• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

DarkFlow

Banned
No, she's never really liked being swaddled, she always busts out.
I wish ours hated swaddling, he won't take naps or goto bed without it. I'm just hoping at one point he'll not want it anymore. As it is he seems to hate sleep, he won't really take naps during the day and he ends of cranky.

CrankyJay

Banned
Any sleep-training tips? Our little one is coming up on seven months, we've got her transitioned into the crib in her own room and she goes down easily enough but she's up several times a night on a fairly predictable schedule. What I wouldn't give for her to be sleeping through the night!

Damn...my daughter has been sleeping through the night since 3-4 weeks old and we moved her into her crib at 2 months on the dot.

No, she's never really liked being swaddled, she always busts out.

Are you trying to swaddle them yourself or are you using the velcro sleep sacks? We use the velcro sleep sacks because I can't swaddle worth a damn and my daughter is wrapped up tight. Occasionally she'll slip an arm out, but this helps her sleep through the night.

Also, do you have a routine set up at this point? Like bath, bottle, bed? Might help her get ready to sleep through the night.

Also, do you have a routine set up at this point? Like bath, bottle, bed? Might help her get ready to sleep through the night.

This was going to be my suggestion. Same times for everything, every time.

Routine, routine, routine. At least that's what worked for our 2 little ones. Results may vary though!

Any sleep-training tips? Our little one is coming up on seven months, we've got her transitioned into the crib in her own room and she goes down easily enough but she's up several times a night on a fairly predictable schedule. What I wouldn't give for her to be sleeping through the night!

We had great luck with this book on both of our kids
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060742569/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess you could call it Ferber Lite, if the kid cries, put her back down 2 or 3 times. After that pick her up and reset, don't let it go hours like Ferber. It also understands that sleep training a baby is as much about training the parents as training the kid.

mrkgoo

See my multiple and extended posts on the previous page on exactly this.

We tried a 'sleep' routine from a book called 'sleep sense program', firstly because she started crying as soon as we put her on the cot. My wife wanted to do it to get though the night.

The key concepts were that baby WANTS to sleep, but doesn't know how. Chances are you've been doing something to get her to sleep (or resleep if she has awaken), so all they know is to cry and get you to do whatever it is you do.

Program focuses on establishing a routine so sleep is something they learn to do on their own and something they can see coming up and not just out of nowhere.

To be honest we were largely following a routine already so it only took a little modifying, and while results may have been coincidental, we are just thankful that we have a positive change.

After just over a week, baby slept through the night which she has basically never done before, and did it every night since then. 7 days and counting of pretty mcuh uninterrupted sleep from 9pm to 8am ish. 10-11 hours sleep per night.

She wakes occasionally, but after some half-hearted cries for a few minutes, goes back to sleep.

Just make sure that the evening wakes aren't because she's actually hungry. Shouldn't ignore a hungry baby.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We had great luck with this book on both of our kids
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060742569/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess you could call it Ferber Lite, if the kid cries, put her back down 2 or 3 times. After that pick her up and reset, don't let it go hours like Ferber. It also understands that sleep training a baby is as much about training the parents as training the kid.
I used a Ferber type method on my son and it worked in about two days. He only cried for more than 5 minutes a couple of times though so he was already pretty close to sleeping through the night anyway.

We lucked out and my son started sleeping through the night, on his own, by three months. We were talking about using the Ferber method and even bought a book on the subject, but we ended up not needing it. I just hope my twins are going to be as easy as our son.

What's the Ferber method?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferber_method
Dr. Richard Ferber discusses and outlines a wide range of practices to teach an infant to sleep. The term ferberization is now popularly used to refer to the following techniques:
Take steps to prepare the baby to sleep. This includes night-time rituals and day-time activities.
At bedtime, leave the child in bed and leave the room.
Return at progressively increasing intervals to comfort the baby (without picking him or her up). For example, on the first night, some scenarios call for returning first after three minutes, then after five minutes, and thereafter each ten minutes, until the baby is asleep.
Each subsequent night, return at intervals longer than the night before. For example, the second night may call for returning first after five minutes, then after ten minutes, and thereafter each twelve minutes, until the baby is asleep.
The technique is targeted at infants as young as 4 months of age. A few babies are capable of sleeping through the night at 3 months, and most are capable of sleeping through the night at 6 months. Before 6 months of age, the baby may still need to feed during the night and it is probable that the baby will require a night feeding before three months.
Ferber made some modifications in the 2006 edition of his book Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems. He is now more open to co-sleeping and feels different approaches work for different families, children & situations.[4]

My daughter slept through the night from about two months until a year and two months old.

After two months of putting up with bad sleep we went ahead with "Sleep Training" or the Ferber method.

First night sucked, she cried and cried but we persisted on one minute, three minute, five minute and then ten minute... eventually she slept through the night. Took an hour and a half.

Second night, same, forty-five minutes.

Third night, same, thirty minutes.

Fourth night, for whatever reason she got so upset she threw up and we had to bathe her etc. after the bath it only took ten minutes.

By the fifth night and ever since, we get her tired, kiss her etc. good night, drop in the crib and through the night she goes.

It's probably more painful on the parent hearing your child cry like that but it works and is proven to do so. Know your own child's crying and know the difference between they need you and are trying to get you.

Flek

Banned
but just so that you know the ferber method is highly controversial - because you might actually harm your baby!

Arguments against the Ferber method

Although studies show that extinction sleep training can be very effective in eliminating bedtime protests and stalling tactics, many people—parents, pediatricians, and researchers included—worry about potential side effects.

Leaving children alone to cry seems to violate our deepest instincts, and no wonder. For most of human history, our ancestors biggest sleep problem was almost certainly the avoidance of predators.

Like modern-day hunter-gatherers, our ancestors slept communally and shared “watch” duties (Worthman and Melby 2002). Children snuggled up to their parents and siblings. And if children cried out, it was important to soothe them quickly to reduce the chances of attracting predators to the camp.

In this setting--the setting that characterized millions of years of human and pre-human evolution--leaving a child alone at night would have constituted child abandonment, if not attempted infanticide.

Our evolutionary past has left its stamp in our brains. When babies and children are left alone at night, they are likely to experience one of the most primal and powerful stressors known to young animals--separation anxiety (Panksepp 2000). Separation anxiety is a panic response arising from a primitive part of brain that also processes information about physical pain (Panksepp 2000).

Concerns about separation anxiety and stress have led some pediatricians, researchers, and therapists to worry about the adverse effects of the Ferber method on a child’s health and well-being (e.g., Sears and Sears 1996; Commons and Miller 1998; Sunderland 2006).

How does the Ferber method affect a child’s stress response system? His relationship to his parents? His developing personality?

Advocates of extinction training note that no studies yet have demonstrated that the Ferber method harms children over 6 months old.

But this is a little like saying there are no studies demonstrating that frog-kissing is harmful. The truth is that there just hasn’t been much research to resolve the question.

Studies of human infants confirm that crying is physiologically stressful—increasing a baby’s blood pressure, heart rate, and cortisol levels (Levesque et al 2000; Luddington-Hoe et al 2002). Do the intensified crying bouts—the so-called “extinction bursts”—associated with the Ferber method put babies at risk? No one yet has tested this hypothesis.

Nor has anyone has examined the long-term impact of the Ferber method. As of March 2008, I can find no controlled, scientific studies that have attempted to measure the long-term effects of sleep training on a child’s

• physiological stress response

• attachment relationship with parents

• emotional development

• personality development, or

• expression of physical affection

These shortcomings have been noted by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (Mindell et al 2006). In a recent review of 52 studies of sleep training, the authors note that more research is required to assess the impact of treatment on “mood, behavior and development” (Mindell et al 2006).

Perhaps just as important, the authors note that we lack information about how individual differences among children might affect sleep training outcomes (Mindell et al 2006). Different children have different temperaments and different needs. Some children have special problems with anxiety, or more difficultly coping with negative emotions. These kids may find the Ferber method especially distressing.​

mrkgoo

but just so that you know the ferber method is highly controversial - because you might actually harm your baby!
Interesting.

We followed a method that was very similar. Bub only cried for a couple nights and now sleeps through the night mostly. Occasionally 'wakes' and cries for up to 10 minutes, but usually it's a weak intermittent cry that passes (I say 'wakes', because she doesn't actually seem to be awake as such, eyes closed, rolling about, but not really totally aware of her surroundings).

There's so much I do and stuff out there it's hard to know what's 'right'. It seems everything you do potentially 'harms' your baby.

I'm not sure how crying for so little can cause long term anguish, but I'm not a scientist.

I can see how maybe if people continued doing it for weeks, made no progress but continued to do it. I'd be flabbergasted if one day research comes out and says I've ruined my child's life because I let her cry for two hours over the span of four days.

mrkgoo

I'm not sure how crying for so little can cause long term anguish, but I'm not a scientist.

I can see how maybe if people continued doing it for weeks, made no progress but continued to do it. I'd be flabbergasted if one day research comes out and says I've ruined my child's life because I let her cry for two hours over the span of four days.

True. I guess there's a balance in everything, as always.

Chances are there is probably truth in it all, but like everything else in biology, an isolated situation kinda means nothing - other factors can be more influential etc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In a similar manner having the baby sleep in a crib at all is unnatural and could potentially harm your baby (or not). Constantly picking them up when they start crying could potentially harm your baby (or not). Having them sleep in bed with you is the closest to 'nature' but that can definitely harm them in the wrong circumstances.
Ultimately you have to make decisions on what you think is best for your child and for you as a parent(s). The best for your child might be wrong for someone else's, and choosing what is 'best' may just be a crap shoot anyway.

squirrelly

Does anyone else make their own baby food? She's had 3 or 4 of the organic pouches of sweet potato, but everything else has been homemade. The pediatrician wants us to start meats now, so we baked chicken breasts and blended them. (YUM lol) She was a little grossed out, as were we, but she still ate it mixed with squash. We've been doing acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkin, apple, banana, some carrot, avocado, pears, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, a little bit of green beans... I bought some carrots, green beans, asparagus, and parsnips, so I'm going to make those for her this weekend.

Anything your kiddos preferred? I've heard turkey was a big favorite.

ALSO - car seats. We want to have her rear-facing for 2 years, but I'm getting sick of the infant car seat. Anyone have postive/negative experience with any of the many, many makes/models of convertible car seats? Anything I should keep an eye out for, good or bad? We have a small SUV and a WRX we'll be buying seats for, so size could be a factor.

We do a mix of homemade purees, finger foods from our CSA box, and organic and grassfed stuff that we can't make. She's had 2 organic fruit packets we got as samples, and 2 organic jarred foods we got to test new flavors. Here's a list of what she's had so far:

banana
sweet potato
potato
applesauce
persimmon
beet
greek yogurt
plain yogurt
peas
cherry applesauce
carrots
carrot, leek, potato mash
grape applesauce
pear
sharp cheddar cheese
satsuma
strawberry applesauce
mascarpone cheese
butter
strawberry raspberry sauce
mangos
cucumbers
goat cheese
brie
raw apples

I also add butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla to some things. We're going to branch out with other flavors and spices now that those have been tried out. One of the jarred foods we tried had chicken in it. It didn't agree with her so we'll hold off on meat for another few weeks (she'll be 7 months Feb. 2nd). My babies at work usually started with egg yolks, liver, and fish. Pork's a good first too since it's pretty bland.

Car seats - our kid's a chunk and she likes sitting up straight, so we ditched the infant seat a few weeks ago. She's in a rear facing Maxi Cosi Pria and will stay rear facing as long as she's at or under the height and weight requirements, hopefully well past past age two. We have a smallish SUV (Ford Escape Hybrid) and there are several inches between the top of the car seat and the driver's seat.

Overall, I like the seat a lot. It goes from 5 to 70lbs, and rear faces to 40lbs. It's easy to adjust - once the TinyFit infant insert is out and the straps threaded, they never have to be rethreaded. You just move the back and headrest up and down to fit the size of the kid. The install's fairly easy if you have another person there to put weight on the seat. It weighs a fucking ton though so it's no good for travel. We have a separate lightweight seat for traveling.

I had a lot of issues with putting my son to sleep. The first few months he slept on his mother. Then when he got bigger he slept in a swing. We probably would have kept it up if he had not fallen asleep on the floor one day. That is when I decided to put him in the crib, in his own room. We had pads on the crib and he was placed on his back to help prevent SIDs, but I still felt guilty about leaving my son alone in a room to sleep by himself. So I would wait, out of sight so he wouldn't see me as a distraction, and would leave after he cried himself to sleep.

I knew it wasn't helping him sleep better, but in my mind, it was like saying, 'I'm not doing this so I can be with out you. I'm doing this because sleep is good for you.' When he was old enough to roll around and start standing in his crib, I would wait outside his door. When I was sure he was asleep, I would go back downstairs to my wife. During this entire time, after starting with the crib, he would wake up 2-3 times a night. I would always get up with him, offer him a bottle, change his diaper, and put him back to bed. That continued for another year or so.

If you're reading this and thinking, "This guy is crazy and doing it all wrong," then you'd be right. The night time feedings didn't bother me so much because I'd fall back asleep with in minutes. As he grew older the types of bottles I'd have to assemble in the middle of the night changed and so did the steps, but it was never something I wasn't willing to do. He was so calm and sleepy, that it was a rare moment between just me and my son.

Eventually he did start sleeping though the night. We switched the bottles at night over to water to break him of the habit of being hungry at night, and we closed his door at night as well so I wouldn't wake up from the crys that happen between sleep cycles. He has even started sleeping with a blanket and stuffed animals to the point where he'll lay down and make sleep noises until I leave.

TL;DR : Go with the method you feel is best, and don't treat one person's experience as the guiding example.

A tired baby and two miserable parents with no patience does more harm than good as well, IMO.

I'm no scientist but I've used the ferber method on both my girls and they are about as happy and sociable as children can get. One if 6 years old (and will talk you ear off if you give her a chance) and the other is 1 years old. The 1 year old hit a big wall at 8 months after sleeping through the night since she was two months old. Teething was part of it but the other was an inability to put herself to sleep. After a week or using the Ferber method, she slept like a... (wait for it) baby. Happier baby in the morning, far happier parents.

Letting your baby outright cry it out for hours is not OK in my eyes either but then that's not what Ferber recommends. You are supposed to go in to console your child at regular intervals. All the while extending those intervals as you train your child. Be there for them, tell them its ok and then leave. Don't pick them up and don't create poor sleep associations (i.e. I can only sleep when daddy holds me or when mommy gives me a bottle).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just wanted to remind GAF new parents that after the first six months or so, it gets a lot worse for about four years.

Sleep tight.

Goodlife

Hello this thread!

Got 2 daughters, one 2 and a bit, the other 6 and a bit months.
Maybe another on the way (we shall see, wife is convinced she is....)

Sleep:
Daughter 1 never really had any problems with. She didn't start sleeping through till she was gone 1, but was only waking once and went back down quickly, so never bothered to fight it, just left her get on with things at her own pace. Loves bed and sleep now, usually about 12 hours a night.

Daughter 2..... still waking every hour or 2 a night. Bit of a pain, as she won't take a bottle or anything, so nights out have been very rare for my wife, which gets hard after a while, just being able to pop over a friends house for a few hours in an evening is a great release, but rarely manages to do it.

Going to have to get tough on her, maybe starting tonight...... getting a bit silly now! She's eating "ok" so hunger is not the reason and she goes down great, so clearly tired.

aceface

Fucker...I JUST emailed my wife how our 3 month old kid is awesome. LOL.

Don't listen to him. 3 months to walking was my favorite baby age with my first two. They get past that newborn screaming all the time not sleeping phase, but you can still just put them down and they won't go anywhere. Once they go mobile it's a whole new ballgame but it's still easier than having a newborn IMO.

Fusebox

Banned
Well, as of last night my bubs is now officially walking. She can do about 10 steps or so without any support before toppling over.

Time to take Operation Babyproof House to Defcon 4.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, as of last night my bubs is now officially walking. She can do about 10 steps or so without any support before toppling over.

Time to take Operation Babyproof House to Defcon 4.

Have you tried that thing about giving her a stick to hold so she thinks she has support even if she hasn't? Heard damn good reports of it, though I never tried it myself.

kitch9

Banned

So I'm confused, how is months and months of crying and disturbed sleep for the entire family better than a couple of nights inconvenience?

Fact is none of us can remember anything from before we were 2-3 years old, I can't see how it can affect anything, never mind the fact they don't understand language, so how can the baby rationalise

Ecrofirt

My wife is due soon with our second child, and I want to get her something nice.

I feel it's bad mojo to pick up a mother's necklace before our daughter is born, so I don't want to do that until Mother's Day.

Anyone have any good suggestions? With Valentine's day being so close I'm unsure of what to do that won't really overlap. Perhaps, though, I should overlap things. I'm just not sure.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
My wife is due soon with our second child, and I want to get her something nice.

I feel it's bad mojo to pick up a mother's necklace before our daughter is born, so I don't want to do that until Mother's Day.

Anyone have any good suggestions? With Valentine's day being so close I'm unsure of what to do that won't really overlap. Perhaps, though, I should overlap things. I'm just not sure.

I've got a bead shop. Can make you up a nice necklace/earrings/bracelets etc. Did a similar thing for IamMikeside recently - basically, tell me roughly what you what, I post pics of what we have got that is close, you pick, I make and post pic and if you are happy I'll post it and bill you. (If you're not happy, I'll sell it to someone else!)

That is rank advertising and probably against the rules, but hell it might work. I don't make these offers all that often. Got too much else to do.

mrkgoo

So I'm confused, how is months and months of crying and disturbed sleep for the entire family better than a couple of nights inconvenience?

Fact is none of us can remember anything from before we were 2-3 years old, I can't see how it can affect anything, never mind the fact they don't understand language, so how can the baby rationalise

It's not a rational thing. It's developmental and psychological. Like the crying raises stress hormone levels and so on. Some say deep seated abandonment issues, not feeling safe etc. one thing I read was that brain development occurs best and optimally when baby has a sense of 'safety'.

But I agree with you. We did a sort of sleep program that involved a bit of crying in the first couple days and just soothing during wakes. Those ten minutes of crying actually saved the much more frequent crying from waking all the time and not being able to sleep.

The key point we learned was that baby WANTS to sleep, but when they don't know how to soothe or settle themselves, they need YOU and the only way to get you is to cry.

Crying is a fact of life with babies, but there is a difference between crying to want something and the stressed crying of NEEDING something (like pain, or hunger). Most of the wakeful cries are the former and you can supposedly teach them to not be that needy.

aceface

My 5 week old picked up a bit of a cold from my four year old son. Nothing that bad she's just a bit congested. But, every time she's about to fall asleep she chokes on phlegm a bit and it wakes her up. I haven't slept in 2 days. :((((((((((

I did just watch Jimmy Fallon's late night show for the first time ever. It was pretty funny. The performance by Jim James was amaaaaazing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Looks like my little guy has reflux :( He'll take 2 ounces and then start spitting up, arching his back, and crying. He is almost 6 weeks and is gaining weight (over 10.5 pounds from 8 at birth) but damn, he feeds every 2-3 hours with 30 minutes of consoling if he gets too fussy. The doc recommended simethicone drops before feeds and lots of burping, if we do that and get lucky he'll take 3-5 oz and pass out :)

We have him sleeping in an inclined swing chair or bouncy chair, keep him upright after feeds for 20 min or so before changing his diaper(this is the other perilous time, he can spit up and get the hiccups during diaper changes).

Whew, lots of work but at least he is gaining weight and hopefully he will grow out of it soon. He sleeps fairly well at night but can't go long before feeding, then it is a tense crap shoot to see if he does well or spits up and fusses for an hour.

On the plus side I am getting through a TON of Netflix shows :) on the downside, the wife questions all the sketch crap showing up on the "recently viewed" list (Sleeping Beauty (sleep creep version), I'm looking at you!).

Any recommendations for dealing with reflux?

Az

We got about 3 weeks left. Wife complains about swelling in feet and sore hands. Packed the hospital bag over the weekend, I guess we are kind of ready.

We got about 3 weeks left. Wife complains about swelling in feet and sore hands. Packed the hospital bag over the weekend, I guess we are kind of ready.

What are you going to have the baby sleep in initially? One thing I'd recommend doing soon is setting that up. My wife's water broke early and I didn't have the pack-n-play set up in our bedroom, so I had to do it after getting back from the hospital.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
A firm welcome to the new faces. Congrats and make sure you enjoy it. Parenthood is the best thing that has happened to me

Az

What are you going to have the baby sleep in initially? One thing I'd recommend doing soon is setting that up. My wife's water broke early and I didn't have the pack-n-play set up in our bedroom, so I had to do it after getting back from the hospital.

I've set all that up as soon as she had her baby shower. We have a bassinet and a crib but we are currently in a small apartment so no hurry on the crib. We are moving in April so that's when I am setting that up.

railGUN

Banned
Yaaaaaaaaawn. Our 2week old is a night hawk. She sleeps all day, and melts down starting around 1am. Oh we'll, could be worse.

I've set all that up as soon as she had her baby shower. We have a bassinet and a crib but we are currently in a small apartment so no hurry on the crib. We are moving in April so that's when I am setting that up.

Cool. We had the nursery all set up, but we didn't move our daughter into the crib until 8 weeks. I had planned on setting up the pack-n-play in our room that weekend, but then you know, kiddo decided to show up early. Putting together a pack-n-play is super easy now, but it's pretty hard to do the first time as a new, sleep-deprived father.

Throwing this out there for anyone with a toddler:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...2012-06-06/child-safety-seat-latch/55452346/1

Don't listen to him. 3 months to walking was my favorite baby age with my first two. They get past that newborn screaming all the time not sleeping phase, but you can still just put them down and they won't go anywhere. Once they go mobile it's a whole new ballgame but it's still easier than having a newborn IMO.

No way. Not at all. Newborns and babies are by far easier on average than a toddler.

Coming up on a year next week, and it's still good.

[knocks on wood]

Ours was pretty good and easy up until about 20 or 21 months. So you're not out of the woods yet =)

Staal

Our son was born last Saturday evening, what an amazing moment that was. With him the only problem is cramps after eating, so we're trying to find a solution quickly.

I also have to say, my wife was in labour for a long time. It took 36 hours and she was physically and emotionally broken. Although it's very much worth it, for now the price is pretty high.

Also actually living the thread title, posting this around 4 am and had about half an hour of sleep.

our baby boy was born at home on dec 22.

mom felt a pop at 2:40am, there was trickling and we called our midwife and spent an hour monitoring and called again. the contractions were intense, the mucus plug broke and there was water everywhere. she did some intense pushing and our midwife had to go in there to push the cervix out of the way. baby came four and a half hours later. 6 pounds 7 ounces!

CrankyJay

Banned
My kid just turned 3 months yesterday and today she is picking up her rattle and holding onto it and holding it in the air. I'm really happy about this for some reason, lol.

oktarb

My newest addition to the Magic The Gathering: Parent Expansion

602863_10200285247676386_556705417_n.jpg

Top Bottom