. Maybe they'd each get a copy of every item, maybe they'd have to divvy them up, I don't know.

Could be cool though.

Oh wait, instead of statues, maybe the "inactive" one turns into the horse.

Dice//

Banned
It'd be cool if you could play as BOTH link and Zelda. Switchable on the fly, maybe?

I'd love to see a dual-protagonist story. Link obviously from whatever forested backwater place he's from, living in some treehouse, and Zelda in a castle.
Awesome.

Top Bottom